[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Abandoned kitten

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 11

File: IMG_20170720_214345_591.jpg (2MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170720_214345_591.jpg
2MB, 2592x1944px
This kitten showed up around my back porch in pretty bad shape, not sure the gender. It's got fleas, a cut on it's nose and mouth(?) and is obviously starved. I can feel nothing but bones when I pet/hold him. I don't know what to do with it. I've given it some milk/tuna in hopes it'll eat/drink something but it's pretty reluctant. It's in pretty bad shape and if it doesn't eat/drink something i'm pretty sure they'll die soon.

What do I do? Should I take him to the vet; really rather not have to pay to fix some asshole who didn't get their outdoor cat neutered's problem plus I alrdy took in one alley cat and paid to have his shots/meds. Or should I take it to the pound? Maybe a shelter but not sure where there's one near me. It's not in good shape and I don't see this thing living to the end of the week without serious help.
>>
File: IMG_20170720_214608_548.jpg (2MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170720_214608_548.jpg
2MB, 2592x1944px
>>2436369
anyone got an idea on the breed? I'm a dog person and have no idea what it is. It's got neat ears though
>>
File: IMG_20170720_214601_896.jpg (2MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170720_214601_896.jpg
2MB, 2592x1944px
>>2436371
Looks like theres scabs near its eyes.
>>
>>2436369
Take it to a vet.
>>
>>2436377
I ain't sheckelin out that kinda dosh desu
>>
File: IMG_20170720_214725_132.jpg (2MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170720_214725_132.jpg
2MB, 2592x1944px
lickin up a bit of tuna but not rly eating any
>>
Probably just a domestic long hair. Will probably be gorgeous when grown and healthy.

As for what to do, once cats wean they become lactose intolerant so no cows milk unless you want to clean liquid shit up from everywhere. Also, if tuna is all you have that's fine but chicken or other poultry, beef, or pork, etc. would be better due to mercury and such.

You can probably bring it to a vet saying you found a stray in bad shape but can't keep it or do the same with a pound or rescue. If you have access to be on here you should have access to Google to find the appropriate places near you
>>
The kitten isn't black or a brown tabby. It's fucking adorable, OP. Take it to the vet and then put it up for adoption to cover the fees. This kind of kitten is the kind people would claw for so you're good.
>>
>>2436369
Don't give kittens milk, they're lactose intolerent. Tuna is also not good for it. Get some wet cat food, or dry and mash it up with water. Try putting some on your finger and putting it on his mouth, so he'll lick his chops to get it off and realize it's tasty. Keep him warm. If you decide to give him a bath, do it in lukewarm water and then dry him off until he's REALLY dry, make sure he's dry down to his skin, so he doesn't freeze. You can pick up some over the counter flea medication for cheapish. If he's not pooping in the next couple of days, take a paper towel and (this is gonna sound pretty gross) rub his asshole a little. It's what mother cats do to stimulate the glands so they shit until they get old enough. Try to keep the cut on his nose as clean as you can. Unfortunately the kitten is way too young to be taken from his mother so this is a pretty sad story.

Are you in the US? Where? If you're nearby I'll take it off you but that's of course a longshot. That kitten looks like it's going to be really pretty when it's older and not dirty and frail.
>>
>>2436384
Alternatively, call some vets or shelters and just explain you found this adorable white, long haired kitten. Could lie and say you can't afford to keep it, but offer a donation or some shit. They would have no problem finding this fluffball a home.
>>
File: IMG_20170720_214554_858.jpg (2MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170720_214554_858.jpg
2MB, 2592x1944px
>>2436385
I'm in CA, i was thinking i'd take it to a nearby shelter but it looks like have a strict 5 day holding process and according to google reviews they just kill the animals after that. I might take it to the vet, how much would it cost for them to check him out. I'm low on cash and can't pay more than $100. He looks really young, doubt if he's older than 4 weeks.
>>
>>2436391
Ah that's a shame. It might be more than $100 yeah, but maybe if you call them and express that you can't spend more than that they'll tell you otherwise.
>>
File: IMG_20170720_223428_017.jpg (2MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170720_223428_017.jpg
2MB, 2592x1944px
>>2436381
ya I found one shelter but looks like it's a 5 day kill shelter. I'll look around for others. I don't mind driving an hour away.
>>2436392
Like I said I alrdy took in an alley kitten but he wasn't messed up this bad and was past the yeaning period(2-3 months about) so i'm not sure what to do in this case.
>>
File: IMG_20170720_224321_645.jpg (818KB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170720_224321_645.jpg
818KB, 2592x1944px
If he wasn't this young I'd just feed him and buy some flea medicine then let him get on his way but damn this little guy is a practically a newborn.
>>
>>2436385
Good advice but be careful with OTC flea meds. Cats, particularly kittens, are very sensitive to flea medication and if the kitten is already in bad shape, adding flea poison to the mix can be too much. If you can find something specifically formulated for kittens, then maybe go for it. My guess from the pics is that the kitten is seven weeks or younger, you need to make sure any flea medication is appropriate for that age.

If you live in the US, an alternative flea treatment (which can at least hold you over until you can get something proper) is Dawn original formula dish detergent. It kills fleas really damn well and is safe for kittens as long as they don't swallow it.

If you do this, give the kitten a bath. Lather up the detergent and work it down to the skin. Start by blocking off the insides of the ears so fleas don't run down there. Then soap up the head back down to the neck, and form a collar of soap all the way around the neck. Then start soaping the body in a line, either from neck to tail or from tail to neck, in a smooth line all the way down. Make sure you get all crevices like the armpits, under the tail, and between the toes. Let it sit there for 5-10 minutes, then rinse. Dry the kitten off and use a fine-toothed flea comb. Comb until dry, all over the body to remove fleas.

Then wash all cloth surfaces and bedding the kitten has touched, and vacuum the floor thoroughly. Throw away the vacuum bag.

Also, young kittens often have mild eye infections. If the eyes start to get gunky, use a warm wet paper towel to wipe it away. Keep them clean and the infection should resolve on its own.
>>
File: cat kitten age.jpg (216KB, 1000x647px) Image search: [Google]
cat kitten age.jpg
216KB, 1000x647px
>>2436402
>>
File: IMG_20170720_223452_901.jpg (1MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170720_223452_901.jpg
1MB, 2592x1944px
>>2436402
I got some dawn on hand but he's so boney. Is that normal? Like if I pet him I just feel bones. Can I bathe him like this? From what I can tell he's 3-5 weeks old. Also what should I wash his cuts with? I got alcohol, peroxide, and soap.
>>
>>2436406
He's probably underweight due to not having had enough food. Get him some kitten formula and see if he takes it. He might not be weaned enough for wet food.

You can bathe him like that, the dish soap isn't a poison. Make sure it's original formula, if it's concentrated it's too strong and harsh on the skin.

Unscented soap and water should be fine on the cuts. If they're scabbed over and not inflamed red, though, then you can leave them alone. Should probably wipe off his nose, though.
>>
File: IMG_20170720_223507_916.jpg (1MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170720_223507_916.jpg
1MB, 2592x1944px
>>2436408
I'll do that then, I'm scared he might have worms though. I'm in a pretty rural area and it's quite obvious after searching around every shelter in 60 miles is a high kill shelter, one of them was even on peta's website as a hoarder case. If I take him to one he's going to get killed. What I think I'll do is get rid of the fleas, clean the cuts, and give him a day or 2 to see if he's eating. If he doesn't eat i'll take him to the vet, if he does eat and doesn't gain weight I'll get a dewormer, kittens this young can get wormer medicine, right?
>>
>>2436413

Right, as much as I applaud you for trying your best for this kitten, your basic problem is not only is he likely to have fleas- but also internal parasites, and he also needs vaccinations.

If you want to keep this kitten as a pet- then your best bet is to take him to the vet, don't bother with an OTC flea med - they typically don't work (all washing the kitten in dawn soap will do is get rid of any live fleas - not the eggs, then lead to your home being infested), and you need to get a good dewormer. The kitten could also benefit massively from being vaccinated.

It is going to cost you more than one hundred dollars all in to get him sorted, plus get some food in- then you need to factor in costs for the rest of his life.

He's a kitten, he's not going to get killed at a shelter. Kittens/puppies are two of the only things that practically walk in- and then out of the other door at shelters. If you aren't willing to put the money in, give him the best chance you can- take him to a shelter.
>>
>>2436413
Just an FYI, don't trust PETA. They do all sorts of ridiculous, ineffective, and oftentimes cruel stuff in the name of animal rights. And their shelters have one of, if not the, highest kill rates in the country.
>>
You should he give him a bath. Make sure that it's near a cat's body temperature because in that shape you could potentially burn them. I'd recommend just handwriting or using a cup to run water over him instead of dunking him. Might tolerate it better. We canned food would also be good and cheap. Sucks to hear about the shelters though. Might want to do your best for now and once he gets a little healthier take him to a vet after you call and ask what they can do. If you can fatten him up, dewormers shouldn't be too expensive on their own.
>>
File: IMG_20170721_000945_708.jpg (1MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170721_000945_708.jpg
1MB, 2592x1944px
>>2436425
Will a shelter immediately take him to a vet and pay for a checkup with vaccinations and dewormer etc. I have my doubts about shelters here spending that type of money on a ~4 week old kitten. Where can I find the information that they'll do this instead of euthanize them? For instance the nearest shelter had a 5 day hold/kill right on their website
>>
>>2436378
Then leave it to die. Simple as that mate. In either case you need to take it to the vet to see if there is a microchip in it, or take it to the vet in order to get it euthanized, although I can't see why you would want to do that for such a kawaii cat.

Of course a third option would be to take it to the vet and ask if there is an animal shelter nearby that could help the cat get back on it's feet.

But in any case you NEED to go to the vet.
>>
Post the baby kot on Facebook or something and beg for cash or someone financially secure enough to foster / keep it.
>>
>>2436441
You can call the shelter and ask what their policy is. They might have a 5 day hold policy, but no cats is going to come in and get adopted in 5 days. That's a big health no-no. Usually, most vets have to at least spay or neuter them before they're ready for adoption.
>>
>>2436441

Yes, because they get reduced fees on the vets for vaccinations/dewormer/flea etc.

Look, he's either going to die with you because you refuse to spend any money on it- painfully, likely from a mixture of fleas/internal parasites/contracting a disease/having a pre-existing disease or go to a shelter and have a chance.

If you want to keep the cat- then please take it to a vet, if not- then take it to a shelter.
>>
>>2436465
did you read my posts? I said I was gunna get dewormer and flea medicine and take him to the vet if he didn't gain weight. That or a kill shelter are the only options in my area
>>
>>2436476

> vet if he didn't gain weight

You're going to buy him an over the counter flea medication which won't work, and could potentially poison him (lets not even talk about flea infestations in your house, then having to treat two cats properly)- you're then going to buy a dewormer over the counter, which again potentially won't work. You are also not going to give him his shots, so he could potentially catch anything your other cat brings in/you bring in on your shoes.

This is without even mentioning your other cat which you've mentioned briefly, who could catch anything from this kitten right now. The kitten could also have a plethora of other things wrong with it which you wouldn't have a clue without taking it to a vet.

Then, if he doesn't gain weight (i.e the kitten gets worse) you're going to take it to a vet who you pray can give it a miracle cure.

The very least you can do is take it to the vet, let them give it a basic check over- get a licensed flea + worming product, and get it vaccinated. You'll even get some free professional advice on how to care for it/how to clean up the wounds properly/how to feed it whilst you're there. However, yes- it will likely cost you over $100.

Do you actually want to keep this cat OP?
>>
>>2436476

Secondly, just to add to my post- no kill shelter is going to kill a kitten. Kittens and puppies fly out of shelters doors - heck, there's likely a waiting list for these things. Add that to the fact she's quite a pretty little thing- and she will be absolutely fine at a shelter.

It's adult cats that have a hard time getting rehomed. As I also said before- shelters get reduced veterinary costs, so can easily sort this kitten out, turn her around and have her out of the door within a few weeks at most.
>>
Just ask on Facebook or whatever social media you're on if anyone wants a cute free kitten. Many people would jump on that and take it off your hands
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.