[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why aren't you out fighting the war against feral pigs?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 7

File: IMG_3025.jpg (2MB, 2532x1844px)
IMG_3025.jpg
2MB, 2532x1844px
Why aren't you out fighting the war against feral pigs?
>>
Mmmmm... Wild pork....
>>
Because they haven't made it this far north yet.
>>
>>2428188
I was debating taking dogs from the shelter and teaching some old mongrels new tricks to make them boar hunters. But I'm seriously conflicted on the idea. On one hand I'm saving dogs that would be euthanized (I plan on taking undesirable dogs so long as they have drive) and I would be helping indirectly get rid of feral hogs. However, there is a decent chance the dogs could get severely hurt and I highly doubt shelters would want me to adopt their dogs just to put them in danger and inhumanely kill an intelligent animal
>>
>>2428188
Because according to /an/ cats are the real threat
>>
>>2428215
t. butthurt catfag
Of course /an/ can be cuntish at times, but if you can't admit that stray and feral cats cause problems in the environment then you are just in denial.
>>
>>2428213
Isn't it better for them to die (although painfully) performing what is, to them, a very enjoyable/fulfilling task than to sit in a shelter waiting to be euthanized?
If you put it that way they shouldn't have a problem.
>>
>>2428220
Oh, no I feral and stray cats, ferals are always shitting in my yard and im sick of this orange Tom I can never get rid of.

Im just annoyed that most threads are hating owners of cats, yelling at cats who are outside, and saying they don't deserve to be outside no matter where you live.
>>
>>2428215
Well pigs are qt, cats aren't.
>>
>>2428223
Depends who you ask, some people will cry and piss and moan over it.

But the others will see it as giving a condemned dog a last chance at glory.

>>2428188
Because I luckily don't live in a pig infested area.
>>
>>2428188
Because there aren't feral pigs in my area, or my state.
>>
>>2428228
I stand corrected
>>
>>2428230
>Well pigs are qt

Kinda impressed at how well trotters can hit the keys
>>
Nuggets deal with hogs well. What is the worst state for hogs. We will try to get nuggetfest there
>>
>>2428262
>trotters
I love this board. Everywhere else in the world people think cows have hooves and pigs have "toes"
I mean sure they have toes but I mean... nm
>>
>>2428274
Where in the world have you been visiting? Everyone here gets quizzed on animal feet and for every question they get wrong, they die.
>>
Can you eat them after or do they have diseases and shit?
>>
>>2428188
Im waiting on my form 4 so a can finish my 300 blackout build.
>>
I read something about how in 50 years these will be literally everywhere or something like that. At least I got to enjoy nature while it lasted
>>
>>2428310
All hogs have parasites, but for the most part yes, feral hog is safe for consumption.
>>
>>2428188
Didn't know there was a war against feral pigs. Who declared it, and why?
>>
>>2428486
I knew there was but I never see anyone talking about them nor see them despite they are apparently a problem here and I'm a big hiker.

I'm assuming that it's such a common knowledge since they've been a problem for ages so between hunters there's nothing let to talk about it unless you bag a huge boar or something. Or it's not as bad as it's made out to be.
>>
>>2428223
>>2428232

Some people in animal welfare would rather they die a humane death in a scary setting rather than a painful death in a fun setting. But if I can still obtain them by saying they will be hunting companions I would probably still do it... Is hunting companion too close to a lie though? I imagine a dog sleeping next to you while you scope the place out. I'm only really worried about it because I used to have a job that included adopting dogs out, and that was the shittiest part of the job due to people adopting dogs and doing horrible things to them.

Another issue is it won't be easy getting most adults comfortable around guns, but the people I talk to about hog hunting say they don't waste their ammo and potentially kill their dogs and will instead slit the throat. Not sure how popular that is though.
>>
File: Wild_pig.png (279KB, 640x480px)
Wild_pig.png
279KB, 640x480px
>>2428188
>>
>>2428213
There are savty wests for dogs at boar hunts.
>>
File: savty wests.jpg (11KB, 350x280px) Image search: [Google]
savty wests.jpg
11KB, 350x280px
>>2429753
>savty wests
>>
>>2428188
Because my government won't even trust me with a sharpened spoon, let alone something needed for a wild pig.
>>
>>2429832
>sharpened spoon
Sup Bong
>>
Because wild hogs in hueland only live in very rural areas and in forests, and the place i live isn't a big city, but isn't a farmland either. Also, you can't own a gun here. Wish there were hogs near me so i could have pork for a lot of time.
>>
File: 1150055.jpg (279KB, 502x335px) Image search: [Google]
1150055.jpg
279KB, 502x335px
You know, humans seem to think they have a monopoly on changing the environment, and that there is somewhat sacred about the original state of the biosphere.
Tell that to the lost diversity of plants in Europe due to the Ice Age, to the lost South-American mammals after the invasion by North-American mammals, or to any of the changes made by natural processes.

The way I see it, non-native species are the future of diversity, we might never be able to witness this diversity, but maybe we do not deserve it after trashing so many ecosystems ourselves.

Embrace the New Wild Fred Pearce says, and guess what, that's what I do. Feral pigs belong to the future.
>>
>>2428188
Because they're native to where I live.
>>
>>2428310
Like the other anons said, it's OK to eat, but instead of corn or feed they've been eaing roadkill and acorns all their life. Not the best tasting but edible.
>>
>>2430079
Hogs that are solely/mostly acorn-fed actually taste pretty good.
>>
>>2428188
Because people get all butthurt using a tracer round to bring them down. Besides, I'm having fun teaching rats to fly: (6m39s mark)

https://youtu.be/aM62SJoaiog
>>
I recall a commander of a US military base literally begging for help culling feral hogs several years ago.

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2016/06/fort_rucker_wants_more_help_hu.html

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/23416106/ns/us_news-weird_news/t/fort-benning-puts-bounty-boars/
>>
>>2429753
Safety vests help but they sure don't make them invincible. Would still be hard to sway an animal lover to give me their dog on death row.
>>
I've gone spear hunting boar with a couple buddies.
It is the most insane adrenaline high I have ever experience and I've gone skydiving and bungee jumping numerous times.
It is tiring as FUCK though.
>>
>>2430551
Damn! and I thought people hunting bears with bows was crazy.

(why did I just visualize the scene in "First Blood")
>>
>>2430390
Then just get your dog a gun.
>>
>>2430554
Teaching an adult dog to not be gun-shy is a pretty long task. Without that I could probably train your average dog to be a decent boar hunter in 4 months, but getting used to a gun may take a year or more. The other thing I was worried about though is the boar hunters I talked to don't use guns in fear of accidentally shooting a dog. I'm not sure if that is a proper concern or just an excuse to slit a hogs neck instead of shooting it in the head. Also these dogs won't be mine, I'd be turning them over to people who hunt board that want pre trained dogs.
>>
>>2428188
Because I live in Yurope and there's no problem with that here.
>>
>>2429978
Eradication is a thing, and we're getting better at it.
Rats are starting to lose ground, slowly, but surely, we'll get them all.
>>
>>2428188
I wish my area was overrun with free bacon.
>>
>>2430551
I've thought as well about trying to go hunting caveman style, could you post the spear?
>>
>>2428188
I'm fighting the war against feral cats which are far more destructive
>>
>>2428230
Pigs are also intelligent enough to express emotions, whereas cats are sadistic meat robots
>>
In South Texas we like to walk around with a .44mag or .45 on the hip and take pot shots at the fuckers. See about 15-20 at a time, so it's hard to miss. They taste like shit unless you de-game the meat (adrenaline, wild diet, etc). I culled 10 the first time I went out to fuck 'em up with my dad at 12yrs old. Before that he did the killing and I did the cleanup.
>>
>>2430740
Yeah a lot of people hunt boards in my area.
>>
File: Boar Spear.webm (3MB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
Boar Spear.webm
3MB, 960x720px
>>2431058
>>2430551
>>2430553
>Don't watch, if you don't want to see a boar get killed.

Do you hunt on the ground or in a tree?
>>
>>2431068
You're wrong
>>
>>2431111
>throwing the spear
What's the point? You might as well get a gun.
>>
>>2430944
Delusional.
>>
File: 1495825208617.webm (407KB, 464x352px) Image search: [Google]
1495825208617.webm
407KB, 464x352px
>>2431126
Like so.
>>
>>2431130
t. rat
>>
File: 95mboa.jpg (58KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
95mboa.jpg
58KB, 960x960px
>>2431058
>>2431058
I'm on mobile at work atm, so no photo.
Similar to pic related from Cold Steel, but I had a local place make it for me. Longer crossbar than this. Ash shaft.
>>2431111
On the ground. I carry a sidearm because I don't want to die, though.
>>
>>2431102
Would any of them buy a pre trained dog if it were on the cheap? Say $50?
>>
>>2428223
I agree. It's similar to barn cats.

>but your cat is going to get killed by wolves, better imprison it in your house

There's nothing wrong in that. I think that is a brilliant idea, however, I never hunted boars so I don't know if that would be useful gor hunters.
>>
>>2428213
just don't tell the shelter people that you're adopting them to hunt
>>
>>2428188
My name is not important, all that matters is what I'm about to do. I just fucking hate this forest, and the swine worms feasting on it's carcass.
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.