[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ferrets

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4

File: tumblr_novav8ZcXZ1uwypb4o1_500.jpg (37KB, 500x325px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_novav8ZcXZ1uwypb4o1_500.jpg
37KB, 500x325px
Are ferrets fine with small apartments and no outdoor access other than on leash?
>>
Yes, but you'll regret the stank.

And man, will it stank in your apartment. I'm not even talking about the musky ferret aroma, I mean the fact that they are shitting machines. Their shit is soft and extremely smelly.

Trust me, I owned and bred them for years. Best pets on earth, but there is no way I would keep them in an apartment.

Mentally, they will be fine, its you that will have the issues.
>>
>>2427496
So you think they stink too much for my flatmate to tolerate?
>>
>>2427505
bitch, they'll stink too much for you to tolerate
>>
>>2427540
I'm adaptive and can tolerate the worst, my flatmate though not so much.
>>
>>2427544
If you came here to ask us if it's a bad idea to do this, trust us, it is.

If you came here for us to tell you that you can pull it off, too bad.
>>
they don't smell as bad as cats

that said, i wouldn't get one
>>
I have 3 ferrets right now.

Biggest pointers I can give:

They dont smell bad if you feed raw/super good kibble/freeze dried raw. I use a grain free high protein cat food, can't remember the name -- 7 pound bag is like 10 bucks I think.. Lasts me like.. 3wks-1 month for 3 ferrets of different ages. Never use Marshall brand ferret food. Wysong Ferret Epigen 90 is a good but high priced kibble as well.

Invest in a good cage (Ferret/critternation or something similar) I've found used ones on craigslist and FB sales for dirt cheap.

Spend a lot of time litter training & looking into different litter boxes & litters (I use a tall dishpan with an entry way cut into it, and yesterday's news litter. 10$ per 25 pound bag on amazon is best place to buy.) I clean my 2 boxes like 2x per day.. Sometimes more sometimes less depending on if Im around or not -- Rarely have problems with smell. I also keep a cheap ass air purifier in the room cuz we smoke sometimes in the room. Helps a lot.

They don't NEED to go outside at all, honestly.. But if you do, use a good harness. Investing into a ferret-specific playpen isnt a bad idea if you dont like them free roaming your apt.

If you can avoid buying a Marshall bred ferret, please do -- Try to go thru a private breeder. All Marshall ferrets have an ear tattoo. Lots of Marshall brand ferrets have bad health.
>>
Also -- Check out the Holistic Ferret group on FB. Its a super good ferret group.
>>
>>2427664
Cats don't smell like anything. You're probably thinking of dogs.
>>
>>2427700
>shit and piss in a box in your house smells like nothing
toxoplasmosis in action
>>
>>2427703
That's the shit and piss. The cat itself is neutral scent.
>>
File: 20170630_221723.jpg (2MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
20170630_221723.jpg
2MB, 2592x1944px
>>2427474
Wow, I am disgusted by all this ferret hate.

OP it is a good idea. Clean their poop regularly to keep away odor, like with any pet. They are only poop machines until they areally a year old. Kits poop every two hours and adults every 4 hours.

Other ways to keep away smell:
Don't feed them anything not high in protein. Like a dog fed corn filled shit food, their skin will over produce oils and stink. Merric back country is what I feed mine. This will also lower chances of cancer and gland issues that develope from a diet high in starch food and corn and grains.

They eat 95% animal matter. In comparision dogs must eat 70% animal matter and cats must eat 80% animal matter. The only plant matter allowed in a ferret's diet in that 5% is what ever they would tear out of a prey animal's gut.

Don't bathe too often and never use dawn. Too many baths make their coat freak out and over produce oils to compensate and therefore increase odor.

When you bathe them, clean their fucking blankets. You would smell too if your stupid owner bathed you and then threw you right back in a cage filled with smelly unwashed bedding.

You don't need to walk them like a dog, and they won't give you the cold shoulder or act like a bitchy cat. They are always up to play and super curious. They are best described as toddlers on caffeine.

They sleep 12 hours and are most active in the morning and evening. So they won't stress or suffer mental abuse from lack of stimuli by being left alone at home for long hours. Best of all, they are true domesticated animals. They desire human companionship and they love their human so much, they will switch their sleep schedule so they can spend more time with you!

Books to check out
Ferrets for dummies
New Complete Guide to Ferrets by James Mckay.

Here are my two babies sleeping in a Santa hat they adore.
>>
>>2428332
cats smell like rancid oil (because no one washes them, ever) and the houses they live in smell like shit and piss

it's awful
>>
>>2428519
This is very true
Good luck getting a catfag to own up to it
>>
>>2428528
I'm a dog groomer and that reminds me of a dachshund I bathed before that came from a home where they had a severe cat hording problem. After 5 baths, it still smelled just as strong before.
>>
>>2428519
>>2428528
Only if you're a shitty owner. I've been in houses where they don't clean out the litterbox and it fuckin REEKS yeah. But if you tend to it, they don't smell like anything

naturally you won't actually believe this post because you're shitposting about cats in a ferret thread on a Taiwanese waterslide competition forum, so i'm saging
>>
>>2428519
My cats smelled like coffee. I kept a clean house too.
>>
>>2428517
Thanks for the informative post!

Also, would it be smart to invest in a air purifier?
>>
>>2427474
Yes but they like to hide in tight places and you really don't want to have them out unsupervised unless you're 100% confident in their housebreaking.

Like other anon said their shits smell horrible. It's a combination of the scent glands and their very high protein diet.
>>
>>2428830
Can't you just remove the scent glands like they do with skunks?
>>
>>2427703
>Letting your cat poop indoors

That's what a freshly turned flower bed is for.
>>
File: milkymatcha.jpg (46KB, 533x960px) Image search: [Google]
milkymatcha.jpg
46KB, 533x960px
>>2428517
This post is spot on. Every person I see complain about smelly ferrets feeds them Marshall brand which has a just plain weird formula. I feed Origen since it's 90% meat content, and not horribly expensive. Here's a good chart to pick out food with
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Ugt4k4JPUw8X-WDsxbbOIBUqIKkTubrkpyba4YsUeEg/edit#gid=0

>>2428829
Whatever you want. I have candles, but can go without fine assuming I clean the litter box daily.

>>2428830
The only commercial breeder in the states removes the stink glands before they're 8 weeks old. High protein diets don't just magically produce bad smells, and I guarantee those ferrets were eating a kibble with plant matter as one of the first ingredients and never supplemented with egg or raw feeding.

I've got 5 ferrets the clean up is a minor annoyance.
>>
>>2427703
That's why you dont leave the shit and piss in the box. You clean it out, retard
>>
>>2429147
>I guarantee those ferrets were eating a kibble with plant matter as one of the first ingredients and never supplemented with egg or raw feeding.
None of the kibble I feed has grain. My 2 frits smell like hell.

I'd bet your nose just doesn't work from being around them so much. I love my animals but fuck do they stink.
>>
>>2429175
Wash or swap out their cloth bedding once or twice a week.
Scoop the litterbox twice a day.
Even guests won't be able to smell them anymore.
>>
>>2428830
>It's a combination of the scent glands and their very high protein diet.
Most ferrets (Especially in USA) are descented & desexed.

Also, the better the diet, the lower the smell. Its kinda like how some people eat nasty & smell nasty, ya know? Not saying there's 0 smell. But it's not bad.
>>
>>2429175
>None of the kibble I feed has grain.
Not the anon you responded to, but.. Pea flour/potato etc is also bad -- not just grain.. Supplement freeze dried raw, and clean ur fuckin cage more..
>>
>>2429177
>>2429181
I wish I was a NEET that could sit home and clean litter boxes 10 times a day.

in real life people have things to do. If OP is moving into an apartment he probably also has things to do other than cleaning ferret shit all day.

realistically your advice is worthless.
>>
>>2429183
Realistically, I scooped the box before I took a shower in the morning and drove to work and then again in the evening.
If you can't tend to a pet twice a day, it isn't realistic to have a mammal one at least.
>>
>>2429183
Twice a day. Not 10. Just when you wake up and when you come home from work, that's literally it
>>
File: SB3jzw3.jpg (130KB, 930x1112px) Image search: [Google]
SB3jzw3.jpg
130KB, 930x1112px
>Removing scent glands
>mfw you're casually talking about butchering your pets

What the fuck kind of shithole countries do you live in where you regularly remove pieces of your pet? Jesus fucking Christ if you don't want a pet that smells don't get a fucking ferret in the first place. It's like getting a cat and complaining that it jumps.
>>
>>2429193
>>2429195
I have 2.
they shit 10-20 times per day and each tiny turd stinks up the entire 1500 foot house.

I already clean the litterbox once or twice every day, it makes no difference. The place reeks.

which doesn't bother me, but maybe you shouldn't be lying on the internet to strangers getting them to buy animals that probably won't work for them.
>>
>>2428519
they wash themselves you gay slut
>>
>>2428544
>After 5 baths, it still smelled just as strong before.
we've traced the smell, it's coming from inside the dog
>>
>>2429281
yes. i regularly smear saliva from my filthy, bacteria filled mouth that i never clean and call it a day
>>
>>2429280
Something is wrong. Are the stools actually loose?
I really don't know what to suggest other than a different litter (absorbant enough to quickly desiccate turds) and diet. Maybe keeping them in a room that vents outside?
My boys never stunk up an entire house except the time they caught the flu from me.
>>
>>2429257
So if you have a pet you don't get it neutered?
>>
>>2429312
>I really don't know what to suggest
I'm not asking for suggestions.

I am telling OP to ignore you faggots saying they don't stink.
>>
>>2427505
Yes, nobody would tolerate their smell in a small apartment. You'd be known as "that weird fucker that walks round stinking like shit"
>>
>>2427544
>I'm adaptive and can tolerate the worst
You think you can, but you won't, trust me.

Your apartment would be permanently and horrifically odorous. We're talking you wouldn't get the smell out without repainting the entire place and replacing all carpets.

You will permanently smell like a Ferret, as would everything in your apartment. Your clothes, your plates, your furniture, everything.

Nobody would visit, and nobody would associate with you on the street, as you would smell bad ALL OF THE TIME.

I am the guy that has owned and bred Ferrets for nearly 20 years. They are my favourite animal, and I would NEVER keep them in my house, let-alone an apartment.

Be warned.
>>
>>2427664
>they don't smell as bad as cats
You are insane.
>>
>>2428517
Nobody is hating Ferrets, they're being realistic.

I can tell that you're one of those people that smells bad and you probably don't even realise it.
>>
>>2429312
>Something is wrong
No it's really not. Ferrets shit, a lot.

If you're saying that yours shit once every 4 hours then they're fucking constipated.

Stop arguing your bullshit.
>>
>>2429280
What the fuck kind of food are you torturing them with? Jesus fucking Christ anon.

Switch ur food and use yesterdaysnews fresh scent.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.