[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ethics of keeping animals

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: lap warmers.jpg (67KB, 564x752px) Image search: [Google]
lap warmers.jpg
67KB, 564x752px
Have you ever consideredt it? I would like a pet, but these thoughts keep me from adopting something down from the shelter.

>birds are sad in cages
>hairless/non-allergenic cats get chilly in this climate
>dogs need more room (I live in shared flat)
>bunnies are happier munching on real grass outside
>>
>>2429190
So don't shut it away in a cage?
So don't get a hairless cat?
So don't get a dog?
My old rabbit would always try to come inside and stay there, but I guess it depends.
>>
>>2429204
Thinking like this limits me to goldfish or bugs, and they're not that cuddly.
>>
>>2429207
Or like.. a regular cat? Pretty much the pet for your situation. Unless you're allergic, in which case there are other breeds that have fur that are hypoallergenic. Especially if you just make a point to vacuum often.

As for your birds point, I too hate the idea of birds being kept as pets. I suppose if the owner is VERY attentive, keeps the bird(s) out of the cages all the time and supervises it and really only puts it in at night, that's not so bad. But every fuckin bird I've seen in captivity is in a tiny cage, few/no toys (not that it makes it better), is never let out, and bites when handled and is very loud. They just kinda make shitty pets unless you do a lot to make them happy, but then again I guess that's any pet
>>
>>2429213
I've had long-haired cats before and don't think I can deal with shedding anymore.
>>
>>2429190
that's a very limited selection, there's lots and lots and lots of pets other than the ones you listed that are perfectly fine in captivity

>bunnies are happier munching on real grass outside
yeah, they're really happy with the constant threat of predators, internal and external parasites, constantly changing and unfavorable weather conditions, competition from other bunnies, mating stress and uncertain food supply
>>
Can hairless cats wear sweaters?
>>
File: Angry_Sphynx.jpg (84KB, 447x466px) Image search: [Google]
Angry_Sphynx.jpg
84KB, 447x466px
>>2429221
Can and want to are two different things
>>
>>2429219
Those are just the ones I have considered up to now.

And with rabbits I was thinking more of pic related.
>>
>>2429217
So don't get a long haired cat? They shed still but yeah it's an option
>>
>>2429238
Allergies man, can't risk it.
>>
>dogs need more room (I live in shared flat)
dogs are fine in a small area if you get them enough exercise outside.
>>
>>2429241
There are a lot of short hair breeds that are hypoallergenic.
>>
File: birdcage1.jpg (114KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
birdcage1.jpg
114KB, 600x800px
>birds are sad in cages
Only if you get a single bird and keep it in a shitty small cage without much to do in there, and never let it out. You think these niggas are sad in their birdy funland?
>>
>>2429249
It's hit and miss which are hypoallergenic and not. My flatmate is the one with allergies and not enthusiastic experimenting with different cats.
>>
>>2429248
Even one room?
>>
>birds are sad in cages
My birds both liked their cages and went back to them on their own will. Of course anyone who gets a bird should be letting it out, if its not tame then it shouldn't be a pet.

No opinion on shitty mammals
>>
I consider pet keeping to be a contract with the aminal in question in that in exchange for my keeping it, i am obligated to provide best possible captive conditions, diet, and medical care if necessary for the duration of its life.

I only keep reptiles as pets and so that equates to as large an enclosure as they need to provide plenty of exercise and stimulation (with a rotation of various hides and decor and so on), high quality food etc. I judge size of enclosure needed based initially on recommended care requirements, then will expand if the individual reptile's behaviour indicates they would benefit and appreciate expanded digs. I build the tanks myself so it's no trouble to make them however large they need to be.
>>
>>2429190
>If have time for dog or money to pay for walkers, get toy breed dog
>If not, get reptile/rodent/fish

Highly recommend domesticated rats. I'm a dogfag myself, but I've met a few in my life. You can train them to do tricks, they're affectionate, and probably other things.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.