[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Emotional Support Animal

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_20161008_153050.jpg (2MB, 3024x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161008_153050.jpg
2MB, 3024x3024px
So, my apartment complex doesn't allow pets and so I got a cat and I got him registered as an emotional support animal on some website and I was seeking some advice on how to approach my apartment complex. He has a certificate and an ID tag, I was hoping I wouldn't need a doctors note. I have read so much stuff back and forth about whether or not they can require a doctor's note and what they can legally say and ask. I just want to know what to expect and what the right thing to say would be. I live in Florida btw. Pic related is aformentioned cat.
>>
File: IMG_0809.jpg (150KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0809.jpg
150KB, 1080x1920px
>>2429045
Cute cat.
Here's my dog with autism
>>
>>2429045
Do you actually need the cat for emotional support?

If not, good luck with that apartment search

If yes, then I wish you good luck finding a new apartment

Seriously though if you want to live somewhere and rent you have to make sacrifices, which can include no pets. My advice would be to try and follow the rules and not try to break them, they don't need to rent to you and if you already signed a lease it's easier for them to get rid of you then let you have a cat. Considering you knew pets weren't allowed.

You will need a signed note from your therapist, because you have a therapy animal. Which means you have to pay hundreds of dollars pretending you have emotional problems which go on your records. Not a smart idea.

Legally they can ask the following:

Do you have a pet in the apartment?
You answer yes, they kick you out.

No pet means no pet, you can't break the rules because you want a pet. Next time ask the landlord before you do something that will make you homeless.

Especially by lying about it being an emotional support animal. There are people who need therapy animals, and you shit all over that by lying so you can break the rules.

That's it.

I'm done.
>>
>>2429045
I live in Florida as well. They allow cats so I haven't had to go through with this. But the complex is allowed to ask for proof that you need one but from my experience they just ask for proof that the animal IS certified to be a support animal, not that you need one. Here is a video of my cat!
https://youtu.be/91OilcS1_bE
>>
>>2429065
On the flip side, op, this guy is being unnecessarily dramatic. You probably won't have to go to a therapist over a course of time, just once. Go to a counselor instead. Say your parent's/roommate's dog helped you with your stress and now that you've moved out you want one of your own.

You did do things completely out of the wrong order though. The order should have been to go see a doctor, tell your landlord you're getting the pet (they cant kick you out if YOU need the pet, doesn't matter if the pet is certified without that), and then go get the pet. If your landlord finds out you have a pet they can kick you out right now so get your shit in order.

As long as the cat is well behaved and you treat it and the living space right, imo theres nothing wrong with it
>>
>>2429070
In the US, there is no legal requirement for certification nor is there a recognized certification agency. Buying a certification for a therapy pet online is just falling for a scam.
>>
Legally you have to let them know you have a registered service animal. And legally they CANNOT ask you why or what you have been diagnosed with that makes a service animal necessary. It's called HIPAA. You don't have to disclose medical info to anyone and they can't force you to disclose.
>>
cancerous. can't wait until they crack down on this therapy animal faggotry
>>
>>2429334
ESAs are not service animals, retard.
>>
Apartment manager here

You need a doctor's note, at least in my state

My sister's a doctor, they write these notes all the time for stupid ass reasons.

Also I hate you fucking cunts who abuse this retarded sense of disability. I've got a fucking "disabled" person with two goddamn "therapy" pit bulls and they've annihilated their apartment.
>>
>>2429371
It doesn't have to a therapist? Just a regular doctor is fine?
>>
>>2429385

IIRC it has to be a physician

Therapist notes don't count for anything
>>
>>2429371
>>2429385
>>2429389

Er to elaborate the doctor's note says you have to be disabled and that the service animal will benefit your wellbeing blah blah
>>
>>2429389
Cool thanks
>>
>>2429045
Cats dont feel love you fucking moron
>>
File: big boy.jpg (47KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
big boy.jpg
47KB, 1280x720px
>>2429045
Your cat is bear mode I think
>>
>>2429394
inb4 OP walks into the minute clinic and demands the doctor write his cat a note
>>
>>2429530

It'd probably work, it's not like they're giving you opiates or anything
>>
>>2429530
I'm that poster, not the op. Just in a similar boat
>>
In order to qualify for an ESA, you need to have a disability, not just a diagnosis or condition. The animal must directly help your disability (such as provide emotional support for anxiety), but doesn't need to be trained like service dogs are.

The law (Fair Housing Act, a federal law) does allow the apartment complex to require a doctor's letter stating that you have a disability and the animal helps with that disability, therefore is needed in your housing as a reasonable accommodation.

You need to make your request for the reasonable accommodation BEFORE you bring the animal into the apartment. Once your request is approved, then you can bring home an ESA.

If you are not disabled, usually by a mental illness, you do not qualify for an ESA. The fake registration and IDs you bought from a scam Web site don't mean a single thing and are not recognized under the laws, regardless of whether or not you have a disability.
>>
>>2430589

Are you a psychopath? OP'SMs cat may provide emotiinal sipport and its not your place and ESPECIALLY not the landlords place to judge... its 2017, "no pets" doesnt fly anymore because animals can be our family members and service workers
>>
>>2430724

It is called the law. The law is for people who have disabilities and states the requirements in order to have an ESA or service dog. Not 2017, the laws still apply.
>>
>>2431365

*It's 2017
>>
>>2429060
Lol
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.