[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Deterring cats

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 14

File: catbbq.jpg (61KB, 590x439px) Image search: [Google]
catbbq.jpg
61KB, 590x439px
Neighborhood cats keep pissing on my BBQ outside. Short of shooting them, which would have to be done late late at night, and bringing grill into house when done with, what's my options?
Spray?
Rub?
>>
>>2430457

just leave the grill hot dipshit
>>
They piss on the sides where it doesn't get hot.
>>
>>2430457
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIbkLjjlMV8
>>
>>2430472
Interesting but little too time consuming. I'd rather just shoot them, but one of them perhaps could be my wife's cat doing it. That's why I was looking at a spray or something.
>>
>>2430479
sadly sprays never really work, especially once the cat has claimed that area as part of it's territory to be marked.utting outright fear of the area into the cat is more effective. He made a followup video showing that eventually the cats did return and he had to up the ante with a giant PVC pipe party popper. it was far more effective at getting them to stay away after the initial scare rather then repeat visits in the night to get the message. Took like 2 months for the cats to return.
>>
>>2430483
It seems this is the only place they do this. I took the grill apart a month ago and slathered on 3 thick coats of oil based paint. Didn't help.
Also I don't want to be like the guy in the video and realize that they are a 100 cats in my area.
>>
>>2430457
>Neighborhood cats

Livetrap. Catch the cats. Take them to animal control. Repeat until there's no cats. Cats with tags with owner names and contact info will get returned via animal control, so don't do that yourself. They are normally charged a fee. Repeat that and they will start keeping their cats indoors. The rest won't be coming back.

One year, I took over 50 cats in to animal control. I repeat as needed every year, but there's only like 1-4 cats a year now. I even have my property fenced off with welded wire fencing that's 6 feet high and nothing of mine gets fed outside.
>>
>>2430694
nice man. I knew people had success with wild cats and traps but didn't realize that owners actually get charged a fee, though it makes sense. That is one hell of an incentive for an owner to realize their precious little mister fuzzball ain't so precious.
>>
>>2430483
I suppose you could hook party poppers with pull string ignition to very tense tripwires.
Is that what happened?
>>
>>2430705
>owners actually get charged a fee

I suppose it depends on the policy of the animal control place. Typically, the cats are tested for HIV and another disease. If they fail they are killed on the spot. If they pass they get put into rehabilitation for adoption with their pics online. At least that happens here.
>>
secure a waterproof tarp around it.
>>
>>2430457
Get a dog
Preferably a big protective one like a Rottweiler
>>
Go buy a cheap low power electric fence controller like for sheep or rabbits. Wire it to the grill. Turn it on when you are not using the grill. The cats will learn very quickly to leave the grill alone. And if you're concerned about animal cruelty I've seen cats walk into cattle fences and be fine, if scared shitless.
>>
File: voltage.jpg (12KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
voltage.jpg
12KB, 275x183px
grills are made of metal, right?
>>
>>2430834
>>2430833
That won't work. Cat piss isn't a steady stream. It is more like a sprayed mist with lots of big drops. Plus, they need to be grounded properly for it to work. If OP's BBQ is on a wood deck it won't work right.
>>
>>2430845
If a cat is pissing on it a cat is rubbing up against it. It's not pissing on it because it has to piss, it's pissing on it to mark territory. It's also going to coming in physical contact with it to rub it's scent glands near where it's pissing.

Also, ground straps are not only not hard to make if needed but the ground path for most electric fences is the ground plug on the power cord itself. If it's a solar model sure it'll need a separate ground but if not it completes the circuit through the outlet. That's how all electric devices that plug into a wall work.
>>
cute cat faggot
>>
File: brando-inerf-640x420.jpg (35KB, 640x420px) Image search: [Google]
brando-inerf-640x420.jpg
35KB, 640x420px
>>
Catch and neuter them, you should have a local group that neuters stray cats en masse for dirt cheap as a way to train future vets. They won't spray without balls.
>>
>>2430694

this, and then relocated the cat at the bottom of a lake
>>
>>2430457
Shoot them. It's fun and does nature a service.
>>
I don't know about y'all, but if OP shot my cat, I'd shoot him.
>>
>>2430977
try keeping your cat from pissing on your neighbor's property and it will probably be safe
>>
>>2430900
How does neutering them stop other cats coming to his yard and pissing on his bbq?
>>
>>2430457
I feel you, m8

The neighbour cats pidd on my BBQ too, they also shit in my yard, in my vegetable bed and in front of my fucking door. They also kill the fish in my Pond and kill the snakes in my garden. The stupid fuckers also leave dead animals everywhere... they come at night, when my dog is inside.

The same cats also destroyed my neighbours pool and shit in his kid´s sandbox (they ripped the tarp, which covered the sandbox apart)

My property is completely fenced in, but that doesn´t stop the fucking creatures

Would also like to know how to deter them. I would like them to never come back. I swore myself, if they ever killl on of my gar, I´ll just kill all of them
I tried so many things, powders, Ultrasound, ...

The fucking neigbours say it´s my fault
>Why do you have expensive fish your pond?
>Well, I can´t keep them inside
>It wasn´t my cat
>What do you want me to do? Shoot my cat?

Why are catfags so ignorant and retarded?
>>
>>2431003
forgot to mention that every reptile is protected where I live.
I find about ten dead snakes/lizards a week in my garden, head bitten off.. not even mentioning the many birds they kill and drop in my yard..
>>
>>2430985
oh no, a tiny bit of piss, what a tragedy!

pussy-ass bitch.
>>
>>2430859
I can hold on to my electric fences without worry, so long as I'm not grounded. That's both solar and wall plugin.
>>
File: angry pepe.jpg (8KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
angry pepe.jpg
8KB, 225x225px
Behead those who insult cats
>>
>>2431003
Like suggested, live trap them and call animal control immediately. If your neighbor notices their cat is trapped ignore their demands to release them and proceed with calling animal control. Animal control will even provide you traps for free as this is the way they want things handled.
>>
>>2430725
nah, he thought the poppers were too gentle so he built a popper out of PVC.
>>
Leave out fish laced with ground up Tylenol pills

It will be fatal to cats while not harming beneficial/innocent animals!
>>
>>2430457
Catch it with a trap
While in the trap get the shower ready
Drown them
Let them dry
Leave them outside
Pretend you don't know wtf happened
You can also use meat and rat poison
>>
>>2431003
Not defending them, those fucks are irresponsible.

I'm a catfag and I keep my cat indoors since it's the most responsible thing to do. Keeping your cat outdoors is just begging for something bad to happen to them.

Not only that, but I know if my little fucker wasn't lazing about indoors, she'd be tearing shit up outside. Let her fuck up my own shit and not someone else's stuff.

I have a neighbor who takes care of shelter animals and those cats are all neutered and spayed so they don't really act territorial, just sit in the sun all day without any balls or ovaries now. There's one that gets into fights with neighboring street cats and occasionally hunts down a rabbit or possum, but that's just less animals trying to eat my plants and keeps shitty territorial cats out of my property and freaking my cat out. Crazy maine coon.

That said, have you tried just planting catnip in the owner's yard so the entire neighborhood cat population just hangs out and shits in his yard? Grown catnip would make it a fucking cat party if they're social enough to tolerate being around each other and piss and shit everywhere near it. When he comes crying that you planted catnip in his yard you can feign ignorance and throw the fact his cats pissed all over your stuff and shit all over your property.

>>2431041
Probably this too, since spaying and neutering cats tends to tone down their territorial tendencies. Neighbors can't do shit either since you're being a responsible person doing what is probably county/municipality law (Look it up so you can be sure so you can throw it in their face so you can cite it most cities should have one if you live around one for the sake of encouraging animal control). Killing the animal will just make passive aggressive neighbors.
>>
OP here.

BBQ stays on concrete. No wood decking. Hooking up electric though is out of question. Too much work.

My grill is deteriorating. What used to be a solid metal side now has holes through it.

Leaving fish laced or any food laced with anything is a no go since my wife's cats prowl the same area.

I have trapped one in my garage since I have a cat door that can be locked either way i.e. only can come in and not out. I beat the shit out of it with a broom. 3 days later it's back in garage eating my cats food.

Unless I can localize such as spray, seems like wasting effort here. Side note, I got our cats to stop scratching at my door by stapling a mouse sticky trap to scratch marks. They got stuck 1 time and haven't done it in past 2 years since we moved.
>>
>>2431017
Guessing you never dealt with this problem...
>>
>>2431017
How do you hold your dick to pee with all these edges?
>>
>>2430945
It also get's you a hefty fine when the cat runs off with a bullet registered to you is in it's leg or chest lying on the side of the road. Don't be dumb anon just squirt it with water.
>>
>>2431256
cats are small game, you could handle them with a pellet from an air rifle no problem
>>
File: ................jpg (47KB, 615x410px) Image search: [Google]
................jpg
47KB, 615x410px
>>2431256
>bullet registered to you
>>
File: Another solution.jpg (169KB, 1254x678px) Image search: [Google]
Another solution.jpg
169KB, 1254x678px
>>2430457
>>
>>2431243
>my wife's cats prowl the same area
Why don't you keep your own cats indoors? They're probably just as much of a nuisance to the rest of the neighbourhood as those other cats are to you.
>>
>>2431287
I don't keep my wife's cats inside cause they are assholes.
>>
>>2431342
anon...
>>
File: . . ..png (127KB, 325x325px) Image search: [Google]
. . ..png
127KB, 325x325px
>>2431342
>>
File: shrewdcat.jpg (3KB, 125x121px) Image search: [Google]
shrewdcat.jpg
3KB, 125x121px
>>2430457
>all these psychopaths trying to justify keeping cats inside all their lives and killing outside cats.
>>
File: 1486735565721.jpg (76KB, 500x704px) Image search: [Google]
1486735565721.jpg
76KB, 500x704px
>>2431721
>all these lazy, irresponsible owners trying to justify the inconvenience of others with their shitbeast
>>
>>2430457
poke them with a stick
>>
File: 1499630560971.jpg (24KB, 540x324px) Image search: [Google]
1499630560971.jpg
24KB, 540x324px
>>2431256
>mfw forgot to register my bullets
>>
>>2431721
>caring about the ecosystem makes you a psychopath

This is the selfishness of the average cat owner everyone
>>
File: what.jpg (18KB, 162x152px) Image search: [Google]
what.jpg
18KB, 162x152px
>>2431783
>>2431743
Look at them try to justify being a monster with some fact.
>>
>>2430806
>HIV
My local shelter doesn't euthanize FIV positive cats. It's no where near as severe as HIV. May be you are thinking of the feline leukemia virus (FeLV)? Those are the ones that are euthanized here.
>>
>>2431796
Look at this monster, failing to justify the neglected animal roaming off of their property.
>>
>>2430457
Is it possible to buy urine of some sort of predator? Like coyote piss?
>>
>>2430457
put a cover on you grill or get rid of it since you're probably a fat fuck and shouldn't be eating so much meat anyway
>>
>>2431812
>eating red meat is wrong
>grills are only used for red meat and nothing else
I hope someone eats your cat
>>
cats aren't really poop machines ime; my cat comes in specifically to use the litter box all the time. plus their poops are smaller than geese's, which are all over everywhere, and most cats try to bury them. my cat sticks around the house and worst thing she's done that i'm aware of is kill a mouse.

if there's some un-neutered cat pissing on your bbq i totally support kicking it or leaving the grill on. if a cat killed your exotic fish and was on your property i would definitely beat its ass, if it came by to torment your pets and kill endangered animals i see nothing wrong with killing it as long as you do it when the cat is on your property.
>>
>>2431812
I do put a cover on it. The cover doesn't go all the way to the ground. It ties up under the "wings" of the grill.

Also, I mainly use grill for bbq chickens.
>>
>>2431506
It's very true. Had to replace carpet in bedroom already cause the can smell previous owners cats that pissed there before.

I don't have a problem with animals, I just find cats pretty much useless. They are piss ant, tempered, hairy, eating too much food to barf, scratch everything in site bastards most of the time.
>>
>>2430457
Ground glass in a can of tuna. You're welcome
>>
>>2431287
Also I have 2 young kids of which the one cat has already swipped at...
>>
>>2431124
CATS WILL APPROACH/SNIFF OUT/
ATTRACTION TO COOKED MEAT.
It's like crack to a crack whore, they come from everywhere, even more so than if they hear a can machine opener.

If you can, get what amounts to a giant zip-lock bag and zip-lock your grill. Will trap/prevent smell attracting those piss machines, also protect from piss/elements.
>>
>>2431827
>>2431823
i use cheap aerosol deodorant to deter cats from peeing on my back door, works like a charm, just spray it around the porch and they never even come onto the porch, using Brut at the moment
>>
You should shoot heroin until you get addicted and sell the BBQ for more heroin money.
>>
>>2431839
This, or you can use the cat stench as a cover for making meth.
>>
>>2431830
Your wife's cats would also attract more cats
>>
>>2430457
>pissing on grill
I'd shoot them, but if that's too hard for you, you could live trap them.
>>
File: 1tigersoup.jpg (73KB, 599x449px) Image search: [Google]
1tigersoup.jpg
73KB, 599x449px
Somehow acquire tiger or lion piss and spray it to your yard it. I've heard it works as repellent because cats are afraid of bigger predators. Also "Tiger urine smells like popcorn" so that is a bonus.

Or put electric fence around your yard
>>
>>2431831
>If you can, get what amounts to a giant zip-lock bag and zip-lock your grill.
I feel sorry for people who come to this board for actual advice
>>
>>2431796
Ok.

Here's my justification.

https://www.livescience.com/26670-cats-kill-billions-animals.html

http://www.npr.org/2013/01/29/170588511/killer-kitties-cats-kill-billions-every-year

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/cats-kill-billions-animals-annually-study-finds/story?id=18357853

http://www.businessinsider.com/cats-kill-billions-of-birds-and-mammals-each-year-2014-12

Every outdoor cat I kill saves hundreds of lives in the long run. I am an environmentalist first and foremost.
>>
>>2430900
If a cat has started spraying, neutering them won't make them stop. I've seen many many cats spray after being neutered.its very common. There is a small chance they may stop, but it's not likely.
>>
Why can't most cat owners just train their cats to not leave the yard? It's fucking easy as hell.
>>
>>2432169
Because most cat owners are lazy and irresponsible.
>>
>>2432169
Because cat owners are lazy, selfish, subhuman pricks. Not a single one is viable as a human being and should have been aborted in the womb.

Prove me wrong.
>>
>>2430457
Ok here is my areas secret way to get rid of all strays, and make them stop pissing on your stuff.

>1. You have to invest large amounts of cash to finding a first generation Chinese family with broken English and heavy accent.
>2. Have them open a restaurant
>3. Wait 1-2 days

Within the time frame every stray will magically disappear and the local Chinese restaurant you established will have amazing mar far "chicken"
>>
>>2432172
Because not all cat owners keep half feral strays as pets outside?
>>
>>2432175
>not all of us fly planes into buildings #petownershipofpeace

A community only is as its weakest link.
>>
>>2431783
muh birds
>>
>>2430457
Have you thought about just putting a grill cover over it?
>>
>>2431342
>>2431342
>>2431830
>that awkward moment where the pot spent the whole thread calling the kettle a nigger
>>
>>2430457
Grill well, kitter
>>
>>2432341
Not an argument
>>
>>2432341
muh kitty dindu nuffin, circle of life xD. fuck those predators that mess with my kitty tho
>>
>>2432180
then all humanity is shit
>>
>>2432341
Why does your cat get to live and "muh birds" don't?
Why can't cat owners just take responsibility for their pets and fix the source of the problem?
>>
>>2430457
capture it and torture it
>>
>>2431017
then you better not be mad when i piss all over your stuff
>>
>>2431035
behead those who value other species above their own
>>
Catch the cat, then piss on it.
>>
File: 1489577494248.png (146KB, 223x223px) Image search: [Google]
1489577494248.png
146KB, 223x223px
>>2431256
>bullet registered to you
Thread posts: 91
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.