[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Birb General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 325
Thread images: 93

File: foto.jpg (27KB, 536x418px) Image search: [Google]
foto.jpg
27KB, 536x418px
All things birds, from pets to wild birbs. Always looking for more shit to add to OP

>DIY bird cages
https://www.beautyofbirds.com/buildingacage.html

>Birb ID
https://www.allaboutbirds.org

>buy birbs
https://www.purelypoultry.com

>Very basic pet birb care
http://www.aav.org/?page=basiccare

Last but not least
>found baby bird, wat do?
https://www.fws.gov/midwest/news/foundbabybird.html

>Discord link goes to #birb
https://discord.gg/nDhYCFV
>>
I've always heard that birds like guinea hens and turkeys were good for eating ticks. Is there a bird species that loves mosquitoes?
>>
>>2427692
I don't know about adult mosquitoes but I'm sure aquatic birbs love to eat their larvae
>>
File: birds.png (440KB, 500x669px) Image search: [Google]
birds.png
440KB, 500x669px
>>2427689
>>
File: page-top-photo-1.jpg (103KB, 668x423px) Image search: [Google]
page-top-photo-1.jpg
103KB, 668x423px
I was going to a store in Irvine yesterday and saw a bunch of these fuckers fighting and screaming. Loudest bird squabble I've ever seen.

Apparently they've been there since 2011, same plaza:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7id5IIuKkM
>>
>>2427905
precious babies,,,
>>
File: IMG_0648.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0648.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
So I bought this giant 4lb of parrot food but I just noticed in the package that it says to throw away after 30-45 days after opening. Wat do? Should I return it? I only have one parrot and I really doubt she's gonna eat all of this in just a month.
>>
File: tumblr_najgugzKzp1r3p42ko3_500.gif (949KB, 500x282px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_najgugzKzp1r3p42ko3_500.gif
949KB, 500x282px
>>2428285
buy another birb
>>
File: 1461861230910.png (826KB, 540x720px) Image search: [Google]
1461861230910.png
826KB, 540x720px
>>2428285
>refrigerate or freeze for extended storage

Put in refridge
>>
Are birbs naturally attracted to egg-shaped objects? I had to move some egg-shaped novelty item my mom had because tiel flew over and tried to chew off the packaging.
>>
>>2428297
Oh lol, I didn't notice that...
>>
Can canaries (or birbs in general) get irritated by jalapeño juice? I know birbs can't sense the heat like we do but what if it gets in their eyes? I ask cause I put some chopped up jalapeño in my cage and while my birbs really liked it, I noticed that one couldn't stop trying to rub his face against things.
>>
cute!

http://www.hbw.com/ibc/video/blue-black-grassquit-volatinia-jacarina/male-displaying
>>
>>2428355
Be careful I'm sure that shit can irritate the poor bastards like crazy, maybe wash the seeds out before you put it in there so they eat the skin or outside of it, get the oils out
>>
I want a birb so bad. I had multiple zebra finches and worked for a raptor rehabilitation center for 2 years.

How are Indian ringneck parakeets? They need to have a buddy, right?

What about cockatiels?

Out of those two, which is better? Or should I dive into parrots?
>>
>>2428355
They should be fine, by juice do you mean liquid in the chilli or vinegar that preserves them?
They still should be fine
>>
>>2428409
Get a caique. They're cute as hell and like to play like puppies, rolling around on the floor and wrestling with each other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_-4KArFR08
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dt8A4ntToOM
>>
And yes, I think all birds need a buddy.
>>
>>2428412
Adorable, highly considering that birb now.

With my zebra finches we got it to where my 2 girls were used to both me and my mother. Is this possible with those? I know cockatiels can as well.

The reason I ask is because I'm woefully naive with parrots, and don't know how individualistic they are as far as bonding with humans.

>>2428413
Was this you? Does it apply to caique? Not that I mind, I'd get a pair. Guess I should Google this shit.

My spouse doesn't like keeping domestic birds (though there is one cockatoo at our local fish store that likes them and let's them give scritches right above the beak) which is why I'm hesitant with certain species--especially if they bond with only one person.
>>
>>2428418
>Was this you? Does it apply to caique? Not that I mind, I'd get a pair. Guess I should Google this shit.
I think the "needs a buddy" goes for all birds in general (unless there's always someone at the house).

It's probably best to get two very young ones and get them used to human contact from the beginning. I'm not really quite sure about how bonding varies by species, but personality difference between individuals is always a large factor. Worst case you'll end up with a pair of bird buddies that will play with you but perhaps won't be to interested in cuddling - that's how my parents' cockatiels ended up. I think conures, caiques and related species are less picky like that though.

By the way, I guarantee you will underestimate the amount of shit a parrot produces during a day. You will be cleaning very frequently.
>>
>>2428406
I'll see how it goes next time i give them. He's fine now.
>>2428410
I mean the liquid inside the Jalapeño itself, like when you cut into it. Can you give them those are soaked in vinegar as well??
>>
Also, speaking of canaries, my grandma is planning on making her female canary go through 6 broods... This must not be healthy for her right? She's already on her third. What should I do?
>>
File: 1498724468800.png (154KB, 432x640px) Image search: [Google]
1498724468800.png
154KB, 432x640px
>>
>>2428880
Great movie, but why in birb thread?
>>2428466
>I guarantee you will underestimate the amount of shit a parrot produces during the day.
Oh I'm very aware. One of my coworkers at a vet I used to work for had an unwanted African Grey she took in and that thing could make a mess, especially because it was mistreated before, so if had some destructive behaviors that added to the mess. (Luckily they are okay now and he is a very happy bird. I guess he is, grew all his feathers back and ceased the plucking behavior).

Honestly, the caiques and cockatiels are what interest me. I'll research more about them. Any other resources I should use besides stuff in OP?
>>
No love for big birbs? I love Moluccan cockatoos.
https://youtu.be/Jo-357E7lbw
>>
>>2428409
Don't get two parrots of the same species, they'll tend to stay away from you then, you could, say get a cockatiel and a budgie and put them them in separate cages but if its your first parrot you should get one, I suggest a cockatiel
>>
>>2428994
Cockatiel and budgie could be a bad mix - there's a risk the budgie will stress and annoy the calmer cockatiel.

>>2428884
I think the cockatiel will be an easier and less demanding bet, but caiques, conures etc. seem to give more back through being more playful and possibly more affectionate.
>>
why is your opinion on shoebills?
>>
How should I socialize my parakeet trio? Had two of them for about a year but Dad put a wild one he found with them as well.
>>
> be the anon from last thread who posted that I would put my adopted budgie to sleep
> adopted this little shit when I found him bleeding at the bottom of my neighbor's cage
> fucker is strong on his one foot the next day and goes on
> name him buck because he was m/an/ly as shit
> let me pet him this morning before I went to work, then proceeded to eat his pellets and seed mix
> found him passed away when I come back

Fuck I wanted him to live just a bit longer, he was really doing well.

Gonna bury him tonight under my orange tree where he spent time under. Shit quality pic related, after some medication.
>>
File: IMG_5854.jpg (702KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5854.jpg
702KB, 1024x768px
Wild finch eating spruce buds
>>
>>2430509
sorry for your loss anon

raise a glass
>>
File: IMG_20170625_120342337.jpg (4MB, 3006x5344px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170625_120342337.jpg
4MB, 3006x5344px
Went to Mexico and I saw this adorable little guy at an Aviary
>>
>>2430509
F
>>2429678
Where the hell do you live where you find wild parakeets?
>>
>>2428884
>Great movie, but why in birb thread?
There's a spooky birb in the poster
>>
>>2429047
I just got my first cockatiel a couple months ago and holy fuck I wish I had done this sooner. I've had a goffin cockatoo for almost 10 years now who's a fucking asshole, but the cockatiel is so smol and sweet
>>
>>2427689
Is pic related a good cage for 2 cockatiels? Size is 81 x 78 x 155 cm (L x W x H)
>>
>>2430939

Wide > tall for bird cages, especially if you don't clip their wings. Birds fly horizontally and horizontal cages offer more to them in terms of exercise and stimulation.
>>
>>2430556
I'm from Mexico and my grandma used to have one when I was little. They've also become naturalized here in the wild.
>>
>>2430939
Get as big of a cage as you can possibly fit, even if they won't be in the cage for long.
>>
File: 20170715_105923.jpg (237KB, 733x618px) Image search: [Google]
20170715_105923.jpg
237KB, 733x618px
Can anyone tell what kind of bird this is? I live in Boston Massachusetts if that helps. I tried looking it up myself but I'm retarded
>>
How do birds react to mirrors?
I have a crow that sometimes comes around and likes to play, wondering if it was a bad idea to show him a mirror
>>
File: 1497135563047.jpg (19KB, 222x293px) Image search: [Google]
1497135563047.jpg
19KB, 222x293px
>>2431489
Northern Flicker
>>
>>2431495
Thanks senpai!
>>
File: catbird.jpg (42KB, 1024x820px) Image search: [Google]
catbird.jpg
42KB, 1024x820px
>AHHHHH
>AHHHHH
>AHHHHH
>>
>>2431469
Well the biggest cage i can afford. Its far more bigger than the one i have now.

I have a single cockatiel and i got a pretty tall cage but not very wide since when i got him he was a baby and small.
Im thinking on buying a bigger cage cause i want to get him a mate since Im going on firefighter school and want be around for 4 years.
>>
>>2431654
won't*
>>
Have my Jardine parrot for about 5 years now

>Sneaky little bastard
>Very destructive when not being constantly monitored
>Destroyed keyboards, cables, clothes, shoes, headphones
>Speaks quite well for a Jardine but only things you don't actually want him saying
>Extremely jealous of any woman in my life and will actively savage them if given a chance
>Gay as fuck for any man willing to give him attention
>Slaps my mother's cats around when I take him there for Christmas
>Flew out of my window once but I was able to call him back
>Likes to cuddle for hours and groom my beard
>Once got drunk off his ass by taking a few gulps of my whisky when I wasn't looking and then waddled around screaming birb obscenities until he fell asleep

I love the guy to death but he spends most of the time pissing me off but fuck do I love my birb
>>
>>2428297
BAD BIRD
>>
>>2431834
People say alcohol is toxic to birds. It is also toxic to people. But like, what kind of toxic? HOW toxic?
>>
>>2431893
I don't purposefully give my parrot alcohol but he gets into everything if you're not looking. I'm sure its mostly the quantity because they have tiny bodies and tiny livers compared to us so alcohol must be even more toxic to them. That said, he's still kicking and squawking everywhere and seems to be doing just fine.
>>
File: 19989386.jpg (67KB, 562x615px) Image search: [Google]
19989386.jpg
67KB, 562x615px
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
>>
So this duck couple hust hatched babies and the father left. Is this normal?
>>
File: big mean birb.jpg (3MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
big mean birb.jpg
3MB, 3120x4160px
Who's this big mean birb
>>
>>2430737
In Florida there's a huge Nanday Conure population.
>>
I live in the middle of hurricane onahole and I don't have much experience with birbs
will the wind gust sounds (and the sounds of my house shaking) bother them and make them freak out a lot?
>>
File: common_raven_1.jpg (63KB, 640x395px) Image search: [Google]
common_raven_1.jpg
63KB, 640x395px
*blocks your path*
>>
>>2431834
What a fucking cunt, wish my bird acted like that
>>
>>2432130
Yes.

>>2432311
Eagle.

>>2432346
*toss meat*
*obtain raven bro friend*
>>
>>2431491
Just down the road from my house, there's a noisy mynah obsessed with the traffic safety mirror. Whenever I drive past I see them trying to get a good look at themselves in it.

I swear to god some birds go mad when they see their reflection.
>>
>>2431343
Do you know where their native land is?
>>
>screeching
>loud
>poops indoors
>annoy
>LOUD
birb worst pet
>>
>>2432838
Babies do all of that and cost far more
>>
>>2432831
I was actually really wrong lol. I thought they were foreign to Mexico (I swear I read this at this zoo I went to) but apparently they're local, although to be fair I had never seen them in my hometown, I only saw them in the wild after moving to a bigger city (kinda ironic they live here but not in my much more temperate and forested hometown).
>>
>>2432330
I've seen cockatiels adapt to much worse, like autistic kids constantly chasing and catching them. However I'd be .or worried about the fact that your house may get severely damaged someday if it's constantly getting fucked by hurricanes
>>
File: tripfag.webm (3MB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
tripfag.webm
3MB, 720x720px
>>
>>2427953

They're all over SoCal now a days. Seen them as far south as Aliso Viejo and as far north as CSU Long Beach. But of course they don't come see me in Santa Ana because I can't have nice birbs to look at.
>>
My grandmother has a pet budgie that she got from somebody with kids. Apparently there was two but one died and they gave this budgie to her. The bird looks very traumatized from living with the kids and having it's friend die. Does anyone know how to make life for this little guy better? I feel pretty bad, it cowers to the back of his cage when anyone even tried to get near it. It can't sing, talk and just shakes when it's approached.
Birds are a little too smart to be left in a cage with no other interaction. How do I help this little guy.
>>
>>2433090
Cocky a qt
>>
>>2427953
>>2433091
I live in Mission Viejo and I've never seen those guys. Where can I spot them - I wanna see them now :(
>>
File: v.webm (3MB, 720x404px) Image search: [Google]
v.webm
3MB, 720x404px
>>
>>2433111
Adopt him. Really, there's no other way, I've been in the same situation. You can try to tell them how to take care of the bird, to give them instructions, but they will probably think you are exaggerating and ignore you.

Just let them know that if taking care of the bird ever starts to become a problem, you will be more than glad to take him.
>>
>>2433282
How do I bond with vulture? They visit my yard often. Can I throw them some sliced turkey?
>>
Why are tiels so cute?
>>
File: 1498696450487.png (150KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1498696450487.png
150KB, 500x375px
>>2433423
>>
File: 20170717_174909.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20170717_174909.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
These two fell out of the nest their parents made above our deck and they wont leave. the other three or four have flown off except for one which is dead af in the corner. Pretty sure these are sparrows and I reeally want to keep one of these adorable fucks as a pet that will follow me around but I know close to nothing about birbs and have nothing needed to take care of it. Plus my roommate aint fond of birbs so if theyre still around when he gets back they might be getting a mouthfull of WD40.

Id rather they not die at the hands of lubricant so should I set them on the grass right below our apartment? more pics to come.
>>
File: 20170717_102709.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20170717_102709.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
>>2433437
>>
File: 20170709_155539.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20170709_155539.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
>>2433463
>>
>>2433460
Fully ready fledglings. They are practicing flying and the parents are hidden nearby. Just don't mess with them and they will be gone by the end of the day
>>
>>2433460
don't let your roommate kill them
>>
File: 1orson.jpg (35KB, 518x388px) Image search: [Google]
1orson.jpg
35KB, 518x388px
Here is Orson, he needs a bird friend.
>>
>>2433789
Until then, make sure he has a human friend. Also Orson is a great name for a budgie.
>>
hello, are birbs cute and interactive?
How easy do they tame?
Or will they just peck me and shit everywhere?
What good birb to start?
>>
>>2433944
Yes.
No.
Yes.
Maybe.
>>
>>2433460 here
Found three dead ones, presumably starved to death. None of them died at the hands of my friend though so thats good at least. There is only one living anymore and hes not very hoppy anymore and seems like he is running out of energy.
I really really want to feed it something so it doesnt die. Its so damn cute i want to keep it but I know I probably cant.

IS there a species of bird that isnt a parrot and will fly about while follow me
around outside without having to be on a string or something? If I cant do that there is almost no point in me holding onto a bird just to keep it locked up in my house ya know?
>>
>>2433974
Almost every bird can be trained to follow around a person outside, but even the most well-trained parrots/birds will fly off if outside.The relationship you share with a bird generally affects its behaviour, but I believe the bigger the bird the less likely it is to become startled and fly off if you share a strong bond.

I don't think your local vets would want you keeping a bird like the chicks you have without an aviary or any experience. I recommend you research the species of bird you're dealing with and try to feed it or take it to your local vet. I'm unsure if the little guy still requires some form of incubation, I'm not too versed in caring for orphaned chicks. I don't think you should keep it as a pet.
>>
>>2433944
>>2433981

Same anon here.
Most birds can be cute and interactive, but it's important a bond is formed before they are handled and played with. Trust is essential.
Generally, a bird is easier to tame if it is hand-reared. Breeders will hand-rear a specific species of choice at a price, but it is up to you to tame it. Generally, budgies, cockatiels, parrotlets and most parakeets are easier to tame and the process is a lot less tedious compared to a larger bird (like a cockatoo or any other large bird). All birds peck and shit, if you want a cute bird you have to build a relationship with them. They will still shit though, you can't stop that. I recommend you start with a cockatiel or a budgie/parrotlet. Those three are very common, very cute and very easy to care for. Don't expect to start off with a conure or a ringneck.
>>
>>2433981
I have no aviary experience at all to be honest but anything is better than just letting it die. It would be a lot easier to take it as a pet if I had taken it in its egg and raised it from then on but I just found this little guy. And the pet shops near me are closed today so anything I feed him is coming from the kitchen. Read a few things online about their diet.
Went and grabbed a chunk of mud with worms sticking out of it, hopefully he figures out to eat them or he gon die.

Also I am not sure but I think these are house sparrows which arent under the WDFW or whatever so me taking them isnt illegal right?
>>
>>2433987
If it's only a house sparrow, I see no issue in you taking him indoors. Ready a box or a place to keep him for the night. I still believe you should release him if he is eager to leave once he has matured a bit. Don't let him imprint on you if you plan on releasing him. You have to keep him warm (temperatures between 85-90F) as well. Do not feed earthworms to the sparrow, they are not good for them. Instead, try to find crickets or kibble. Perhaps ask a neighbour who isn't an asshole who has a dog? There's a wikihow article on caring for a common house sparrow if you need any extra tips.
>>
>>2433986
how do i Budgie?
>>
how do I build trust with my bird?
he doesn't seem to want to accept any treats from my hand
I try to be gentle and talk soft to him but nothing seems to work
I got him 2 days ago from petsmart so i'm sure he's a really stressed out and anxious bird

any tips for a beginner budgie owner?
>>
File: 1500408490288-1057450249.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
1500408490288-1057450249.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
Added the water bottle for scale. Do you guys think this would be an okay sized cage for a cockatiel? My parakeet just passed away the other day, and this was her cage, was wondering if it would be sufficient for a tiel, or if I should get a bigger one.
>>
>>2434047
> two days

Wew buddy. you got at least a month before you get any progress, and probably even more before he actually eats out of your hand.
>>
>>2434047
Starve its ass til it gets the idea.
>>
File: tumblr_nsc41blap41rbx4zdo4_500.jpg (61KB, 500x335px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nsc41blap41rbx4zdo4_500.jpg
61KB, 500x335px
Hey guys

what are birds even about?
>>
>>2434317
They're little dinosaurs
>>
>>2434317
They are about making noise and throwing things.
>>
>>2434336
>I have never had a hawk
>>
File: Raven.png (41KB, 693x707px) Image search: [Google]
Raven.png
41KB, 693x707px
>>2434317
Biding time before taking over
>>
>>2433005
It never gets badly damaged, I even left the windows open on the first day of matthew
I'm just worried that the howling wind and the creaking doors etc. will scare the shit out of them
>>
Some birds are eating apricot and cherry seeds in my garden. Will they be ok?
>>
Is it okay for a birb to chew on Avocado seed or is it poisonous to them?
>>
>>2434344
>Implying ever having a hawk is a common thing
>>
>>2434045
>>2434047

>>2433990

bird fucker anon here

Budgies are pretty skittish birds, but it's rather easy to tame one. Keep their cage in a corner in a place where nobody can come around another corner and surprise them (so basically in a room where the exit/door is opposite the cage). Let them get used to their new environment for a few days to a week. When you get the time, sit next to their cage and idle, make it so they understand you are not a threat. If your bird eats in your presence, that should be a sign they trust you a bit more. You can quietly speak while around them during this phase, it may make teaching your bird a certain phrase a bit simpler if you start early. From this point, you can attempt to hand feed them. Do not force your hand in their face, simply leave the food on your hand for them to retrieve. Their cage is their safe zone, do not force them out of it. Eventually, your budgie will become comfortable around your hand (the time it takes for this to happen can be a while), from there you can start teaching it how to step-up.

If anyone sees's any errors in this please correct me.
>>
>>2434517

>>2434511
>>2434506

Cherry and apricot seeds contain cyanide in a dose often harmful to birds. My guess is no.
I believe the avocado pit is not healthy for them, I'm unsure. Do not feed any birds anything that has been in contact with avocado just in case. You may want to seek help on another site.
>>
File: IMG_0920.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0920.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>2434090
Bigger definitely. That being said, it'd probably be fine as a 'travel cage', but tiels get a fair bit bigger than parakeets do.
That being said, my cockatiel lived in a cage about that size for about 2 months when I got him, since he was a baby and clumsy he didn't risk hurting himself like in the giga-huge cage I had for him. (Originally got said cage for an African Grey)
>>
>>2427689
This is my first time on /an/, searched for this board specifically to find a bird thread and here I am. Every night a mockingbird sings from 11pm to 7am on the other side of my street, in my neighbors tree. It is so loud I hear it no matter where I go in my house (all windows and doors shut) but I really enjoy it's song because it constantly changes and I hear elements of other animals and insects within it's call, unique to any other mockingbird I've ever listened to. The last two nights I haven't heard anything. Has it left? Is there a way to attract it to my yard or let it sing at night with confidence once again? It stayed a good 3 weeks of constant singing throughout the night. It was hilarious while under the influence of certain substances and really made me want to feed this bird and welcome if in some sense. Any advice?

I also feed the neighborhood crows. I don't know much about them but they seem so unnatural and mechanical. Beautiful in a strange way, I know they have to reconigze me before they accept food and even then they are hesitant to trust me. Is there any way to get a crow to feel safe around me? There are two of them that watch me in my yard every day, they usually clean eachother, touch beaks and scratch at each others necks when they are both around, which isn't all the time. I wonder if they are lovers who are content without human interaction and just stick around for food, or if they individually have any interest in ever flying down to pick up food and get comfy. What do?
>>
>>2434744

http://coyot.es/thecorvidblog/2015/08/02/making-friends-with-crows/

https://owlcation.com/stem/How-to-Make-Friends-with-Crows

http://www.birdsforever.com/mockingbirds.html
>>
>>2434757
Good info, thank you
>>
>>2434512
Silly me, I thought OP was asking about birds, but now I realize they were just asking about SOME birds. Thank you for your insight.
>>
File: 1494114813369.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1494114813369.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
He's really growing on me
>>
I'm looking for some binoculars for general biological observation, though birding will be a good part of it.

I've mostly been using my company's binos but would like something for myself without going the route of a coworker and spending $2700 on a pair.

Whats a good entry level set? Honestly I would almost prefer a monocular since I've had difficulty using binos well, is there a good starting point or reference list for monos?
>>
>>2435456
Back when I was trapping my first hawk I got a Nikon Aculon with zoom for about $200 to replace the Wally World jobs that I couldn't see the tail with. Since I've gotten better at ID-ing I could probably ID passage vs hag from 150 yards out I guess, read signs from 50 yards away. Not sure if they're the best or what since I'm not a binoculars aficionado, but they get the job done for me.
>>
>>2435835
Clarification: signs in store windows printed on 8.5x11 with maybe 20pt font.
>>
>>2433145

22 Brookline, Aliso Viejo

That's the location of my former workplace (the UPS facility) and they would be hanging out around 7-9am. It's been 3 years since I've been there, but they were always making a fuss for the 5 years I worked at the facility. And Cal State Long Beach had them hanging around the big blue pyramid while I was going to school there.
>>
File: 20170720_144009.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170720_144009.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
Eurofag here, found this little guy out in the woods. It was all alone but the parent was most likely nearby looking for food. It sat surprisingly still as if paralyzed, didn't even twitch or turn its head as I got closer to snap the pic. Anyone got an idea what it might be? I think it may be some thrush, but fledgelings are tricky to pin down.
>>
File: a68.png (301KB, 520x678px) Image search: [Google]
a68.png
301KB, 520x678px
>>2435406
>>
>>2435456
>Good entry level binoculars
Nikon Monarch 3 sells for about $200. They're pretty solid for the price. Anything better than that will likely set you back another 100-200 bucks.
>>
>>2435098
Actually, it was talking about generally all birds, instead of just a specific few ones like you did.
Here's how it works:
Some birds aren't noisy =/= Birds aren't overall noisy

Glad we go that covered up
>>
My whore of a budgie laid eggs, wasted a month sitting on them and failed, but in the process she lost her feathers around the beak. Doesn't seem like scaly mites, just balding. It's been several months since, and she's still bald, yet energetic and active. Why.
>>
>>2436456
birds commonly kept by people are noisy =/= birds are noisy

Some are noisy and some aren't. Don't know if I ever heard a heron or pelican make significant noise either. Also muscovies make noise but are very quiet.

>inb4 "51%+ of birds are noisy means birds are noisy"
>>
>>2436496
Buy a two dollar bottle of skin and feather vitamin supplements. See if it makes a difference.
>>
File: sad.jpg (534KB, 1276x2268px) Image search: [Google]
sad.jpg
534KB, 1276x2268px
>>
File: 1500369904019.jpg (59KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1500369904019.jpg
59KB, 800x800px
>>2436723
Please no
>>
File: IMG_0216.jpg (1MB, 1620x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0216.jpg
1MB, 1620x1080px
>>2431491
My cockatiel got interested the first time he saw a mirror, but after that he stopped giving a shit. He doesn't seem to think of his reflection as another bird of his kind.

Btw, my cockatiel is quite obsessed with clothing of any kind, from little towels to pillows. Is that common?
>>
File: sad_baldrick.jpg (11KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
sad_baldrick.jpg
11KB, 320x240px
my budgie died today
he'd been sick for a long time, but he looked like he'd been getting better this past week
this morning he was even chirping, but after I had lunch I went to check on him and found him shaking on the bottom of his cage
I brought him outside to his favorite spot and held him, sat there for a couple of hours watching helplessly as he slowly stopped breathing
finally he had a violent spasm before he went stiff and his feet curled up
it's such a goddamn shitty feeling seeing that happen
>>
>>2436869
I have been in your shoes with chickens that i raised from babies it is a bad feeling man
>>
BIRDFAG HERE FOR IDS MOTHERFUCKERS.

>>2427689
Yellow-chevroned Parakeet

>>2427953
Lilac-crowned Parrot (Amazon)

>>2430532
Purple Finch

>>2430556
Orange-fronted Parakeet

>>2431489
Northern Flicker, the eastern subspecies. They're a type of woodpecker.

>>2431566
fuck off fag

>>2432311
Golden Eagle

>>2432346
*insults americans with, as ravens are far smarter*

>>2433090
Barn Owl

>>2433282
Juvenile Black Vultures. underrated.

>>2433789
please gas yourself

>>2434317
European Robin

>>2435406
gas yourself

>>2435944
fledgeling Redwing, a type of Thrush. Babies hold still for camouflage. Looks healthy, has probably left their parent by now.

>>2436762
Song Thrush

later nigs
>>
File: IMG_2505.jpg (510KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2505.jpg
510KB, 1920x1080px
>>
File: IMG_2516.jpg (343KB, 1412x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2516.jpg
343KB, 1412x1080px
>>
File: IMG_2521.jpg (362KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2521.jpg
362KB, 1920x1080px
>>
File: 2.jpg (271KB, 900x706px) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
271KB, 900x706px
>>
>>2437159
Hahaha disregard that, I suck cocks
>>
some cool looking birds:

Rhinoceros hornbill
Helmeted hornbill
Wilson's bird-of-paradise
King of Saxony bird-of-paradise
Cock-of-the-rock
Arfak astrapia
Horned guan
Lawes's parotia
Black sicklebill
>>
>>2437434
real birdfag here. Ignore this gross filthy nigger.
>>
>>2433423
They have such ugly nostrils though.
>>
>>2434344
I have seen plenty of noisy hawks, especially when there's two of them fighting over some mysterious bird item in a tree.
>>
>>2437342
>Australians are terrified of this
>>
>>2437747
Hawks can make noise =/= hawks are noisy
Hawks are physically capable of making noise =/= birds are noisy

Like really dude? Find a red-tail on the side of the road and sit there for a while. 98% of the time you won't hear jack shit.
>>
>>2437774
Oh crap didn't realize you're not the anon I'm arguing with. Still though, wild hawks are quiet almost all the time, the territorial stuff is one of the few exceptions to that. I have a hawk; it is stupid quiet and does not throw things. My point is that "all birds are loud and throw things" is a hasty generalization of birds, hawks is the first and easiest counterexample to come to mind since I have one. If I'm generous I would say "most of the commonly kept birds are noisy and like to throw things."
>>
>>2437715
does being real birdfag imply being able to sell something rare? got quarantine for import in eu, generally would be interested in various softbills, color mutations (not hybrids) of macaws, or generally rare birds, black cockatoo, etc.
>>
File: gloster canary.jpg (33KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
gloster canary.jpg
33KB, 480x360px
i just found out about these funny bowlcut birbs
>>
My baby boy meeting Santa.
>>
>>2436764
>my cockatiel is quite obsessed with clothing of any kind
My old tiel would personally inspect the laundry every day, and my current one is already screaming at people who enter the noisy room with clothes.
>>
>>2437715
anon pls
>>
is it me or do african grays all have the same voice?

i went to a zoo today and they had a few and one of them sounded exactly like mine when speaking
>>
>>2437811
Being a real birdfag means you're a bird that takes it up the ass.
>>
File: IMG-20170722-WA0003~01.jpg (26KB, 328x403px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20170722-WA0003~01.jpg
26KB, 328x403px
The green budgie is treating this other budgie as a female. My parents have only just bought 2 budgies to join the previous male pair they had in their aviary, and they bought what they thought were an additional 2 males.

Looking at its cere from this admittedly less than sharp image, it seems pretty pink/brown. What do you think?

I've told my mum to double check and told her I suspect its a female from the coloration. What do you guys think? Is it too blurry?
>>
>>2437342
#1 ultimo bird
>>
File: IMG-20170724-WA0002.jpg (107KB, 495x408px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20170724-WA0002.jpg
107KB, 495x408px
>>2438808
Another pic
>>
File: IMG-20170722-WA0003.jpg (127KB, 1328x747px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20170722-WA0003.jpg
127KB, 1328x747px
Basically do you think its fine if there are 3 male budgies and one female? Apparently the green budgie isn't letting others near her, but its nothing really bad at the moment.
>>
>>2427689
>>2427689
Was thinking about feeding some crowbros but a family of hawks keep chillin in my back yard.
I don't really see crows around as much anymore so could I feed hawk bros instead?
>>
>>2438808
>>2438843
>>2438844

LMAO ur bird is gay
>>
>>2436723
>ONE LFET OF FOUR
That's so sad
>>
>>2438856
Only way to feed hawk bros is to have a bird feeder or a squirrel feeder. Before long those things will turn into a hawk feeder.
>>
>>2438844
Totally fine, I have the same group.

If the maile pair isn't interested in the femlae, there are no issues. Although I assume the birb on the far left is also female (blue noese with white rings).
>>
>>2439062
This. Although my cousin will still throw deli meat at the red tail that sits on the railing of our deck.
>>
>>2439340
t. falconer here
I would prolly try some thawed mice and see what I could get away with. If that fails, live mice. If that fails, live cotton rats. If that fails, go to a place that actually has a red-tail, then try the above. If that fails, stay in the car / house you dumb shit, then try again. If that fails, kys you monster faggot.

If I had literally nothing better to do with my time I would like to try to get a passage red-tail to slowly take good closer and closer to me until it was eating off a glove without ever being trapped.
>>
>>2439372
*food
>>
>>2439372
Can I do this with a turkey vulture? There's one that sometimes comes in my yard.
>>
>>2439383
I gave next to no experience with them but I would imagine they would eat thawed mice. Might take a bit for them to smell it, maybe get it a lil bit up off the ground so other things don't get it (like on top a little shed), I dunno.

I would try feed every day at same time for a few weeks, then over the course of another few weeks work your way up closer and closer. Got to pay close attention on stress and stuff and do it gradually. Again no idea how this would actually go down but this is close to something I am actually interested in trying.
>>
I'm unsure if I should get a rainbow lorikeet or a sun conure. I have plenty of experience with parrots and have plenty of free time and disposable income. Do any of you have experience with either of them?

Also, would it be a good idea to buy it from a breeder in another state? there's none nearby me.
>>
File: 1498616257265.gif (1MB, 446x270px) Image search: [Google]
1498616257265.gif
1MB, 446x270px
will playing budgie sounds harm my budgie at all?
he is a solo bird and gets really excited when I start playing budgie sounds
>>
File: 20170725_063349.webm (3MB, 800x542px) Image search: [Google]
20170725_063349.webm
3MB, 800x542px
Came across these retards on my way home from the store. What exactly is going on here? Is it bullying?
>>
>>2439496
Nope, Not at all. Budgies will not get depressed if you take away other bird calls or a mirror.

>>2439511
Nah, he's just horny. Their mating dance isn't as elegant as parrots.
>>
>>2439511
>>2439552
you sure that isn't a fledgling begging for food?
>>
>>2439562
I don't think so, But their attitudes and behaviors are quite different from place to place.
>>
>>2439091
Jesus, major fuck up if true, because the deep blue on far left is also new and supposed to be male.

>buy 2 male budgies
>receive 2 female budgies
>>
what is universally the best pet bird if you put in 100% effort?
>>
>>2439642
Macaws.
But you really have to put in 100% effort with no slack whatsoever, otherwise they become asshats.
>>
File: big bird.webm (3MB, 424x480px) Image search: [Google]
big bird.webm
3MB, 424x480px
>>
>>2439771
What a majestic creature
>>
>>2439642
a cassowary
>>
My turkeys are taking care of baby chicken.
>>
File: IMG_20170725_150423.jpg (1MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170725_150423.jpg
1MB, 3024x4032px
>>2440013
Woops forgot pic
>>
>>2439993
this.
>>
>>2439562
That's def a fledgling begging for food. Baby gulls are brown or gray.
>>
>>2439726
Can you expound on this
>>
considering getting either a budgie, or cockatiel in the future, I had a conure as a kid, and we didn't take good care of him, any advice? I'm gonna be working full time by the time I'm ready to adopt them.
>>
>>2440355
Budgies don't need as much interaction as tiel's do, and they're not as loud. If you get two males they'll entertain themselves most of the time. Cockatiels on the other hand need at least a few hours of interaction a day and they're much louder but, in my experience, a much more rewarding and affectionate bird in which I highly recommend.

Zebra finches are a great bird if you have very little free time. They're very interested in other noises, so I recommend leaving the radio on for them. They're really fun birds because when they're babies they begun to develop a unique love song which they perfect when they reach adult hood.

If you have even just a small bit of time to spend with your bird, I defiantly recommend a cockatiel. If not, I personally like the zebra finch over a budgie. Good luck, anon.
>>
We just hang out.
>>
>>2440405
>>
>>2440407
Cute!
>>
File: DB0s2iTXYAIq0Tu.jpg_orig.jpg (667KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
DB0s2iTXYAIq0Tu.jpg_orig.jpg
667KB, 2048x1536px
>>2440407
Post more
>>
File: 20170725_231811_Burst01.jpg (4MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
20170725_231811_Burst01.jpg
4MB, 4160x2340px
>>2440590
>>
Here's the hawk btw
>>
File: Farawaybird.jpg (880KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
Farawaybird.jpg
880KB, 2048x1536px
I got a 59cm by 32cm cage that belonged to some sort of rat.
Can I use it for a bird with few adjustments? If so, what bird would be a good first one?
>>
I just caught what I think is an injured sparrow. It was hopping around lopsidedly and couldn't fly to get away from me.

I thought there's no way in hell this thing is a baby, it looks full grown, but someone told me it might be a fledgling and deceptively large. I really don't think it is one, but the more I open the cardboard box to look at him, the more he flails around and I worry he's going to hurt himself. Or worse, kill himself from shock/fright.

It's hot here too and I don't know how to keep him properly ventilated without giving him too large a space.

I'm trying to get in touch with a wild bird help line but I don't have a car and no real way to get around. And what if he dies before I can even do anything?

Anyone have any advice?
>>
File: DSCN0336.jpg (926KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0336.jpg
926KB, 2048x1536px
>>2440783
Pic related. Really wanted a pet bird.
>>
>>2440786
Nevermind bird is OK.
>>
File: noexif_bad21d89~2.jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
noexif_bad21d89~2.jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
>>2440407
Is this a new bird or just a mouth-breather?
>>
>>2440866
You'll have a hard time setting up perches.
Also it's too small.
Real bird cages are designed to be easier to clean too. I'd drop $20 on the real thing.
>>
should i get a budgie and a dog
or a couple of budgies and cockatiels, and possibly an african grey if I feel ready for the commitment and care
>>
>>2427692
King quail, leave a little solar lamp low in the aviary and they'll fucking smash'em.
>>
>>2440866
Too small of a cage
>>
File: birbpad.jpg (291KB, 1878x1319px) Image search: [Google]
birbpad.jpg
291KB, 1878x1319px
birb
>>
>>2441355
Can confirm
>>
>>2441355
think pad birb
>>
File: 1353176672278.jpg (65KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
1353176672278.jpg
65KB, 480x640px
>>2441355
real hackers, real birbs
>>
>>2441363
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tg4MgDD8FoA
>>
>>2437159
What are you, some kind of faggot?
>>
Hello fellow bird enthusiasts, I have a question. I want to make a cage for my parakeet and was going to make it 3x2 feet but recently I heard that since birds fly horizontally they need a cage that is more wide than it is tall. Should I make it 2x3 feet instead? Or just go with the original dimensions?
>>
>>2441846
2 by 3 if his wings aren't clipped. That's more than enough room for a keet.
>>
>>2436869
Sorry, Anon. That sucks.
At least you were there for him in his last hours. Nothing more you could have done.
Not that it helps for you when you think back on it, but you couldn't have been better for him than you were.
You did good.
>>
>>2441886
thanks, his wings aren't clipped so 2x3 it is.
>>
File: 1449015339592.jpg (4KB, 225x224px) Image search: [Google]
1449015339592.jpg
4KB, 225x224px
for the past four years there is, what i'm guessing, one family of robins who keep coming back to the same nest within the wisteria vines on my porch. This year there were three baby birds.

I woke up one morning and found the nest knocked off the rail of the porch and one baby bird on the ground starting to get eaten by ants. It didn't look too far gone and was still struggling on the ground, so I put the baby back in the nest and the nest back in its historical spot. It's been a couple weeks now and the baby is now in good health.

The thing is, I'm almost positive it was this one shithead cat who desecrated their home. Tonight I found it stalking around my yard, and I ran it off. I'm sure the nigger is going to be back at some point though, but I can't be assed to sit there and guard my loyal subjects.

My question is this: Is there a more effective way to deter or protect this generational home from this faggot cat? I'm trying to stay away from smiting it down.
>>
Cute bird! I love his wings.=)

<3 Thomas
>>
>>2436764
when my cockatiel sees a mirror he becomes extremely interested, he also becomes VERY mean to me when near a mirror for some reason
>>
File: IMG_0107.jpg (68KB, 500x477px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0107.jpg
68KB, 500x477px
>>2427689
>tfw birds are fucking great but you'll never have the time, money, or mental ability to deal with constant screaming necessary to own one
Seriously, though, how do y'all deal with the noise?
>>
>>2441904
antifreeze, snail bait, rat poison, or a box trap if you're a pussy. or, probably a better idea long term as prevention is always better than treatment, you could put some sort of gate or fence around it. somehow. shouldn't be hard since birds will be able to fly through or over most things. maybe something like a tomato cage but wider.
>>
>>2441935
Give it their own room. You get used to the noise after a while, though.
>>
>>2441943
OR
Knife + proximity = good times

It's not a bloodbath if you can't soak your head in it.
>>
>>2441943
>>2441951
i mean i could snipe the damn thing across the street with a gun back from the days when I played airsoft, but I'm not looking to kill it. I like the fence idea, but I'm not sure how I'd set it up given the location of the nest
>>
>>2441951
You sound like somebody who's never even tried to even restrain a cat before. And catching up to one is an entirely different story, as is going to jail for animal cruelty when your neighbors hear their cat screaming and investigate. Also,
Knife + Proximity = infected wounds, cat scratch fever, rabies, toxoplasmosis, etc. Good times indeed if you're into that sortof thing, though. Go for it, anon.
>>
>>2441965
You can just use a bear trap to restrain it tho. Also gloves for the scratches thing, but only if they don't fit.
>>
>>2441904
Live animal trap -> then take it to the pound
>>
UPDATE

>>2437334
Little Raven

>>2437338
>>2437339
Laughing Kookaburra

>>2437342
Australian Magpie. Fuck these things.

>>2437480
this

>>2439511
Mew (Common) Gull. Fledgeling begging for food.

>>2440014
cute

>>2440590
Red-tailed Hawk

>>2440783
Location? Gull sp.

later
>>
So I have this female zebra finch who exists in her solitary confinement cage in my office. The problem with her is that she screams at the top of her lungs 24/7, she only shuts up when she has to eat. I guess she calls for her friends or someshit.

Now the question is if I buy her a girlfriend would they shut the fuck up, or I'll have two loud bitches (three including my boss) in my office?
>>
>>2442131
Definitely buy at LEAST 1 more finch. They are social birds. Stop keeping it in solitary confinement.
>>
>>2440407
>>2442102
Missed one noob.

Thought tbqh I hate guessing captive falcons cause they all got weird. This one says gyr/peregrine to me but if it has like lugger in it or some weird shit or was like 1/8 sales 3/8 gyr 1/2 prescribe that would just be par for the course and my hybrid ID skills just aren't good enough.
>>
>>2442380
s/sales/saker/
>>
>>2442380
s/prescribe/peregrine/
>>
What are some good bird toys to buy? Was thinking of getting some stuff off Amazon.
>>
There's a young seagull that I think has been abandoned at a pond not far from where I live (still inside the neighborhood). Should I go and feed him some bread or would that be a bad idea?
He's been there for around 2 weeks now?
>>
>>2442380
I don't cover captive birds. Fuck all faggots that imprison them.
>>
>>2439383
Yeah but you'd have to start bagging roadkill like a hobo
>>
>>2442540
It would help to know what kind of bird you have but really I think you'd know this question better than anyone else, you'd know what your bird likes better. I try to switch up toys but try to make sure I have enough essentials in there. Oh and something with a mirror and bell. My bird loves mirrors and bells
>>
>have male budgie
>he steps up for millet only
>rarely lets me touch him
>1/76 times he lets me scratch his neck
>tried last night and he lunged angrily at me more the first time
>eats at the top of his cage and sings alone
>when I try to bring him out of the cage he hops off my finger quickly
>when I try to bring him away from his cage he flies back or panics alone

I feel bad because I wanted a friendly bird I could chill with and now I just have a grouchy little shitstain.

Oh well. I still love him. I just wish our relationship was different.
>>
>>2443285
I have three budgies and my third is exactly like that. She's only comfortable sitting on my shoulder when the other two birds are as well. Thing is she loves to preen my hair and beard but she's just so fucking timid.
>>
File: IMG_20170729_032339628.jpg (883KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170729_032339628.jpg
883KB, 1920x1080px
Recently got this sweet beeper IRN.
It's three months old and I've had it for a day so far, it's doing pretty well.

I've reared two tiel's from the same age before, anyone have advice for rearing these guys? I've read up quite a bit but there's not a whole lot of resources on them.

Also I wear various lotions, and the Buddy likes to nibble on my face, I also have a habit of rubbing my face against birds, however I can't find anything going into detail about birds and lotion. I live somewhere pretty dry and if I don't take care of my skin It starts to look awful, but this sweet thing takes priority.
>>
>>2428285
Vacume seal, and maybe freeze if you think it's necessary. I'm not expert but I don't think most people head that warning.
I just make sure the bag is closed and the contents stay clean. There are places that sell mix your own bird food where the stuff is in bulk and exposed to open air, so I'd imagine it's not a huge deal.
>>
>>2433944
>Hello, are birbs cute and interactive?
Yes, before long you'll probably start cooing after pigeons and thinking about getting a back yard chicken like the rest of us are.
>How easy do they tame?
It really depends. Some birds are easy others aren't. Sometimes the owners just suck.
>Or will they just peck me and shit everywhere?
Yes they'll nibble on you and shit everywhere but you don't care.
>What good birb to start?
I think the term starter bird is bad. Are there starter dogs?
Spend a lot of time at a pet store that's ran by actual humans and learn. Play with some of them and ask questions, and you'll be ready to take care of whatever breed you want after a while. Assuming you have the time.
Cockatiels are considered the safest start. Affectionate, typically not super nippy and relaxed. Budgies and etc too.
>>
>>2434090
If you're a NEET and can spend all day with him outside of the cage, then yeah.
Look around at various pet stores. Sometimes you can find a great one that's on sale.
>>
Has anyone successfully trained, or tamed any sort of bird to follow them around or in public safely without them just wanting to fly away? I guess I just want a best friend shoulder parrot..
>>
>>2443483
Bond super close with an affectionate bird and they'll stay on you pretty well.

HOWEVER they sometimes fly away when they're scared of things like loud noises, or strong winds. Anything that could freak them out.

Also there's nothing stopping a bigger bird from swooping down and scooping up the precious beeper.
At least you have a chance with a leash.

My brother and I used to walk around and even ride bikes with our tiel's on our shoulders for long periods of time. They only flew away a few times, to the ground because of strong winds and clipped wings. I personally wouldn't risk it now after someone pointed out the Hawks in the area.
Keep them safe
>>
>>2443483
My birb loves me and comes back when I call. He gets bored in the wild because he's not near his toys or me. However, he will get "spooked" into flying either by his own species suddenly flying overhead screaming or by a 'harassing' bird species chasing him off. I have once had to coax him down from a massive pine tree when he caught a gust of wind. Was the highest he'd ever been and he was notably nervous about coming down but I eventually coaxed him (while I was pretending to harass his bell toy).

He is a lorikeet, and as i've seen they are very fearless and intelligent compared to other pet species. I don't think he would just fly endlessly out of fear like other species might. He actually has more of a "fight" complex in some defensive situations.

That said, I never miss a wing clipping session nowadays because I don't want to risk losing him outside. The only reason he got out in the previous scenarios is because it was around the time when he was due for a wing clip but I hadn't gotten around to it (outdoor cage).
>>
>>2442131
Probably quiet down but won't be silent. If you wanted a quiet pet you shouldn't have gotten birds. Finches are very social and should be in the company of other finches
>>
>>2443285
all the budgies i've ever seen are cunts
>>
>>2444241
Even my nicest budgie is a dickhead but none of them ever bite anyone.
>>
>cockatiel will happily step up and sit on us, but only to get back to his cage
>attempts to make him step up in the cage frighten him
>he still flies out sometimes though, if he can't see anyone for a while
Is this a normal stage in development? Like, can I expect him to overcome this fear of the house with time.
>>
File: IMG_5679.jpg (1MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5679.jpg
1MB, 2592x1936px
Anyone know what mutations my cockatiel has?

More photos in the link
http://imgur.com/a/HodrT
>>
File: IMG_5656.jpg (799KB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5656.jpg
799KB, 2592x1936px
>>2443483
Even if the bird is very tame, that is very unsafe. If you want to take the bird out, use an aviator harness. You can also train parrots to free fly, but that is a very high level of training.
>>
>>2444540
Plus Hawks can literally decide to take your bird in less than a second
>>
File: IMG_4950.jpg (251KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4950.jpg
251KB, 1200x900px
>>2444547
Even larger parrots like macaws have been attacked by birds of prey, though they are more difficult to kill compared to smaller birds like conures. I don't think cockatiels or budgies are suitable for free flight.
>>
>>2444484
Pearl. Possibly pied pearl, but I'd lean more towards just pearl.

Lovely 'tiel by the way.
>>
File: IMG_5526.jpg (192KB, 2048x1360px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5526.jpg
192KB, 2048x1360px
>>2444587
I was thinking cinnamon pied pearl, no idea. She and my whiteface male had a chick with white down so im trying to figure out what the chick will look like.
>>
One of my chickens got killed by a hawk today. I'm gonna blast it in its face next time I see it, but what's a good way of discouraging / preventing future attacks? Would a trained dog work?
>>
>>2444633
A trained dog would certainly help. Covered housing would be good too, even if just a small one for at night.
I love Hawks but fuck that one.
>>
>>2444471
Not a trained expert but I've reared two tiel's and currently rearing an Indian ringneck.

Take the dweeb out of the cage, and spend all the time with it as you can. Whisper and talk to it in a sweet voice, feed it millet or noodles and with enough time it'll open up.
I'd recommend just gently Grabbing the bird to get it out of the cage while saying sweet things. It's kinda mean but the result is best for the bird too.

I've never had really had a problem with it, this Indian ringneck learned how to step up properly, became a lot more comfortable with my hands and even started making sweet coo-like noises and etc to me in a day and a half after being bought. The tiels took less than a week to a week if I remember but I was pretty young.
Just pour your heart out to the bird, give lots of physical affection and it'll open up.

Even if you manage to get it to sit next to you or on your lap, it's a great step.
For the finger perching if you don't know already, put your finger against their breast, and once you get them to step up, repeat with the other hand, like a ladder and repeat it several times throughout the day, and say sweet things as a reward. They'll probably catch on pretty quick.
>>
File: 72 cockatiels.jpg (21KB, 600x315px) Image search: [Google]
72 cockatiels.jpg
21KB, 600x315px
>>2444603
>tfw no cockatiel gf to scout the area for enemy snipers and spot your shots
>>
Could it ever be safe to have a bird and a cat living together?
>>
>>2444739
Yes, as long as there is never, ever, ever, EVER unsupervised contact.
Look on YouTube of people with birdos and cattos coexisting
>>
File: chickies.jpg (312KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
chickies.jpg
312KB, 1000x750px
These are my chickens, or were, because yesterday a coyote grabbed the fattest white one and the rooster in the middle of the fucking day. There was a trail of feathers leading into the woods and me and some bros are heading out there today to find the little bastards that did this. Our biggest, fattest chickens, gone.

RIP Madam and Ted. How do you guys protect your birbs?
>>
>>2444968
>How do you guys protect your birbs?
Get a donkey or a largish dog.
>>
>>2444675
There are much more efficient ways to tame and train birds.... clicker training is very good and yields results very quickly without unwanted side effects.
>>
>>2444968
build a wall
>>
File: 1flock.jpg (48KB, 518x388px) Image search: [Google]
1flock.jpg
48KB, 518x388px
>>2444968
This guy >>2445157 is basically right. I don't know your setup but it sounds like you are either

a. living deep innawoods
b. have little to no fence
c.a good sized property where such a thing can happen and go unnoticed

I live on an acre in the country but have neighbors that live close by and there are houses here and there, people shoot their guns and do all kinds of shit so even though there are likely coyotes in my region I don't ever see them in my immediate area anyway. My chickens always stay in a fenced in area unless I let them in the front yard, and when I do that I stay with them until I put them back. Here's my flock minus the jailbirds, sorry about your chickens. They are some of the coolest and funniest critters ever.
>>
>>2445034
Love and affection > clicker noise and treat
If the birds not comfortable with them yet, how's clicker training going to help? Oh yessssss, I'm not a scary giant thing I have a thing that goes click, and then you get a noodle.

Clicker training is great but I don't think that's what the two need right now until the bird opens up. I could be wrong though.
>>
No pictures, sorry guys but I really need help. My bird has been landing pretty hard after his wings were clipped recently and im seeing some bright red under his wing. It isnt liquid though, it looks like its inside. Im a first time owner so im a little worried about it. Should I get him checked or is it not a big deal?
>>
File: IMG_6967.jpg (289KB, 1512x2016px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6967.jpg
289KB, 1512x2016px
i havent posted on /an/ in 7 years, but here is my cock wearing a hat
>>
>>2445288
isolate him (if he's with other birds) and make sure he doesn't have to fly to perch. make sure he is warm and has easy access to food/water. after that its just a matter of being vigilant and patient.
>>
>>2445292
is he sick? he seems fine. hes chirping and playing with his toys like usual.
>>
File: IMG_5514.jpg (717KB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5514.jpg
717KB, 2592x1936px
>>2445281
What us humans perceive as love and affection may not translate to the birds. Holding the bird against its will and pressing against its chest for stepping up is not a mutual agreement between owner and bird. This can lead to fear of hands, which is common: birds being tame but scared of hands.

With clicker training, owner and bird are speaking the same language and coming to an agreement, even with birds that are afraid of their owners.

eg:

1.human approaches bird
2. bird shows fearful body language
3. human stops immedietely and waits
4. bird calms down
5. click and walk away.

The reward in this case is the human walking away, showing a respect for the birds wishes. Never force your bird to do what it does not want to do. Come to an agreement through clicker language.

Love and affection is not mutually exclusive to clicker training. Training in itself is a bonding experience.
>>
I recently adopted a qt3.14 budgie from my neighbor. Neighbor took it from his mother who couldn't care for her anymore. I feel bad for the birdy. My neighbor didn't take great care of her, left her alone in a secluded room. Can I get some advice?
I'm noticing she has bad moults. She'll lose feathers in one spot, then they'll grow back, notice another feather-less area, they grow back, etc. The small feather re-growths with blood in them are bothering her, and she accidentally scratched one open recently. Other than her patches of excessive moulting, she still plays with her toys, sings, has normal droppings, etc.

What can be causing this odd moulting pattern and can I do anything? Any at-home remedies to soothe the itchy feather re-growth?
She only eats seeds and has flat-out refused to eat the pellets/fruits/vegetables I've offered. So can it be a nutrition issue? Dry budgie skin? I can go out and buy a mineral block for her or something.
Also, I doubt its mites. I had a budgie with mites before and it looks nothing like it.
>>
File: IMG_2522.jpg (735KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2522.jpg
735KB, 1920x1080px
>>
File: IMG_2524.jpg (699KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2524.jpg
699KB, 1920x1080px
>>
>>
File: IMG_2501.jpg (194KB, 1000x895px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2501.jpg
194KB, 1000x895px
>>
File: IMG_2506.jpg (203KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2506.jpg
203KB, 1920x1080px
>>
>>2445315
I see your point.
I'll definitely try it that way the next time I find myself with a scared birb.
I've been pretty lucky with my mini flock, they've all been quick to trust and learn.
>>
>>2445355
Really nice
>>
File: IMG_5646.jpg (1004KB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5646.jpg
1004KB, 2592x1936px
Four eggs, only one survived. Had to give it assisted hatching as it got stuck in the shell due to low humidity. First time parents doing a good job.
>>
File: birb.webm (3MB, 530x784px) Image search: [Google]
birb.webm
3MB, 530x784px
Wild bird that apparently doesn't afraid of anything.
Likes to be pet, except when he's eating, and shit everywhere.
Had to stop feeding it because he likes to cause a ruckus and i live in a condominium.

Pretty sure it's a hooded crow, but it's my first time identifying a birb

>>2445426
>Four eggs, only one survived
>First time parents doing a good job
Is the survival rate for birds that low?
Cute bird tho
>>
>>2445426
Wait a week or two and start raising those birds yourself
>>
>>2445297
he's probably not sick, just has bruising. you wanna put him in the best environment to recover so there arent complications with the wing later. treat it like hes sick.
>>
>>2445470
Il be keeping an eye on the chick and I will intervene if parents are not doing well. Will handle chick regularly so it gets used to people.
>>
File: chigginz.jpg (310KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
chigginz.jpg
310KB, 1000x750px
>>2445181

Yeah, I live deep innawoods, family owns about 14 acres of wilderness. We hadn't built a fence yet to see if we can get away with free ranging them, but I see now we'll need SOMETHING. What do you recommend for fencing? Can I get away with wood posts and chicken wire? Also should I get a herding dog? Maybe a shepherd of some sort?
>>
>>2430737
There's also a lot of parakeets in Suburban London as well. Apparently an escaped breeding pair managed to get free and establish a colony.

They're classified as a naturalised parrot apparently and I see a bunch in my garden a lot.
>>
>>2445725
daw
I kind of want wild parakeets
>>
File: 2jack.jpg (41KB, 518x388px) Image search: [Google]
2jack.jpg
41KB, 518x388px
>>2445631
If you're in an area with animals like coyotes and raccoons then chicken wire might not be enough. Consider welded wire or chain link, possibly a kennel of some sort, idk how big they make them but you can probably make your own. Maybe use some cattle panels and the wood posts, maybe a wooden fence, pretty much anything besides only chicken wire. It's just not very strong and if its not in a secured/isolated area it can be broken by bigger animals if they can get to it. As for dogs I don't really know much about that, I know there are breeds that have been raised to help around the farm doing various tasks but not much else.
>>
File: IMG_3828.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3828.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>2444968
I taught my dogs to chase any birds or animals other than my chickens. I live on a lake and let my girls free range all day long. We have a number of bald eagles, golden eagles, raccoons, red tail hawks, etc that would prolly enjoy my chickens. But my dogs keep other animals out of the yard plus my girls are fighters. Why're literally a gang. I've seen them attack squirrels and crows. My baby Pearl was attacked by a hawk and fought back and lived with just a cut on her foot.

I'd suggest either teaching your dog to watch after them or get an emu. I know a lot of people down south who get emus to protect their flock because they're so friendly with people but fiercely protective and can fight off bobcats.
>>
File: 1rose.jpg (42KB, 518x388px) Image search: [Google]
1rose.jpg
42KB, 518x388px
>>2445838
wtf my birds are lazy faggots they never chase squirrels. they just dont give a shit I guess
>>
> Have two cocks
> Planning on building a cage to upgrade

What would be good dimensions if I'm planning on getting one or two more cockatiels?
>>
File: IMG_0126.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0126.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>2445726
I'll try and grab a pic whenever I see one. They were talking about culling them a while back but I'm not sure if that happened.

Have a crappy pic a of a Robin I saw today
>>
>>2428348
WHERE CAN I GET ONE OF THOSE CROCHET BIRDS?
>>
>>2433340
Yeah that will actually work
>>
File: pretty birb.png (534KB, 396x567px) Image search: [Google]
pretty birb.png
534KB, 396x567px
>>2445353
It's the same anon here. I found an avian vet, and hope to bring her in tomorrow or thursday.

From looking at feather-loss pictures, it looks like a very mild case of the psittacine beak and feather disease, just not affecting her beak. Her flight and tail feathers are intact, it's just the back of her neck.
Anyone have to deal with this before? How was it managed? I've isolated her a couple weeks ago when I thought she was having the bad moult, so I hope the other birds are ok. I also recently snuck in tiny pieces of pellets to keep her strong, and she ate them, so I tricked her into eating pellets finally!
pic related is the qt.
>>
File: IMG_4747.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4747.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>2445855
My girls are fucking kick ass. They'll gang up on the small birds and attack them. I had them imprint on me at two days old so now at a year old they follow me around the yard as I do things. They also come when called and hangout with me when we have big barbecues. So it'll be literally the dogs AND chickens at our feet begging for food.
Pic is of my dog Bella and Peach the chicken
>>
File: 1squaky.jpg (70KB, 518x388px) Image search: [Google]
1squaky.jpg
70KB, 518x388px
>>2446032
Oh yeah mine always come to see me when I go outside OH SHIT THERES THE GUY WITH THE FOOD. But even when I don't have any food for them they always come say high and follow me around the yard wherever I go. had my oldest 5 chickens for 2 years now and 3 hens for one year.
>>
>>2440674
What's involved with keeping a birb of prey? How much time to do spend training them?
>>
>co-worker saved baby owl when nest is destroyed
>its parents apparently nowhere to be seen
>co-worker takes it in
>he makes a nice pen for it
>feeds it small mice that are meant for lizards/snakes
>helps it grow up
>finally the day to let it go
>sad farewells
>apparently, the owl still likes to return to his house just to check in

I want an owl bro. I didn't think you could raise an owl, and expect it to survive in the wild.
But damn are baby screech owls the cutest things ever.
>>
>>2446102

Keep in mind this is all apocryphal, but

>they will never love you, will probably barely come to tolerate you, and always been in a state somewhere between "slightly annoyed" and "murderously furious at everything"
>licensing is expensive and time consuming, someyimes taking up to two years
>you're not raising a pet, you're not keeping an exotic animal, your career is now taking care of this birb
>depending on species they require a habitat ranging from the size of a largeish tool shed to a small bedroom
> they NEED to fly, and they NEED to hunt.

Gorgeous creatures, but they really dont belong with us, imo.
>>
>>2443359
Cute bird. Is it some sort of rose-ringed parakeet?
>>
File: sakhalin-zoo.jpg (104KB, 550x412px) Image search: [Google]
sakhalin-zoo.jpg
104KB, 550x412px
>>2446114
>>2446102
I've dealt with rehab birds of prey, we never gave them live things to hunt in fear that the live things will survive and become pest things. But otherwise yeah that's pretty much it, except we had much larger enclosures. something as big as pic related for a pair but with much less visibility to the outside to reduce stress.
>>
>>2428285
i have a huge plastic container i fill with bird seed and keep in the freezer. seems to work fine for me and my dad who has had birds even longer than i.
>>
>>2428616
i wouldnt feed my birds vinegar at all, but i have done no research. you should be giving them fresh veggies and not preserved ones anyway anon.
>>
>>2433460
if i had that roomate i would straight up report him for animal abuse and have him locked up. what a total faggot he must be.
>>
>>2434090
im going to 3rd getting a bigger cage. i found a cage meant for large parrots on craigslist for 20 bucks and put my parakeets in there.
>>
>>2446118
He/she is an Indian ringneck parakeet.
The rings pop up if they're male and it'll be roughly a year until that time.
>>
I'm considering a Budgie because I'm alone in an apartment for the first time in my life and I get lonely. Would a Budgie do well in an apartment? I never come to this board, but you guys seem cool
>>
File: IMG_2952.jpg (451KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2952.jpg
451KB, 1280x960px
>>2446098
I'm down to seven girls after my favorite chicken Satan died :'( she was so cool shed just perch on my shoulder and get scratches under her beak
>>
>>2446742
i would get two at the least so they dont get lonely when you got to work.
>>
File: 3goldilocksandphoebe.jpg (253KB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
3goldilocksandphoebe.jpg
253KB, 2592x1944px
>>2446776
rip santana chicken

here is chicken nesting and her sister came in and said

WHATS ALL THIS LOVE I THINK ILL HAVE A GO
>>
>>2446114
But i want to own one because it is so cool!
>>
>>2446114
Red-tails:

They never love you because they do not have the capacity to love except for in a sexual / pair bonding way. Being ignored is the best anything that isn't a mate can hope for, for the most part. That being said they tolerate people quite well as long as you man them well and aren't beating them like you beat a child.

Mood is usually "chillax", or "stare at this mildly interesting thing", or "stare in another direction because it's been a while since I looked in that direction", unless you didn't listen to me and fucked up the manning process. They get excited when they think food time is near; this also applies to hunting time. They get angry if they think you're stealing their food or holding out; watch out cause that shit can hurt. They get restless around 2 in the afternoon.

Most expensive parts are mews ($1-2k) and gas money (varies). License is like $150 for 5 years here. That's like a couple tanks of gas, pretty cheap. Apprenticeship is 2 years, but you get a bird from the get-go.

Pet vs. "hunting partner" or whatever your preferred nomenclature is semantics exploited by falconers for political reasons. Whatever you call it, it will be 15-45min if not hunting (sometimes 0 if they're fat and need to skip a day, it can be flexible) and 2 hours plus on hunting days, which should be 4 days per week or more during the winter. Lot of work during hunting season, need a job that works with a hunting schedule.

Need to fly and hunt ... except during summer when that is inconvenient and might fuck up the new feathers, but you should keep saying you "need to fly" for political reasons.
>>
>>2446800
Then find a falconer nearby and go hunting. That is the first step. That is how you will learn, not from some dank ass Bavarian beet-beating board.
>>
What's a good diy cage cleaning solution?
>>
>>2446867
I like to use rubbing alcohol personally
>>
>>2447008
Not him, but would that work well on furniture? My bird took a stealth dump on the back of a couch that I just noticed
>>
>>2447109
If it's a large bird, I would use it than finish it off with some soap and water.

Also, what bird do you have?
>>
File: 20170803_195724.jpg (3MB, 2322x4128px) Image search: [Google]
20170803_195724.jpg
3MB, 2322x4128px
Found a hawk chick fallen out of its nest. Nest is too high up to put it back. Fed it raw chicken in small pieces and water from a syringe. Keeping it for now and calling the local ornithologist society in the morning. Did I dun good?
>>
>>2447118
Cockatiel, said present wasn't coming out of the couch fabric well with a damp paper towel
>>
>>2442000
Or just throw it as far as you can once you catch it
>>
>>2446867
white vinegar works very well. Cuts through the bird shit easily.
>>
does anyone else's bird get really mad whenever you whistle

my parrot fucking hates hearing me whistle, he sounds almost offended when i do it
>>
>>2447147
If that was actually a hawk chick, then yes.

Except what you have is a swift. From the white face it looks like a Common Swift. They eat high-flying insects, not meat.

Not picking on you specifically, but why do half the people who find baby birds assume it's a hawk chick when it looks nothing like a hawk?
>>
>>2447372
>If that was actually a hawk chick
Nope, I'm retarded. That's a sickly swift. This summer was cold and short, so it probably did not get enough food too. Doubt it'll live much longer, even with care.
>Not picking on you specifically, but why do half the people who find baby birds assume it's a hawk chick when it looks nothing like a hawk?
It's the beak and eyes. Predator beak + sharp eyes -> it's the first bird of prey, that comes to mind
>>
>get a toy with a bell for my bird
>he manages to break the toy so the bell comes off
>seems to enjoy his new bell much more than the orignal piece so not a problem
>most of the time, however, he simply grabs it and throws it to the floor
>I've gotten used to picking it up whenever I hear the beel and bring it back to him
>after a whhile, notice that he throws the bell and uses the excuse to ask for some playing time and get attention

Have I been Pavloved by my bird?
>>
>>2447666
Likely. Mine throws things be likes on the floor too, but then proceeds to walk on the floor and move the thing around it.
>>
Has anyone here had experience with a Hyacinth Macaw? I'm thinking of buying one.
>>
File: IMG_20170804_110621.jpg (1MB, 1920x2560px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170804_110621.jpg
1MB, 1920x2560px
Post your cock mates
>>
>>2447844
see
>>2445829
>>
File: 1493348317064.jpg (57KB, 645x773px) Image search: [Google]
1493348317064.jpg
57KB, 645x773px
>>2447622
>Doubt it'll live much longer, even with care
iktf bro
>>
>>2448659
Actually, it's doing a lot better now. Standing on its feet and not lying on the stomach, actively staring at me and even tried to escape its box today. Still not in flying condition though.
>>
>>2448678
That sounds good, glad to hear it anon.
Thread posts: 325
Thread images: 93

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.