[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How can I be a better skink owner?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_3901.jpg (2MB, 3021x3152px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3901.jpg
2MB, 3021x3152px
This is my SO's blue tongued skink, Apone. Apparently they're pretty primitive creatures, but I feel like I'm doing something wrong by not being more affectionate as an owner. Sometimes I hold Apone/give him ear rubs and I will put him in the window sill to sun bathe, but is there anything else that might be enjoyable for him? We give Apone eggs as treats, but mainly just feed him canned dog food - any reccs on foods he might enjoy?

In other words, am I taking care of Apone correctly? I feel bad that he just chills in a cage most of the day and like he needs more enrichment or something.
>>
>>2431659
How about you read up how to actually take care of a skink correctly before you think about enriching his life? At the moment it sounds like you treat it like a dog with scales.

Try to get basic care right first. And no, a simple care sheet is not enough, do some actual reading.

Also with that knowledge you will know how you can enrich his life (mainly diet, they don't need or want much stimulation).
>>
>>2431663
I was confused by the dog food thing and looked it up. I have never owned a skink but apparently this isn't uncommon.

I think OP could do better than dog food, especially if it's a particularly shitty brand of dog food. Moderation seems fine but what I'm seeing by those feeding them exclusively dog food seem like lazy idiots.

Also just googling 'blue tongue skink diet' and OP needs to feed the motherfucker some goddamn fruit and veg.
>>
>>2431663
I've read mainly from care sheets found online, but don't know what other resources are out there to be a better owner. I've never been acquainted to a reptile until my SO brought him into my life, so I haven't really formed any instincts on how to care for them in terms of affection.

My SO just tells me Apone doesn't need much and that the canned dog food works great because it's made for omnivores, but I'd like to attempt to be a better owner at least.

Do you have any book/reading recommendations?
>>
Switch to a better substrate like cypress mulch, coco fiber, or fir bark chips (fir only, the other bark types aren't safe). More decor. More hides.

Regarding diet, lighting, and everything else read this:

http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Care-Sheets/Lizards/Blue-Tongue-Skink/

and this:

http://bluetongueskinks.net/care.htm
>>
>>2431678
Dog food is okay but it shouldn't be their only staple thing. You should give them a variety of things, for example for one meal you might give minced beef, sweet potato (mashed with nothing added) and dandelion greens. They're omnivores so you can get creative, just make sure to look up stuff since a few things are toxic to them still.

Also like most burrowing reptiles the best substrate you can give them in topsoil mixed with play sand at a ratio of 80:20. It's great for digging.

And you should add more things to the enclosure, like more things to hide under, in and behind. Just some substrate and a single hide isn't enough.
>>
File: PtGr2oC.jpg (444KB, 2592x1552px) Image search: [Google]
PtGr2oC.jpg
444KB, 2592x1552px
>>2431659
>>2432059
If you can get the enclosure to look more like this it will enrich their life a lot more.
>>
>I hold Apone/give him ear rubs
they hate that. eye closing and winking is a sign of annoyance or stress in lizards
>>
>>2432060
>tiny ass water dish
>>
>>2431659
The slink is not a dog or a human. It does not derive pleasure from a special sunbathing view and it does not need or want your affection.

As others have said the best you can do for it is provide it the best possible enclosure and diet, and keep handling to a minimum so as to not stress the animal umnecessarily
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.