[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Beetle Shell Question

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: dynastes4.jpg (77KB, 500x332px) Image search: [Google]
dynastes4.jpg
77KB, 500x332px
Greetings from /tg/, I've got a question about beetles that you all may have an answer for.

I'm planning on potentially raising some dynastes species with my brother, mostly for fun. But we also got to thinking about what we would do with the shells when they pass.

My idea was to somehow preserve them and utilize them in conversions for warhammer. Just whole pieces, nothing too ambitious, a head here and there, maybe more. But my question was if this is even feasible? I know people usually pin hard shelled beetles without any other preservation, but then they get hung on a wall and not touched. Would they withstand some light handling as time goes on? Could I potentially coat them in a plastic or painting hard coat? Google is leaving me high and dry right now.
>>
>>2437058
the handling shouldn't be a problem I think. I've kept dead stag beetles stored dry for months before I went on to pin them and I was still able to move and bend the legs without them breaking.
I don't think paint would pose much of a problem either, chitin is pretty tough. might help to still read up on the chemical characteristics of it though.
>>
>>2437072
Thanks for the input. That also makes me think of the issue with affixing pieces. I need to read up on if glue/pinning/epoxy would be best. Thanks again.
>>
File: IMG_20170721_154355.jpg (932KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170721_154355.jpg
932KB, 1200x1600px
>>2437058
They do get delicate, I'd recommend put him in a small glass box.
>>
put them into a cup filled with coke atleast once a day for up to 1 hour at a time, they really enjoy this and often bathe in natural occuring puddles of cola all the time.
>>
>>2437058
>I'm planning on potentially raising some dynastes species with my brother, mostly for fun.
Then inform yourself about them properly. Dynastes take a long time to raise, are expensive and require constant maintenance. Definitely not a beginner beetle.

You know they require large amount of rotting wood/flake soil/kinshi, and they take 18+ months to pupate, right? Do you know how to build an artificial pupal chamber? And so on and so forth.

From your question I know you haven't raised any beetles before and I'd recommend starting with something much easier. Also if you're in the US exotic beetles are illegal.

However to come back to your question: The joints between legs and antennae get brittle and will break very easily, but the armored parts (elytra, pronotum, head) are quite sturdy.
>>
>>2437317
They posted indingenous US rhinos, so they probably have thought it out a bit. Also, permits are difficult to obtain but not impossible.

Don't be so presumptuous, anon.
>>
>>2437317
I'm new to beetles but not new to exotic pets. I have been doing my research on care and raising. I understand it can take up to two years from L1 to adult. I still plan on doing more research before I actually commit, but from everything I've read so far, I am confident this is a pet I can handle. Although I do appreciate the concern, I've known far too many people who jump into things without proper knowledge.

I actually work with animals and people, half of my time is spent explaining to people why they can't just throw their lizards/amphibians/fish in a container and call it a day! I understand the amount of ignorance out there about animal care.

Thank you for the response though! Every bit of confirmation helps.

>>2437330
Working on it! But yes, the species I'm looking at are the granti.
>>
>>2437330
afaik only organizations like zoos get those permits, I don't know of a private breeder that has gotten one since the 90s

>>2437380
Alright, I'm kinda sorry for the snarky response but someone asking about raising Dynastes as their first beetle always sounds like they just found out about D. hercules and now want one.

If you want more help from people that know a lot more about beetles than I do ask in the invert general (http://boards.4chan.org/an/thread/2432427) or join the discord and ask in the invert channel there. We have one dude that' raising like 200 or something beetles right now.
>>
>>2437384
I completely understand, no worries.

I'll keep that in mind! I've never visited this board and I didn't see the general, I'll be sure to direct further future questions in that direction.
>>
>>2437287
Probably not good to feed them soda on a regular basis even if they love the sugar.
>>
>>2437380

I'd recommend Dynastes tityus over Dynastes granti. From what I picked up in various beetle forums, granti are rather tricky to rear.
>>
>>2437058
not a beetle but...
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.