[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Herding dogs in apartments

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

File: download.jpg (80KB, 645x380px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
80KB, 645x380px
I really wants a Border Collie but I live in a small apartment. I've read that you can make it work as long as you take it out like 3 hours a day which sounds kinda crazy.

I'm willing to take it out one hour a day to play fetch, plus more during weekends and even agility classes once a week. Also as long as I'm home with nothing to do I'm willing to play with it, train it, etc.

My apartment is really small so there's really no place for the dog to run in here when it's older, but also I would be moving in 1 year and try to get a bigger place.

What are your experiences with this kind of thing?
>>
>>2436883
Don't. Your dog will be bored and frustrated, and will take it out on anything he sees fit to play with; your furniture, clothing, apartment in general, and will be an aggravated dog with a not-so-nice temperament. It's just not very nice for the dog. He'll be unhappy.
>>
>>2436883
>I read I can kind of make it work if you take it out 3 hours a day
>I'm willing to take it out one hour a day
>Will it work?

You answered your own question.
>>
>>2436911
Well, I've also read people saying a dog gets used to let it get used to.
>>
>>2436883
This dog is not for you. If you put a Border Collie in an apartment, you are an animal abuser.

Also sage.
>>
File: 20160912_124316.jpg (916KB, 3567x1802px) Image search: [Google]
20160912_124316.jpg
916KB, 3567x1802px
these 2 live in a 2 bedroom apt with me...u just need to work on signals for going to the bathroom on demand...for the dog to give you and visa versa . and you need to get girl dogs...a boy even after being fixed will let little bits of pee out all over the apt. u smell but u cant see... also most of the sheep dog need a job to do if you leave her home alone for 8 hours a day with no job/thing to do they will make a job...aka rip up carpet drywall chew cables and getinto things......been doing it for 4 years now. it was hard in the beginning ...the more you put into the dog the more you get out
>>
>>2437902
...I got cancer... Reading this post.
>>
>>2437902
what kind of "job" can you leave them to do while you're away?
>>
>play fetch
Border collies and similar dogs need actual mental stimulation as well as physical. Fetch isn't gonna cut it.

Now if you both worked towards a task (agility, frisbee etc) that is doable even with limited living space.

Just give up on this dream (I want an Australian shepherd or Blue/red heeler so bad, but I don't have the time to devote to such a breed) and get a lower energy dog. Shetland Sheepdogs aren't lazy, but they don't require the physical and mental stimulation those other breeds do. You could get away with an hour of non complex exercise per day with them. They still need some mental exercises, as they aren't stupid and can start destructive behavior if understimulated. But not as much as a birder collie, by far.
>>
>>2436883
>Want's best dog breed
>Treat it like shit without even a garden

Why would you do this? you know you're setting your dog up to get run over by a car it will inevitably chase because you refuse to put the time and effort into controlling it's herding instinct by playing Frisbee with it for more than 10 mins, these dog's are a serious commitment and need walking thoroughly at LEAST 2 hours a day if you don't even have a garden for it to run around in and can't be arsed to walk it for more than 2 hours be prepared for your dog to chase anything that moves, including people kids and cars, constant barking, furniture being fucked up, and shitting everywhere.

I can't think of a more terrible owner for one of these beautiful creatures than you.
>>
>>2437902
>a boy even after being fixed will let little bits of pee out all over the apt. u smell but u cant see
your dog has some kind of health problem. maybe a uti or the vet fucked up his neutering. or it's just not housebroken.
>>
>>2436883
Hello op. I have a border collie/lab mix in an apartment. I am a NEET so it's very easy for me, if you have a job it's going to be significantly harder unless you can afford day care or a dog walker to come visit during your shift. Day care doesn't even have to be every day of the week, every other day will go a lot of fun for your dog.

If you do get this dog, please read up on clicker training, on how to manage a high energy dog, and on how to provide mental stimulation. Get lots of puzzle toys, kong toys (fill with wet food and freeze, keeps dog busy), and even make toys (snuffle mat).

You can make walks more tiring by putting a backpack on the dog. A good exercise you can do is a flirt pole. I can do it in my apartment living room and it tires my dog out pretty fast.
>>
>>2437986
Yes but your dog is a mix and not a pure border collie labs are known chill dogs and it sounds like it has inherited some of that chill from its lab half.
>>
>>2436883
You completely glanced over mental stimulation. It's really important for every dog, by particularly for a super intelligent BC.

Atfter basic obedience, get a book on dog tricks and just teach him every single one. Go from front to back. And after that, just make stuff up.
>>
Don't do it OP, It's a selfish thing to do. The dog would frustrated and bored out of it's mind, and your house will be rekt.
>>2437902
Those aren't even border collies you idiot
>>
File: 1482445291850.jpg (129KB, 713x558px) Image search: [Google]
1482445291850.jpg
129KB, 713x558px
>>2437902
>u smell but u cant see
>>
>>2437902
the one on the left is fat
>>
>>2438033
takes 1 2 no 1
>>
Ok so I appreciate everyone's insight on this. I'll probably wait until I move to a bigger place. Or maybe see if there are dog day care places during my shift which will be hard because it's during the afternoon.
By the way, I did consider mental stimulation, it's one the things I liked the most about border collies, the fact that they can learn so many awesome tricks. And they are cute af too.
>>
>>2436883
>I really wants a Border Collie but I live in a small apartment.

No.

Literally not going to read the rest of the post. There's nothing you can say that can make this sentence acceptable, other than "I'm not getting one because I'm a reasonable and responsible individual". So no.
>>
>>2438033
>>2437902

Not fat, morbidly obese

>a boy even after being fixed will let little bits of pee out all over the apt.
You cut off his balls and thought that would make up for never training him...lol
>>
>>2438173
I've known several people with these dogs. The owners of the well-adjusted, happy ones have one of two things in common. They live in rural or outer suburban areas where there are huge expanses of field or forest where the dogs can just run free several times a day without constraint or they have extremely attentive owners who spend at least 3 hours a day walking them as well as another few hours a day stimulating them with agility and training activities. Like every fucking day. These people usually work from home and just like being outside with their dogs most of the day.

The sad, neurotic, destructive ones all had owners who lived in the city or inner burbs with normie 9-5 commuter jobs and would walk them a few times a day and played with or trained them for about an additional hour. The level of attention that would make almost all other breeds happy as shit.

I strongly recommend you look for a BC mix, not a full BC working dog if you're not living in the boonies or are a very active, outdoorsy nature freak. They are either the best dog in the world, or a total fucking nightmare.
>>
>>2438002
labs are not chill dogs anon. not as high energy as border collies, but certainly not couch potatoes either
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KExXAWfndGo
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.