[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the safest dog breed out there? Some would say Goldens,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 7

What is the safest dog breed out there?
Some would say Goldens, but they are known to tear children to shreds.
Weiner dogs? Chihuahuas? Poodles?
>>
>>2428226
Any dog, properly trained can be a good pet. Any untrained disobedient dog can be bad. Just do some research yourself,
Look at pictures online of what animal looks good to you, look up obedience training, etc.

I would be wary of poodles, doberman pinschers, and Rottweilers but even they can be good pets if their trained properly.

Except pit bulls, I have had one turn rogue one me for no reason scared me shitless, so the humane society took him off my hands.
>>
>>2428226
>Some would say Goldens, but they are known to tear children to shreds

wat
>>
>>2428226
If it has a mouth, it can bite.
>>
>>2428249
Just Google it, it's not super common but when it happens, it's horrible.
>>
>>2428226
I say Catahoula. That being said, I am biased af. All dogs can be great
>>
Any dog that isn't known to be aggressive, if given some training.
Retired racing greyhounds already come with training to be harmless, so there's that.
>>
>>2428226
Hungarian vizsla and Newfoundland
>>
>>2428226
Probably chihuahuas but only because they are literally the smallest dog breed.

Supposedly Greyhounds don't really have aggressive instincts (and in fact run away if they feel threatened in any way,) but they also have a high as shit prey drive, so idk
>>
>>2429549
chihuahuas bite more than any other dog. terrible, terrible recommendation

op's question is stupid and belies 0 experience with dogs in life. get a hamster.
>>
>>2429559
Gotta start somewhere, right?

Uh maybe Pugs? That being said there health a shit, so if possible a pug mixed with some other toy breed.
>>
>>2429576
>Uh maybe Pugs?

why do you hate both dogs and people? breeding pugs is unethical and in turn so is owning them

OP would be best served getting a regular-ass mutt.
>>
>>2429597
>Regular ass mutts

Nah those are known for being racist and eating babys, what's wrong with you.
>>
>>2428256
>Dog so nuts and full of baying energy that most breeders won't sell to anyone who doesn't own a farm
>Almost solely bred for their hunting drive X10
>Can look like actual hounds, pitbulls and basically anything in-between and still be considered a purebred since they have no breed standard

Do you even know what a catahoula is? I've only known hunting line ones myself but that is not a good old fashion home dog.
>>
>>2428273
My girl friend has a Vizsla and it's the sweetest dog in the world, just a big clown and adorable as fuck.
>>
>>2428226
The safest dog breed would be a tiny dog with a very brachy face, like a pug or shihzu. They are easy to kill, they are too small to do much damage, and their squashed faces give them a harder time biting on to something. That is of the 'safest' dogs though, these dogs will bite but I can't see them being able to do the same amount of damage as nearly any other dog.
>>
>>2429679
I have a bunch of the captain black bloodline. I knew the original breeder. He lost his fucking mind. They honestly are horrible up until about Year 2. They are a constant war about who is alpha. That being said, I have zero fear for anyone's safety with them. We had a liter of chihuahua puppies with them and they were so gentle.
>>
>>2428256
My dads got a Catahoula that just randomly walked to our front porch. After putting up fliers and shit with no one coming by for like 4 months he decided to adopt him. Anything advice wise for Catahoulas anon? He seems like a good dog
>>
>>2428249
It's not unheard of. You combine the perceived safety of a "family" dog like a lab or golden that are big and pretty powerful, plus kids that don't understand dog body language.

Lots of the time it's when these dogs are in stressful situations and the kids just don't understand the dog is stressed. Kid sees cute golden, golden is already in flight-or-fight mode, kid hugs golden, kid no longer has a face.

DESU the whole concept of a "safe" dog is why this shit happens.
>>
>>2429969
certainly not impossible, but there have been zero recorded fatal maulings by golden retrievers in the last 20 years (all the years that I've seen data for), and they're the 4th most popular breed
>>
>>2429979
considering how often they are a family pet, they are probably objectively the safest large dog breed
>>
>>2428256
Knew a catahoula that would bite hard without warning. Attacked random passerbys constantly. Nearly killed another dog. It was put down.
>>
>>2429932
Be firm in training. If you don't have firm rules he will push the limits as much as he can get away with. They are smart too, keep playing with him and keep him active or he will use that energy in potentially destructive ways
>>
>>2428226
Stupid question op any dog can be dangerous if you don't train it properly. Would agree that pits are just unpredictable
>>
File: IMG_0254.jpg (122KB, 736x844px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0254.jpg
122KB, 736x844px
Newfoundlands are really safe. Dogs 101 said they were the safest. I had one growing up and he was super sweet.
>>
File: 1920px-Ohle01.jpg (876KB, 1920x1564px) Image search: [Google]
1920px-Ohle01.jpg
876KB, 1920x1564px
>>2428273
>>2430090
i love seeing these guys out and about
like wtf where'd this fucking bear come from??
>>
File: samoyedsf4.jpg (27KB, 370x336px) Image search: [Google]
samoyedsf4.jpg
27KB, 370x336px
These happy, fluffy motherfuckers
>>
>>2429654
kek
>>
File: 1499168993503.png (83KB, 201x180px) Image search: [Google]
1499168993503.png
83KB, 201x180px
>>2429597
HE ASKED FOR THE SAFEST DOG

NOT DOG RECOMMENDATIONS

Yes I'm mad. I'm not recommending Pugs, only that they'd probably be the least likely to bite/easiest to kill/have an ineffective bite. I prefer medium sized mutts.
>>
>>2429969
>>2429984
Goldens are the safest large dog breed. I've owned German Shepherds and goldens and both are amazing breeds, while being very popular. However, despite how well trained I thought my shepherds were, one would lowkey growl if I'd put my face near his bone while he was chewing it. Another would fight with large dogs (pitbulls in particular) for no damn reason. Golden never growled at me, never fought with another dog, never even bore his teeth.

Sounds stupid, but I like the fact I can put my face in my dog's food bowl while he's eating and pretend to eat with him.
>>
>>2429979
>dogs are only dangerous if they have fatal maulings
Negro please
>>
>Bought a golden puppy
>trying to get them used to their crate
>even gave them a peanut butter Kong toy for getting in on her own and not rushing out
>it's been 45 minutes and the barking hasn't stopped
Xd
>>
>>2430113
these dogs are jerks
>>
>>2430145

>Sounds stupid, but I like the fact I can put my face in my dog's food bowl while he's eating and pretend to eat with him.

This. My golden doesn't even stop chewing if I touch him while eating. Plus he surrenders all of his bones, toys, food, etc without even putting up a fight. I'm not foolish enough to say he'd never bite anyone ever, but in the 3 years I've had him he hasn't shown a sign of aggression towards anybody.
>>
>>2429979
People who can afford Golden's are probably also smart enough to not leave them alone with young or retarded kids. Labradors on the other hand are much cheaper and have much more maulings and killings, but are not a more aggressive breed.
>>
>>2430101
There was a stray Newfie wandering around my neighborhood for a while.
Nobody wanted to catch it, because they're fuckin huge.
Turned out some old man like 5 miles away had been at the hospital and the dog just kool-aid manned its way through a screen door in search of food.
>>
>>2430145
You didn't build any trust with your dogs. Your post just bleeds ignorance in dog training.
>>
>>2430339
youre a jerks
>>
>>2430145
>Sounds stupid, but I like the fact I can put my face in my dog's food bowl while he's eating and pretend to eat with him.
that doesn't sound stupid, it sounds like you're a pervert
>>
>>2428226
safest dog is a dog where you know the parents and grandparents weren't human aggressive, that was socialized extensively during the critical window and beyond, and that you don't leave alone with kids. even a kind, sweet dog shouldn't be left alone with young kids.

example: my lab/border collie mix is sweet with kids, but kids dont have empathy and basic sense yet. so if they keep harassing my dog, she's gonna growl. stupid kid doesn't understand that growling means fuck off so if they keep harassing the dog, she's gonna bite. dog is just defending themselves. that's why you supervise and also never reprimand your dog for growling, because that means they will stop growling and go straight to biting.
>>
>>2430185
really makes u feel like an asshole huh
>>
>>2428226
>poodles
You what m8?
>>
File: enjoy-6-thek9harperlee.jpg (2MB, 2360x2284px) Image search: [Google]
enjoy-6-thek9harperlee.jpg
2MB, 2360x2284px
Chiuhahuas and Poodles won't kill you but they still are far more likely to bite you than a golden.

Golden's default mode is set to love everyone unconditionally 100% of the time and always be in a good mood. Unless you abuse it or get a mixed breed, it'll stay this way.

I've never heard of a non-abused pure breed golden "ripping a child to shreds"
>>
>>2430185
Mine did this too, it'll continue for several years. Goldens are nice as fuck but high-anxiety and easily frightened due to their timid/submissive personality.

My golden is 8 years old and is perfect after years of training. Do not use harsh training, it'll make it worse. Only positive reinforcement works
>>
>>2430145
This. As a child I would pull my goldens tail like an asshole and it just laid there and licked my hand. They will not be aggressive unless you physically abuse them or they're mixed with something else

Labs are nice but prone to more aggressive acts. A purebred golden, properly cared for, will NOT bite you unless it has a legitimate extremely rare mental problem
>>
German Shepherd
them kids gonna learn
>>
>>2430341
What a little bitch, if my dog sees you with anything thats "his" he'll charge you and start playing with you
>>
Really any unabused dog can be taught what it means to be gentle around even infant humans, but they need to demonstrate patience and dexterity before interacting with a real baby. Obviously some dogs are heavy and it might not be a good idea to let a child under 3 sleep with a big dog lest it rolls over and crushes or smacks the kid with it's paw. Also basically any dog can maim if they get your fingers or face.
>>
>>2431340
kek
does he also stick his runny nose in your face?
>>
>>2428247
Did you have your lightsaber on you?
>>
>>2430145
>However, despite how well trained I thought my shepherds were, one would lowkey growl if I'd put my face near his bone while he was chewing it.
I'd kick that dog's ass. Not physically, but I would train it to exhaustion until it knows that I can take its bone at any time.
>>
>>2428226
Chihuahas and poodles will fuck you up senpai
>>
File: shelton-kennels-shelties.jpg (102KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
shelton-kennels-shelties.jpg
102KB, 640x480px
>>2428226
Only own 2 sheltie before.
Good nature, smart, friendly to each other, racist toward nigger, will bark a lot if detect strangers near the house, but won't attack unless the stranger approach.
Not a big dog, but best lap size dog.
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.