[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/aq/ Aquarium General - Hungry Cichlid Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 344
Thread images: 59

File: 144805-800x533r1-oscareating.jpg (45KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
144805-800x533r1-oscareating.jpg
45KB, 800x533px
Old thread >>2432507

Discuss anything aquarium related here, including inhabitants, decor and issues.

Google is your friend.
Feel free to ask questions but know that there are a lot of resources out there that could answer your question a lot faster and accurately than /an/.

Make sure to include these things in your post before asking because we can't help you if we don't have the full picture:
-tank size (include dimensions, not just volume)
-parameters (ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, pH, GH, KH)
-any and all inhabitants + how long you've had them

Links:
Tank Cycling:
https://www.petcha.com/freshwater-aquarium-cycling/
https://www.petcha.com/fishless-aquarium-cycling-method/
Care Guides:
>http://seriouslyfish.com/
Plants and Animals for sale:
>http://www.petsolutions.com/
>http://www.aquabid.com/
>http://www.liveaquaria.com/
Database for aquatic plants and their parameters
>http://www.flowgrow.de/db/aquaticplants
>>
Is a python no drip system worth the money? Are there any alternatives that will do the job just as well?

I ask this because I'm getting sick of doing water changes on my 50 gallon with a bucket, plus today I had to set up a 20 gallon to move the inhabitants of the 50gal into that so I can totally overhaul the 50gal and it took so much longer than it should have.
>>
>>2439872
Go to Wal-Mart, buy a 5 dollar 50 foot water hose, go to home depot and get a water hose strainer adapter for your sink. Same thing, much cheaper. Just drain the hose into the tub or out a window.

Much more effective and reaches farther.
I've got both and only use the python thing when i need the gravel vacuum.
>>
>>2439872
What I did for my 45 gallon was buy a 25 litre fuel canister, and fit a hose connector to the lid. When I vacuum the tank, I've made a mark on the filter for where the water level is after I've drained 25 litres, so I just put the vacuum hose out of the window next to the tank until I've drained enough water. Then I lift the water can onto the windowsill, plug the hose in, lay the hose end in the tank, and tip the can over. Water changes only take a few minutes this way.

The reason I don't use something like the python system is because my tap water is extremely hard, so I need to mix a buffer. I just do that right into the 25l can.
>>
>>2439876
Aren't hospipes full of shitty chemicals that can leech into your water?

I'm a britbong actually so no wallywall for me, but I'm sure I can find the right length of clear hose and an adapter somewhere.
>>
File: 0725171541.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
0725171541.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
Do you guys have any advice on cleaning dirty water? I got some rocks from a friend and added them without washing and now my water is a nice brown color.
>>
>>2439881
Never heard that, sounds like a good sales pitch for overpriced crap with a fish picture on it.

Electric blue rams don't care so I don't care.
>>
>>2439881
I've never heard that, but if you're worried, leave water running through it for a day or two before using it. Anything potent enough to hurt the fish should be leeched away by then.
>>
>>2439886
>>2439890
Awesome, I think I'll do that then.

Forgive my semi noobish questions, I've "kept" fish for about 5 years now but honestly my love of the hobby waned horribly after a power cut killed my first community tank and then a blown heater killed my angels about a year later.

I've currently got a huge stock of 4 black ruby barbs and 1 clown pleco in my 50gal, aside from upping the barbs to about 8 what other tank mates should I consider? I'm a big fan of barbs and catfish.
>>
Reposting
So i just got back from the creek which is like 20 min walking distance from where i live. i spent 30 minutes walking along the path. Coudnt find any good driftwood. So i spend another 30 min walking back and i find a perfect piece of wood (shit was so cash) so im trying to get out but its really dense with trees and branches. As im trying to get out i slip and slide like 10 feet on dirt and rocks. I would have just left but i left the driftwood up there. I decide to climb back up but theres nothing to hold on except a bit of root. I cant leave that wood behind so i gather all the energy i have to run up there like link in botw. I make it and all of a sudden i hear some teenager (probably stoners) say good job climbing that. I thanked them and walked home tired like a man thirsty af

I got some weird stares walking back with driftwood in hand ono
>>
>>2439882
The fine particulate will be removed with water changes over time, and the majority of it will settle into the bottom, below the gravel. It will go away with time. If you try to force it you will only make it worse.
>>
Would ten neon tetra, a betta, and 6-8Harlequin Rasbora. be too much for a ten gallon? Not just filtration capacity, but actual space for the fish too?
>>
>>2439912
not enough space for two schools. Some people will be offended over putting even one in there.
>>
>>2439912
That's a little crowded. I'd pick either neon or rasbora. You may want to make sure the betta you pick is female too since they are less aggressive. Bettas are sometimes mean sometimes not, but females are always less aggressive. I also think rasboras are cool as hell, so get those.
>>
File: 20170723_152538.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170723_152538.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
Whats wrong with him? Cant find anything on google besides ick and some thread about angelfish
>>
What light would you recommend for a 20 gallon tank that I'm gonna start fertilizing and co2? I thinking of getting a light that's better than the 15W fluorescent bulb that came with the tank.
I don't want it to be too bright, cause I don't want too much plant growth and have to fertilize everyday.

is it worth it to get a nice set of LED lights or something?
>>
>>2439912
Definitely too small all those. I would get the rasboras and skip the neons or vice versa.
>>
>>2440059
Beamswork 24" is an option. It's inexpensive too
>>
File: succ.jpg (154KB, 877x658px) Image search: [Google]
succ.jpg
154KB, 877x658px
>>
>>2439927
>>2439957
>>2440062
Well shit...

A friend gave me a little 5 gallon tank that already had the betta and four neon tetra in it.

He had got it for his daughter (of course) and she got bored after a month or so, so he took them to work and then got bored himself after a few more months.

He was going to flush them, so I offered to take them since I had an empty ten gallon that I was just using for some plants in my bathroom.

I looked up some basic care and switched them over with all their stuff that was in the tank and their filter. They all seem pretty chill and none look injured, but while I was doing that research, it was saying that you need schools of at least 6 to 8, so I wanted to do that at the very least. But the harlequins also looked pretty cool as well and I was interested.
>>
>>2439882
You could try freshwater clams if they are available. Purigen is magic, worked wonders in my tank. If you don't go with either of those, you could try filter floss, which is basically polyfill, the stuff you find in pillows and some blankets. Just make sure you get the stuff without the flame retardant if you decide to go with polyfill.
>>
>>2440085
>slp slp slp slp slp
>>
>>2440085
>tfw I've seen that picture a few times now and I just now noticed all the tiny baby fish.
>>
>>2440059
You really shouldn't worry about too much light. You can always dim lights via distance or a dimmer, but you can't make an insufficient light brighter.

Like >>2440079 suggests, plenty of cheap alternatives to the big names like Finnex.
>>
I currently have 3 planted tanks with CO2 (DIY and pressurized), filters, fish, inverts, etc.

I am interested in making a no-tech tank. I have a 3 gallon 'jar' and would like to put some sand/substrate in it, live plants/moss, and maybe some inverts. Then just stick it either near a window or my desk.

Has anyone had any luck with this or know of any good resources?
>>
File: 1342470564519.jpg (72KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
1342470564519.jpg
72KB, 800x450px
>>2440085
>>2440169
Holy shit that is kawaii.
>>
anyone ever done a dry start on an aquarium with plants?

to cut a long story short, really want a tank since its been years. I'm moving into my own home in approx 2 months and I'd like to have a relatively complete tank to move in. I'm thinking ill do a dry start now since I have everything but the tank and plants, then move over. either a 20 gallon long or a 40. undecided
>>
>>2440181
Walstad method?

Plenty of hits on Google. Not too popular around here I think.

Coincidentally, the suggested Google definition comes from the blog of a guy I bought some stems off of a while back (we both live in the DC/MD/VA area).
>>
File: ss+(2017-07-25+at+08.22.25).png (995KB, 723x834px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2017-07-25+at+08.22.25).png
995KB, 723x834px
This is definitely just some silicate loving white bacteria that flaked all over my nano right? The CO2 isn't eating it away is it? Is that why they sell, "CO2 proof" tubing?
>>
>>2440208
I have done it successfully in many nano tanks. In my experience the most important things to consider are substrate, lighting, temperature, and high initial co2. You can use a substrate that already has nutrients like aquasoils or use an inert substrate with root tabs and mild fertilizer sprayings. I found that plants establish much better with finer grain substrates. The lighting needs to be good initially especially if you want to grow carpeting plants. I learned this the hard way and had to double my lighting because nothing was growing. Temperature is important because I tried setting up a tank during winter when the air temp was around 65 in the room and everything died slowly. Once you get the growth you want it is important to dose higher than normal co2 when it's filled so the plants have an easier time to establish from their emersed form. Since I was doing it in tanks under 16 gallons I always used DIY co2 set ups with high output but shorter lived recipes. Eventually, I started dosing less and less co2 until I stopped it all together when everything established the way I wanted it to. A lot of plants will do well without co2 but things like high demanding dwarf baby tears will melt without it eventually. It is important to lower your lighting when the co2 is gone so there wont be an imbalance. I know it's pretty complicated in the beginning but I like it because you can grow plants FAST with a dry start and things like carpeting plants would fill up pretty quickly. It's also nice because you can get away with filling up the tank with those nicer plants that would grow very slowly in a normal lower tech set up. You will have to wait a while before you can add any livestock tho, the high co2 in the beginning can be deadly and that's why I'd recommend gradually removing it in the end so you can have a more stable easier to maintain tank.
>>
>>2440181
Back in college I kept cherry shrimp in 1 gallon pickle jars. I more or less followed the Walstad bowl resources - layer of organic potting soil in the bottom, a few hardy plants, and some shrimps. I started with 5 and ended up with who knows how many split between 3 jars.

This was basically maximum jank because I was a broke college kid - no light, no heat, just sat them on my windowsill to get indirect sunlight. I even skipped the sand cap because I didn't want to spend $5 on a bag of petstore sand, and actually got away with it because the dwarf sag turned the dirt into a solid block of roots within months. I did water changes by picking up the jar, pouring out half the water into a bucket, checking for shrimps and then dumping/refilling. They weren't very pretty jars, but everything seemed healthy and they needed very minimal maintenance.
>>
>>2440250
Damn, and here I am making all these plants for this Iwagumi-style 15G acrylic hex tank for my first shrimp tank. Maybe I should tone it down.
>>
File: stateofthetank.jpg (698KB, 1613x1210px) Image search: [Google]
stateofthetank.jpg
698KB, 1613x1210px
Not sure if calling myself the new tank idiot still applies, almost two months later. Did a 2.5 gallon water change on the tank and checked the parameters for the first time in about a week, then rearranged it and added a couple stones since I was in there and will be moving the whole thing soon and wanted to experiment.

My nitrates have risen to somewhere in the 40-80 range, so I am going to start doing a small water change daily to try and help bring it down gradually. I suspect my tap water is 20-40 ppm, and will test that tomorrow. Should I just find a way to stick a pothos' roots in there or try buying some water for changes?
>>
>>2440287
>Should I just find a way to stick a pothos' roots in there or try buying some water for changes?
Buying water for changes seems lame a shiiiiit unless you're running a salt water tank and buy RO/DI. Also I personally use pothos. You can use other plants too FYI, but pothos just happens to be known to be good and cheap as fuck.

Note that it won't do much if it's not growing much, meaning the pothos is best used if it is exposed to lots of light, although you will want to avoid having this extra light go into your tank as you could face an algae bloom.

I kind of doubt you have 20-40ppm tap, but if you do, that would suck ass. Good luck.

Also don't be afraid to do bigger water changes. All the fish I see are hardy and cheap.

Protip on Pothos though: try a plastic bathroom/kitchen caddy to start out. Just try not to get one so cheap that it's some Chinese chemical-leeching shit that kills babies.
>>
>>2440277
To be honest I'm still kind of amazed it worked. My only plants were dwarf sag, java moss and java fern, then some pond snails and the shrimps. I think you should go for the nice tank - the jars worked but they looked like hot garbage. It was impossible to see stuff unless you had your face right up against the glass, too.

What kind of shrimp are you getting?
>>
>>2440305
Just ten fancy guppies. Planning on getting an RODI unit for getting breeding quality water for my favorite fish down the road a ways, but yeah. My tank was testing 40 for a while at first is why I suspect the tap is high. Maybe the test was wonky because I did it after distubing half my substrate and accidentally releasing a buncha fert tab dust?
>>
>>2440287
Paint your background black dude. It will help hide all your wire's n shit. Joey has a good video on it. You can use cheap acrylic paint and paint it while it's set up and take it off easily if you don't like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqWAl5TpzY0
>>
>>2440328
I intend to(or at least shove paper of cardboard back there), been busy and also hard to do it with current setup.
>>
>>2440321
>What kind of shrimp are you getting?
Neocardina davidi, most likely yellow. I have some very nice colored blues in a community tank but I wanted a dedicated tank for them so they would be more prone to come out.

Choosing yellow this time as an experiment. I think it could look great with the aquascape I'm planning.

>>2440325
>Planning on getting an RODI unit for getting breeding quality water for my favorite fish down the road a ways
Discus?

>Maybe the test was wonky because I did it after distubing half my substrate and accidentally releasing a buncha fert tab dust?

Never used fert tabs myself, so I couldn't say.
>>
>>2439976
I don't know how to tell you this....but....your fish has a red tail.
>>
File: pearl gourami abrasion.jpg (3KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
pearl gourami abrasion.jpg
3KB, 300x168px
>>2439976
my gourami had the same thing but cleared up in a week or so. At the time I thought it was hole in the head syndrome. Also likelihood of ot just getting stuck and losing some scales. If it starts to fester/ doesn't clear up in the next 7 days would start to medicate it with scaleless-fish antibacterials .
>>
>>2440430
>>2439976
Yeah, it looks like he's just lost some scales to me too. Red-tailed sharks are pretty feisty fish so it wouldn't surprise me if he'd gotten in a fight.

My oscar sometimes loses scales when he decides to squeeze into a "cave" in his driftwood, and it looks exactly like that. He's back to normal after a few days. It's no worse for the fish than losing some hair/fur, the problem is when the damage penetrates the skin, but if that had happened you'd see pink/red in the scratched area.
>>
>>2440085
Every thread why
>>
Can too hard water kill a fish?
>>
>>2440825
It can make them stressed, and stress can kill.
>>
>>2440059
Your main concern with light is algae, not excess plant growth. I'd reccomend the beamswork lights, just make sure you get the right one. I believe I have the DA 6500k and it's working great so far. Finnex lights are much better if you have money to waste, though.
>>
>>2440829
In what way are they "much better?"
>>
>>2439912
I wouldn't personally keep a betta with a school of fish in a tank that small, and definitely not two schools. I also kept a school of neons in a 10g with a male betta before and I didn't feel like it was large enough. They're pretty active little guys, and also the betta can stress other fish out quite a bit in a small area. It should also be noted that neons can either be pretty hardy or nearly impossible to keep alive depending on where they're sourced from. Most people on forums that i've talked to think that neons do better at lower temps and that higher temps, like the 80+ that the betta would need, can be harmful. I hardly know anything about HRs since i've never kept them, but IIRC they are more temperature compatible with bettas.
If you bump up to a 20g, you could keep either 10 neons or HRs with the betta. There'd be less of a chance of having any problems between the two species and the fish would probably appreciate it. Honestly, get the biggest tank you can afford, especially if you're a noob. It'll be actually easier to maintain as far as parameters and you'll have some wiggle room to add more fish if you choose to. If you stick with a 10g, i'd go with no less than 6 HRs and i'd watch them carefully for any signs of fin nipping or stress in both the HRs and the bettas. Also, always add everything else before you add the betta.
>>
>>2440845
They're made better, they're less flimsy, and less ugly. I love my beamswork, and it's a great light, but it does have a very "budget" feel to it. A lot of people have problems with theirs or they come broken. To be fair, their customer service on amazon is phenomenal and they'd probably try to fix any problems you had. I believe the finnex lights also come with a controller, or at least a dimmer.
>>
>>2440825
Depends on the species, I'd think. Some fish need, or at least prefer, very soft water. It wouldn't kill any fish immediately in most cases I don't think, but it can stress them out and degrade their health overall like the other anon said.
>>
>>2440079
>>2440171
>>2440829

awesome, thanks guys!! I'll check out the beamswork lights
>>
Is it possible to catch a bristlenose pleco with a homemade snail trap (the kind you make from a plastic soda bottle), or would I be wasting my time?
>>
>>2440886
...Why the hell would you want to?
>>
>>2440888
Because the alternative is tearing out all my decorations, killing plants, leaving shit all over the tank, dead roots and such. This little fucker is impossible to catch. I've tried surprising him, I've tried luring him with algae tablets, but he just won't go anywhere near my net, and he flees God knows where when I try to catch him.
>>
What kind of cleaners go well with a betta?
I assume snails are easiest because to a betta im sure they might as well be rocks
Would a betta tend to bother amanos or even pygmy corys?
>>
>>2440903
Pygmy Cories are fine.

Amanos; it'll depend on the individual betta.
>>
>>2440903
Bettas will bother just about anything depending on their temperament. I would go with amano shrimp if I were you, but if your tank is big enough for cories why not get both amanos and cories? Make sure you have a proper school, of course. I'd also reccomend maybe taking your betta out of the tank for a while. If I were you, i'd take the betta out, completely rearrange the tank, add the new fish/shrimp, and reintroduce the betta a few days later. This will help stop the betta from feeling any territorial aggression. Make sure to watch all the fish for any signs of stress; it's pretty easy for bettas to be stressed out by tankmates and vice versa, especially if you have a smaller tank.
>>
>>2440846
Well...read this:
>>2440091

I mean, I'm kind of afraid to separate them now, wouldn't it just cause more problems if they got de-sensitized to each other?
>>
>>2440964
I dont even have the betta yet so thats not a problem, I was going to set it all up and add the betta after a little while
its a 10 gallon so I don't know if I could push pygmy corys and amanos. I was probably going to do about 6 of either one
>>
>>2440985
It's fine if they're already in together. I'd get a 20g if I were you.
>>
File: IMG_2294.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2294.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>house sitting for sister
>bettafish in this tank
>fins bent, broken, and severely bloated from being overfed
>layers and layers of shit in the gravel
>has a stupid fucking leaf hammock that they couldn't even bother to actually stick to the glass
>bring up the fact that they're taking awful care of it
>"well, anon, he's been just fine for OVER THREE YEARS!"
(p.s., that's complete bullshit, i've lived in the area with her for 3 years and the betta wasn't here when I moved. also, it was "paralyzed" for a few months)
>>
File: IMG_2295.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2295.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>2441039
But wait, there's more!
>they've had this tank for 6 months
>never once been cleaned, only occasionally topped off
>lid was totally covered in moldy food, algae, and calcium to the point where light barely got through
>stocking: two angelfish, two common plecos, a shitload of glo-fish
Why the fuck are people like this? I seriously don't understand how ANYBODY could fool themselves into thinking their fish are happy like this.
>>
>>2441039
>>2441042
yeah but you post sideways pictures so apparently stupidity runs in the family senpai
>>
File: ss+(2017-07-26+at+08.19.15).png (4MB, 1898x879px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2017-07-26+at+08.19.15).png
4MB, 1898x879px
Okay, I think I've finally finished planting. I think this is considered about as planted as you can get in a 3 gallon.

Also, are female betta's mentally challenged? I think this one might be retarded.
>>
File: 1496112233154.jpg (133KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1496112233154.jpg
133KB, 1280x720px
>>2441042
Just because a tank looks dirty doesn't always mean it isn't well maintained. If you kept fish you'd know aquariums get nasty. If all that shit is alive in the second tank they're obviously doing something right. I don't see any glo-fish either. Looks like neon tetras.
>>
>>2441034
I'll try and find one...craigslist isn't a good option for me around here, but maybe I'll get lucky at a second hand store or yard sale. Otherwise they are like 70 bucks, which I don't get considering the ten gallon is only about 15.

One more question though, would adding just a couple more neons to the current ten gallon, to make it a proper school, messing with them too much? One of the neons is a little asshole and chases everyone around, including the betta. The betta just ignore him though.

Then again, maybe he is just an asshole, and it doesn't have to do with the school size?
>>
>>2441075
Those tanks are still fucking tiny, and I barely know shit about fish man. Both angelfish and plecos get fucking huge
>>
>>2441075
>angelfish
>and plecos
>in that small of a shitty tank with all the tacky glofish gravel
Theres a difference between good care and "kept alive"
My cousin had a musk turtle in a tank with no heater filter or basking light/bulb and kept it "alive" for 4 years feeding it cheerios and popcorn
Granted water quality isnt AS important for turtles as fish but they still need decent water and he was only changing it when it started turning brown/black to the point you couldnt see through the water
>>
>>2441076
Petco sometimes has these "dollar per gallon" sales. I highly recommend getting something on their next go round. You could get a 20 long or 29 gallon tank and have yourself a proper aquarium for not all that much. You could get your Rasbora's if you get the 29 and get more neons and maybe throw in some cities too. (With the 29)
>>
>>2440287
So I noticed one tiny unidentified snail a day or two ago. Today there were two, and they were large enough to confirm they were bladder snails.

Do I try and take them out as I see them, or let them grow in number a little then add an assassin?
>>
>>2441076
Yeah you could definitely put 2 or 3 more neons in there.
>>
>>2441091
Ahh...unfortunately, no petcos within range, unless I want to head north for 4 hours. Which, I might actually try and do because I have some family up there.
>>2441093
Alright, I'll get two more and just call it good with that until I can upgrade.
>>
>>2441092
I would just leave them alone. Snails are actually pretty good for the tank's ecosystem. Just control their population and they will eat up any leftover food or bits of plant that is dieing. Bladder snails are a good excuse to set up a dwarf puffer tank! That could be your population control. Just take some out and feed them to your puffers.
>>
Can anyone recommend a pleco for me? I have a 75 gallon tank that has (among other things) a big gourami that is kind of an asshole so the plec needs to be tough. I want one that stays under 8 inches and interesting colors are a big plus. (7 inch max size would be perfect!) I really wanted a green or blue phantom pleco, but the only store near me that has them charges 70 bucks each. That is a little too much for me. I wanted to spend max 50 bucks. (Although I am willing to pay more I just don't want to.)
I don't want a bristlenose or rubberlip. That are too small and I think my gourami will kill them. It needs to be bigger, but not huge.
>>
>>2441097
gold nugget pleco?
>>
>>2441108
Are all the gold nuggets the same or is there a difference between the different L numbers? I think there are three that are all called gold nugget.
>>
>>2441097
Thomasi Pleco
>>
File: Plecostomus_1.jpg (2MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Plecostomus_1.jpg
2MB, 2560x1920px
We can all agree Pleco's are the best, right?
>>
>>2441097
you know if your willing to pay more than 50 and they have one for 70 you pretty much have your answer
>>
>>2440333
Nice. I'm pretty sure the more sensitive Caridina species wouldn't tolerate minimal tech tanks/jars as well, but in my experience healthy Neocaridina are like little tanks.

Good luck with your yellows, I've always thought their neon back stripes were cute.
>>
File: parasite.jpg (37KB, 338x600px) Image search: [Google]
parasite.jpg
37KB, 338x600px
Anyone here good with fish parasites? I know it's a potato picture, all the actual cameras in lab were in use so this is aiming a cellphone down a dissecting scope.

I thought my betta had some kind of weird fungal thing for a while - he was flashing, and had some raised scales with what looked like either white edges or white fuzz underneath. Saltwater dips and antifungals didn't do anything, so eventually I got frustrated and tried copper. Within minutes these bastards started bailing off in distress - each of the weird scales was actually one of them latched on under the scale. Anyone have ideas? My best guesses are some kind of skin fluke or fish louse but I don't see legs or anything for a louse, and I think flukes tend to be long and wormy?
>>
>>2441137
Problem is that they either stay tiny like ancistrus, or grow fuckhuge. I prefer Chinese Algae Eaters, they get to a respectable size.
>>
>>2441141
I just think that they are overcharging. I don't really want to support a store that overcharges. I mean the things are tiny little babies. Aren't baby green phantoms supposed to cost like 40 bucks? I would have to keep it in my guppy tank for a long time before I would be confident that it would be safe with my gourami. I would totally pay 70 buck for an adult, but not for a baby.
>>
File: hmm.jpg (111KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
hmm.jpg
111KB, 500x500px
>>2440085
plecos can eat cucumbers? how much should i feed mine? mines around the same size as yours it seems, but it's a bit old (3 years strong). should i continue his diet of algae wafers and occasionally snails or give him some cucumbers?
>>
>>2441039
>a fucking vase
>fish was paralyzed, for MONTHS
how have you not fucking killed her yet? dear god.
>>
>>2441248
If any fish is going to live in a vase, bettas are a solid choice. They're small, and their labyrinth organ means they get enough air even with the small surface area.
>>
>female cherry shrimp are running laps around the tank
what the fuck is going on anons? it seems to be breeding behavior but all i've seen online are the males doing it
>>
>>2441230
Let them succ on a zucchini/cucumber once a week
>>
>>2441080
When you realize musk turtles can live upwards towards +40 years, that's really depressing
>>
File: aq.jpg (1MB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
aq.jpg
1MB, 1500x1000px
I got a 10g tank. Scaped it, added a moss ball and filled it. The tank came with a small internal filter.
I'm planning to stock it with 5-6 neon tetras and a dwarf gourami. As I understand these are good beginner fish and they won't bother each other.
I don't have a heater yet. I'm not in a hurry to get one as I'm waiting for the tank to cycle before stocking. I was wondering though, is a heater that much important, especially for the kind of fish I want? Could I be a cheapskate and just not get one?
Any other advice?
>>
>>2441377
Those are tropical fish who will need* a heater. The heater will also be like, 16 dollars? for a 10g. A generic thermometer with a suction cup is like 2 or 3 bucks, as well.

Did you tear up the moss ball and just stick it all over that driftwood? I dunno what that's gonna do to the moss ball, but I assume the pieces will try and regenerate? I do like your rock arrangement.

I would say "more plants" but you seem to barely have any sand in there, and a sparse covering of gravel, so rooting plants will struggle unless you keep them in pots or pot-like objects. The nice thing about doing planters is that plants can be taken out more easily for cleaning the tank/netting fish/etc, so still an idea, even if it's just a few more to the back/corners and maybe a single potted amazon sword or something in the foreground.

Aside from that, are you using the standard aqueon 10g hood? That would influence plantability.
>>
>>2441414
Actually, it's not visible from the angle of the photo, but there is soil substrate for plants behind the gravel in the front. It covers about half the floor of the tank. I do plan on getting plants eventually, but I don't want to go crazy with it; just a few tall grass-like plants in the corners maybe. And yes, that's a moss ball that's teared up and laid out on the wood. I hear moss regenerates and covers ground easily. I hope it'll turn out good.

As for the hood, the tank came with one, but it doesn't have a light, so I'm going hoodless for now. There is a 5w white light bulb on top of the tank, temporarily.
Any advice for lighting? Lights seem to be pretty expensive; is there any acceptable DIY solution?

Thanks for the advice!
>>
>>2440886
I can confirm that plecos are too clever to be caught in snail traps.
>>
>>2441450
I saw the sand/soil stuff, but it seems awfully shallow. Maybe some valisneria?

Moss balls actually grow as balls, I don't think it will cover ground. There are many kinds of moss.

The NICREW light seems ok and is relatively inexpensive. I am planning on getting one for my 20g if I don't just decide to get a finnex so I get the dimmer and everything built in.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0191EWII2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=A33ZKFW4KOEZQ4&th=1
>>
>>2441459
>Maybe some valisneria?
Yup, that's exactly the kind of plant I'd like to use.

>Moss balls actually grow as balls
Yeah, that works for me. I want it to look like tree/bush, so it works just fine for that.

I'll look into the light.
I understand that 1 watt/gallon is a good rule for conventional lights, right? But what works for LEDs, in case I want to look into that?
>>
Anyone have any experience with dwarf sag. ? I need a lowlight groundcover plant, I can provide dry fertilizers but I don't have a CO2 system.
>>
>>2441470
1w/g is low light, I think?
If you mean buying a non-aquarium LED setup, I have no idea, the best measure is PAR ratings, but finding those for regular hardware store stuff is basically impossible. Some people have experience using various LED incandescent replacers, generally the 5000-6500K bulbs.

You said you just have a single light socket over the tank right now with a 5w bulb in it, I have no idea what kind of bulb is only 5w but I might suggest finding an LED replacement for between 25 and 40 watts with color temp of 5000-6500 and sticking that in there if it's a standard socket.

I honestly came to the conclusion that even a finnex planted+ 24/7 for 75 dollars isn't that bad considering I don't have to waste time figuring out what bulbs do or don't work, and it comes with the timer and dimmer built-in, so the total package is about what I'd be spending anyway, especially if I factor in time as a cost.
>>
Here's what I'm about to buy for my first tank (20g), what do you guys think?

>24" Beamswork light $27
>20 lb bag eco complete $22
>Marineland ML90650 100w heater $23
>Fluval C2 power filter $35

I've already got a siphon, thermometer, flake food, a fish net, tank with glass lid, and a stand. I also plastidipped the back panel.

Am I missing anything? Besides fish and plants obviously
>>
>>2441328
>once a week
I keep a large piece in my tank almost continuously. My plecos love to eat it, as do my angelfish. Both fish also enjoy algae wafers. I tried to feed the plecos both broccoli and zucchini, but they wouldn't have it.
>>
>>2441075
It's not neon tetras. I have neons and they're 1/4 the size of glo fish. They're just hiding because I cleaned the tank for the first time ever, so they were a little scared.
>if you kept fish you'd know this
I've had fish my whole life. I just prefer to clean them a tad more frequently than, you know, fucking never. And generally, having months worth of moldy food all over my tank lid and counter is also something I aim to avoid.
>they're alive so she's doing something right
Yeah, i'm sure the common pleco and two male angelfish will do GREAT in a 10g long term. Especially if it's never cleaned. Walstad and shit, right?
>>
>>2441065
I love it, anon. What are your tank's measures? Also sad about your tard betta senpai
>>
>>2441296
It was paralyzed and couldn't leave the bottom of the bowl, so the labyrinth organ didn't really help. Also, just being able to breathe doesn't really excuse animal abuse.
>>2441248
Believe me, anon, I wish I could. I'm probably going to stop talking to her as soon as I move away, though; she's MUCH worse to her other pets and I just can't stand it.
>>
>>2441230
What I do is use a bit of fishing line to attach a slice of cucumber to a ceramic plant weight. Drop it in in the morning, let them succ, then pull it back out by evening. There'll always be some left, but a huge hole in the middle. Don't leave it overnight though, or it'll sog and the pressure from the nylon string will break it apart and you'll end up with cucumber bits all over.
>>
>>2441637
This slice has been in my tank for like 3 days.
>>
>>2441663
Looks like you left the plastic on? I always remove mine, and thoroughly wash it. Pesticides, anon!
>>
>>2441667
Plastic..? On a cucumber..? That's just the skin from all the succ. It turns white after a while. The last piece I left in there was devoured except for the skin. I should have taken a picture, it was so thin you could watch the pleco eat from the other side and see it's mouth working.
>>
>>2441663
>>2441637
How do you guys actually get your plecos and snails to eat any veg? Mine were never at all interested in the cucumbers I gave them. They just ended up making a huge mess after I left it in too long.
>>
>>2441671
I think each pleco has their own preferences. I put mine in fresh, but some people blanch theirs. I read snails really enjoy blanched lettuce.
>>
File: L236.jpg (16KB, 451x300px) Image search: [Google]
L236.jpg
16KB, 451x300px
>>2441137
>$1000 pleco
>>
File: L236b.jpg (264KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
L236b.jpg
264KB, 2048x1536px
>>2441676
>>
>>2441676
>>2441678
THICC
>>
>>2441671
Mine have always loved it. Though in my case, when I first started it was because they were very hungry. They were very skinny from the fish shop, and as it turns out the tetras I bought ate all the food flakes before they could hit the substrate, so he wasn't getting food even then. So I gave him a slice of cucumber as sort of an emergency option, and he started eating immediately. I feed algae wafers now, but he still loves the occasional slice of cucumber.
>>2441670
It looked a lot like plastic. Over here, cucumber is sold vacuum-wrapped in plastic, so before you use it you have to remove the plastic and wash it. Some people, like my mother in law, don't remove the plastic before slicing the cucumber, so sometimes when you eat her cooking you get a mouthful of plastic from a slice she didn't remove.
>>
File: 384.png (116KB, 433x212px) Image search: [Google]
384.png
116KB, 433x212px
>>2441686
Some people use English cucumber, and those sold here are almost always wrapped in plastic, but I've never bought one.
>>
File: pleco.jpg (28KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
pleco.jpg
28KB, 480x270px
>>2441137
>>
>>2441687
That is exactly the kind of cucumber we eat over here. Google tells me you people call some kind of wax-wrapped midget version of a cucumber cucumber. How crazy!
>>
>>2441689
Ours are thicker, but not quite as long. There is usually immature seeds on the inside. Most of our produces have wax coating on them, apples, cucumbers, etc. Nothing like lettuce or cabbage though, those come in a plastic bag usually.
>>
>>2441691
Cucumber and lettuce are pretty much the only common vegetables here that are plastic-wrapped. Stuff like apples, potatoes, onions, tomatoes, melons, all of it is just sold "au naturale", no plastic, no wax... Just pick the ones you want, place them in a plastic bag, and have the cashier weight them for you. You can eat them directly, the pesticides aren't as bad as DDT used to be so there's no risk for humans, but my fish are a lot smaller and more sensitive...
>>
>>2441696
I've heard stories of people forgetting to wash their vegetables and killing their entire tank. I didn't used to wash them, but I did after hearing that shit. Nothing that can kill every single thing in a healthy tank should be going into your body.
>>
>>2441551
what kind of fish are you planning
>>
>>2441730
Still not 100% sure but I was thinking harlequin rasboras, some sort of barbs, or dwarf gouramis.
>>
>>2441729
Compare your weight to the weight of the combined fish in your tank. A lethal dose for them wouldn't even be noticeable to you.
>>
>>2441763
>>2441729
Biomass is only part of it. But even if you scale the amount of poison up, it is unlikely to cause you any harm. This is because humans have a far more developed purge reflex. If you eat something that's bad for you, in most cases you're going to vomit it back out. It's why successfully overdosing on pills is so difficult, most aren't nearly strong enough to have a lethal dose enter your blood before you empty your stomach, and the same rule applies for pesticides.
>>
My fish have become tumblrinas. They're swimming around flapping their side fins like crazy, it makes them literally shake at a rapid rate.
>>
>>2441768
>>2441763
"Doesn't kill me immediately" doesn't really translate to "ingesting poison daily throughout my life will never have any ill effects"
>>
>>2441780
What did you do to trigger them?
>>
>>2441749
I asked because I've heard reports that eco-complete might be coarse enough to hurt barbels on corys, etc.

You could do a school of rasboras, danios, or tetras plus a dwarf gourami. Depending on how much of an asshole your gourami is you can also have shrimp. A betta is an alternative to the gourami.
>>
How do I completely drain a fish tank? Siphon stopped working when the water level got to 4 inches
>>
File: tumblr_orebpyZpC01w44agko1_400.png (179KB, 400x337px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_orebpyZpC01w44agko1_400.png
179KB, 400x337px
What fish would you guys put in a 125l (33gal) tropical aquarium? I'm trying to think of some interesting combo
>>
>>2441857
restart the siphon and this time make sure the end stays under water.
>>
>>2441861
It's stayed underwater the whole time swear on my life
>>
Hear me out guys: I have two five gallon tanks. I want to put schooling fish in them but I know that's too small but if I put a few in each tank and put the tanks right next to each other they would see each other through the glass and think they're in a school right?
>>
>>2441867
seems reasonable.

do you suppose fish use their eyes when forming schools? How do they school at night?
>>
>>2441858
Boesemani Rainbowfish
Khuli Loaches
Yoyo Loaches
Spotted Blue-eye (Pseudomugil gertrudae)
German Blue Rams
Hatchet Fish

Not all at once, but just some interesting choices that are not stupid expensive/rare but not terribly common either.
>>
>>2441864
The top/water surface of your drain bucket/tank still has to be lower than the bottom of your fish tank bro.
>>
>>2441867
Uh no. Doesn't really work that way.

Why don't you just get a bigger tank and ditch the two five gallon tanks? A 20 gallon long at Petco is $20 right now. Might even get something free in Craigslist.
>>
>>2441845
How are bettas with shrimp? Also are they good with heavily planted tanks?
>>
>>2441914
Bettas like to hide sometimes so yes, plants are good.

Depends on the betta, tank conditions, and shrimp.

All betta will eat shrimp fry though, so you would need a lot of hiding spaces.
>>
>>2441857
>not knowing how to siphon
I don't even have the heart to be rude to you about it, honestly. What's your damage, anon?
>>
>>2441914
A betta would love a heavily planted tank. As for shrimp, sometimes bettas fine with them, but I wouldn't really worry too much about it in a heavily planted tank. All fish will eat shrimp fry, but if you had a big mat of java moss or something similarly protective then i'm sure everyone would do just fine.
Personally, I like bettas more than dwarf gourami. Bettas have much more personality and they're much prettier IMO.
>>
>>2441878
>yoyo loaches
I always forget they exist, they are so cute. Thanks anon.
>>
File: 20170727_215100.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170727_215100.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
Aquarium plants went through unprecedented growth seemingly overnight, at first was excited but then noticed this white stuff all over. What is this shit? Should I be worried?
>>
File: 20170727_215018.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170727_215018.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>2441940
It's kind of hard to see it. The one on this pic is right above the Rasbora.
>>
File: 20170727_215000.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170727_215000.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>2441944
Can kind of see it better here. Send to be growing on things near the surface.
Also, how the FUCK do I get these pictures to stop coming out sideways?
>>
File: ss+(2017-07-27+at+07.41.45).png (2MB, 1041x973px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2017-07-27+at+07.41.45).png
2MB, 1041x973px
This is just hair algae right? Not brown/green hair algae or whatever? I just planted a lot more plants so I'm not sure what it is feeding on right now. I have been dosing nutrients a little bit more than I'm supposed to but that was because I was adding more plants. I can just twirl them and pull them out but they grow back pretty fast. Should I just leave them be or what? I assume they're harmless. They seem to grow off the Christmas moss a lot. Which btw isn't growing very fast. I might be too impatient for planted tanks. I want all my shit to grow NOW. It's been like a month.
>>
File: feesh.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
feesh.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
>>2441619
I think it's the Fluval Spec 3 although my light is all metal and different from the one on Amazon. I was going to get the Marineland 10g one but went to my LFS and saw this one and just decided to get it. Was only $10 above Amazon so I figure'd why not.

Size: 11.8 x 10.8 x 8.7 Inch
according to Amazon.. It's pretty sweet I like it. Especially the overflow. Although I need to figure out a way to make it flow more. Water doesn't really seem to flow through the sponge. There's two shortcuts for the water to get to the pump that kinda defeat the purpose of the overflow.
>>
>>2440305
I tested my water while doing a 25% water change tonight. Zero in the tap, tank still at 40-80 after the water change. Why won't my plants eat this shit reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. Gonna start feeding the guppies less. I think I have been overfeeding anyway.
>>
>>2441963
I'd reccomend trying the pothos out. Tons of people swear by it. Have you been vacuuming your substrate and cleaning your filters? Maybe there's shit built up that's decaying somewhere. Why not do a 100% water change?
>>
>>2441968
I haven't purchased enough buckets to do that yet, and I have some fry in a breeder that I'd have to move if I take out any more than 5 gallons at a time. I finally took off the adapter on my siphon and got better suction today, but I don't get much out of the substrate because I don't want to uproot all my plants I just moved.

I did swish the filter carriage from my aquaclear20 around in some of the old water to get excess junk off, but there wasn't much. The once-white sponge is getting dark though, and I am going to try and clean the filter out better tomorrow.
>>
>>2441963
>I tested my water while doing a 25% water change tonight. Zero in the tap, tank still at 40-80 after the water change. Why won't my plants eat this shit reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
Like I said: you need a shit ton of plants/growth to combat nitrate, even with pothos. You'll have a much better appreciation of the planet's ecosystem once you get a feel for just how much plant life is needed to support such few fish, and you will start to see why hippies and environmentalists complain about things like cows.

For all those youtubers who claim not to need water changes ever because their tank is so heavily planted (they just top off the tank): look how much plant life there is: it's insane. It's like they're plant keepers and they accidentally put a couple fish in.

Keep doing daily water changes until it's <20 ppm. See how long it takes you to get above 40ppm.

>>2441975
>I haven't purchased enough buckets to do that yet,
You really only need one bucket. It just takes longer. Although really you won't be doing a 100% change, just a >50%.

If you keep doing a 50% change you should be able to figure out what your nitrate will be. Your water is 0ppm or close enough to it. 50% change at 40ppm = 20ppm. If you do a 50% and it's not at 20ppm at the end, you judged the color wrong and it was higher.

You are very likely overfeeding.
>>
>>2441955
"Just" hair algae? You won't be saying that for long.

>>2441940
I usually only see that stuff on new wood. Usually goes away on its own but it's on your plants so who the fuck knows now?

If it is a beard algae, you could be in for a fight.
>>
File: white snail.jpg (212KB, 770x619px) Image search: [Google]
white snail.jpg
212KB, 770x619px
I found this super tiny white snail on the zoa frag I just bought. It doesn't look like a sundial snail but i'm not an expert. Am I fucked?
>>
is it possible to have a murderous fish who only strikes in the night? working on a case.
>>
Please look at my fish
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdLLIK0BWOs

75 gallon aquarium
Fluval 206
Fluval 406

Stock
5 weather loaches
7 roseline sharks
7 white cloud minnows
>>
Does anyone have the webms of the guy who put the wave maker in a tank and it blew the fish around a bunch?
>>
>>2442023
>look how much fun theyre having!!
>>
File: sunsun_wavemaker.webm (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
sunsun_wavemaker.webm
3MB, 640x360px
>>2442023
I haven't used it in a while, but here ya go.
>>
>>2442019
Definitely, tank inhabitants?
>>
>>2442023
What's /aq/s verdict on wave makers in FW tanks ?
>>
>>2442064
I guess it depends. They are good if you have a big ass tank and some big ass fish, especially if they are naturally used to river-like water disturbances. But otherwise you are gonna turn your tank into a washing machine.
>>
File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (57KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (1).jpg
57KB, 1280x720px
>>2442064
Pic related has some plecos that look pretty comfy. There are plenty or river fish that would like the wavemaker.webm tank.
>>
>>2442058
>>2442064
850GPH was just a bit much for my tank. I ended up just using a 100GPH fountain pump stuck to the glass blowing the long way through the tank. The fish seem to enjoy it..
>>
>>2441843
I had my girlfriend over, I guess now they know I'm a straight white male.
>>
Anyone have experience with salvinia? It always gets blown down by the HOB filter. Some people recommend making a corral out of some floating airline tubing to keep the plants in place.

This works for a couple days (however unseemly looking) until it is invariably moved around enough by currents/ripples/rotation of the earth and the salvinia is blown down again as it nears the filter.
>>
>get a pair of Siamese Algae Eater
>swim around, eat algae, look awesome
>grow to a sensible size
Why are bala sharks so popular? They're literally pleb tier compared to these motherfuckers. They even have a speed stripe!
>>2442165
I hope you put a sponge on the intake. Wouldn't want to have your makeshift powerhead turn into a blender.
>>
>>2440903
I had a betta that would boop the snail over and over until he fell off the side.
>>
>>2440903
I prefer ancistrus. Hard working algae eater, and they stay relatively small. I've had my betta flare at them, but never anything more. The ancistrus is thick-skinned enough that he would barely notice a betta attack, and if that were to happen the ancistrus is more than capable of fending off the betta without hurting it.
>>
>get red cherry shrimp to breed
>they've grown explosively in size and have doubled/tripled
>females all have nice saddles
>there is no algae left in the tank

my tank was straight up embarrassing and in 3 weeks they have eaten every shred of algae off every surface. their poop appears to be fertilizing my plants better than any product i've ever purchased. huh.

I have 7, and I throw some hikari crab cuisine pellets in there every other day now. How do you actually feed these things or judge how much food to put in? I'm attempting to breed painted reds so I want them really happy.
>>
>>2442163
The fuck is going on in this pic? Looks like a beach shore not an aquarium.
>>
>>2442391
Can I buy one
>>
>>2442391
I've seen people feed them with a dish or with a bit of vegetable and then remove it after X amount of time.

>>2442372
You can get spare suction cups and prevent it from moving around?
>>
>>2442402
you can buy like, ten. that's the point once i actually get the colony going
>>
>>2442058
why did I laugh
>>
File: endlers_orange_130305a2_w0640.jpg (238KB, 640x560px) Image search: [Google]
endlers_orange_130305a2_w0640.jpg
238KB, 640x560px
nobody told me these mini guppies are such jerks

my new scarlets keep trying to pick fights with the dominant ember tetras
>>
>>2442399
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyNLexkuQIA

looks cool as a decoration but i don't see any fish in it. would be hard to watch the fish this way
>>
>>2442062
prime suspect is a guppy.
>>
>>2442461
endlers anon above.

guppies are damn evil
>>
>>2442464
i think the problem might be that i have a breeding pair of endlers and only male guppies. i started with 4 regular male guppies, but there are only two now. i also have 1 fancy guppy, but he is pretty chill and doesnt do much but eat and shit. one of the guppies is orange and has big fins, i think he is the murderer.
>>
>>2442466
what the hell man, endlers are like half the size of regular guppies and you only have a single female with 6 males in there? you know regular guppies can mate with endlers? you need more females stat
>>
>>2442467
I am in a similar boat, forgot to do research on guppy keeping, bought 5 males and 5 females and told the employee I didn't really care which 5 I got of each, one of my males is SIGNIFICANTLY larger than the rest, and is also sort of ugly. Him and the two almost-identical yellow guys chase the females around all the time, and then my other two males just try and avoid them, I wonder if they got picked on more because they are each uniquely colored in the tank, or for some other reason, they aren't any smaller than the yellows. I hope most of the 6 fry I am raising end up being females to help with the chasing, but I am also debating setting up a 50 gallon rubbermaid tote in my basement with a bigass finnex planted+ 24/7 on it for growing plants, and I might throw all the guppies in there and get myself some tetras or danios and a betta or gourami.
>>
>>2442467
the female endler is pretty big, about the size of the fancy male. the male endler is tiny though.i tried to get only male endlers, but i didnt realize til i got home with my fish that they gave me a breeding pair. i asked for two fish and they gave me a pair...
>>
>>2442479
the dominant male guppy is definitely killing out of resource protection, he wants the single female all to himself and he will fight to "have" her, you really need to add more females or risk more deaths. guppies are pretty much thinking about mating all the time so this is like protecting scarce food to him
>>
>>2442486
forgot to add you could also just remove/return the female if you don't have space for a 2:1 female to male ratio.
>>
>>2442486
>>2442489
ive got a few fry and i think at least one is a female, but im just gonna go and get some guppies today or tomorrow. i have 3 male guppies, so i need 6 females to keep the peace?
>>
>>2442490
at the very least yes. guppies do not form pair bonds, they just fuck whoever's around. it's a good idea to give one male at least two females to mitigate the harassment as the males will pretty much constantly be trying to mate with the females

i wouldn't rely on the female fry to be mates to the males, at that stage they are more likely to be eaten before they reach adulthood
>>
>>2442493
when i originally got the male guppies about a month ago, there was 2 fry also in the bag. the biggest one is almost the size of the male endler now. i put all my fry in a 10 gallon. three of them. i figure the biggest (about 3/4 inch) is ready for the community tank, but i dont want the other 2 fry to get lonely...
>>
File: lil niggaz.jpg (628KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
lil niggaz.jpg
628KB, 1440x1080px
>>2442391
pic related, about half the squad. these guys are honestly like 10x the fun of a betta to keep. somehow i kill bettas though i'm perfectly capable of every other animal
>>
>>2442460
Some fish, such as reticulated hillstream loaches, would love that tank. The high water flow means there's plenty of oxygen, and hillstream loaches #1 problem in normal tanks is not getting enough air.
>>
>>2442541
My LFS and Petsmart don't carry shrimp. Besides ghost shrimp. Which might look okay on my black sand but idunno. What's a good nano shrimp that won't get too big? Maybe 1" max?
>>
What is the minimum amount of java moss required to grow? I have some and I am wondering if I cut off just one runner and attach it to something, will it grow?
>>
File: ghost shrimp eating derp fly.webm (2MB, 550x302px) Image search: [Google]
ghost shrimp eating derp fly.webm
2MB, 550x302px
>>2442541
I keep ghost shrimp in my tank, but I don't feed them anything specific for them. A lot of the time, they will swim up to the surface for a flake, or they might just eat the stuff that falls to the bottom of the tank. I have even seen them attach themselves to a cube of freeze dried tubifex worms. Here is a video I took of one of the ghost shrimp eating a mosquito eater. I guess the light attracted the bug and it fell into the water.
>>
>>2442609
Each "string" of moss can reproduce, but that's going to take ages. I had a colony establish inside my filter from the individual leafs falling off the moss when my fry ate at it.
>>
>>2442603
red cherry shrimp. there are some obvious good sites to order them from online, just google

RCS also, importantly, don't try to escape. All amanos, bamboo shrimp, larger ones in my experience absolutely love to commit suicide by leaving the tank on purpose. they can also jump five six inches straight up out of the fucking water to do so
>>
>>2442617
that's fucking awesome. I watched one of my bettas try to prey on a housefly one day, it was the most intense thing ever. He jumped out of the water and almost got it too

That was my jumpiest betta. One day I returned him and could not find him anywhere in the tank and my dog looked guilty.
>>
>>2442643
I had two or maybe three of my half dozen amanos in a tank climb out to die. I never even FOUND one of them. Maybe it has to do with them trying to find a flowing stream to go breed?
>>
I've got a 240l tank that has 4 black ruby barbs and 1 clown pleco as the only inhabitants, aside from more ruby barbs, what sort of stocking level am I looking at?

I want to get a flying fox, do these do better alone or would getting a few of them bring out more character in them?
>>
File: received_10211340317761033.jpg (261KB, 1152x2048px) Image search: [Google]
received_10211340317761033.jpg
261KB, 1152x2048px
What should I decorate my 10g tank with for my little blue crawfish? Right now I have 2 fake plants, and a little black pvc pipe thing he loves to hide in. Really lacking inspiration here. I'm pretty much restricted to fake plants because the nigga will rip anything I plant out
>>
>>2442659
What are the dimensions of your tank?
>>
What are some nano algae eaters I could get that would help eat hair algae? I read platys and something else were?
>>
>>2442651
I tell this story frequently because it's one of the freakiest things to happen in my life but my amano escaped and my gf wouldn't even sleep in the same room until I found it, took 2 days.

It walked 14 feet across the entire room and died in the corner behind a guitar amplifier. It was, physically, as far away as it could be from the tank
>>
>>2442707
these annihilate algae more than anything i have ever seen >>2442541

their waste is very low bioload too
>>
>>2442404
ill buy some too
>>
>>2442759
My goal with purchasing them and setting up the tank was to be able to sell them to fish dudes on /an/ and my local fish store. I'll keep you updated. I don't know how my stock will turn out on the first cycle, so it's very likely that I will have some free ones to send out for the price of shipping
>>
File: 00Z0Z_g1wXFTYIT6f_1200x900.jpg (182KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
00Z0Z_g1wXFTYIT6f_1200x900.jpg
182KB, 1200x900px
How red are red cherry shrimp? Theres a guy near me on craigslist selling some but these look kind of see through compared to the images I see on fish websites.
>>
>>2442788
The ones on the fish sites are "high grade" shrimp, think like purebred dogs. Some guy picks out the reddest shrimp, and only let those breed. Then he sells the results for money.
Your Craigslist guy is just some random selling his excess shrimp. There's been no selective breeding, so after a generation or two you get a noticeable loss of colour quality. Breed them long enough and they'll turn transparent pink, which is the same colour they have in the wild.
>>
>>2442390
I know bristlenose stay pretty small, but is a ten gallon enough for one?
>>
>>2442541
what fish actually get along with cherries anyways?
I know theyre very small and tasty looking
>>
>>2442661
find him some nice big rocks or driftwood
>>
>>2442788
Those are culls more than likely. That's like "cherry red" grade, one of the basic grades.

I think mine are fire red, a couple steps up

>>2442806
I couldn't tell you. I imagine the only safe thing to do would be to put them with endlers, guppies, etc. I have seen bettas ignore every edible animal in the tank and I have seen bettas attack anything that even appeared to move.
>>
>>2442811
Like, it was attacking plants that dared to sway in the current?
>>
Alright, I'm 100% convinced my female betta has brain damage. I just introduced a baby clown pleco into the tank and when she went to check him out it smacked her in the face a good 10-15 times. Literally just floated there getting smacked in the face over and over not even flinching. Then when she tried to swim away she got stuck between the glass and a big leaf... guys.. should I be concerned?
>>
>>2442912
Is she old enough to be going blind?
>>
>>2442918
nah she eats her pellets in the morning so she can't be blind.. I hope.. I really think shes's just about as passive as possible
>>
>>2442920
To be fair, I'm really not sure she would be able to see the glass depending on the light situation, and I don't think the pleco could really have been slapping her that hard.
>>
>>2442925
Yeah.. probably not that hard.. hard enough to move her but that's it. It was just kind of sad to watch considering I was worried she might try to bite or bully him a bit. Definitely not what I expected.
>>
>>2442375
your opinions are opinions because they are opinions you stupid shit dont compare two completely different species for no reason do you have an actual question by chance?
>>
>>2442733
I had one crawl from the bedroom to the bathroom while my wife was taking a bath.
>>
>>2442733
I thought i had a pretty good lid on my tank but I had two amanos weasel their way out of it
Never did find them
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-07-28-22-36-46.png (873KB, 1600x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-07-28-22-36-46.png
873KB, 1600x2560px
Look at these shrimp I found on my local CL. They are a good example as to what the previous anon was talking about regarding selective breeding for the fire red cherry shrimp.
>>
>>2442912
i couldn't help but laugh picturing this because I was thinking about the shark boss slapping you in the face with his tail on E.V.O. for the SNES
>>
>>2443085
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBAL7BPn-N0

found that shit
>>
>>2442994
He wanted to steal your wife, anon, open your eyes
>>
I'm >>2441377
Haven't stocked the tank yet, but aside from the fish I said I wanted to get, what would be a good algae cleaner that goes well with them?

Preferably something that's not shrimp or snail, as I'm most likely going hoodless and I'm paranoid of having any lil' nigger jumping or climbing out of the tank.
>>
>>2443355
>Preferably something that's not shrimp or snail
Try a pleco! They only get to be like 1.5 feet long!
Or maybe try a Chinese Algae Eater! It will only get aggressive and kill the other fish when it gets older!
Try a fancy male guppy maybe. Mine eat some algae.
>>
>>2443358
Was thinking more about something in the Cory variety.
>>
>>2443363
Cory cats don't eat algae, but they do help keep the bottom clean though. You are pretty limited with only 10 gallons. You could do Otos, but I read they need at least 30 gallons.
>>
My convict pair just had their first babies! They've now gone into full overkill parent mode, and the driftwood they dug their cave under is covered in fry. Am I going to need to feed these fry some special food, or will they be able to get by on food flake scraps and fish shit?
>>
>>2443355
I'd have recommended a Siamensis, but no lid and a small tank means that would be silly.
Still, why are you going hoodless? Even if your "hood" is just a pane of glass with holes cut into it for cables and food, it's going to prevent almost all shrimp/snail escape attempts, stop a lot of evaporation, and protect your fish. Gouramis and tetras aren't famous for their jumping prowess, but any fish can jump when startled, and if a gourami/tetra is close to the surface they can definitely jump out.
For small and friendly fish that'll eat algae, guppies, platies and mollies are all solid choices. Be aware that these are livebearers, so unless you fancy having a population explosion, only buy males. The females will all already be pregnant in the shop, and life, uh, finds a way.
>>
>>2443401
Interesting, thanks for the info.

I was gonna go hoodless because the hood that came with the tank is solid black and doesn't have a light. I'm just using a regular light fixture above the tank. I don't have any plants other than a moss ball so I don't think I need anything fancier, for now at least. Also, I don't know if that matters much but the hood only has a small row of hair-thin holes, and I'm worried that that's not enough to let enough air in. I don't know.
But I guess I could fix up a transparent lid.

I'll also look into the livebearers you mentioned, but I guess shrimp or snail will do if I get a lid.
>>
tfw goldfish are alone while i vacation for 5 weeks
>>
>>2443412
>Also, I don't know if that matters much but the hood only has a small row of hair-thin holes, and I'm worried that that's not enough to let enough air in. I don't know.
Your filter is providing the aeration. However your filter is filtering your water is enough oxygen exchange.
>>
>>2443448
If he has an external or HOB filter with an oxygen diffuser, sure, but he has an internal filter, and not one that looks to be fitted with a diffuser. What he'll get is oxygen exchange with the air under the hood, but that air then also needs to be replaced with fresh outside air. Carbon dioxide is heavier than oxygen, so it sounds to me like a hood like that would limit the airflow.
>>2443412
Just a few holes doesn't sound like enough to let air circulate. What I would do is use a small saw to cut out a larger hole, something like 2x5 cm (1x2.5 inches) large. Shrimp and snails aren't precise animals, and they're quite poor at climbing over the kind of ledge the edge would form, so it'd still be perfectly safe.
Alternatively, you could get a small pump and an airstone. As long as the pump is outside the tank, you'll have strong airflow and oxygen exchange.
>>
>>2443435
just put 5 weeks of food in their bowl it'll be fine they'll eat it slowly over time while you're gone
>>
Just got a free 10g setup from some Koreans with two skirt tetras and a guppy. I'm not sure when the last time that tank had a water change but I think I saved those guys life. There are tons of snails in there too
>>
File: 20170730_010908.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20170730_010908.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>2443753
Here's the tank. I rinsed the substrate really well, cleaned all the glass, set the temp, replaced the filter, etc. They seem active and normal. Apparently there were more dayglow tetras but they died, so their environment was pretty bad
>>
>>2443869
That's a platy, not a guppy.
>>
File: 5129698.jpg (12KB, 228x228px) Image search: [Google]
5129698.jpg
12KB, 228x228px
>>2439864
What are the best kind of fishes to grow in a 5 Gallon tank?

And how many of them are ideal?
>>
File: sea monkeys.jpg (538KB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
sea monkeys.jpg
538KB, 2000x2000px
>>2443903
>>
>>2443869
Died after you got them?

Replaced what filter? The carbon? The biomedia? The mechanical filter? The whole thing?

They're also GloFish, not dayglo, Tetras. A rather polarizing subset of the hobby, with the majority of experienced fishkeepers not particularly liking them.
>>
>>2443903
One male betta or a lot of shrimp.
>>
>>2443593
please don't fucking do this anon, they'll overfeed themselves and you'll find a bloated mass of a goldfish carcass when you come back
>>
>>2443978
Is 3 bettas okay?
>>
>>2444017
Fuck no.
>>
>>2444017
Bettas are often called "Siamese Fighting Fish". True to their name, they'll fight each other, and kill each other.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyNEVAN9hLk

In the wild, the bettas have big enough territory that they rarely meet, and when they do one can be chased off. You'd need a room-sized tank to house more than one betta, In any home aquarium, they're going to fight, and the loser won't be able to hide. Only keep multiple bettas if you put a divider into the tank. It has to be opaque, or them being able to see other bettas will be enough to stress them to death.
>>
>>2443593
i didnt, i put a food block in it but its only for 24 days. so they just have to eat the plants and algea
>>
>>2444017
Multiple female betta can be in the same tank together.
>>
>>2439864
Constipated betta, how soon will that tummy swelling go away? 2nd day of fasting and strings of poo are starting to come out. How soon should pea be fed
>>
>>2444053
you should have tried the pea already. he might eat it, but they can go up to a month without food.
>>
I woke my fish up 1 hour earlier today and I caught my angelfish sleeping :3
>>
>>2444086
That happens every morning for me. My tetras take the longest to wake up, but my convicts wake up quicker than I do.
>>
My three month old Betta loves its 10g tank ^-^!
>>
>>2444096
how do you know it's age?
>>
File: dumfish.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
dumfish.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
Well, I don't know if it was the two guppy's I got or what... but like 90% of my hair algae just miraculously disappeared over night. They don't seem interested at all in flakes or pellets so they must be eating something else.

Also besides my betta doing some initial nipping they're all chillin together now. They're all females so that might help with their temperament.
>>
>>2444101
Purchased from a company that includes its birth date. 4/07/17. It's almost four months. He's maybe an inch long.
>>
>>2444111
it was probably the guppies
>>
>>2439881
Regular hosepipes are made of lead, which some people are concerned about leaching into the water and into the tank.
In practice, it seems to be a negligible amount, and most water conditioners can neutralize heavy metals, including lead.

If you want to be extra careful you can get a lead-free hose, but they usually cost 3 or 4 times as much as a regular on
>>
>>2444087
yeah you gotta wake up at 6am sharp in prison
>>
>>2444114
does it have a birth certificate? you should post it.
>>
>>2443975
No the other GloFish™®© skirt tetras died before I received the tank. All three of these guys survived the night so that's cool

As for the filter, I replaced the mechanical filter part, the old one was a piece of slime. I made sure to soak the old filter in the water a bit to transfer some of the bacteria over to the new filter but it was murking up the water bad.
>>2443870
Ya ur right
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-07-30-15-30-55.png (482KB, 480x800px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-07-30-15-30-55.png
482KB, 480x800px
>>2444146
No it was just printed on the label.

>for those of you that remember Jon bone..this is Jonbone II...Jonbone was too passive and encountered an appropriate tank mate that grew aggressive and territorial over time. It ripped all of Jonbones fins off...

>please press F to pay respects
>>
>>2443025
>shrimp recipes
>>
>>2444176
F
>>
File: 15014505702281131622180.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
15014505702281131622180.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
What could I put on either side of my aquarium so the wall that ita on dosent look so bare?

On another note, im so proud i finaluly grew a nice carpet in my tank....but now im too scared to propogate.... what do?
>>
File: 15014506465441370751085.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
15014506465441370751085.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>2444271
Close up of how badly i need to cut this stuff
>>
>>2444233
Thank you, friend.

>>2444271
You could improve it by pressing F for respect.
>>
File: jawbone_watermark.png (48KB, 2773x477px) Image search: [Google]
jawbone_watermark.png
48KB, 2773x477px
>>2444277
F
>>
>>2444291
Thank you. And thank you for tour efforts in finding a picture similar to Jonbones name.

Now for the bare walls fake plants/ trees would always be loving. Perhaps some sort of shelving would look good. Miscellaneous wall art would even do the trick. I still opt for real or fake plants though.
>>
>>2444297
Yeah i was thinking maybe plants. Also, i totally read his name as jawbone when i first read it....
>>
Just picked up 4 female guppies. Hopefully the males are happy with them.
>>
>>2444271
I love your sparse sense of interior design.
>>
Oscars don't eat goldfish in their natural habit and feeding them goldfish is a great way to introduce parasites into a previously healthy fish.

Can't understand why people do this when oscars will readily take safer prepared foods.
>>
>>2444045
Noy really, they are also known to fight eachother and bully one into not eating, especially in that small of a tank
>>
>>2444339
I feed my Oscars fry and ugly fish/shrimp from my community tank and they're fine. In fact, it seems to make them happy, they always become more active afterwards. Goldfish are bad as a staple food because they lack some protein Oscars need, but they're perfectly fine as a "treat".
>>
>>2444271
>What could I put on either side of my aquarium

two more aquariums
>>
>>2444111
poeciliids like hair algae

try to watch them, it looks exactly like they're slurping noodles
>>
How aggressive are bichirs?
>>
what would happen to the fish if someone turned their 10g aquarium into a bong?
>>
>>2444601

it would make them intoxicated and possibly kill any fish that live in it. once the vapors are bubbling in the water the fish take in the new oxygenated water into their bodies through their gills directly. would not recommend for fish you care about.
>>
does anyone know how to cure sbd? i tried changing water, diet, temp, tank mates, fasting. all my betta does is sit at the top sideways and wait for food. should i put it down? it can barely even eat.
>>
>>2444369
+1
>>
>>2444275
what do you have growing in there? I could use a nice carpet
>>
Do I do water changes while my tank is cycling? If yes, how much and how often?
I have no fish in there and I only use food to cycle.
>>
>>2444637
Its monte carlo. It's super easy to grow a carpet with it. I have cheap led flood lights that i got off amazon, minimum co2 and excel.
>>
>>2444744
No real reason to if you're doing fishless. You'll just be removing the ammonia your bacteria needs. If you're reading your nitrate levels you could do a 25% change once you see a spike, just to prep for adding fish. Once your ammonia and nitrite are zero and you're just getting nitrate do a 50% and add fish. If you don't read your levels the general rule of thumb is to wait a month then do a 50-100% water change and add fish.
>>
>>2444788
Awesome, thank you.
>>
File: Fantail-Goldfish.jpg (15KB, 379x294px) Image search: [Google]
Fantail-Goldfish.jpg
15KB, 379x294px
>>2439864
Hey guys! I got some questions on Fantail Goldfishes.

Whats the minimum tank size for a single fantail?

What's the average lifespan of a fantail?
>>
>>2444810
>Whats the minimum tank size for a single fantail?
~30 gallons

>What's the average lifespan of a fantail?
~10 years in a tank
~20 years in a pond
~2 days if you think it will be fine in a no-tech fishbowl
>>
>>2444814
Holy shit. Is it anywhere acceptable if I keep goldfishes according to feng-shui?

Fengshui states that in a tank you must have 8 goldfish and 1 black -colored gold fish(black moor).

The tank I'm looking at is a 5 gallon tank.
>>
>>2444816
Holy fuck no. Do you want an aquarium or a tuna can? 9 fish in 5 gallons? Goldfish nonetheless, which can and will grow into a large fish if they manage to survive.

They will fucking suffocate in there before you say "i suck gook cock because i'm a shallow pretentious faggot that doesn't care one bit about actual living creatures like fish"
I really hope you are only kidding, otherwise I literally hope you die.
>>
>>2444821
But it says if it got 9 fishes, luck will come.
>>
File: 346346.jpg (45KB, 615x409px) Image search: [Google]
346346.jpg
45KB, 615x409px
>>2444825
This is a goldfish.
>>
File: 4563475.jpg (154KB, 1072x804px) Image search: [Google]
4563475.jpg
154KB, 1072x804px
>>2444825
>>2444826
And this is a Black Moor.

Have fun killing 9 of those creatures in a few days.
BTW, they don't take decades to get this big. It can even take only 1-2 years.
>>
>>2444825

You must be a mental gone case. It's essentially a crime killing all of those poor 9 fishes who did nothing to you.

I know fengshui states that if a gold fish dies, it's because it absorbed a negative energy. FUCKING BULLSHIT. This is utter nonsense. Kill that faggot who wrote that shit.

I've seen multiple people do this fucking shit to those poor fishes. Don't be like them and follow that nonsense. In most cases, shopkeepers always use this idea to sell their fish. Their most recommended growth environment for the goldfish is a fucking POND not a fucking 5 gallon tank. You are a monster if you do this.
>>
>>2444816
A 5 gallon is too smal for feng-shui. You are looking for something in excess of 110 gallons.
>>
>>2444816
>Fengshui states that in a tank you must have 8 goldfish and 1 black -colored gold fish(black moor).
>The tank I'm looking at is a 5 gallon tank.
Holy Christ THAT IS A BIG NO!
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-07-31-12-20-03.png (255KB, 480x800px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-07-31-12-20-03.png
255KB, 480x800px
I know I need more plants and decor..but this is Sassys (Jonbone II) aquarium. How does it look? Little Sassy loves it.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-07-31-12-27-06.png (371KB, 480x800px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-07-31-12-27-06.png
371KB, 480x800px
>>2444852
The name Sassy comes from this look..
>>
Should i just switch over to LED lighting, or are T5s still okay?
Fish stores in my area seems to sell them less now.
>>
>>2444868
Old style lighting still has them beat for price, since a good colour spectrum LED bar will cost more than a comparable fluorescent tube. The LEDs on the other hand won't heat the tank nearly as much, and will use a lot less electricity.
>>
>>2444844
>>2444835
http://fengshuimiracle.com/feng-shui/questions-and-answers/552/death-of-fish-bad-omen
>recommends arowana
>"you do not need to feed the fish, change water and worry about the fish"
10/10 fishkeeping advise.
>>
>>2444882
Holy shit. How can I report a site to the police for propagating animal abuse?
>>
>>2444889
It's an American site, do they even have animal abuse laws? My understanding was that "you're allowed to do whatever you want with your property".
>>
File: 20170730_170028(0).jpg (757KB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20170730_170028(0).jpg
757KB, 2560x1536px
>>2444852
>>2444860
:( /an/ family..
>>
>>2444835
You have to be 18 or older to post here
>>
>>2444889
>fish
>animal abuse
lol
>>
>>2444901
>>2444903
Fuck off, Buddha bitch
>>
Is 48 inch tank enough for Channa aurantimaculata or other Channa?
>>
>>2444893
My understanding is that you're an idiot.
>>
>>2444911
Will it survive in a 48" tank? Sure. Will it display any interesting behaviors or be comfortable in that tank? No. You really shouldn't keep it in anything smaller than 72". They're such fun, beautiful fish that you should want to give them the best aquarium possible.

Besides, the dwarf snakeheads are usually prettier as adults. Get a few c. bleheri instead.
>>
File: 1391208361276.png (636KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1391208361276.png
636KB, 1280x720px
>>2444816
>>
Last night, I took a heavily egg-laden female White Cloud and I put her in a 10 gallon with a male who I thought had the best colors. There is a breeding mop in there that I made last night. How long until the fish do the deed?
>>
setting up a ten gallon
I got a single tube hood for it
if I only plan on growing fairly low maintenance plants
do I need to worry about getting a floramax? Is the full spectrum it came with good enough?
>>
>>2444977
No one can really tell you for sure unless you post the actual light. Some sets come with decent tubes others don't. If you're going low tech do lots of reading. You'll need a good substrate usually dirt/potting soil topped with some type of flourite is good enough. I don't know anything about floramax I assume it's just overpriced dirt.
>>
File: Snapchat-1442797300.jpg (350KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-1442797300.jpg
350KB, 720x1280px
If I get a girl to dye her hair the same color/pattern of my fish, do you think he'd like that?
>>
>>2445001
Floramax is the light, aqueon.
My hood is the aqueon deluxe 10g and came with one full spectrum light
>>
>>2445016
If it's a T8 and says it's made for planting it should be plenty. Your plants may just grow slower. You'll want to still do a good substrate.
>>
>>2444970
They are starting to "play" in the mop.
Oh wait, they are...
>>
>>2445026
Yeah... I probably should have thought a little hard about substrate before I dumped a bunch of sand in there
But I do plan on getting some root tabs or something to help it along
>>
>>2445089
What kind of sand? Is it nutrient rich at all? lol
>>
>>2445006
Best case scenario, he wouldn't give a shit.

Worst case scenario, he would actually be aggressive and flare up around her.
>>
>>2445097
It's sand. Have you ever heard of nutrient rich sand?
>>
File: flourite-black-sand.jpg (100KB, 555x555px) Image search: [Google]
flourite-black-sand.jpg
100KB, 555x555px
>>2445202
Have you ever heard of Google? Smart ass.

Of course you're probably the retard that plans on having a planted tank and then goes and dumps regular old sand in there as substrate. Just fucking quit already before you waste any more money. Plastic plants are more up your alley, m8.
>>
>>2445250
Tbh there are people that do that, albeit with root tabs or similar.
>>
File: 8DoWzBD.jpg (67KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
8DoWzBD.jpg
67KB, 640x640px
>People wanting over $100 for a used 55 gallon.
>Only the tank.
>>
Hey aq well i fucked up guys i passed along parasites from my 20L endler feeder tank to my african leaf fish grow out tank thats a 40 breedere i know not optimum but hey its a grow out tank getting bigger tank soon guy is still young but i love the fucker next thing i know betta in 20L has red worms hooked on its ass i treated the tank with the bare minimum shit melafiz and aquarium salt no more worms but now my african leaf fish has the same exact worms and the only thing it could be is the endlers passing over the parasite i just treated the 40 with 0.2 grams of fenbenzole or how ever its spelt im basically asking to see if you guys think my fish may die due to this and if i should treat all the tanks that i suspect may also have the parasite even if no fish shows signs i used the dog dewormer and mixed it with water because i had planeria outbreak in a red cherry shrimp tank a few years ago and it cured them it was easy on them so im hoping its easy on the fish
>>
>>2445384
Uh try using punctuation and maybe I'll try to read that mess
>>
>>2445391
>whines about lack of punctuation
>also doesn't punctuate
>>
Do I need a protein skimmer for a single specimen tank? I'm also kind of lazy so there's that as well
>>
>>2445486
Saltwater? Preferably. Freshwater can do without.
>>
>>2445514
Thanks Anon, also, could I use live sand to seed dry rock? I don't want hitchikers I just want the bacteria
>>
>>2445517
Do what I did and use bio-spira . I was skeptical that a bacteria can survive in bottle but it works. I used it to seed a tank with both dry sand and rock that I even bleached to get rid of organics so I know it was the only bacteria source. I got the nitrite spike the next day and within a week it was cycled.
>>
>>2445619
There was some research done on preserving some bacterial cultures in the dark at room temperature in vials of purified water. Some of them were able to survive for literal decades like this. Unfortunately almost all this research seems to be on pathogenic bacteria, but it makes sense that some methods (I suspect the bottles use the older mineral oil suspension method) work for nitrospira.

I was looking into methods to prep, store, and ship bacteria yesterday in the interest of improving how we cycle tanks..
>>
>>2445639
It seems like it would be really easy to make a kit of some sort where the consumer has seed bacteria and then with optimal growth conditions, they could culture their own bacteria before adding it to the tank. I've never looked at a sample of the bacteria they sell in the store under a microscope. I wonder how much bacteria is actually in one of those bottles.
>>
>>2445651
That's essentially what those bottles of "bacteria booster" or "instant cycle" you can buy are. They contain some seed bacteria, suspended in oil with volcanic ash, and some ammonia. As long as the bottle is stored in the dark and not opened, the bacteria can't metabolise and will basically be in "stasis". When the bottle is opened and added to a tank, the bacteria will adhere to the ash, and get sucked into the filter where hopefully some of it will adhere. The bacteria get access to oxygen, and start metabolising the ammonia. You don't get a perfect cycle, but you do get a fairly significant amount of bacteria into the cycle. Tetra claims their booster will let you add fish after just one day, and when I tested it the water did actually test well.
>>
>>2445619
>>2445639
>>2445651
>>2445661
Interesting read, thank you.

My last question is if I need a ro/di system or if I could just use water purifiers for the tank and for top offs?
>>
>>2445672
afaik brita filters etc are just basic single stage RO units, but they are meant for drinking water and affordability, maybe look up if someone has tested the water they produce?
>>
Any tips to cutting a straight line with a pencil style glass cutter. I'm left handed and I felt like a retard on my practice piece, I just need some tips to build confidence before attempting my cut. I'm trying to cut off 1/4" on one of the sheets and that what im most worried about since it's so thin.
>>
>>2445266
I got a 55 tank stand filter and airpump and a light for $20 last month, just keep looking.
>>
>>2446012
Uhh use a straight edge
>>
File: 20170801_212332.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20170801_212332.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
How do these Java ferns look? One is a windelov and the other is a narrow leaf, I bought them today at PetSmart. My untrained eye says they look kinda fucked up
>>
new: >>2446035
>>
>>2446025
looks good to me homie and i have java fern in 4 tanks
>>
>>2446025

They're always going to look shit when you first plant them. It takes a while of acclimation, submersed leaf growth, and pruning to get more growing points before they start looking good.

Most people tie java fern onto something because they can use multiple rhizomes to get that fuller look faster.
>>
File: IMG_20170714_151232.jpg (3MB, 4864x2736px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170714_151232.jpg
3MB, 4864x2736px
>>2445250
>regular old sand

and? Go fuck yourself, son.
>>
File: tiburonsin.jpg (16KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
tiburonsin.jpg
16KB, 500x500px
Sorry for the off topic, but i need images like this of sharks
Thread posts: 344
Thread images: 59

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.