[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

German Shepherd as first time Owner?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 10

File: 01.png (738KB, 680x544px) Image search: [Google]
01.png
738KB, 680x544px
As the titles says I was considering getting a German Shepherd Puppy in the near future and was wondering if it is a good choice for someone, who has only had experience with Dogs from relatives. I hope some of you have advice for me.
>>
>>2428123
They're neurotic, high energy, high intelligence, high drive dogs that have a tendency to get dangerously aggressive when not raised properly.

Do the math.
>>
>>2428123
For a first time dog, it's typically recommended that you adopt an older dog (or at least one that isn't still a puppy, so >1.5 years) instead of getting a puppy. Even the easiest puppies can try the patience of experienced dog owners.

GSDs are typically not a good fit for new or even novice owners. Echoing what >>2428148 said.

Have you considered looking at shelters or even breed specific rescues in your area? Have you looked into breeds of dogs that are "easy" for new/inexperienced dog owners? Those would be some good places to start your research!
>>
>>2428123
Puppy? Fuck no.
An adult, already properly trained german shepherd is a good companion, though. But you would still have to invest enormously into him. Really not recommended for a first pet.
>>
>>2428123
>high energy
>easily bored and frustrated
>myriad of health issues associated with the breed
Better off with an older mutt, tbqh.
>>
>>2428123
That depends on a lot of factors.
Do you plan on finding a good breeder and plan on enrolling them in a dog training class? Or do you prefer to have your arm pulled from its socket everywhere you go while walking them?

Are you prepared to socialize them especially when young so they are calm and confident around strangers and not a scared bitey dog that distrust everyone?

Do you plan to raise them right and scold them for biting and seriously stop any play biting on human hands? If not you will not lower the chances of a accident in their future.

Do you have a large yard? Do you like to jog? Would you like to have a dog that will be literally mentally unstable and suffer from extreme anxiety if they do not exercise 8 hours a day? They were bred to be a working dog. They NEED to exercise.

I adore the breed, but I am a couch potato and could never give them the exercise they need.

Read this OP
https://www.dogbreedinfo.com/germanshepherd.htm

Take the quiz on that site and check out Why We Love The Dogs We Do for a in depth and very accurate personality quiz to find what breed is best for you.
>>
File: aVXGYO8_700b_v1.jpg (56KB, 620x330px)
aVXGYO8_700b_v1.jpg
56KB, 620x330px
>>2428123
If you want a smaller german sheppard, like a puppy, why don't you just look for a mix of one with a smaller dog, like a welsh corgi?
>>
My friend's sister got one as a puppy for her first dog. He's a cool dog but can be a handful. If it were me I'd go with a different dog.
>>
U just have to go to the shelter and praying that God show u the right one and pray he leads you to the baby who needs ur help. U never know when u could be there last chance and DEAR JESUS do NOT go to a breader there are already so many special babies out there who need are help and u cant save them all baka
>>
>>2428123
My very first ever dog was a GSD. No dog experience whatsoever before him.

He was a hellion as a puppy. I was pigheaded and stubborn and unwilling to give up on my dog, even if he was horrible and I was in miles over my head.

He's a nice old dog, now. Already outlived his expected lifespan, but he's chugging along happy as anything. Strangers pet him in the street and he's fine with it. He's asleep behind me right now. Using my pillows, incidentally, which I'm not too happy about but I was going to change them anyway.

You'll have to be strong to stick it through, but it's possible.
>>
>>2428787
>posting all that without photos
>>
File: P7110005s.jpg (387KB, 1383x1037px) Image search: [Google]
P7110005s.jpg
387KB, 1383x1037px
>>2428787
I mean, I could send you to a blog with 1000+ photo posts, but I don't really reckon you're that interested.
>>
File: 001small.jpg (53KB, 615x461px)
001small.jpg
53KB, 615x461px
>>2428793
Sorry meant this >>2428803 for you not to reply to myself
>>
My dad had a GSD and a mutt.

Years later, after my dad died, I wanted a GSD, to be like my dad.
I didn't know how to properly train it. I was also young enough that my mom often over-ruled me and the dog always stayed outside.
Whenever I went outside to play with it, it would get too excited and I'd end up with scratches.
It died because it ate pesticide that my mom left in the backyard (an accident, my mom didn't think the dog would touch it, and it's haunted my mom for a long time).

I felt so guilty that we gave that dog a sad life and a horrible death that I've tried to redeem myself in every dog I've had afterwards.
>>
File: IMG_0553.jpg (334KB, 750x1334px)
IMG_0553.jpg
334KB, 750x1334px
As an owner of two German Shepherds, I would advise that if this is your first time ACTUALLY OWNING a dog this breed wouldn't be your best choice. Now if you have the money and plan on sending the puppy to obedience training when you get it maybe you could pull it off. They CAN have health issues I bought mine from a great breeder and have had no issues with either of my doggos. They are very smart and high energy dogs. Easy to train to do tricks and whatnot hard as far as behavior. I had experience with dogs before I got my first one as a puppy. Need exercise everyday for at least an hour. They have sensitive stomachs so you will spend quite a bit on food. They shed a lot as well, so be prepared to sweep or vacuum often.
Also can have hip issues BUT I taught mine to swim which is really good exercise as it is easy on the joints
My GSD pictured
>>
>>2428803
Handsome and quite distinguished old man.
>>
>>2428739
Every single corgi mix always just looks like a corgi dressed up as another breed for halloween.
>>
>>2428844
>my mom didn't think the dog would touch it

you really wonder what the fuck goes through peoples minds in life

>should i spend 30 seconds picking this up and storing it properly, knowing it can kill the dog?
>nahhhhhhhhh

not ragging on her, but ragging on the way human thought process works that allowed this to happen
>>
File: 2-bvNb3.jpg (286KB, 1280x960px)
2-bvNb3.jpg
286KB, 1280x960px
>>2429616
O RLY?
>>
If you get a GSD go with a breeder, a WORKING LINE breeder. It's worth the price believe me. I spent $1500 on my Gladius and he has turned out to be the best dog I've ever had.
>>
>>2430501
>first-time owner
>working-line dog
Don't do this, OP. If you're really set on a GSD, get a pet-quality pup from a show line that doesn't fuck up their spines. They'll be friendlier and lower energy.
>>
>>2428123
Please please look into what makes a breeder reputable and do not cut corners with that. So many bad breeders saying their dogs are imported, working lines, police dogs etc. There's more that goes into finding a good GSD breeder than I think any other breed, it's like finding a piece of hay in a needle stack.
>>
>>2430504
>show line that doesn't fuck up their spines
>needle in a hay stack

If he is dead set on a shepherd he's better off going for a working line. Even a show line is going to be high energy and require a lot of training. Not to mention as a first time owner he is more likely to commission a professional to help him train his dog vs someone who had a dog before and feels they can handle it. Why not go for the healthier, more obedient option?
>>
>>2430506
Yeah, this is true. Like, you do have to do your homework. Or you'll end up with a lovely dog with no good legs on it, chronic environmental allergies, and a nonfunctional pancreas.

Or a horrible dog with no good leg on it and then degenerative myelopathy or epilepsy.

And you really want to know the percentage of hemangiosarcoma and bloat deaths in a breeder's lines too because those are two very common, very sudden ways to lose your dog. Mesenteric torsion, for that matter, too.

Look, if you can find a breeder whose dogs are nice, not oversized, regularly live to 13, and whose only repeating health issue is undescended testicles in the males, GO FOR IT.
>>
>>2428123
You can get a puppy, but you need to invest time into training and exercise. Daily dog park before you go to work, daily training, crate or area training, strict obedience, etc.

I'd suggest a calmer large dog, something low energy and easy going.
>>
>>2429639
My dogs can smell a golf ball hidden under 3 inches of leaves from about 30 feet away in the woods.

Youd think they would be put off by the smell of chemically death. I get propylene glycol, but pesticides and fertilizers smell like ASS
>>
>>2430732
Working lines are more obedient? I'm interested to hear this, since the show lines are bred for schutzhund, versus working dogs usually need to be able to self direct in a crisis situation... I don't think I've known anyone who owned a working line, I was always told that they are more aggressive and dominant- not a great fit for companion life...
>>
>>2431181
This. Get a fucking golden retriever like every other normie
>>
>>2431237
Girlfriends senpai got a dog from the amish. Taught that nigga sit paw and lay in about 15 minutes. Very good companion but extremely high energy and too intelligent for its own good. Like damn near self-aware. Is loud as fuck because its meant to be heard across acres of farm tho.
>>
>>2428123
Well, OP, if this helps to give any perspective I had a rottweiler puppy for my first dog. Since everyone says that rottweilers, as well as german shepherds, are for "experienced owners" and I knew a lot about dog training I figured a shepherd would be fine. Not gonna say the shepherd wasn't a great dog- totally fun dog- but holy shit was it ever so much more work! More training, sensitive stomach, more attention, more activity... totally different from having the rottie who was easier as a puppy than an adult shepherd! I very highly recommend a lower energy breed for a first dog, or at least go for one that doesn't have a reputation for aggression if you mess up their training... Think bernese mountain dog, mastiff, collie, or even border collie- in my opinion all easier dogs than a shepherd. If you want the best dog companion of your life, get a rottweiler or a bernese- amazing dogs.
>>
>>2431242
Thanks for the reply! Yeah, the show lines I've known are just as quick to learn commands, but they'll complain and sass while they obey if they don't like it! Most bizarro dogs I've seen- throwing a tantrum but still doing as told... They are devoted companions for sure- I believe the dog that the breed was founded on was praised for being unhappy whenever not by his master's side. On the down side, they're indeed bred for a loud bark, prone to separation anxiety, and can be destructive if bored(crate training ftw)... The shepherds I've known do seem self aware- and they have some wolf blood in the breed, which I've noticed in some of their play behavior that is different from other breeds.
>>
>>2430504
>>2430732
Why not just be open to getting a dog from anywhere? Particularly, something like a half-GSD-half yorkshire terrier, or half-GSD-half chihuaha?

Or even a three quarters german sheppard? Or, something like half GSD, one quarger toy dog, and one quarter other GSD-similar breed like a czech wolfdog, that would have to be close enough.
>>
File: chart.jpg (146KB, 575x933px)
chart.jpg
146KB, 575x933px
>>2431247
>and they have some wolf blood in the breed
Please don't perpetuate this stupid idea. Unless you have a wolfdog with recent wolf ancestry, a regular dog is likely to be under 2% wolfiness.
And if you want to say which breed is most like their wolf ancestors, that goes to Shibas, Chow Chows, Akitas and Malamutes, which are breeds notorious for being aloof and difficult to train despite their intelligence because they do not seek human approval, much like their current day wolf cousins.
>>
i have one, they are just plain weird, if you think you are getting a "dog dog" you are not,

they have such strange and wildley varying personalitys and they only care about you, they are not the best around strangers

my freinds can pat my GSD as long as she is not sitting on the couch or bed then she turns into a bitch, strangers cant pat her at all or she will nip at them

crazy dogs
>>
We really tried to teach her not to bite people but the play biting from the puppy days was ok with us sometimes, ITS NOT

do not encourage the dog to bite you
>>
oh yeah they talk and sing a lot to you and need to be let out to chase the ball about 15000 times a day

also when you take them for a walk and you need to run into the shops and you tie them up, they will have a mental breakdown
>>
>>2431404
I started doing this with my guy quite young, just leaving him tied to the rubbish bin and popping in to the corner store.

He's fine with it.

I once went on down to the place where you sit your learner's license test, the one where you gotta answer 40 questions about the current road code correctly and if you get more than two wrong you fail. Anyway, I went down there and tied the dog to a tree and put a water bowl in front of him then went and took my test, and he didn't make a scene the whole time I was in the license place (not the DMV or whatever, by the way, different country.) I was more worried about someone stealing him, but some old drunk fella who was blind in one eye just stayed there and kind of petted him the whole time so he didn't get stolen.
>>
>>2430504
But don't show lines require that typical slope of the back that isn't best for GSD's?
>>
>>2430345
Damn that's a big Dachshund.
>>
my first dog was a german shepherd. i got her as a puppy and i was only 6 so i think you'll be fine OP, lol. they're smart, loyal, and obedient. pretty much the perfect doggos. if you ask me little dogs are much more difficult as they all seem neurotic and hyper
>>
>>2431817
That's not a dachshund. THIS is a dachshund. And, in fact, a big dachshund!

Maybe this might also be what OP wants?
>>
>>2431403
Wanted to echo this. Teaching your dog restraint is the best lesson they'll ever get.
>>
File: Pokémon.full.2032062.jpg (383KB, 672x840px) Image search: [Google]
Pokémon.full.2032062.jpg
383KB, 672x840px
>>2429616
lel
Pretty much my dude pretty much
>>
>>2431805
The slope is considered bad for quite some time now, at least a decade. Quality breeds don't have them.
>>
Back problems and waist problems, be careful about those, very careful.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.