[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dog General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 317
Thread images: 68

File: DOG_17_RK0052_17_P.jpg (28KB, 374x189px) Image search: [Google]
DOG_17_RK0052_17_P.jpg
28KB, 374x189px
All things dog ITT. Ask questions, blog, rant, and/or share your dog. I'll be sure to add more information or links to OP when we can agree on something to put up.

>What should I feed my dog?
>What breed of dog should I get?
>How do I train my dog?
>Rate my dog!
>Should I bring my dog to a vet?
>What breed is my dog?
>What toys should I get my dog?
>My dog is doing x, what do I do?
>Where do I get a dog?
>How do I take care of a puppy?
>How do I house train a dog?
>Can my dog eat this?
>Let me blog post!
And much more!

Discord link goes to #mammal
https://discord.gg/JC6mQh4
>>
chewy stopped carrying fromm and orijen. is there another online service that does auto shipping like chewy that carries these brands?
>>
>>2433042
HELP ME PLEASE

i'm dogsitting, and this dog is apparently really aggessive at the sight of my hand

we feed him alpo, he's a boxer, he's never been trained and has accidentally broken a woman's ribs because she has osteoperosis, and he loves giving hugs. i'm considering bringing him to the vet, he has lots of toys and is housetrained. i have him locked outside right now but i'm absolutely terrified of him and want to get to my pot, which is 10 steps distance from the front door.

he has a doggy brother, which is totally chill. for backstory, i have known this dog for the last year, he's never shown aggression to females at all, and i stayed over here for a night with no problems. when i woke up this morning, he was growling at nothing. looking right above me and snarling. once he stoppped, i went to pet him and he latched onto my hand and started biting and snarling. i screamed ( because i'm scared of dogs) and he let go. now i have him outside. what should i do? i've been completely nice to him, avoiding looking him in the eyes and letting him be the dominant party, was this a mistake?
>>
>>2433066
dogs sense your fear. should have brought your pot inside. you're fucked now, kiddo. maybe dont dogsit if you're afraid of dogs
>>
>>2433066
Give him food and try not to be terrified. Associate yourself with good things. But don't hold onto the food or toys, you don't want to appear like you're trying to fight over it. Then when the dog is comfortable try to grab the pot and go put it somewhere safe.

It's not your job to train the dog, and really you can't if the owners don't follow. If you're too scared you should tell the owners so they can get someone else to come in
>>
>>2433066
>im scared of dogs
>better dogsit for someone
gr8 b8 m8 :-DDDD
>>
>>2433042
So, I finally caved into the meme and bought my dogs some bully sticks.
My dog is a light chewer and bones/antlers tend to last months, the six inch chunk of bull penis lasted less than 20 minutes. I'm glad he enjoyed the treat and all, but I thought these were supposed to be some long lasting godsend for active chewers?
>>
>>2433101
>long lasting godsend for active chewers
not sure who or what gave you that idea

bully sticks are made of bull penis. it's basically a hard slim jim for dogs. it'll last a while for little dogs with small jaws, but not for power chewers.
>>
File: Snapchat-1052237357.jpg (446KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-1052237357.jpg
446KB, 1080x1920px
I just got a 2 month old maltipoo. His baby teeth are still not in yet, is there anything I should do or give him to chew on to make it easier / faster for his teeth to come in.
Pic related, its him
>>
>>2433104
>His baby teeth are still not in yet
>after 8 weeks

either the BYB you got it from lied to you about his age, or you just paid a kajillion dollars for a developmentally-stunted mutt who will likely die young

jesus. this is why we flip a shit on anyone who wants to buy a dog from a BYB/craigslist
>>
Are there any pitbull owners ITT? I want to beat the shit out of you.
>>
>>2433066
>dogsitting
>afraid of dogs
woah
>>
>>2433115
You've got the easy part done.
The talking.
>>
>>2433104
>buying a meme cross
>>
What are the best resources for learning how to train a dog.

I've had dogs when I was younger, but I've never actually trained a dog and I want to be prepared when I get my own doggo.

Thanks
>>
File: canaan.jpg (409KB, 800x649px) Image search: [Google]
canaan.jpg
409KB, 800x649px
Does anyone here have any experience with Canaans?

My brother brought a Canaan home last December and he's about 8 months old now. The issue is that he still acts like a puppy in his fear stage and is intolerant of all strangers and friends that come over frequently no matter how much we try to socialize him. His litter mates aren't as half as aggressive as he is.

Does he act this way because Canaans supposedly stop maturing at 3 years old and he's still at his fear stage mentally? or is it just genetics and he'll never be trusting of strangers.

(pic related but no him)
>>
>>2433160
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMssKIjsDxXmMGypWsr8u-yGOUSoPoozb

This is a playlist that covers most if not all basics. Remember that these are just basics for beginners nothing too deep or complex and to try and tolerate his extensive shilling.
>>
What kind of breeds are recommended for relatively inexperienced owners who want a medium/medium-large sized dog like a collie or husky? Ik both need to be taken out for at least 1 long walk/run a day and be played with/trained somewhat in the backyard everyday, but seems english shepherd might be less prone to being destructive compared to border collie and would be easy enough to train given their history. Also not really overbred so not many common health problems. Thoughts? This would be down the line a bit. And I have experience with 1 family dog, but he was a terrier mix (with I think poodle and chihuahua--he's bigger than a cat stature wise and maybe 15 pounds)
>>
>>2433160
If you've never trained dogs, I recommend finding a trainer and getting a few personal lessons. As someone who got his first dog last year, it was really helpful for me to be taught the basics in person.

I know it's a shit answer, sorry.
>>
>>2433054
I'm going to try ordering from PetFlow. After checking most of Orijen's listed websites that offer their food, it was the option that seemed most reasonably priced and appears very similar to Chewy's shipping. I've never used them before though so I can't vouch for their customer service yet.

>>2433101
My 10lb dog can destroy a bully stick in an hour if I don't take it away so this isn't really surprising. They aren't very hard to eat; just a good alternative to rawhide.

>>2433181
I wouldn't recommend any herding/shepherd breed to an inexperienced dog owner but that's just me. You listed a collie (herding breed) and a husky (working breed) so it doesn't seem like you're wanting your dog for any specific role. If you just want a cute medium-sized fluffy dog maybe consider a samoyed or a keeshond instead. Again, personal experience only, but I've found working with dogs of both breeds was pleasant 9 times out of 10. Of course, every dog isn't always going to fit the breed standard and there will be hidden challenges so just make sure you prepare a lot before you even get the dog and don't get too hung up on breed.
>>
>>2433104
No, chances are it's not 2 months yet and it's just starting to wean. Very common in BYBs, as soon as the bitch is done feeding them they sell the dogs so they can cut corners and not have to pay to feed the dog.

Alternatively it could just be developmentally stunted, another trait of poor breeding.

Don't force chewing and bring him to the vet to see if they need to do extractions
>>
>>2433067
>>2433067
i didn't really feel fear until he bit me. i trust these dogs and acted as naturally as i would in any other situation
>>
>>2433072
i'm just the only person of age that can dog sit, i'm not going around looking for dog sitting jobs, faggot, i'm doing a favor for my family. i may be scared of dogs but i know to curb my fear and act dominant. this is a dog that has attacked other people, it's not my fucking fault, i'm asking how to handle the situation you cocksniffer
>>
>>2433068
luckily the pot is far away from the dogs, in the garage. but thank you for the advice. i've been going from the house to the garage every once in a while and he hasn't attacked, it seems like its my hands that sets him off.
>>
>>2433101
>some long lasting godsend for active chewers?
Nope. They're just a tasty treat. If you want something like that, then try nylabones. That's the closest you'll get, and some dogs even destroy those in a few days.

That being said, I've noticed the higher quality bully sticks take my dogs longer to get through.
>>
File: Broken+Nylabone+1[1].jpg (27KB, 244x320px) Image search: [Google]
Broken+Nylabone+1[1].jpg
27KB, 244x320px
>>2433258
>nylabones
>for a power chewer

don't
>>
My dog doesn't like to chew anything I give him. Rawhide, smoked bones, nylabones, etc. But when I leave he chews up my stuff. How do I transition him onto only (or mostly) chewing stuff I give him?
>>
>>2433362
>Rawhide
don't give him these
>smoked bones
don't give him these
>nylabones
don't give him these

rawhides will cause impactions because they aren't digestible. smoked/cooked bones can splinter and tear the trachea and other organs, or they can break off in large pieces and cause an impaction. nylabones will do the same, see >>2433360

if he's chewing on things like shoes, it's because they have a good taste from your sweaty feet. give him something that tastes good. it won't last as long, but it'll be more appealing to chew on than a shoe.

if he's destroying other things that don't smell of you, he's bored. get him some more interactive toys like a kong wobbler or some puzzle toys. spray the rest of your shit with bitter apple spray and hope he's not one of the few dogs that, for some genetic reason, enjoy the taste.

this is all assuming he's an adult. if he's just a puppy, you need to pay more attention. switch out whatever he's chewing on quickly with a tasty chew instead. give him frozen washcloths/frozen ropes to soothe his aching gums. if you're not home while he's doing this, why isn't he crated? he could seriously injure himself by chewing on a power plug or something soft enough to break into swallowable chunks.
>>
>>2433367
>if you're not home while he's doing this, why isn't he crated?
I just got him from the pound as an adult and haven't fully crate trained him yet.
>>
Has anyone ever trained a SAR dog before? I'm trying to do it by myself from books/articles/FEMA guidelines/literally anything and I feel like it just won't be good enough.

She does extremely well with searching and everything, but she's only fourteen months, so she's still a little distracted by certain things.

Anyone recommend any resources? I may have missed some.

Also, is a book on dog first-aid good or should I go talk to a vet and see if I can learn anything from them? My family knows the vet who has taken care of all our dogs really well but I don't want to waste his time with stuff.
>>
>>2433374
>haven't fully crate trained him yet.
so...you're just letting him walk freely around the house? you know how you crate train? put the dog in the crate.
>>
Look at my good girl. Look at her!
>>
Reposting from the last general since it was dying.

>puppy holds in her poop in the crate but still pees in it
Wat do. She doesn't stay in the crate longer than about 3 hours at a time. She is a little over 3 months, so she still is young, and even when I take her out to pee she squats twice.
>>
>>2433481
Rule of thumb is a dog can hold it's bladder for roughly 1 hour for every month in age, usually stopping around 8 to 10 hours. So a 3 month old having accidents In a 3 hour frame isn't uncommon. You'll just need to take her out more.
>>
File: 20170716_162058.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170716_162058.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
Rate my pupper. He's at 11 weeks now
>>
File: My doggo's injured nose.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
My doggo's injured nose.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
I've been very busy with life lately, and a few days ago I was gone from the tiny apartment I recently moved into (which, thank god, allowed dogs) all day, I didn't get back until very late at night. When I did I found she'd been scratching at the top of her nose until it had been rubbed raw. It's healed a little at the time I took this picture, but I'm worried she's going to do this again next time I have to be out all day. I don't know for sure what's causing it (my extended absence, the cramped space, or both, or neither, etc.) and I'm not sure what I can do to prevent it. I don't want her nose to be all screwed up like this, it feels sad.
>>
I'm happy for my boy right now. Benadryl wasn't enough for his allergies, but he's been responding well to the meds the vet prescribed.

He's been more energetic and hasn't been waking up at night to scratch
>>
>>2433579
And I realize the benadryl can cause drowsiness. He was becoming lethargic before it was recommended.
>>
>>2433481
You are a fucking idiot. Don't leave your 3 month old alone for longer than 2 hours honestly. That's just cruel.
>>
>>2433579
Becareful Benadryl lowers seizure thresholds in dogs.

My grandma thought she was helping her old dog sleep well at night by giving him a quarter dose of Benadryl and he had a seizure next day. Linked back to Benadryl.
>>
>>2433565
I'd put money on it being anxiety from your absence. Before you have to leave, really tire your dog out. I don't mean make her go nuts for 10 minutes where she has to catch his breath for a bit, I'm talking something that will make her so exhausted she'll only want to sleep. On top of that add a frozen Kong with food or peanut butter, or some other food puzzle. When she's not sleeping hopefully she'll be trying to eat.
>>
>>2433626
Thanks. The vet told us we didn't need to give him anymore.

Does anyone here take their senior doggos out for walks in a wagon or stroller? My boy is six and full of energy, but the cat that came before him lived to be 14. I remember his energy dwindling considerably.
>>
>>2433897
I don't but that sounds very qt
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2592x1936px
Here is my 6 month lad we adopted three weeks ago who was brought to the shelter after being hit by a car, he still has a broken pelvis but is an energy boi. He occasionally nips me attempts to hump me, how can I discourage him from doing both without being an ass to him?
>>
File: IMG_0261.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0261.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Got this saluki lurcher from a rescue shelter 2 weeks ago. He's good as gold with people, but always barks at other dogs. He's only playing - he wants the other dogs to chase him, larger dogs get it - but there's so many little rat dogs about and when he tries his "I bark you chase" routine on the little fuckers they yelp and it clearly bothers the owners. Is there anyway to encourage him to play nicely?
>>
Is their any credence to support that thing about playing tug of war with a pup making it more aggressive?
>>
>>2434063
As far as I know, there is. I'm not sure exactly how it makes them more aggressive, perhaps it's just to strengthen the dogs bite, but it seems to be common practice among thugs with pit bulls.
>>
Thumbs up
>>
>>2433042

Dis be my doggo, Lucinda Marie
>>
>>2434063
Nope.
>>
File: cute.png (28KB, 500x223px) Image search: [Google]
cute.png
28KB, 500x223px
>>2434093
>all-terrain doggo boots
>>
>bring 13 week old puppy to relative's house to see how he plays with their new puppy(same age, he's smaller then her though)
>he's running around in circles hyper as fuck while their puppy is sitting on a blanket completely chill
>when he runs out of the room she gets up and follows with her tail wagging, then when he runs back in she goes back to her bed
>she snaps at him twice because he was getting in her face and trying to climb her, we separate them

I get the feeling the other puppy doesn't know how to play, and mine has no idea when to back off/calm down. I mean, people were commenting on mine just running laps around the house at full speed while the other one was being shy and just sitting on her bed. She was a sweet dog, but I wonder if she'd been abused(she won't let certain people pet her and flinches/hides from them).
>>
File: tumblr_ot1fxlC2IW1qjcdw9o1_1280.jpg (140KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ot1fxlC2IW1qjcdw9o1_1280.jpg
140KB, 720x1280px
Hey /an/. Give me your opinions on puppies vs mostly-grown/grown dogs

I'm getting a doggo soon. I was looking mostly at dogs 8 months-2 years old, because they're mostly done growing and a lot of their crazy energy is out the door. They also come housetrained already by then most times (not that it would be a big deal to train one, just a minor convenience). Because yeah puppies are cute as fuck, they also get adopted quickly by other people (which is a good thing) and they're a lot more work. There's also the factor of not really know what you're getting if it's a mutt puppy (i'll probably end up getting a mutt) and nobody knows what the parents were.

But I also think it would be really nice to be able to instill good behaviors from a dog very early on as a puppy and see him grow into a great dog.

What does /an/ think? Is the trouble of the puppy stage worth it? Are there significant differences?
>>
>>2434176
Oh yeah I'll also note that my bf works from home (although the away-from desk breaks he can take are pretty limited), and I only have a part-time job so we'll have time for a puppy
>>
>>2434176
>Is the trouble of the puppy stage worth it?
No. I fostered dogs for a while all of which were adults and all of which were already house trained and had basic manors well except for one that was a hyperactive nut case. Nice thing about being adults you know it is a hyper active nut case and not just a puppy being a puppy so you don't adopt that dog. My last two dogs were adopted around a year old and their personality had developed and I knew what I was getting. I didn't have to worry about trying to change a puppy's personality to be more like I want and just got a dog that already has that personality.
>>
File: IMG_4002.jpg (1MB, 2101x3498px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4002.jpg
1MB, 2101x3498px
This is my mutt, Bo. I think he's a beagle/min pin mix. What do you guys think?
He's also the sweetest dog I've ever known, loves to be on and around people and always sleeps right under the covers with me
>>
>>2434207
Cute! I'd agree with beagle/min pin. Looks like a happy lil dude
>>
>>2434176
>8 months-2 years old, because they're mostly done growing and a lot of their crazy energy is out the door.

Did someone tell you this or do you know from experience?
A 1 year old is functionally an adult but still very much a puppy.
A very young puppy (8 weeks) takes dedication with training and patience in house breaking, but young puppies sleep a lot. It's taxing for an owner because the rhythm doesn't sync nicely--much like a newborn (human) infant is also exhausting.
But dogs also go through the "terrible twos" in which a young dog has more curiosity and the wakefulness to explore. Young adulthood is when the dog is most likely to be "bad" with chewing on your shoes, furniture, etc. Not a rule, but definitely not uncommon.
>>
File: IMG_0504.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0504.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>2434207
Wow! He reminds me of my little princess, April. I also think she's some kind of beagle mix too.
>>
File: IMG_20170718_194229_1.jpg (3MB, 2976x3968px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170718_194229_1.jpg
3MB, 2976x3968px
This is my doggo. Beagle pit mix. He's about 15 months.

He's very responsive to food. I've trained him to do the generics. Sit, lay down, dance, speak, and roll over.

I can't get him to stay no matter what. He listens when I say come and listens when I say go but never stays put.

Can I get some tips on how to train him to stay? If I say sit he sits but only quickly unless I have a treat.

Also I need recommendations on chew toys. Only thing to last so far is a kong ball but it's getting smaller.
>>
>>2434267
How are you training stay right now?
>>
File: rex.png (240KB, 342x336px) Image search: [Google]
rex.png
240KB, 342x336px
>>2434243
Nah you're right. I misspoke. 8 months - 2 years is a pretty manageable energy level for me though. I meant more like you kind of know what you're getting at that age vs a puppy. I've just found them a lot easier to manage vs, say, a 2 month old puppy.

pic related, a dog I have my eye on
>>
>>2434270
With food and encouraging words. I'll hold the treat in my hand and let him sniff. Tell him to sit and he will. I tell him to stay and try to walk away and he gets up to follow. I tell him no and to sit and he will. If I maintain eye contact he stays. The moment I break it he gets up.

He has this issue where if anyone in the house goes outside he whines all high pitched and howls. If you come back I side even if you were in his eyesight the whole time, he's so excited you're back like you've been gone for a year.

Backstory, we rescued him from neighbors that were abusing him. He was about 3 months old and the kids had him tied up and were throwing sticks at him. No aggression issues and he's super loving. He adores my kids.

I just know with the pit/beagle mix they can be strong willed and thick headed.
>>
>>2434304
First, start with down-stay. Down is a more comfortable position for most dogs.

Second, stop walking away right now. Start by just giving him a down, then tell him stay. If he doesn't budge in 3 seconds, give him a "good boy!" And treat. Do that for a day or two, then 5 sexonds. Then 10 seconds. 25, 30, and so fortrh. Maybe stop once he can do two minutes of a down stay with you by him.

Then you'll want to start adding distance. Down, stay, one step back, good. Do the same thing. Slowly add distance, slowly add time.

It's a really hard command for some dogs.
>>
Is there any dog breed that could effectively defend a home but also wouldn't be tempted to murder my smaller pets, like cats, due to high prey drive? This is provided that training and exercise are provided
>>
So I've tried Royal Canine, Taste of the Wild, and now Blue for my lab mix.

Everything about him seems fine with all three except he will lick and bite at his paws making them pretty red and inflamed.

Worth switching him to Orijen or just accept this as a problem?
>>
>>2434356
English mastiffs. They're really docile in the home until it's threatened.
>>
Is this normal after a dental prophylaxis?

So I just picked up my dog from the veterinary, she got her teeth cleaned. The first 3 hours were normal dog was sleeping. But a few minutes ago she woke up and started coughing/making vomit like noises while walking around the house. It just stopped but I am worried now, is this something you can expect or is something more?
>>
>>2434381
Anything else?
>>
>>2434367
What kind is it? Maybe he's allergic to a protein
>>
>>2434293
that animal is beautiful. DO IT.
>>
File: 1491256431478.png (91KB, 417x279px) Image search: [Google]
1491256431478.png
91KB, 417x279px
My dog (west terrier/poodle mix) is 4 years old and the hair is starting to thin out on her back (and only on her back and hind legs) where I can see the color of her skin. It's been happening for about a month and a half, and nothing in her behavior changed during that time.

I took her to the vet, and he couldn't find anything wrong with her skin, stools, or blood after tests and basically told me
>she has no problems and no symptoms of allergies
>so I dunno lol, it's probably genetic

Does anyone have any idea of what it is and if I should be worried? Is she doomed to becoming bald?
>>
I've been assaulted by dogs 6-7 times in the past few years. Every time, EVERY SINGLE TIME it's been one of those tiny little shits and a female owner.

I don't even know where to begin with my questioning. How do I make this not happen? Why does this happen? Can I kick the dogs? Because that would be very cathartic.
>>
>>2434581
Haha. Get one of these maybe?>>2434059
>>
>>2434581
Those dogs are shit with owners that probably keep them outside to avoid dealing with them

Check your local laws, but you can call animal control on an unleashed, unfenced dog here. Sounds excessive but imagine a kid in that situation.

Kicking could work
>>
>>2434577

Non-pruritic , symmetrical alopecia would make me lean towards an endocrine problem- even more so as she's a westie/poodle mix. However, if she's had the bloods to rule that out- then I haven't the foggiest.

What tests did the vet do anon? I'm only a vet student, but I'd be happy to have a good look through what they've done.
>>
>>2434367
since it looks like you're going for grain free, look at the proteins and see if he's allergic to any. I know TOTW has multiple protein sources in a bag if it's the boar or bison or venison (probably others but those are the ones I know off the top of my head). if you've been using the same flavor across brands or there's a similar protein in each, you can probably narrow it down to that. dogs are more likely to be allergic to proteins than grains.

if you can't find a common allergen across the brands it's time to do an allergy test.
>>
>>2434115

Yeah, she's on top of a fourteener there in Colorado :3
>>
>>2433526
10/10 what's his name
>>
File: Screenshot_1.png (266KB, 338x338px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_1.png
266KB, 338x338px
>>2434556
isn't he though.

he's a great pyr/cattle dog mix according to the shelter and I'm only hesitant because I live in an apartment and he looks like a super high-energy herding boi. Also,

> Once here with us, we found that Rex had congenital hip dysplasia with one side being significantly worse than the other. Rex had femoral head ostectomy surgery in mid-April to repair one of his hip sockets and has been enjoying life in a foster home since then. Rex gets along well with other dogs and can run and play with the best of them now. He is under no exercise restrictions and the more he can do to strengthen his leg, the better.

Do you guys think there will be problems with age and I'll lose my beloved pet early if I get him? He's only 3 and he's already had these problems although they make it sound like he's perfectly fine now and forever.
>>
File: 3721.jpg (312KB, 2397x1348px) Image search: [Google]
3721.jpg
312KB, 2397x1348px
Please R8 my children
>>
File: 20160124_133758.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160124_133758.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
>>2434974
Better picture of the black one
>>
>>2434977
Great pic. Pretty boi. Other one looks like a fuckin cutie too
>>
File: DagAgain.png (2MB, 1199x738px) Image search: [Google]
DagAgain.png
2MB, 1199x738px
Would you pet my dog? y/n
>>
>>2434999
Y
>>
File: 3053.jpg (749KB, 2872x1616px) Image search: [Google]
3053.jpg
749KB, 2872x1616px
>>2434981
>>
>>2434999
I think it would go beyond petting. Would run around with outside.
>>
File: Bull Terrier.jpg (90KB, 423x282px) Image search: [Google]
Bull Terrier.jpg
90KB, 423x282px
Why do bull terriers look like sharks?
>>
>>2435081
Probably my least favorite looking dog desu
>>
>>2434367
Orijen cleared up the paw chewing/licking for my dog.

If that doesn't work try a limited ingredient food and see what protein gives her the best reaction. I've been told to try avoiding poultry first as it's supposedly one of the more common protein allergies in dogs. I know that Orijen sells limited ingredient food but I believe that's only from their Canada plant so it may be hard to get if you live in the states. There are several other excellent brands though if you find that switching to Orijen doesn't help your dog like it did mine.
>>
I plan on applying to grad school so will be living in an apartment for a long time.
Is there any medium to small dog that won't mind being alone often and I could take on runs most evenings and long hikes every couple weeks?
>>
File: dogg.jpg (249KB, 617x500px) Image search: [Google]
dogg.jpg
249KB, 617x500px
this fell out of my dogs mouth and I'm pretty sure it's a tooth tooth? What the fuck is going on with it?
I know she's getting old around 13 or so and teeth might start falling out normally, but I don't think this looks quite right.
>>
This is Martín what do you think ? He is a mastiff
>>
File: IMG_20170512_143602_045.jpg (1MB, 2336x3919px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170512_143602_045.jpg
1MB, 2336x3919px
>>2435619
>>
>>2435621
cute/10, with a very boopable nose
>>
>>2435081
Because it's not illegal to breed animals for certain 'looks', even though it probably should be when they cause health problems
>>
This is my pupper, she is good.
>>
>>2435892
That's a good pupper
>>
File: IMG_0170.jpg (198KB, 750x1221px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0170.jpg
198KB, 750x1221px
So, my girlfriend ended up picking up this lady about a year ago. Dog was previously owned by piles of shit that kept her in a garage all day and squeezed a litter out of her. They were moving out of their house and said they were just going to leave her there if no one wanted her. My girlfriend picked her up on a whim because fuck those people.

Since then, the dog and I have grown very close. I've started taking her on a lot more walks lately and, god damn, can this dog pull. Do you guys have any suggestions for ceasing the pulling behavior? After ~10 minutes of walking, she simmers down because she has fuck all for endurance, but it is a real hassle to deal with her trying to pull me up and down the street.
>>
>>2436049
I advise this shill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBN2_YuTclU&list=PLMssKIjsDxXkZk77nE0r0sdPoTuuDo-Oh

if you can get past his gay voice. If you have a hard time just controlling the dog, try an ez walk harness while training; it keeps the dog off kilter a bit so it's easier to walk them.

QT pup by the way.
>>
>>2436049

Teaching her the HEEL command might help. Let her know that you don't like it when she pulls. Letting her know what NO PULLING means would be good too. It'll take some time, but with patience you should be able to train that bad habit out of her, unless the dog is one of the working breeds and you might as well try and teach them to stop breathing, because pulling is what they were bred for in the first place.
>>
File: IMG_20170715_120723_151.jpg (507KB, 1080x1350px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170715_120723_151.jpg
507KB, 1080x1350px
Rate my puppers, both chocolate labs with a silver father, 5 months old.
>>
>>2436049
To add on to the not-pulling advice, maybe give her a time and place to weight pull?
The same mindset behind teaching a dog to speak so it's easier to teach it to shut up.
>>
>>2436061
I like this guy's videos but fuck he jews so much. I like his practices though, and if it gets him more famous to get the way he trains out there, then so be it
>>
>>2436049
exercise with her before the walk, abruptly stop when she pulls and wait for her to give leeway before walking again. >>2436061 is good advice he's got decent videos desu

>>2436068
cute pups, 10/10

>>2434093
sheeeit that's a nice dog anon. 11/10 very majestic

>>2434999
of course, nice coloring too
>>
how do you choose toys that your doggo will like? my dog is a chewer so i've gotten her a variety of chewing toys but she's kind of picky and doesn't like a few of them. i take her to the store to see if she shows interest in anything specific but she's aloof and ignores toys that aren't already hers.
>>
>>2436192
my dumb dogs go ape shit when I give them cardboard to decimate.
>>
File: dogs-2-015-08-0061.jpg (1MB, 3296x2472px) Image search: [Google]
dogs-2-015-08-0061.jpg
1MB, 3296x2472px
Redpill me on heelers and aussie shepherds and/or mixes?

I have a large yard and am very active. Someone is always home. I already talked myself out of a catahoula since I don't hunt but I do have a neighbor with sheep and goats who could show me a thing or two. I've worked with a ton of different dogs and have regularly cared for border collies but I've only even seen a blue heeler a total of three times in my life.
I see a few for adoption but they are usually adults. I'm not a big fan of puppies myself and I've been grateful that the adult dogs I've have were easy to train out shitty behaviors pretty fast.

My current dog only has so many years left and while she gets along with other dogs and animals, she prefers to be left alone so I have time for more research.
>>
>>2436215
Also I camp and hike regularly. Current dog is a good companion but since she's old and prone to sprains I've had to limit her so we don't hike as long as we used too.
>>
>>2433101
Shit. My mother in law bought us a bag of bully sticks for our big boy. They lasted him like 5 minutes each, so we were giving him around 5 or so a day as a treat.

The bag ran out in a week. I went to buy more and almost died. Almost $100 for a bag of bull dicks.

I didn't buy them because, for one, they were too expensive. But, for two, I realized my dog may be gay because he loves eating dick so much
>>
>>2436061
>>2436062
Thanks guys. Seemed to be making progress with her today already.

>>2436077
I've actually never thought about this but I might consider it. She's certainly built and bred for it sort of (pit/lab mix).
>>
Is it true that if I give a dog a really long name, it'll only pay attention to the first syllable or two?

If I consistently call it Smitty Werbenjagermanjensen, would it still come if I suddenly only said Smitty?
>>
>>2436215
Adopt a pitbull. You'd be giving a dog a second chance and if you're as good of a trainer as your self masturbatory description implies then you could train any bad behaviors out. This way you could prove to everybody that your dog is a good dog who dindu nuffin.
>>
File: download (3).jpg (45KB, 632x576px) Image search: [Google]
download (3).jpg
45KB, 632x576px
>>2436363
My roommate has a pitmix in which the both of them have on and off lived with us since 2005. Shelter legit was handing her near emaciated litter off the street since it was right after hurricane Katrina. His parents had got her since they felt bad and she was listed as a boxer/lab mix but you could tell from a mile away she's a pit mix.
She a great dog who dindu nuffin, she's just not my dog. He travels for work and pleasure, sometimes for months at a time and takes her with him. He plans on moving out of the country in the next two years. Not sure where exactly since they're banned in plenty of places.

I'd consider a mix myself but in my experience bully breeds aren't terribly smart. As confident as I am with my ability to raise a puppy, I prefer adopting adults and while I've easily corrected shitty behaviors I am just apprehensive about how one day I may adopt a real monster of a dog. Especially since I also have a cat. The border collies I've dogsat in my house frequently were perfectly fine. My cat is calm, doesn't bolt. This is a fairly large house so at worst I can easily keep them separated since the cat barely leaves the upstairs.

Pic semi related. The dogs for adoption I'm looking at aren't going to be available by the time I decide but I'm window shopping to see what heelers and other dogs are looking for homes.
>>
>>2436382
>that wagging tail.
Really cute. I bet when he gets really excited it's hard for him to keep balance due to wigglebutt.
>>
Family moved to the country and our water is absolute shit. The hard water is rusting the stainless steel bowls and leaving nasty white rings on anything we fill with water and washing them doesn't do much to help. Any suggestions on a good bowl or material for a water bowl for the doggos?
>>
>>2435892
She a scruffo
>>
>>2436451
I suggest you fix the problem, get a filtration system for your water.
>>
What's a good tie out option for doggo? He's a pit and bulldog mix, the fence we have isn't tall enough so he can jump over like nothing.
>>
>>2436382
That's true, although pit bulls are largely mutts and their temperament and traits vary widely compared to pure breeds, many do seem to be very fucking goofy. They are generally easy to train so long as they are properly stimulated but it may be difficult to find a dog that can go far beyond normal training.

I found an absolutely stunning pit type in the shelter, but I was going away on vacation in a few days and when I got back they adopted him out. Which I suppose is good but damn I missed a hell of an opportunity.

>>2436451
I have to go with the other anon, get a filter. Or get a dog water fountain with a filter that could help. Maybe even the constant circulation of the water fountain would help not leave marks.
>>
>>2436451
What aquifer/general region?
In some places, digging a deeper well fixes everything. Personally, it's cheaper to fill up 20 gallons of drinking water every now and then at the water station in town. I wouldn't mind a RO unit, but they get clogged instantly.

As far as deposits go, I was using an old fondue pot as a water bowl that was lined with some sort of ceramic or enamel. Very little stuck to it, and rinsing with a strong acid took care of everything without the need for elbow grease.
>>
>>2433042
Is it animal abuse to give your dog a beer now and then?
>>
>>2436491
>>2436570
>>2436571
I contribute rent but the lease isn't in my name so I don't think any sort of modifications to the home are feasible in this situation. Although I could probably buy a small filter of my own as long as it doesn't get in anybody's way.

>>2436571
I've actually got a jug of water I fill at the watermill the last few weeks for the dogs but some days, especially given how hot its been, I can't get out right away when they run out. I think I'll try a ceramic dish and also keep getting a couple gallons of water for them. We all drink from the watermill as well but the other housemates won't share our water with the dogs.
>>
>>2433257
MAYbe it was the weed ya fuckin goof
>>
File: DSC_0041.jpg (3MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0041.jpg
3MB, 3840x2160px
>tfw had to put my first dog to sleep today
It was first time I've ever seen my dad cry
Cherish your dogs, lads
>>
>>2436610
He was a cutie. I'm sorry for your loss, friend.
>>
Can dogs that live in the city and only go outside 1-2 hour a day and spend the rest of the time in an apartment be happy?
>>
>>2436741
You need to check your homeowner privilege, my dude.

Of course they can. Lots of people live with dogs in apartments and walk with them an hour (or less) each day.
It all depends on the dog, though. You'll have a hard time satisfying a grey hound with a lifestyle like that, for example.
>>
File: doggo.jpg (174KB, 1000x961px) Image search: [Google]
doggo.jpg
174KB, 1000x961px
I need some dog health advice.

My toy terrier (or russkiy toy, or whatever. picrelated) yesterday started yelping when I touch his hip (and sometimes when jumping and stuff). He also became very sick-like: doesn't eat a lot, doesn't do much, pretty restless.
I don't remember any recent strain that his back legs endured, so it probably isn't caused by an injury.

So this ticks all the boxes for arthritis.
Is it arthritis? What do? (other than go to the vet, which I will do if the pain remains after a day or two)
>>
>>2436755
why do people always think internet advice from people with 0 vet med experience can be their vet?

take your dog to the vet. he's in pain.
>>
File: IMG_20170701_095454537.jpg (1MB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170701_095454537.jpg
1MB, 1836x3264px
How often should I brush my dog and what kind of brushes to use? She has short length fur but it's pretty thick, and a double coat. Here's a picture.
>>
>>2436797
a kong zoom groom or knockoff, anything with rubber bristles. How often depends on how much she sheds, really. I'd say like 1-3 times a week in the summer. Also, cute pupper
>>
>sit by the computer
>dog gets up and leaves every time
>someone else can be in the room, he'll leave either way
>can be doing anything else, phone, reading, etc... and he'll stay

Does anyone else have a dog like that?
>>
Oh, made a thread before I saw this. I never visit /an/, until now because I have a dog now. Reposting question here

I have a 40 lb Jack Russel mix mutt dog. I don't know the exact breed, that's the best I can describe it.

What's the best dog food I can feed her? I've been feeding her Pedigree canned dog food, but she's getting where she won't eat it without waiting until she's really hungry.

english isn't my first language so sorry if my grammer is bad any where
>>
>>2436864
https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/

People often recommend taste of the wild
>>
>>2436864
What's your budget?

>>2436868
TOTW is under the Blue brand, and I think they might have the same dubious quality control.
>>
>>2436879
I don't know what normal dog prices are, so no clue.
>>
>>2436879
This Blue Buffalo outsourced their factories to China. Literally 2 months after that Blue Buffalo started giving my dog uncontrollable pure liquid shits with blood in it. If it's the best you can afford then that's a good choice, but if you're looking for the best of the best you can do much better.

>>2436868
That site seems good. I checked it out and it's actually based on the food content. You have to be careful with animal food reviews; most are review done by the consumer so it really just becomes a popularity game and the shittiest brands get the highest rating because they are cheap and animals 'love' them due to basically being junk food.
>>
>>2433488
Thanks, she's been better, I adjusted the dryer in the crate and she didn't have an accident yesterday.

>>2433622
>cruel
Relax, you sperg. AT MOST she is apne for a little over two hours, and that's just two days of the week, otherwise she's never alone.
>>
>>2436879
>TOTW is under the Blue brand
no, it's made by diamond.
>>
MY DOG IS THE BEST DOG IN THE WORLD.

ADMIRE HER.
>>
File: IMG_2095[1].jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2095[1].jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>2433042
are these burrowing fellas dangerous to dogs? There are no bufos where my grandparents live but lots of these burrowing frogs show up during rain season. They got a dog that really loves to kill anything that gets on their backyard, from cats to coyotes. It's a big dogo but I'm still worried about frogs since there are no snakes either.
>>
>>2437148
Toads can actually kill a dog, but I guess frogs are ok. It's on their skin, so even licking them (alive or dead) can affect a dog. I imagine the smaller the dog, the more likely it is to kill it.
>>
So I take my dog to a dog park built by an apartment complex

-No residence only or private property sign
-It's not attached to the building
-No key protection or anything just open to anyone that wants to go in

Is there any issue with continuing to use it? Even if some maintenance yupie tells you it's supposed to be the for the apartment only
>>
Can i train my dog to let me vacuum her fur with the hose attachment? I'm not joking, this is a serious inquiry.
>>
>>2433042
Ok give me a peer reviewed journal that tells me the appropriate time to take a puppy away from its mother.
>>
>>2437285
If you continue they'll probably send maintenance out again to talk to you, then they'll probably put a sign up, then probably call the cops.

Theres no sign saying you can't play in my backyard but that doesn't mean it's a public backyard
>>
>>2437333
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21865608
This has a link to an academic article I can't access
http://btoellner.typepad.com/kcdogblog/2011/08/academic-paper-on-behavioral-challenges-when-dogs-removed-from-litters-too-young.html
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4086890/

Legally you have to wait 8 weeks in most of the US. I'm phone posting so I'm not going to do all of your work for you.
>>
>>2437336
Your backyard doesn't have a sign that says Dog Park with the visible appearance of a public dog park does it and isn't accessible from outside your property?
>>
>>2433474
that's a bear
>>
File: w.jpg (90KB, 526x701px) Image search: [Google]
w.jpg
90KB, 526x701px
>Brothers gets a new dog
>Loves everyone except me
>Try to give it treats and do the whole hand sniff thing
>Tries to constantly bite me
>Deiced to leave it alone
>Still tries to bite no matter what I am doing
>Dog has come up to me randomly in front my family biting me
>Family gets mad at me for being annoyed at being bit

I don't know what the fuck to do? Since everything I do seems to upset the dog and somehow its always my fault. I have dealt with many dogs, but this one seem to take the cake.
>>
File: IMG_7262.jpg (166KB, 720x1278px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7262.jpg
166KB, 720x1278px
Anyone have any good chewy toys or treats for dogs that aren't chicken/beef based? My dog is allergic to both, but she likes to gnaw on things. I'm hesitant to give her antlers or anything that will splinter. Pic related, it's her
>>
>>2437357
my back yard looks very much like a dog park and is accessible from outside my property. I don't even have a dog
>>
Do I need to bring my doggo to the vet if nothing is wrong? She is spayed and had all her puppy shots but I haven't brought her to the vet since. I raw feed and she is very healthy, good teeth, smells good, no fleas/ticks.
>>
>>2437781
You should bring her in for a checkup every year or so, otherwise no.
>>
>>2437784
Okay, so just once a year on her birthday? Shits more expensive than a human physical tbqh senpai
>>
>>2437787
If you miss one it probably won't be the end of the world, but it's better safe than sorry to keep up with her vet checks.
>>
>>2437787
That's because you have insurance to cut the costs and the doctor is subsidized to reduce prices even lower. Believe it or not, they really do try to make human doctors affordable as possible.

Vets have neither of those things. Pet insurance really isn't worth it unless you can get it through your current car/house insurance (it will lower existing rates). Solo practice vets usually get blown the fuck out by scumbags in their early years which will raise prices too and make rules about no payment plans. Vets don't get donations like hospitals do where someone pays for entire wings. Vets don't get subsidized for their equipment and they have to generally buy more expensive (specialized) equipment than hospitals. Things like tiny scalpels actually cost more than normal ones for instance. On top of that, the vet has to pay their building bills, taxes, all of their employees, their equipment, their own loans, and any costs that others didn't pay on your vet visit. It generally takes a vet at least 10-15 years to take care of their 6 figure debt and unlike doctors, the vet clinic won't help them pay it off. It's easier to get into med school than it is vet schools because of how few vet schools there are, and because of that the schools have this unique Monopoly where they can charge the students out the ass. As a result, vet school is also more expensive than med school. Not to go off on a rant at you. It just grinds my gears when people think the vets are the Jews when it's almost everyone but the vets that are fucking them over, and I'm not even a vet. However that doesn't give anyone the right to be a dick. If you don't like your vet or you think he's overcharging, by all means call around to other vets for another estimate.
>>
I'm thinking of adopting an older dog, can older dogs be housebroken?
>>
My sister and boyfriend yell and beat there dogs when they do something like pee or poop in there apartment. Will that make the dogs more angry when they get older?
>>
File: feedingbonesstomachxray640.jpg (41KB, 644x484px) Image search: [Google]
feedingbonesstomachxray640.jpg
41KB, 644x484px
>>2437995

Vet student- here here, well said.

And to the guy you quoted, yes- you need to go, the dog needs his yearly vaccinations if absolutely nothing else.

Also, please reconsider raw, there is absolutely NO scientific data out there to show its proven beneficially over kibble- often its nutritionally unbalanced and comes off FAR worse. This is without considering GI perforations. If you want to go down the homemade route, please find yourself a qualified veterinary nutritionist and take it from there.
>>
>>2437598
A very good bear, yes, thank you for noticing!
>>
Why do my dogs always insist on sitting to the left of me?
>>
>>2437775
have you tried rawhides?
>>2437601
he knows
>>2436451
you need a filter on all your faucets or you will get hardwater buildup in your pipes that could cost you thousands to fix. Filters are cheap like 20 bucks just throw a couple on your faucets and clean them out every month. Seriously do it now, hard water buildup is no fucking joke
>>
>>2438242
Of course. And they often already are house broken although I don't want to get your hopes up. However, if the dog was truly never trained you will have to start out almost as if you had a puppy; you should take them out every few hours and crate them or keep them in a dog proof room when you are away. It will be the same technique as house training a pup except your dog will be able to hold it longer. Also keep feeding on a schedule to keep bowl movements more predictable
>>
>>2436578
It's all about the dog's preference. At my old place I spied a bowl of beer on the floor and the dog didn't have a drop of it. It's a question of whether or not your (s)he likes a brewski.
>>
>>2438356
To be closer to your heart
>>
I want to adopt a dog friend but that is a lot harder to do than I thought it was for some reason...
>go to a shelter
>see dog I like
>someone already has first dis
>someone has already adopted them
>dog is available on X
>return on X and dog is now adopted
>pet rescue "volunteers"
>such humane very wow
>petfinder.com
seriously fuck fucking fuck I hate people so much. this whole experience is turning me off having a dog but that is what I desperately want in my life right now

/rant
>>
>>2438699
I understand. Rescues like to get really involved in the adoption process, so try getting in contact with one and they can help you out.
>>
>>2438700
I've been to 3-4 local state funded "kill" shelters within 20miles of my house along with checking out a volunteer adoption rescue service this weekend and also seen two puppy stores like the ones at the malls which are basically breeders or connected to breeders and the dogs are the most expensive there.. yet the most cared for (supposedly)

but I am sick of these politics.. I just want to give a good dog a good home but people make that very difficult for some reason. I had a black lab for 15 years and when I got that dog the internet wasn't a very big deal. now people use fucking apps to find dogs like it's tinder or some nonsense holy shit I am getting worked up typing this
>>
>>2438701
>mother looking to get a daschund after her's died
>Wants a puppy (for the change of pace) but she'd be happy with almost any age
>Rescuer "friends" (the rich housewife type) want her to adopt from their "rescues"
>a million dogs in one (admittedly large) house
>want you to adopt they dog they pick out (typically sick or old ones no one else will take)
>they reserve to the right (or so they claim) to do multiple house checks in the first year after you've taken the dog
I mean, I understand, but when compared to a nice lady who breeds registered dachshunds in the town over, they're not making a strong case.
>>
>>2438245
It'll make them pee/poo out of fear.
Really, all they need to do to fix it is take the dogs out more often.
>>
>>2437328
There has to be. My old lab loved it. We didn't really have to train her because she was never afraid of it to begin with, just so laid-back.
>>
>>2437601
Change family. They must be stupid.
>>
>>2438701
I've rescued two dogs. The short of it is I have never had an experience like posters say here, nor have I heard of such an experience, nor do I know of any rescue group that does this.

The first was a local rescue:
>hey I want a medium sized, medium energy dog
>Okay here is this one
>Go meet him at a park
>I like him
>Rescue makes me have him over for a night
>Still okay
>Adopt him
Admittedly he has a lot of behavioral issues, primarily around impulse control and barrier frustration. He had never been walked on a leash before I took him in, and it took over a year to get him to walk respectably. Even now he'll still pull if he really wants to follow a scent trail.

Tldr I think thy ended up dumping an undesirable dog on me, but it was easy to adopt him and hassle free.

second dog:
>hey this dog on your website is really cute can I meet her?
>okay
>I really like her can I take her home?
>Sure fill out all the paperwork and pay the adoption fee
That was it.
>>
Is mane and tail shampoo okay for dogs? It's for horses but it's a lot cheaper per oz than dog specific shampoo.
>>
>>2436578
beer really isn't good for them. If you drop a bit and your dog gets it, it won't die or anything. But you have to keep in mind you are much bigger than your dog and can process more just from weight alone. You also have more of a tolerance because you occasionally drink a beer now and then, or every night who's judging. On top of that, humans have evolved for centuries to handle processing alcohol. Dogs never had to evolve for that, they were never big drinkers. So they can't really handle alcohol very well at all. It's not animal abuse but I'd try to avoid it when possible to save his poor liver.
>>
>>2438699
>Someone adopted a dog I like before I did
>How fucking dare they
If you don't want a first come - first serve experience, you'll have to go to a rescue who will pick who they believe are the best fit for the dog instead of who got there first. These are the only fair ways to deal with adopters.
>>
File: 20170721_180055.jpg (2MB, 2317x1350px) Image search: [Google]
20170721_180055.jpg
2MB, 2317x1350px
Posting OC I thought was funny
>>
File: 20170721_180003.jpg (2MB, 2449x1379px) Image search: [Google]
20170721_180003.jpg
2MB, 2449x1379px
>>
>>2438245
It could make the dogs more fearful of them, it could make the dogs hide their piss and shit or only piss and shit when the people aren't home to hit them, and it could actually make them more likely to bit (out of fear of getting hit) when they have a full bladder or have to poop. It'll be pretty funny when they get bit and the dog shits all over itself at the same time, probably won't be too funny when they go put the dog down after though.
>>
What are some good toy mice? My pupper likes to attack them.

I wanna get him into barn hunt, but there's nothing around me
>>
>>2438708
>they reserve to the right (or so they claim) to do multiple house checks in the first year after you've taken the dog
That's fucking stupid. Not only is that overkill and invasive, but I'm pretty sure they legally couldn't obtain that right. What are they going to do if you're like, "no, you can't come in"

>>2438699
I'm going to adopt a dog in a couple of weeks and I'm really dreading that. I know rescuers want the dog to go to a good home but what the fuck? why are you turning people off from giving a dog a home that it desperately needs? it's almost high and mighty
>>
>>2438809
>>2438898
it's OK because I got a pupper today from the shelter that would otherwise kill him. and I don't carry around this misplaced sense of entitlement and call myself a hero or rescuer or whatever else
>>
>>2439253
Hey Bro yeah >>2439264 is also me. I had a long night last night and was a tad upset over gettting snubbed for three (3) dogs all at once from the rescue people.. they didn't even inspect my house or whatever they just asked for a form and I received an email saying thank you for the consideration.

I count myself as a lover of all animals and especially dogs of course and would never think to abuse one or mistreat purposefully for any reason, but like you say these rescue people are way up their own asses about the whole process so much so that it turns me off (as an adult) to the process... if I were a little kid wanting a pet I would be heartbroken if I could even wrap my head around the whole politics of pet ownership

>update: I adopted a lhasa apso mix today and I will pick him up Friday after they neuter him
>>
>getting a degenerated codependent wolf instead of a superior feline of darwinian majesty
>>
File: 1487801293901.jpg (126KB, 604x516px) Image search: [Google]
1487801293901.jpg
126KB, 604x516px
>>2439274
I love my pupper but I do miss my kot.

I had him when I lived with my parents. His senior years were shit. He deserved better.
>>
File: itsadog.jpg (76KB, 632x788px) Image search: [Google]
itsadog.jpg
76KB, 632x788px
what breed is it?
>>
>>2439308
some kind of terrier mutt? jack russel maybe
>>
>>2439270
In the future, look for places that do a 'open adoptions'. An open adoption may ask you to fill out an application, but they will actually talk to you, ask about your situation, won't decline you just because of the app. If you aren't the fit for a dog, they will actually tell you why instead of never responding, and they will do their best to find a dog that may fit your needs.

It's incredibly heartbreaking to have dogs return to the shelter. After every time they are returned, there's an even higher chance they get returned again; people are sentimental and like the idea of being the only owner in a dog's life, so the more owners it has the less likely families will get attached. I've seen many cases, some of my own, where a nice, wonderful dog was adopted out and then returned and one reason or another, dies in the shelter. Sometimes it's behavior, sometimes it's because they didn't get adopted fast enough this time and got fatally ill or became neurotic and unadoptable, sometimes it's just a freak accident. Some rescues really can not afford to have returns. They generally always run on full capacity and they don't have a vet available to euthanize when things get crowded (nor would they want to), but at the same time they don't want people to abandon, neglect or kill the dogs they adopted out to them. I think this is especially true for rescues that do not have a brick and mortar kennel, and rely totally on fosters. In this case if someone returns an animal, they can't take it back until one of their fosters can take it. And people have their own lives, their own shit to do, not everyone can drop their obligations to take a dog in, assuming they aren't already at dog capacity. There's also the added issue that I imagine you were looking at a small breed, and those dogs are often considered toys and people severely underestimate their care. Not to go on a rant but I thought I'd be devil's advocate and shine light on the other side of this argument.
>>
>>2439270
congrats on your new friend, post pics when you got him
>>2439274
>not having and loving both for the best pet combo
ideal amount of pets for me is two dogs and a cat. i'd like to get a kitten and have him be really used to my two dogs so they love each other as they grow.
>>2439308
a cute mutt
>>
>>2439308
Looks to be a purebred CUTE to me
>>
>>2439327
>>2439313
>>2439326
Dog's 4 months old. She's said to be Golden Retriever mix with unknown. Do you guys/girls think she's a bit Carolina Dog? (Dog's in NC)
>>
>>2439376
Yeah I could see that. You could get a DNA test if you really wanna know
>>
>>2439388
Yeah, but based on what a Carolina dog is, the DNA test would just be a bunch of dogs. Either way a cute healthy dog is a good dog!
>>
>>2439325
>so the more owners it has the less likely families will get attached

That's fucked up man. People should just go through a breeder if they really want to be the only owner.
>>
>>2439325
I was planning on adopting one dog and I found out he was returned because the owners didn't anticipate the amount of exercise a Lab would take. Feel bad for him, I would adopt him, but he is not good with other dogs (nervous) and I don't think I would be the best fit for him.
>>
How many dogs is too many? Growing up I didn't have any and even now I still can't for a good few years.

At what point does it go from normal to weird as fuck?
>>
File: 1476385838837.jpg (43KB, 525x336px) Image search: [Google]
1476385838837.jpg
43KB, 525x336px
>>2439471
I wouldn't look at weird as much as how much you can afford in food, meds, accessories, and such; how much time you can spend with each individual; and how much space you have
>>
>>2433042
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccgkxP-4tVE
>>
Whats a good breed that:
>is very friendly and sociable
>not too much energy but not a slug either
>medium sized
>doesn't shed if possible
>>
>>2433042
I just got back from vacation and my gfs mom was watching my doggo. He's a boxer and has had previous skin issues but I did notice a significant amount of bumps on his underbelly. They look a lot like pimples or small bug bites. Some of them have a bit of pus coming out. He's been sleeping almost all day and has very little energy. His face is dry so I think he might be sick

I bathed him in a medicated scrub with anti itch stuff and it seems to be working decently. My question is.... what the fuck did he get into? What bugs would cause that many bites? He's on frontline so I doubt it's fleas or ticks
>>
>>2439308
Shiba face, looks like some kinda Shepard in the ears.
>>
File: yorkie n airedale.jpg (744KB, 2000x1441px) Image search: [Google]
yorkie n airedale.jpg
744KB, 2000x1441px
rate my doggorinos

>>2439507
Airedale fits those categories desu apart from the energy thing
Usually two walks or 40ish minutes running at the park with other dogs is enough for mine tho
>>
>>2439520
what's the yorkies name?
the airedale looks like a sweetie
>>
File: archie.jpg (742KB, 1245x1660px) Image search: [Google]
archie.jpg
742KB, 1245x1660px
>>2439523
Mia.

She's like 5 months old and housetraining her is taking forever, she doesn't pee in the house anymore but she still shits inside sometimes.
>>
>>2439482
Lets just assume I have the money, and I only work about 3 hours or so a day, Whats a number where if you walked into the house and saw them you'd be like
>Wew lad
>>
>>2439543
For one person? Probably 4 dogs I'd think "wow really". I think a good rule is 1 animal per human in the household, plus 1 or MAYBE 2. But that does vary a lot with how much room you have and how loved you can make them feel individually.

>>2439528
>>2439520
I always liked the long snouts on those dogs. Very classy looking puppers, although I'm not typically a fan of small breeds. The dogs that look like archie but much bigger are really neat
>>
>>2439507
Maybe a greyhound, as long as you have enough room to let them loose so they can zoom around for like 15 minutes a day. Other than that little bit of energy burst, they're basically couch potatoes. They have shorter hair but, like, there's gonna be shedding as is with any dog. Not too much tho. They're really sweet and friendly.
>>
>>2439520
cutesies / 10
>>
>>2433042
check out YouTube link
>>
>>2433042
>>
I'm getting a German Shepherd puppy at the end of the year. Been on the breeder's waitlist since about February.

Apart from getting the food the puppy's on at his breeder, getting a puppy collar, and booking him in to see the vet for a check up within a couple of days of getting him, is there anything I need or need to do specifically?

It's been a really long time since I had a puppy.
>>
File: IMG_9723.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9723.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
What breed is my dog?
>>
>>2436864
My dog has eaten Royal Canin, Blue Buffalo, Honest Kitchen, and Merrick. Never encountered problems with those brands, but Merrick is the only one he'll show excitement for
>>
>>2439412
It's largely subconscious actually. It's a shame, especially because the dog will love everyone the same, but that's how it works.
>>
My labrador itches all the time, and now the bumps are getting inflamed because of him chewin on it or scratching it. Bad spots are in the back of his front legs, some spots on the low back, and mainly his tail.

What could be causing this and how do I prevent it from happening?
>>
>>2439705
Also, to add: He has a vet appointment tomorrow morning, so hopefully I have some ideas what could be done for him.
>>
File: 20170622_203657.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170622_203657.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
R8 my dog
>>
>>2439705
Could be allergies.

My poor dog would wake up from naps just to scratch and became lethargic. He's responded well to an allergy shot and is honestly a completely different dog
>>
My dog seems to be pretty sick. She's 11 years old and very mixed breed. Hasn't eaten anything for almost 24 hours and isn't drinking either. The last thing she ate was a soft dog treat stick and she vomited some of it 20 hours ago. Also seems to be in some pain since she's just lying on her side and shivering and falling asleep occasionally. My Mom managed to give her some water with a syringe.

I hope she's not dying yet.
>>
>>2439743
Nigger go to the vet right the fuck now
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KExXAWfndGo
>>
>>2439729

>cute pupper with perky ears/10

My puppy doesn't know when to back off from other dogs and is socially retarded. What do I do? I don't want him to get hurt, but I figure if he gets snapped and bit maybe he'll realize he needs to back off.
>>
File: 1437658095455.png (104KB, 358x242px) Image search: [Google]
1437658095455.png
104KB, 358x242px
i refuse to rate any dog that is sideways.

rotate your dogs properly, anons.
>>
File: IMG_20170722_193432.jpg (2MB, 2340x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170722_193432.jpg
2MB, 2340x4160px
Got to try out his rain coat yesterday. It made walking in the drizzle pleasant for him
>>
File: salem.png (327KB, 445x490px) Image search: [Google]
salem.png
327KB, 445x490px
what the fuck is wrong with pic related dog's eyes? She's listed as a german shepherd mix at a shelter, but like... there's something really off about her eyes in all her pictures. Is it just me?

>>2439729
BIG EAR BOI
love me some giant bat ears on dogs.
>>
>>2439829
Her eyes remind me of a bad taxidermy
>>
File: salem2.jpg (21KB, 329x329px) Image search: [Google]
salem2.jpg
21KB, 329x329px
>>2439834
Right? I wonder if it's her breed mix or something
>>
>>2439829
>>2439836
Looks like a good doggo with fine eyes to me, nothing weird. I would pet her.
>>
File: art.jpg (60KB, 597x395px) Image search: [Google]
art.jpg
60KB, 597x395px
I have an 'impossibly' energetic 6 month old medium poodle. This little guy has remarkably few and mild behavioural problems (so far), but I can tell that he is uncomfortably restless on the evenings whenever I haven't been able to exhaust him, which is honestly most evenings.

He has trouble finding his calm, but you can tell he is trying. He will move around every few minutes to lay down in a new spot, be panting even though he is just laying down, and look out the windows or walk around the apartment restlessly. He mostly refrains from directly bothering me, but I want him to be able to relax in his life with me.

Dont get me wrong, we do smeller training, retrieving, hike in the woods and in the mountains, I just started taking him with me on runs. I might take him cycling in the future too, but either way physical stimulation seems almost completely in vain so far. It makes sense, obviously I cant exhaust an athletic dog like this in what is a reasonable workout for me. Unless he has to use his head a lot he is almost always restless.

Any advice?
>>
>>2439854
Have you tried mental stimulation? Treat toys, puzzle toys, etc?
>>
>>2439857
I have a few and they keep him occupied because of the inconvenient way in which they dispense treats, but dont seem to stimulate him anymore. Do you know of any particularly good ones?
He has a technique down for all of his, and rarely experiments at this point. I also give him most of his meals frozen in a kong. Thats three or four times a day that he spends an hour getting all the frozen meat out of a large kong.

Other than that I make him wait in the hall while I hide treats around the apartment and let him search for them and do all kinds of regular indoor training, but this elevates his energy level, he might lose focus, but he never wants to stop.
>>
>>2439854
have you tried taking him to a dog park?

>He will move around every few minutes to lay down in a new spot, be panting even though he is just laying down
this sounds more like he is in some kind of discomfort instead of having too much energy.
>>
File: l.jpg (67KB, 596x396px) Image search: [Google]
l.jpg
67KB, 596x396px
>>2439941
We go to dog parks now and then, but I try to avoid it for my own sake just because I generally despise dog people and for his sake because there are often shitty dogs there and there is little I can do to control anything, besides running over and throwing improperly socialised bullying dogs the fuck off of him after they would have already been able to make a bad impression on a less mentally robust dog.

He has dog friends though, and I frequently, almost daily let him loose to play with dogs we come across in parks. They often become groups and we will have our own little dog park where new dogs are properly introduced in a more gradual manner
>>
Hi friends,

A mate is looking to get a dog and wants something that will best fit into the following criteria;

-small breed
-will live in town house with small back yard
-low health complications
-'intelligent'
-low exercise requirement

I've suggested silky terrier, whippet, Chihuahua
>>
>>2440310
Probably a shih tzu. There aren't a lot of dogs with low exercise requirement that are still really healthy because oftentimes the reason WHY they're not super energetic is because they were poorly bred (ie bulldogs) and the healthy dogs were bred that way so they could work for a long time without fatique (ie border collies).

He could always get a mutt that's a few years old, or older, from a shelter and ask about that particular dog's temperment. Probably the best bet.
>>
Are mouth locks a good way to keep a puppy from wanting to bite people?
>>
>>2440362
"hehe"
>>
File: 2016-ekiden.gif (2MB, 360x203px) Image search: [Google]
2016-ekiden.gif
2MB, 360x203px
well trained agent
>>
So me and my boyfriend recently got a puppy. I've had two dogs before with my family before I moved out, and we've had them since they we're puppies, and my grandma who I'm very close to has always had at least two dogs, so I'm fairly experienced
But jesus christ, this little ball of fur is unlike I've ever experienced before
First of all, when we go outside, she tries to eat literally anything and everything, ranging from pinecones and pebbles to things like plastic and old cigarettes on the ground. We can't take our eyes of her or she's munching on something. We have to open her mouth and pull stuff out maybe 15 times on a 5 minute walk, and I'm scared that at one point we'll miss something and she'll get hurt in some way. Anyone know any solutions? The only thing I can think of is getting a muzzle, and I really don't want that.
The other thing is that maybe once a day, she becomes extremely hyperactive, running around and biting everything, us included. Not just playful biting either, she bites as hard as she can, and several times she's drawn blood.
I've tried distracting her with her toys and playing with her, trying to calm her down by petting her or holding her, and I've also tried telling her of really harshly, but nothing has an effect on her.
The only thing that's worked so far is putting her in her cage for a while, after that she gets kinda tuckered out, but I don't want to do that if I don't have to, because I feel like it's almost like punishing her, and I don't want her to feel like being in her cage is punishment, since she'll be in her cage in the car.
If anyone has dealt with anything similar and want to share what helped for them I'd be super grateful
She's 11 weeks btw, and I realize this is probably something she'll grow out of, but that might take a few weeks and she's almost unbearable when she's at her worst (and she get's really stressed out herself), so I really feel like I need to do try to do something
>>
File: 20161229_123740.jpg (2MB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20161229_123740.jpg
2MB, 2560x1536px
>>2433042
My dog died while I was in Basic Training. RIP
>>
>>2440660
I'm sorry for your loss, anon. RIP.
>>
File: IMG_0145.jpg (1MB, 1936x1936px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0145.jpg
1MB, 1936x1936px
Storytime
> Have a good dog. A wonderful good boy.
> Build him a house in the backyard. Love him.
> Have a uncle is a drunk bastard that doesn't care.
> Have two cousins are generally good kids but unresponsible.
> Still, family, but whatever, remember this.
> Leave to the South of Brazil for a couple of years.
> Leave the care of said dog to cousins and a uncle. (Huge mistake)
> Work well. Gain some money. Life is good.
> Come home. All good. Except.
> Where dog?
> Check out dog.
> His living in the toolshed. Why?
> Where's the house?
> A typical tropical storm destroyed the house.
> See picture. The fuck's happened?
> Ask uncle and kids.
> They stopped giving him baths altogether.
> They stopped taking care of his health.
> They only throw the remains of the food and anything they don't want to eat in a bucket and give him to eat.
> Had the biggest rage fit in my life.
> Almost took them to the police for that. I love that dog.
> Still... Family...
> Only family you have. And sadly, you care abou them. Don't want to see stupid uncle locked in jail neither have to take care of two brats...

What to do? I want to bring him back to health, but i'm afraid if i take him to the vet, they will report my uncle for animal abuse. If he gets locked in jail, i will be the one to take care of the kids and i just ... can't... Even if he gets a fine, he won't be able to pay it and i'll end up paying for it or he'll end up locked anyway for not being able to pay it.
I just want to have my good boy back.
Help me, guys.

> Pic related. It's the good boy.
>>
>>2440689
I'll turn this into a thread, maybe i can get more responses...
>>
Is it weird to give your puppy a middle name? There are a couple names I really like that are unusable due to length and/or pronunciation, but would like to think as still being part of my dog's name even though I'd never use it in earnest.
>>
>>2440689
>leaving your dog for a couple of years
First of all, that's kind of a sucky thing to do
Second, take that poor pupper to the vet. Fuck what happens to your shitty uncle. If you ever loved that dog, get him proper help.
>>
File: Irish Setter 3.jpg (64KB, 300x356px) Image search: [Google]
Irish Setter 3.jpg
64KB, 300x356px
>>2433042
is he a good boy?
>>
>>2439308
damn s/he thiccc
>>
>>2440733
Nah. My dog's name is Spaghetti Fitzgerald. You do you
>>
>>2440781
He's a cute lil boy
What's his name
>>
File: 20170726_132829.jpg (2MB, 4032x2268px) Image search: [Google]
20170726_132829.jpg
2MB, 4032x2268px
rate my pug. she's 13.
>>
>>2440660
I'm sorry. Blue heeler?
>>
>>2440871
Yeah bleu heeler, Pit Bull, Black lab as far as I can tell. Got her off a homeless tranny when she was a puppy. A Trannysient.
>>
File: 20170726_152541.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170726_152541.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
My puppy has this in her mouth. Can someone identify?
>>
>>2439471
I live with 4 dogs, 3 of them being mine. I feel pretty normal but I'm sure other people don't think so. My social life is dictated by whether or not I can bring my animals and who my animals like.
>>
>>2440887

tooth
>>
>>2440887

Looks like a minor blister, might have chewed on something that nicked her gums. Just keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't get infected and make sure her chews don't have sharp edges.
>>
Hey /an/
Recently my dog was in her estrus cycle, which seemed prolonged. Now her vulva is still swollen and is now producing a yellow-brown foul smelling odor. I brought her to the pet emergency room the same day, and according to them the X-Ray and ultrasound "didn't show anything obvious". Other than that though it's definitely a bacterial infection, confirmed by microscope they found WBCs and bacteria, as well as RBCs in her drainage. The swab cultures won't be ready for a few days. My concern is that she has Pyometra, but they weren't able to firmly diagnose her with this and so they sent us home with oral antibiotics. Should I get a second opinion? It was to my understanding the best treatment is to get them spayed, however the doctor I spoke to said it would be better to get the infection under control with some antibiotics before a surgery?

Has anyone had a similar experience? What should I do?
>>
>>2440861
10/10 cute sleepy dog :)
>>
>>2440689
Just tell them you found the dog and take him to the fucking vet
>>
>>2441100
Give them the antibiotics and wait for the results before jumping to conclusions and doing something you might regret
>>
>>2441216
I suppose that's all I can do. My only concern is that the vets told me pyometra can get bad quick, although they aren't sure she even has it or not. I'll just have to see how the antibiotics do and monitor her for any changes.
>>
>>2441100
It won't ever hurt getting a second opinion. Especially if it is pyometera
>>
File: 49069._AC_SL1500_V1460478783_.jpg (345KB, 933x1500px) Image search: [Google]
49069._AC_SL1500_V1460478783_.jpg
345KB, 933x1500px
Is Taste of the Wild a good dog food brand? Pic related
>>
>>2441443
>>2441443
https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/taste-of-the-wild-dog-food-dry/

For dog food it's good, but the cat food isn't too great.
>>
>>2441476
Thanks!
>>
Hey guys, someone who wishes to become a dog owner here. I want some advice because I want to start saving to adopt a dog, but I have this problem.
Basically, I'm too afraid of whether I am fit to be an owner or not. I know I sound like a little bitch, but what makes me nervous is the idea I am not fit to take care of the dog. What if my dog will attack another dog? What if I can't train it well? What if there's something wrong with my dog and I won't be able to detect it?

Really, I'm just asking for people who (have) own a dog to share their experience. Whether it's about your first dog or before getting one, really, everything will do.

I do volunteering work at a shelter, and I want to learn more about dogs. I really want to own a dog in the future, but I first want to get rid of this anxiety if possible, and learn how to be a proper dog owner.
>>
>>2440637
>she tries to eat literally anything and everything
That's just a puppy thing, you have to watch her when she's outside. Maybe keep her on a tie out or block areas where she often finds stuff to eat. Puppy proof your home or keep the dog in an area that's puppy proof and give a ton of different types of toys and textured chews. Playing with her and tiring her out would also help, just keep her engaged. Look into how to teach dogs the look command, it will help keep her attention on you. Next time you go to the vet you can ask about pica but I think your puppy is just doing puppy things personally.
>>
>>2441564
>What if my dog will attack another dog?
Keep your dog on a leash and be cautious around other dogs.
>What if I can't train it well?
Hire a professional behaviorist to help you with any stubborn or difficult behavior issues your dog is having.
>What if there's something wrong with my dog and I won't be able to detect it?
Yearly check ups.

There are ways to deal with any level of paranoia. Yeah you're going to be a self conscious nervous wreck with your first dog for the first year. It's something everyone experiences. "Oh shit my dog threw up gotta rush it to the emergency vet". "My dog cannot do a triple backflip into a counterclock somersault. I'm shit at dog training". Best advice I can give is just jump feet first in, be as ready as you can be, and just learn and deal with things as they come up because no one is really ready for their first dog.
>>
>>2441569
>jump feet first in
Dude, isn't that the main reason why so many dogs are brought to the shelter? Because owners just go and adopt a dog without being well prepared?
>>
>>2440660
Rest in Peace, doggo.
>>
>>2441574
You probably should have read to the end of my post, because I immidately said "be as ready as you can be" after what you greentexted.
>>
>>2441583
Oh fuck son. Nah, I did read it but for some reason I didn't (?). Sorry bro.
>>
>>2441569
Thanks for the reply, really appreciate it. I just wanna make sure I don't give the dog a shit life.
>>
>>2433256
>I'm doing my family a favor by doing something I'm not apt to do in anyway

Go fuck yourself, retard. I know it's a good thing to do but you're not helping anyone by trying to simply "get over your fears". Thy were better off just hiring someone trustworthy and who knows how to actually deal with dogs than send a family member with a fear of fucking dogs. Go fuck yourself.
>>
>>2433256
>I'll just get over my fear, no big deal
>this dog has attacked other people, no big deal

you are a fucking retard. Nigga dogs read the energy you give off. If they are having behaviour issues to the point they might attack someone, and if you don't even know how to handle dogs properly, you're fucked. Good luck in dog hell, kiddo.
>>
>>2441599
As long as you are fulfilling your dogs basic needs, then any life you give them will be the best life.

>>2441590
It's okay friend.
>>
>>2441613
>>2441618
>replying to posts that are a week and a half old
ok
>>2441564
The fact that you're nervous about doing right by your dog is a good sign. It means you'll want to give your pup the best you can offer, and that's more than 90% of owners do. A lot of people get dogs from the shelter and don't train it, enable bad behaviors, leave it outside, let their stupid kids tug on it and mistreat it, give it the cheapest food they can possibly afford, etc etc etc. That life is STILL better than sitting in a shelter for the rest of its life, probably. Now look at what you want to do with a dog and compare it to the dog sitting in what is basically a cell for years. Isn't that a good comparison? You sound like a dude who just wants to treat his dog well. Nice job anon.

If you're afraid about behavioral issues, just as Other Anon suggested there are classes for things like that. Things like obedience school, and other classes that you and your dog can do TOGETHER so you can figure out what works for you. It'll be a learning process for both. Just get a pupper and treat it right, like it seems like you want to do, and congratulations when it finally happens. Don't forget to post pics here.
>>
>>2441630
>getting this much praise
G-Geez, thanks anon!
(though I don't completely agree with how you treat the shelter part. I learned dogs live mostly in the present, so as long as a shelter treats them well and they have a nice life, they don't feel too much like shit (thank god))

I think I feel a lot more confident now, and I shouldn't have forgotten about obedience classes in the first place.

For me, volunteering in the animal shelter means cleaning up the dog kennels, but while I do so i always see the dogs being taken out for their morning or (if I stay too long) afternoon walks. I always feel like just some youngster who doesn't understand dogs and the responsibilities next to these people, so that kinda fed my anxiety.
>>
>>2441638
I used to wash dogs at a groomer's place. I've felt like you before. You're gonna be a good owner senpai
>>
>>2433162
>The issue is that he still acts like a puppy in his fear stage and is intolerant of all strangers and friends that come over frequently no matter how much we try to socialize him
Canaans can act like this a lot b/c they are a primitive breed, closer to what dogs were before we started screwing with their breeding patterns
>>
My goofy ass dog found a splintered piece of chicken bone on one of our walks and while I'm pretty sure I got all the pieces/shards out of her mouth before she could swallow anything, I'm mega paranoid and have been adding rice to her food. Just gotta play the waiting game and hope she's going to be alright.

I'm a huge worrywart when it comes to this dog. It's kind of embarrassing.
>>
He's definitely got some rottweiler in him
>>
>>2441680
My dogs have gotten a chicken bone a few times in walks. Never had any trouble thankfully. Hoping the best for your pup.
>>
My 11 lb Chihuahua ate a grape this morning. I induced vomiting an hour later.

Is she going to die?
>>
>>2441564
I often tell people to just try walking for 30 minutes in the morning and an hour in the evening to help get them prepared for a dog, and to puppy proof the house (and keep it puppy proof, that's the hard part) now so you get used to it. If you are really nervous, you can try to foster one of the sick dogs at your shelter for a few weeks to get you in the groove of it. After a while it just becomes less of a chore and just part of your life.

>>2441680
Check for blood in stool the next couple of days and straining to poo

>>2441718
is this Chihuahua anon?
>>
>>2441685
Ty famalam

>>2441800
Yup, I'm keeping an eye on her to watch for any signs of discomfort or abdominal pain. Thankfully I WFH during the summer so I can take her to the vet at a moment's notice and watch her carefully.
>>
/v/irgin here,

I'm a lazy fuck but my love for doggos has been on my mind a lot lately. I'm willing to put in the time/money into raising one well, but would a corgi or pug deal well with a couch potato-like setting?
>>
>>2441942
my pug sleeps like 15-18 hours out of the day with only a walk once a day or so. She tires out in about 10 minutes if it's warm out.
>>
>>2441942
corgis are actually pretty energeti, so don't do that. Just get a dog with a smooshed face and you should be good. even if they wanna run another mile they cant :D
>>
>>2441942
If you're going to get a pug, please don't give money to a breeder but go to a rescue instead. Breeding pigs is close to animal cruelty. Pugs aren't too active but every dog should have 2 walks a day. Corgis on the other hand were bred to herd animals a few hundred times their size all day. Corgis need a lot of physical and mental stimulation. Basset hounds are another low energy breed. Keep in mind puppies of all breeds are hyper and nuts for at least a year or more, if you don't want to deal with puppies you can either look through shelters or rescues or get a retired breeder from a dog breeder. Alternatively, you can get a pretty lazy dog of any breed so long as you get it old enough. Senior dogs are generally pretty chill.
>>
>>2436049
What kind of collar you using?

Easy walk dog harnesses generally help.
>>
>>2441942
Nah, despite how they look corgis are actually herding dogs.
>>
File: chief.png (419KB, 701x709px) Image search: [Google]
chief.png
419KB, 701x709px
I posted this in the wrong thread because i'm retarded so let's try again

I'm looking to adopt a dog in the next couple of weeks. I live with my bf, who works full-time, but I have a part-time job (like 20ish hours a week) and the rest of the time I freelance at home to pay the bills, so someone would be home with the dog most of the time.

But we have pretty weird schedules. We usually wake up around noon, and then go to sleep around 4 or 5 since my bf gets home from work at about 11pm and I do my best freelance work in the middle of the night. We're just night owls.

Will the dog be okay to adjust to that? I of course would make sure to schedule regular and routine meal/walk times, so he'd have a consistent schedule, but do you think it'd just have difficulty getting used to the weird times and be confused or "off" all the time?

pic related, a serious contender for who we'd like to bring home, assuming he's still available in a couple of weeks
>>
>>2434059
This is a beautiful picture.
>>
>>2436363
pits are shit-tier. you're bitter
>>
Are there any good "dog breed quizzes" that can actually give me an honest result on what dog breed is best for my lifestyle? I really want a dawg, dudes
>>
>>2442021
That's a cute doggo!

All dogs care about is a routine. As long as you're pretty consistent, then he'll keep you in check and prompt you to go for a walk or to have a meal on schedule.
At least that's what my doggo does. Works like a clock. Even has a snooze function, which is activated by a stern "NO, not yet".
>>
>>2442045
Look on Dogtime
>>
>>2442021
Dog should be fine with that. They are very adaptable. As long as they have some sort of routine, they will thrive. It doesn't have to be "normal" hours.
>>
File: IMG_20131114_151516.jpg (1MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20131114_151516.jpg
1MB, 2048x1536px
>>2437131
your dog's pretty good kid but...
goml
>>
Is it true that if I live in an apartment and have a full day job I can't have a dog even though I would be with him my entire free time and also during lunch breaks etc ?

Because everyone I speak with and anywhere I read I am lead to believe that I can't
>>
>>2442130
You cannot have a puppy, but adopting an older dog is fine.
>>
File: IMG_20170521_015454232.jpg (604KB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170521_015454232.jpg
604KB, 2448x3264px
What breed is my dog?

He's a rescue so I don't have a tonne of information about his background. He weighs 22.5kg which his vet said was perfect for him.

White tips to all toes and tail. Neck has some white too.

I thought he might have some Ridgeback in him because when he goes mad at cats outside you can clearly see a T ridge across his shoulders.
>>
File: IMG_20160922_240206188.jpg (329KB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160922_240206188.jpg
329KB, 2592x1944px
>>2442133
As loyal a pupper as you'll ever find though.
>>
>>2440861

was she an asshole as a puppy? my pug mix is a complete asshole puppy.
>>
>>2433042
>>What should I feed my dog?
Dogfood.
>>What breed of dog should I get?
A labrador.
>>How do I train my dog?
You probably don't really need to.
>>Rate my dog!
2/10 would not bang.
>>Should I bring my dog to a vet?
If there's something wrong with it.
>>What breed is my dog?
Doesn't matter.
>>What toys should I get my dog?
Your dog does not give a single shit. Give it whatever, so long as it's made for dogs.
>>My dog is doing x, what do I do?
If X is annoying, punish it when it does it and show it what it should do instead if applicable. If X is dangerous, put an insurmountable obstacle between the dog and X.
>>Where do I get a dog?
A reputable breeder.
>>How do I take care of a puppy?
Feed it. Play with it. Train it.
>>How do I house train a dog?
Yell at it when it pisses inside and take it outside regularly to piss until it gets the idea.
>>Can my dog eat this?
Is it food? Yes? Then yes.
>>
>>2442021
As others said, as long as there is a routine the dog will get used to it. It will be a bit of hell at first though. He will probably want to play while you're asleep, sleep while you're awake etc so be prepared for that.
>>2442045
Hate to burst your bubble, but I wouldn't trust any breed quiz. In my opinion they are all severely over-simplified and they purposefully try to vary it so there will actually be a reason to put some dogs in there that normally wouldn't quite fit in any household. last I checked ribbit was absolutely autistic about selecting dog breeds for people who gave information. if you want to check there, they will probably help guide you in the right direction. More accurate than a dog quiz.

>>2442130
As the other anon said a young puppy would be out of the question due to the fact that they would have to go outside a pee often, and if they can't they will learn it's ok to pee inside. There's also the issue that they have many short bursts of energy, and you can't really tire them out with a long walk first thing in the morning (too much strenuous activity can fuck up growth palates on a pup). However you can get an older dog or older puppy (may want to take a few days off for an older puppy). Tire them out in the morning with a run/walk, give them a kong with some food that is frozen, or some other puzzle toy, or a chew, or all of the above, take him out for a potty break during lunch and take him for a nice stroll in the evening. that would work out fine. just make sure your apartment approves of your dog beforehand, even if they say dogs are fine. I get a picture of the dog I want and show it to them, because sometimes landlords will get triggered. neighbor accidetally pissed a landlord off by getting a red shepherd; she was given the OK to get a dog that breed and that size, but not that color. A red shepherd bit the landlord when he was a kid so she made her get rid of it. Also, make sure you puppy proof the area.
>>
>>2442135
sleepy pupper

>>2436868
Im gonna put this in the next OP since it seems really useful and pretty accurate. Anyone have any questions, complaints, concerns, or anything else to add to next OP?
>>
>>2442211
Good to know thank you, that is very useful.

Also what age would constitute "an older puppy"?
>>
>>2442160
furthest from the opposite. By far the worst thing she would do was bark at people visiting the house, but then immediately go over to be picked up and cuddle.
I think pugs are just about the most docile dog in existence. It's very rare, almost unheard of to me, to have a vicious pug.
What is yours a mix of?
>>
>>2442396
>furthest from the opposite
oops that got fucked up. supposed to say "the complete opposite".
>>
>>2442263
8+ months
>>
>>2442396

I have a pug mix that's sweet with everyone, but gets to be a bitey asshole with us(owners). He just.. he has so much energy. I thought pugs were lazy shits. He's a boston terrier/pug mix, so I figured he'd be a chill goofball dog-but as a puppy he's a hyperactive little aasshole that WILL NOT chill. Even when he's so exhausted that he's flopping around acting drunk(we have to force him to nap in the crate and he gets upset about that).
>>
>>2443182
>boston terrier
i thought those are a pretty lively breed. probably where he gets it from
>>
File: 20170729_200410.jpg (3MB, 4032x2268px) Image search: [Google]
20170729_200410.jpg
3MB, 4032x2268px
Need help on what mix. Just picked this guy up today. He is a rescue. It's a siberian husky mix.
2 years old
Brownish Orange eyes.
Around 44 lbs.
Thread posts: 317
Thread images: 68

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.