[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Getting a second dog?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: Dante 1.jpg (82KB, 451x970px) Image search: [Google]
Dante 1.jpg
82KB, 451x970px
I have an amazing golden retriever that I absolutely love, but he's no guard dog. I was thinking of picking him up a buddy but have been having trouble deciding on a breed, I'm pretty indecisive when it comes to big decisions like this. Just wanted some outside opinions.

My preferences:
Sociable to some extent. It will be raised with the most loving dog breed of all time, so I shouldn't have to worry to much about them arguing anyway. I still want a dog I can socialize, however.
Larger the better, something over the 10lb range. My Golden is about 85lbs at 2 years old. Want something bigger than him.
Low/medium energy. I don't want a Belgian Malinois, German Shepherd, or similar breed since it has so much energy to burn on a daily basis. I have nearly a half acre yard for them to run about in, plus I take my golden to the dog park every morning before work, so playing around at the park with other dogs, the golden at home, and some light fetch outside should be enough for it. Another way to put it is that it should have similar energy levels to what a golden retriever might need, not TOO much more. Training isn't an issue, however.
Preferably no exotic, hard to come by breeds. I feel like highly exotic or low volume breeds with very few breeders in the US will lead to inbreeding, and that's out of the question.
-cont
>>
>>2438890
Preferably no show breeds, it should be a working or field breed that isn't genetically fucked up for the sole purpose of being a show dog.
Most importantly, is fine living in a hot climate (southern Nevada) regardless of being an indoor dog. I don't want the dog to needlessly suffer not being in a super cold climate if that's what it was bred for.
Would likely be Schutzhund trained or trained similarly like my old shepherd was. Training isn't a major issue, I never had a problem making time.

I was looking at getting a Rottweiler puppy, since it meets most of these standards, but was sort of wanting something a little larger.
With whatever breed you suggest, if you have a recommended breeder for me to look into as well, feel free to mention them. Thanks in advanced!
>>
>>2438890
>over the 10lb range
100 pound range* my apologies
>>
>>2438890
Labs are good too. They usually have more energy than Goldens, but they mellow out when they hit 5-6. Huskies aren't bad either, but they have more upkeep with their coats. If you want to get a bigger dog than that, get some mix breed, because pure bred dogs of that size will almost always have a litney of health problems and vet bills attached to them.
>>
>>2438922
>Labs are good too.
If you want your guard dog to lick them to death
>>2438922
>Huskies aren't bad either
How the fuck is a husky a low energy dog? They're quite literally the highest energy dog you can find!
>100lbs+
Did you even read what OP posted, or did you just come in here to shitpost?
>>
>>2438922
>Hey guys, I'm looking for a low/medium energy breed that's 100lbs or heavier that does well in an extremely hot climate
>You should get a husky
kys
>>
>>2438926
This
>>
>>2438926
lol
>>
>>2438891
Rhodesian Ridgeback
>>
If it's going to be a mostly indoor dog, I'd just go with the Rottweiler. They're highly intelligent and great if socialized properly. They're also common like you said, which means finding a good breeder won't be as much a challenge.

My other two options (also complete niggerdogs) are the Presa Canario and Cane Corso. Both are similar in size and build to the Rottweiler, but as far as legitimate breeders go, the Rottweiler is going to have the best and widest options for good bloodlines. Casting a wider net means filtering more puppies, which helps you find a great breeder with great dogs.
>>
Not over 100lbs but Australian cattle dogs are some of the most loyal and protective dogs I've met in my life. Had a freak of nature 100 pound one when I was growing up.
>>
>>2439129
No you didn't. If you did, it wasn't an Australian cattle dog.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.