[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are Animal Rescues/Shelters so Terrible to adopt from?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: 1446602908032.jpg (15KB, 704x708px) Image search: [Google]
1446602908032.jpg
15KB, 704x708px
Why are animal rescues and even some shelters are so shit? Why is it they are run by people with zero people/customer service skill whatsoever? I don't want to say all animal rescue people are nuts. But the same patterns repeat themselves. They are always histrionics, have a martyr complex and it's always the same bleeding heart story about they saved some animal from (x) ABUSIVE SITUATION, when 90% of the time it was a stray picked up or a shelter animal up for euthanasia because it has an expensive medical issue that honestly isn't worth the effort to save. Above all they are extremely possessive of their animals to the point you can apply and basicaly get told to fuck

30 page applications, wanting to see my home deed (I live in a fucking Co-Op) and even talk to my employers/reference (Wtf), plus home visits. I was literally turned down from adopting a fucking kitten because I work full time? How the fuck are you supposed to care for an animal and pay their $200 adoption fee if you aren't employed? Why would anyone want to go through this, and then be surprised no one is adopting from shelters.

Anyway I was tired of dealing with the bullshit the shelter was putting me through so I got a kitten from craigslist. Its fucked up when these organizations keep spouting the same bullshit to adopt when it is literally easier to adopt a child then a cat.

I hear the same old pleas for adopting because of shelter overcrowding it just makes me want to gag.
>>
>>2430897
>it is literally easier to adopt a child

It really isn't.
>>
>>2430901
I beg to differ, becoming a foster care or even a legal custodian parent in this day and age is easier then adopting a dog from a rescue. Social workers and the law (and unfortunately sometimes to the detriment of the child) give you literally every leeway to hold custody so the state can do whatever it can to not take on a ward.

Some of these dog rescues will still hold title to the animal. Why the fuck would I adopt from a rescue when they could (and have in certain instances) legally take your pet away because some fat SJW shelter worker thought your political views count as animal abuse.
>>
>>2430914
That's different from adopting a child you retard.
>>
All rescues are different and the ones that make it exceedingly difficult to adopt are the ones that can afford to.

There will be other rescues or shelters that won't be able to afford to be so choosy with their adopters, but they won't have as cute animals. That's the trade off.
>>
>>2430930
I get that the better off rescues can be picky. Ironically its the rescues with dogs/cats that have obvious health and behavioral problems that are the worst to deal with.

It's just bullshit because there's all this propaganda about adopting yet they don't mention the amount of bullshit an adopter will have to go thru.
>>
>>2430956
>all this propaganda about adopting yet they don't mention the amount of bullshit an adopter will have to go thru.

look, what you talked about isn't really bullshit except for the house inspection and talking to your employers, and even then I can see some cases where that would be a good idea. you were turned down for adopting a kitten? boo hoo hoo. if you had adopted a cat and worked full-time, they probably wouldn't have said no. you SHOULDN'T have a baby animal when you work full time because they need more care when they're young, but you got one anyway.

for someone who bitches so much about the song and dance rescues do about adopting an animal in need, you sure ignored it well enough to buy a kitten from a shitty BYB, so what's your problem?
>>
File: trumpbird2.png (67KB, 200x144px) Image search: [Google]
trumpbird2.png
67KB, 200x144px
>>2430930
>they won't have as cute animals
What kind of magical thinking is that? Just because they make it harder doesn't mean that they offer better quality you fucking moron.
>>
>>2430971
no, but it does mean that in addition to having the leeway to screen out all but the most dedicated adopters, they also will choose the most lucrative animals to rescue. they'll drive to oklahoma and pick up a litter of golden-collie-husky puppies from a kill shelter but will ignore the 100 gremlin-looking chihuahas or pit bulls and older, uglier, black dogs because the puppies will all get adopted whereas the other dogs will just sit in the foster homes forever.

the choosier rescues can afford to be choosy because no matter how many people like OP throw a temper tantrum about strict home visits, there'll always be someone who will jump through all the hoops to take home a fluffy teddy bear pup and still feel good about themselves after passing over dogs that had no chance of being adopted.
>>
>>2430897
My spouse and I adopted a kitten about a month ago and it was the easiest thing ever, albeit we live in California where there's an excess of strays.

It was $5 and included neutering (with pain medication), vaccines, and a voucher for one free animal hospital visit. The only downside was that the cat came home with an URI, however that cleared up a week later after we brought him to the closest animal hospital for antibiotics.
>>
>>2430897
Because place like the ASPCA propagate propitbull propoganda which is harmful to decent dogs
>>
>>2430897
Just go to petart and buy a fucking hamster, 2 minutes to fill out the form, 5 minutes in line and 12$. Done, or get a net and snag some random cat
>>
It sounds like you tried literally ONE shelter. Way to make a completely fucking retarded assumption of all shelters based on only your one experience and nobody else's. Definitely not denying that there are some fucking whack jobs, but that's anywhere in any field. Keep in mind rescues need a lot of help for the ridiculous amount of animals that niggers and ignorant people put out irresponsibly. Also, a lot of people rescuing are fucking psycho or crazies at times. Some rescues are just trying to do everything they can to prevent animals from coming back to the shelter or ending up on Craigslist after being adopted with someone who ends up not having a yard or not wanting to spend with time with them, trying to get their money back. It's sad to see that shit after trusting someone. It's also sad to see that you wouldn't think logically about dumb shit like this.

That being said, most of my experiences have been with caring, realistic shelters save for the one I dealt with the year I moved to the US. They wanted a marriage license from my then bf so if we separated the dog wouldn't end up homeless again. What they didn't know it's that I'd rather get into a knife fight with my future ex over a dog than give my doggo up. Also, they also wanted my four fucking roommates to be present for the home visit. Impossible for us. They didn't understand the concept of people working two jobs, but that there would literally be 2+ people with the pup at all times. 5 people loving on one pooch. We went to another shelter, left with the happiest fucking dog.

tl;dr OP is a damn fag
>>
Shelter employee here, feel free to ask me questions. I worked a bit in everything besides actually cutting animal open and giving rabies shots.

>>2430897
>Run by people with 0 skills
The vast majority of animal shelters are not for profit. This will generally mean they don't have the excess money to hire employees and give them raises. So you have minimum wage employees working a mentally, physically and emotionally draining job that's a dead end. The only people that stay in this position are people who can't get jobs elsewhere, like drug addicts or criminals, and people who are a little bit crazy about animals. Anyone decent will find a better job after a while.

Some people are very paranoid who they adopt out to and I don't blame them. I've adopted dogs out to what I thought was wonderful families only to have the dogs come back that were lit on fire, nailed to trees, shot at etc. It makes you feel extremely guilty knowing you willing let a dog go to people that would do that, and they always seem like nice families. That sort of shit keeps you up at night.

However we have what is called an open adoption, meaning we don't turn people down just because they checked off that they live in an apartment or something. BUT we do sit down and have a conversation with adopters, which I have honestly heard Even more complaints about. You may want to look into open adoption instead. All we require is a photo ID to adopt, and half of our adopters still bitch about it.

>Easier to adopt a child
Kek no it's not. Try to adopt a child and you will be denied just for your gender.

I can't really answer anything else because it's all anecdotal. Give me your city OP and I can find you a shelter that doesn't do home checks, but be prepared to show photo ID and fill out a 2 page application.
>>
>>2431459

I dont know much about dogs.
My friend however adopted a dog, which came from abusive enviroment. I think he was asked to help with the dog or something, I'm not quite sure, but he decided to keep the dog.
>He is really experienced with dogs and training them
a mixed breed pointer. black/gray, magnificent hair around the snout, looks really handsome. Around one year old.

He wont let me near the dog, says I could loose a finger or worse.
If the dog is that dangerous, can it be "rehabilitated" and how can my friend pet it, but I cant?
Is there some way I could help my friend to help the dog?
>>
>>2430956
No shit the rescues with higher maintenance animals are going to screen their adopters harder. Does that really not make sense for you? The animals are harder to handle so they want to make sure the adopters can handle it and not give up in 2 weeks.

Like others said, not all shelters make you go through all of what OP stated but they do have to do some form of inspection on adopters, it's a humane society after all they can't be adopting out to people who are not humane.

>>2430971
Cute is subjective but rescues can pick and choose what animals they get in. For instance breed specific rescues. They can decide to only take in Australian Cattle Dogs and refuse Everything else. So if you're looking for Australian cattle dogs, you'd be more likely to find one in a breed specific rescue than a shelter. There are many rescues that will only take in puppies or specific breeds.

Also, literally anyone can call themselves a rescue. Keep that in mind. There is not requirements and no paper work needed.
>>
>>2431464
I do believe that with the right handler and training, any dog can be rehabilitated. It's a matter of finding someone that can do it, which the world is pretty low on. I am unsure of what's wrong with this dog, but it could d that it is stranger aggressive or very fearful of new situations. I imagine your friend went through hell just to gain that dog's trust. For you to wander in and go right to petting may not just result in bodily harm but could actually revert his training. Believe it or not dogs from iffy situations can be scared very easily and it's best to have them on a very solid schedule so they can build confidence from knowing what's going to happen when, and that schedule generally means the same handlers at the same times. You could ask him if you could help at all, but he may want someone dog savvy that understands dog body language. He might want your assistance at some point to help the dog with stranger aggression but that may be a bit further down the road.
>>
>>2431468
The dog came from a family where it was beat and malnourished.

These days it wont leave my friend alone in any situation, and gets anxious when he is not near her. Even whimpering outside of the bathroom door when he goes to toilet.

She seems really nervous of strangers, and is visibly fearful of new places and people.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.