[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cheetahs as pets/cheetah conservation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 181
Thread images: 55

File: IMG_7317.jpg (161KB, 680x1024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7317.jpg
161KB, 680x1024px
How do we save them /an/???

Personally, I want to have a small cheetah zoo/habitat, a breeding facility, more or less.
Something like Michael Jackson's neverland ranch, except just cheetahs and dogs
Maybe some elephants

You ever think cheetahs will be domesticated? Theyre like dogs, except they're cats
Seems like theyd be great pets, and they already can be, dispite being wild animals
>>
>>2425414
>You ever think cheetahs will be domesticated?
No
Aside from the questionable and accidental domestication of housecats, felines arent animals that can be domesticated.
>>
File: 4876876878.jpg (578KB, 1640x1365px) Image search: [Google]
4876876878.jpg
578KB, 1640x1365px
>nah buddy, just let them die out, they can't be domesticated !!!!!11111111111111

>>2425430

Have you ever observed cheetahs for a while?
There's literally no difference in behavior compared to house cat shits.
Cheetahs are just 5 times bigger, that's all. They even make the same fucking noises.
>>
>>2425454
Catfags fail to take responsibility as it is, do we really need 5X as large cats running around unsupervised?
>>
>>2425467
I think things would be alot different with a cat that size.
Domestic cats are small and ddont require much attention generally, cheetahs are fucking huge comparitively, and would need much more attention, if only for food/water/sustenance
A pet cheetah would be closer to a giant dog, and with rare exception, you wont see big dogs running around willy nilly doing whatever the fuck wherever
>>
>>2425511
You're probably right
>>
>>2425454
I'm not sure if I am ready for outdoor cheetah threads .
>>
>>2425414
>small
They don't like to fuck in small spaces, no idea how the artificial program is going though.

>You ever think cheetahs will be domesticated?
They seem to have a domestic event in the past. Appears to be doable, even with the limited gene pool.
>>
File: 1465269337520.jpg (76KB, 634x423px) Image search: [Google]
1465269337520.jpg
76KB, 634x423px
sup what's going on in here lol
>>
File: cheeto.jpg (110KB, 497x640px) Image search: [Google]
cheeto.jpg
110KB, 497x640px
cheetos are the only cats i really like
>>
>>2425454
>Cheetahs are just 5 times bigger, that's all. They even make the same fucking noises.
This is the problem. If normal "domesticated" cat behavior was seen in any animal bigger, it would be either considered wild and not suitable for a pet or it would be considered a nuisance and be put down.

Same with small shitty dog behavior (i.e. if a large breed were to act as shitty as one of the many ill-tempered small breeds, it would be immediately put down).

Size matters a lot.
>>
>wanting a big cat as a fucking house pet

More dangerous than any dog mate, would you consider having a dire wolf as a pet?
>>
>>2425414
>Theyre like dogs, except they're cats
fuck off. We already have domesticated dogs and cats. Having a single cheetah as a pet would be more expensive than ownong both.

>>2425454
>Have you ever observed cheetahs for a while?
>There's literally no difference in behavior compared to house cat
just adopt a house cat then. Don't be a snowflake about it.
>>
>>2425872
>single cheetah as a pet would be more expensive than ownong both.
Im using shorthand to describe their temperment and behavior, theyre still a completely different animal with different qualities, and obviously itd be more expensive, its bigger.

I don't understand the hate. Someone had to decide to domesticate cats and dogs, and humans create new pet breeds for their enjoyment all the time. Domestic cheetahs would be fun pets and also preserve the species
>>
I would love to own a thirty acre ranch and have a pet cheetah.
>>
I got it OP! We'll meme cheetahs into domestication!

We did it with Trump, we can do it with cheetohs!
>>
>>2425414
>gene pool is already fucking small
>let's reduce it even further by removing those who aren't friendly enough
Great idea.
>>
>>2426097
why so passive aggressive? are you a gril?
>>
>>2426378
Or you can, you know, simply have some reproduce more than others and ending removing none.
>>
>>2426453
Anon isn't talking about population size.
Some cheetahs are so inbred they can accept organ transplants without rejection.
>>
Cheetahs are pretty chill. Cougars and Leopards are dicks though.
>>
>>2426459
>>2426453
Yeah, but wouldn't a proper breeding program take that into account , and accommodate that???
>>
>>2425414
Yeah, but 9/10 domesticated cats are complete dicks. Maybe 1/10 are bro-tier. Not to mention most are incredibly difficult to train.

Like 9/10 dogs (genetically, raised in a normal situation) are bro-tier, hence why we haven't murdered all the bigger ones. Not to mention I'd give the average dog equal footing with the average human in terms of an actual fight, making a certain amount of trust between both parties absolutely necessary for us to coexist.

Your average Cheetah will fuck the average human up nearly every time.

Can they be domesticated? Sure, but there are a ton of fucking risks involved. Getting dogs to be bros took thousands of years of domestication. Honestly I'd say work on housecats first, if anything.
>>
>>2426545
Yeah, I wouldn't trust the average housecat not to try to eat me if it was big enough.

Now if we could get cats with the maintenance of a cat but with the playfulness, affection, and loyalty of a dog, that'd be pretty sweet. Don't really see it happening though. It'd take a concentrated effort for several generations, and because they're small, humans will likely let them get away with being fucks forever.
>>
>>2426459
>so inbred they can accept organ transplant without rejection
Holy shit. I mean, if there was no genetic fuck ups and inbreeding was thanks to this safe, it'd have some crazy implications.
Anyway, can someone explain me how some exclusively inbred species can even survive (thinking about ants mostly and other bugs)
>>
Introduce cheetahs to Yellowstone Park in North America. Lots of open space, cool climate, plenty of wild game. I don't know why this isn't done yet in 2017 desu.
>>
>>2426545
I have never met a bro-tier dog, I have only met dogs who have been ruined by their owners. They have honestly made me hate dogs.
>>
>>2426890
They'd have to compete with wolf packs. Could they do it?
>>
>>2427121
>They'd have to compete with wolf packs. Could they do it?

Fuck no.
>>
>>2426890
they wouldnt survive the cold and wolves would destroy them
>>
>>2425414
>>
>>2425454
sys
>>
>>2425866
Cheetahs rarely attack humans.
>>
>>2425866
Cheetahs are way different from othee big cats
>>2426086
Same
>>2427128
>>2427121
>>2426890
Cheetahs are frail, and not exactly pack animals
A wolfpack would push a cheetahs shit in easy, not to mention that I think they'd have a hard time adapting to the different climate and game.

Maybe if you introduced a couple of cheetah families and then closely monitored them and gave them assistance when needed.
But otherwise it sounds like a disaster waiting to happen
>>
I thought cheetahs would be more likely than other big cats to tame to be pets because of how pussy they are. Even small, non-lethal injuries can fuck them from running, so they are more prone to run away rather than fight. The problem is it's harder to breed cheetahs in captivity than it is to breed a giant panda.
>>
>>2427121
>>2427121
They live in Africa. They already have to compete with lions, leopards, hyena packs and african mud dogs. Hell they even have to compete with the buzzards. In Yellowstone they'd compete with lynxs, bobcats, mountain lions, bears, wolves, birds of prey and coyotes. I believe that they can face the competition.

>Bison
Bison are very dangerous. The goat and deer that live in yellowstone do herd with the bison, but not all the time. A cheetah is not going to take down an adult bison. Nor do I have confidence that it can plough through a herd of bison for a single deer fawn. But cheetahs can survive on small game. 1-2 rabbits/ groundhogs per day is enough to sate an adult cheetah. But this is very similar to their situation in africa. Water buffalo, zebra, antelopes and wildebeast group together for seasonal migrations. Water buffalos are large and imposing enough that cheetahs never attempt to prey on them. Yet smaller prey such as wild boars are always an alternative if the cheetah can brave them. The ecosystem on these two continents functions very similarly to each other.

>>2427139
>the cold
There are subspecies of cheetah that are able to grow winter coats. I doubt that alone would be enough to face the coldest yellowstone has to offer. And the coldest is where the large herd animals migrate to during the winter. The wolves of yellowstone do get much more desperate and aggressive during this period. If even a small group of 2-3 wolves decide to stalk a cheetah they would win in endurance or force a mother cheetah to abandon her cubs. Coyotes are also notorious nest raiders. The cheetah would have to constantly be on the move and would have to abandon many kills. Things do look rough. I can't say with confidence that "t-they gonna make it boss!" but cheetahs are very hardy animals. Always the underdog. They are used to facing such adversary.

(1/2)
>>
>>2427255
(2/2)
>>2427174
Yet it has been done before. The wolf was reintroduced to yellowstone after almost a century of absence. Cheetahs aren't as numerous or as resourceful as wolves. Wolves can play ambush, they can straight up chase prey down and kill it or they can maim and stalk injured prey until they succumb to a wound. Cheetahs only have one approach. They go all in for a kill or go home hungry. Cheetahs do not use their jaws during sprints. For large prey they use their forearms to trip their prey then they deliver a powerfull neck breaking bite. Back on topic introduce cheetahs that know how to hunt. They would probably have to be human trained from birth to hunt or wild cheetahs that already know the laws of the jungle. If the first generation succeeds, as in they have a birthing population with climbing numbers, then introduce more cheetahs to the environment.

I'm honestly surprised nobody has mentioned camouflage. Cheetahs are not ambush predators yes but for such a vulnerable creature camouflage is an important defensive tool. Cheetah coats are much more saturated than yellowstones natural predators. It is possible that they may not blend in that well.

I know I just spent a lot of time debunking my own proposition but I have faith in these animals hardiness above all. I believe the cheetah has what it takes to survive yellowstone.
>>
>>2426053
>Domestic cheetahs would be fun pets and also preserve the species
same thing with javan rhinos, bears and other shiz. Someone decidedto domesticate foxes. It was abad idea. They're a symbol of snowflake furry autism.
>>
>>2425430
Cheetahs were domesticated since Antiquity, you mongrel.
>>
>>2427262
>I believe the cheetah has what it takes to survive yellowstone.

Cheetahs are kinda shitty predators in their own habitat.
>>
I want one but I'd be worried if it suddenly decided to grapple my hand or do other cat stuff on a large scale.
>>
They don't breed well in captivity.
>>
>>2428588
That's because nignog hyenas and lions steal their kills. Cheetahs are the most successful predators in terms of kill effectiveness and success in their hunts even over pack hunters. Ignoring the colder climate in Yellowstone during the winter, Cheetahs wouldn't be too far isolated from how they do in Africa.

They'd compete with bears, wolves, and mountain lions/cougars.
>>
Can cheetahs eat human beings?
>>
>>2428779
>Reply
leopards my man
>>
>>2425526
>do you have a moment to talk about jesus
>>
>>2428780
I guess little children and babies, but so can dogs.
>>
>>2428780
Can?
Yea. Most animals can.
Would they? Is it likely?
Doubt it.
>>
>>2425414
domesticated animals are domesticated because they werent enough of killing machines to make it on their own so we took care of them. undomesticated animals will kill you cause thats what they do. release your housecat or dog into the wild and it dies of starvation
>>
>>2426551
That's the whole problem, you mong. Any animal can be brotier as long as you socialize it early and right (shitbulls are kind of a genetic wreck, so I don't include them). Cats aren't "low maintenance", they're marketed that way. Thus, you get a shitty pet that hates you after you neglect it during its formative years. Why would you get loyalty and affection out of something you basically treated like a table lamp? It's the same reason why so many small dogs end up being shitters. They're bought as an accessory.
>>
>>2428779
>Cheetahs are the most successful predators in terms of kill effectiveness and success in their hunts even over pack hunters

African wild dogs are by memory the most successful pack hunters when it comes to land animals and spotted hyenas are usually cited as up to 75% while cheetahs are around 50%.

Wolves a fucking shit though.
>>
>>2429227
You are somewhat correct, the wild dog is definitely the most successful large predator of Africa, however the Cheetah is firmly in second place. The hyena stats are really wonky because they vary so wildly between the various preserves and Hyenas themselve3s do not always hunt in packs. They prefer solitary hunting or maybe in pairs at the most, despite the fact they only have a 25% or so success rate this way. Going at it in a pack would secure a rate of anywhere from 50% to 75% but unfortunately their society is so screwed up they prefer solo hunts. Guess that is what happens when the Matriarch is a dyke. It seems that when most online sites stat these hunting stat facts they only include the times Hyenas are in packs, only thing that explains the massive differences to me.

Anyway, one thing to keep in mind is that because of how super specialized the cheetah is in pure speed they can't even put a lot of energy towards eating after getting their prey. They have to rest first because that running starved their brain of oxygen, so logically a lot of animals have learned that when they see a cheetah run, they have to follow them for easy food. I have heard that depending on the area the cheetah only gets about 25%-50% of it's kills. So if I am not butchering percentage calculations here, one could say that the cheetah only manages to eat 25% of it's hunting attempts if unlucky
>>
>>2429335
Well. Maybe they're not shit at killin but they're shit at surviving.

>Anyway, one thing to keep in mind is that because of how super specialized the cheetah is in pure speed they can't even put a lot of energy towards eating after getting their prey.
>because of how super specialized the cheetah is in pure speed
>because of how super specialized the cheetah is
>because of how super specialized
>super specialized
Nigger. Cheetahs are doomed to go extinct. They wouldn't adapt outside of Africa,shit, they only inhabit some small portions of Africa. They don't inhabit the parts where the grass started growing taller because they can fucking go blind after a fucking eye injury.
>>
>>2427262
>Cheetahs are not ambush predators yes
They're sorta are, aren't they, only except of lunge they do a short-range sprint. But first they sneak up close until the distance is short enough.
>>
>>2429382
yeah, sadly it is a big reason why they are pretty low in numbers, they can only hunt in very specific conditions and locations. But on the flipside their success rate at hunting is so high that when you think about it, they don't exactly have that much lower rates of actually eating a kill then other predators who can only boast a 20%-30% success rate wioth their hunts.

I find them immensely amazing at how extremely specialized they are and yet they still exist. They have a level of specialization that goes well beyond even selective breeding, I find that very cool, sad but cool.

Also a bit of information to help others understand how crap they are against other animals, in order to help lower farmers killing them the governments began a program where they train and gfive the farmers special shepherd dogs. This dogs are trained to detect, bark and scare off cheetah immediately, thats right the cheetah can not take on a dog. They are not willing to take on ANY predator even if it could be a potential food source as well.
>>
>>2429335
Source on solo hunters out weighing clans?

As for cheetahs I imagine probably depends on the prey. I feel like cheetahs probably go after small animals rather than just antelopes as the likes to show since it's not as flashy.

I'm at work so I haven't bothered looking up sources.
>>
>>2429627
most of my sources come from national geographics, documentaries and plenty of trips to busch gardens and sea world to listen to Jack Hanna.
>>
>>2429623
>They are not willing to take on ANY predator
No shit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhgvxfIIA-M
>>
>>2425526
>around blacks never relax
even cheetahs know.
>>
why not just get a serval? they look similar but arent as big. apparently make decent pets. some hooker on youtube has a channel with loads of videos of hers. seems pretty nice tbqh
>>
>>2430176
>Angry kitty noises
>>
>>2430176
Those fucking nigger beta lanky faggot motherfuckers against that poor manlet.
>>
>>2430197
It's not the same
>>
>>2425414
>Seems like theyd be great pets
i dont see the point... they're illegal in the US to keep as pets anyways. can you feed it a dry dog/cat food or do they require pounds of raw meat every day?
>>
>>2430693
it is possible that if they were fully and truly domesticated one could create a specialized dry food for that that could be cheaply produced in great quantities. But that would require outright domesticating the cheetah on top of becoming a popular enough pet that new industries develop around them and proper mass production lowers prices of extremely new products.

In short this is incredibly unrealistic to happen short of a handful of really rich and eccentric bored people who decide to see if they can domesticate wild animals for the hell of it like what the Soviets did with the Silver Fox. Domestication is a science, and while it does not take as long as we use to think to occur, it still is tricky business and very expensive to care for the proper sized stock of animals.
>>
>>2430640
He's right. Servals are objetively better
>>
>>2431213
They're different
Not better
>>
>>2430702
If there was a concerted conversation effort like the one giant pandas have I could see it happening

With a bunch of money and what, 50 years? Thatd be enough time to mass breed and domesticate cheetahs wouldnt it?
Theyre chill enough animals already so id only take a few generations to domesticate them
The hardest part is breeding really, but theres nothing test tube cheetah babies cant fix
>>
File: IMG_7094.jpg (63KB, 700x379px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7094.jpg
63KB, 700x379px
>>
>>2432784
What a lovely kitty.
>>
>>2425527
based cheeto poster
>>
>>2425414
Back home my dad has a tamed cheetah; I've moved out since, but I was there first few years when it was growing up from a cub. I can thus answer some questions if interested.

But to the OP -- cheetah is not an endangered species by any means if you happen to be wealthy and actually want to make some breeding facility to help animals, focus on those which are actually in problems and about which no one is doing anything substantial yet. Some of such species are even cool looking. Just for example Sumatran/Javan rhino, Helmeted hornbill, or Sunda pangolin. Asiatic cheetah for that matter, but I don't think they are possible to get. African cheetah is fun to have as a pet, but don't kid yourself about being some sort of conservation savior.

Then the question is how to actually proceed, i.e how to obtain them, how to build it, etc. With that I could help, if you were serious by any chance. If you are in Europe, it's much more possible than in the US.
>>
>>2435073
To add, myself I am most concerned with the Helmeted hornbill. Quite newly they now have them in a zoo in Malaysia (Penang) but a related male and female, and they still intend to (in)breed them.

It is possible to legally get normal pairs for breeding from the wild and establish a sustainable group, which is what I would do if I had the money. The zoos and related governments are corrupted and uninterested, and do not provide much hope for actually solving these problems.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tmCIsSpvC8
>>
>>2425414
Why is their English name so ridicolous
>>
>>2429627
They love taking boar cubs (piglets?), fawn and I've seen documentaries of them going batshit over wild rodents. A serving of 1-2 rabbit sized meals everyday would be enough to sate an adult cheetah.

>>2435073
What was it like to grow up as the wife's son of a drug dealer?
>>
>>2435445
All my family is in the zoo business in some ways; my dad is a director of a zoo, so now the cheetah is mostly on display rather than being at home, though we do go play inside after hours.
>>
File: 35931737676_4ac5f7c237_o.jpg (1022KB, 866x1300px) Image search: [Google]
35931737676_4ac5f7c237_o.jpg
1022KB, 866x1300px
>>
>>2435073
I know that the asiatic sub species is in trouble but I havent reas enough about the differences between the sub species i need to do that
Im in the US though, California
>>
this thread makes me fucking upset
how can someone be this blind and ineducated about wild animals and think that it could be okay to have cheetahs as pets ?
they will fuck you up trained, just wait until fucking morons adopt some, some people are capable of making a lab agressive with their shit education
there will be hundreds of wild agressive cheetahs running around towns
cats are already a danger to environnement and native wildlife and you want to have animals that are 10 times larger (if we're talking about wheight), they would kill humans frequently
you believe they will not, but based on what ? animals that were taken care by professionnals ? wild animals in their natural habitat ?
you even want to have elephants ? "maybe" ? are you twelve ? taking care of such animals (elephants and cheetahs) without causing them pain and suffering needs help from professionnals in an approriate habitat, let alone in a "small zoo"
do you understand what conservation is about ? do you understand how animals behave in such situations ? hint : not as you think they will
The only explanation I can find for this moronic post is that it was written by a fucking child
you're talking about this as it was a little side project for "cute animaaaaaals !!!"
god damn I want to die now, /an/ is infested with retards today
>>
>>2436665
You just have no idea what you are talking about. As I mentioned above, we have had a tamed cheetah at home, from a small cub to adulthood.

There are tons of things that could be said about it, but shortly; they are different from other cats, being a bit close to dogs, not only physically (i.e the only feline unable to retract claws, the skull shape is different, etc.), but also mentally it is a bit closer to dogs.

They have never killed a human and have been pets for a very long time, even in ancient Egypt or old India.

People don't keep them now as much mainly because they are restricted legaly, and even then hard to get as cubs, and are expensive. Many people have lions and tigers because they are much cheaper, but legit dangerous. I don't think having a tiger or a lion is a mistake (at least for a laymen), but the cheetah is fine.
>>
>>2436718
made a mistake, meant to write: "I *do* think having a tiger or a lion is a mistake (at least for a laymen)"
>>
If you actually domesticated them, they'd most likely lose their spots.
>>
>>2436718
anecdotal evidence is not proof

what the fuck are you on about with your "being a bit close to dogs" ? that's not how evolution works
"the skull shape is different" woah you sure know your subject !
such meaningless details can't indicate how well cheetahs could be kept as pets
another clue at how you're ignorant is how you talk about cheetahs being "mentally" closer to dogs
there are numerous studies performed on dogs about their relation with humans
I will not take the time to explain to someone as stubborn as you every one of them, but it is clear that the empirical selection we have done on them throughout our history made them biologically and at the behavior level specialized in understanding us
consequently, thinking cheetahs are "mentally" closer to dogs is nonsense because they do not have underwent this evolutionary pressure
it is important to differentiate humanly percieved behavior and actual responses from the animal to human interaction
Morevover, there have been cases of cheeatahs killing people in the wild and in zoos, just research on google "cheetahs killing people"
and you totally ignored some of my points : their potential impact on this environnement and the way people will train them
having cheetahs as pets is retarded : people will always fuck up the way they train their animals, if trained at all, because they adopt an animal considered cute
there are enough people killed by dogs, animals that are were trained for thousands of years to serve us, there's no need to add more
talking about shitty owners, there will always be people who will also abandon cheetahs because they grow big and powerful, and guess what, we don't need hundreds of groups of wild cheetahs around cities
cats are already an environnemental disaster, they are killing billions of small wildlife (in the USA, 1.4 to 3.7 billions of birds and 6.9 to 20.7 billions of small mammals every year) and continue to be protected by humans, their number is still growing
>>
^nice bait, not gonna feed the troll more
>>
>>2436739
please remove yourself from the gene pool
>>
>>2436728
Why do you say that?
>>
In practice this is already happening, though it is being underlined by a reality where ppl just don't care about wilderness conservation anymore. Destroy the bottom level of the ecosystem and the top predators always die out. Ppl would rather make pet cheetahs then try to stop it. Our world is becoming a game of making new toys to be our playthings on shitpost forums and the worst part ppl will read this and they will meme it into greater reality
>>
>>2425414
The Mesopotamians and Egyptians both, tried to domesticate cheetahs on multiple occasions. They couldn't pull it off because cheetahs are extremely choosy for mate selection and require a huge amount of space(several miles) for mate selection to even be on the table.
In short they are not able to be domesticated.
>>
>>2429211
Not him but I never thought about this until you pointed out the fact that cats are actually marketed that way.
Good to know
>>
>>2436731
>we don't need hundreds of groups of wild cheetahs around cities
>cats are already an environnemental disaster, they are killing billions of small wildlife (
Not any of those previous anons, but the number of locations where a cheetah could truly survive if set free are VERY few in number. They would NOT be like normal cats at all in the city, too big and they are built for one thing. Speed, they could never hunt cheetah style in the average town or city. The only place in the US that cheetahs could potentially thrive in the wild is the Great Plains, which incidently is home to the Pronghorn who can outrun all current predatrs because it evlved it's speed in order to survive against the now extinct American cheetah.

I do overall agree this is a rather stupid idea to try and do it seriouslky in real life, but you are greatly underestimating how much effect domestication has on an animal mentally

>>2437185
I think it is possible, EXTREMELY hard and time consuming, but possible if someone really wants to put in that much effort and money. Still overall not a good idea.
>>
I mean aside from the lack of neoteny I'm sure they're plenty cuddly but I don't think I, or most people, have what it takes physically to take care of a cheetah

playing with a cat involves running and shit... but I don't really want to be running from a cheetah
>>
>>2439141
no
>>
I'll dump cheetah photos when I get home
>>
>>2436728
>I have no idea how evolution works
>>
Do you guys think you could take down an adult cheetah?
I bet I could, they look really frail.
>>
File: image.png (718KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
718KB, 1280x800px
>>2440654
>>
File: image.png (737KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
737KB, 1280x800px
>>2442167
>>
File: image.png (821KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
821KB, 1280x800px
>>2442170
>>
File: image.png (883KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
883KB, 1280x800px
We save them by becoming anthro cheetahs
>>
>>2442038
I bet you couldnt catch one
>>
>can [big animal] be domesticated
No.

Your housecat is domesticated. Sometimes it gets mad and gives you a slap or a hiss or a bite. That's alright because it's small and non-threatening.

Assume your tiger is domesticated. Sometimes it gets mad and gives you a slap or a hiss or a bite. You're fucking dead.

Large animals can never be pets.
>>
>>2442191
So horses aren't domesticated?
>>
>>2442191
i doubt a cheetah could kill you with one slap or bite. fully grown they're only as big as a large dog. yeah they could still kill you but a domesticated one isn't going to go apeshit on you and try to kill you.

the thread is about cheetahs, not tigers
>>
>>2442206
Horses are farm equipment.

Only retarded tweens and middle-aged single women fall for the "horses as pets" bullshit, and hey presto they're the ones who are most likely to get their face kicked in.

You can enjoy riding a horse and acknowledge its agency and personality and even have an affinity for a particular horse (much like a car enthusiast knows the personalities of his cars, and likes some better than others), but horses are dumb and dangerous animals no matter how much some people fawn over their nobility.

>>2442208
>but a domesticated one isn't going to go apeshit on you and try to kill you.
Dogs go apeshit on people and try and kill them pretty regularly. It's not common but it's definitely not unheard of.

If a DOG can do that, a cheetah certainly can - and cheetahs are way more killy than dogs are.

I like exotic pets, dude. I want a wolfdog at some stage in my life. They're cool and prestigious and unique. But they can't be treated the same way as regular pets for the simple reason that they're not. You wouldn't treat a nigger the same way you'd treat a white man for the same reason you can't treat a cheetah like a housecat - or a large dog.
>>
>>2442214
So cows aren't domesticated either? Goats? Sheep? No farm animals and livestock are domesticated?
>>
>>2442215
Okay, you got me. I misspoke.

>can [big animal] be a pet
No.

Let's be honest: that was the question OP was really asking.
>>
>>2442215
>herbivorous animals that underwent selection through thousands of years of domestication = predatory wild animals
>implying that bulls/rams aren't super dangerous
oh everything's clear now
>>
>>2442214
pet dogs that are brought up properly and socialized properly at a young age maul people at such a low occurrence that it's a non issue. the ones that kill people (usually) are the ones that are never trained. similar to how a black guy raised in the ghetto from a single mother would be a higher risk than one raised in the suburbs by two parents.

yes, the breed plays a role, but most of the problems can be completely dismissed by proper training. a couple news stories of someone's pet pitbull killing someone does not make it an issue worth being considered. there are probably hundreds of thousands of them in the US alone that go their entire life without issue. yes, pitbulls are the highest in maulings, but I would also argue that they're among the highest rate of dog breed that shitty people who shouldn't have a dog in the first place own.
>>
>>2442174
If I stayed male I'd love for this to happen to me. Dead serious
>>
>>2437158
>>2442037
Actually he is not COMPLETELY wrong. It is theoretical still but scientists now beleive the reason we can so easily have such a wide variety of dog breeds is because of domestication in the first place. I am sure by now it has been mentioned several times in this thread but in Siberia they started a fox domestication project for fur companies during the USSR times. First big thing discovered was just how fast true domestication can occur, took only like 15 or so generations iirc. Second was that when the foxes were truly domesticated, they showed physical traits that appeared out of nowhere within that generation. Some were short legged, curly tails, droopy ears, spotted fur, and so on, in other words, all the weird variety of physical traits we see in dogs suddenly popped up practically overnight as a result of domestication.

So it IS possible they would loose a lot of the fur patterns we love so much on a cheetah as well as body shape. But it is so very random and there were still plenty of foxes that were more or less still obviously silver foxes with no major physical difference from their forebears.

>I have no idea how evolution works
at the end of the day, true domestication is working in defiance of any laws and rules of natural selection and evolution. Nothing is set in stone.
>>
>>2442230
stop comparing dogs to cheetahs
people talk about dogs on the other side of the argument because dogs are biologically adapted to living with humans and obeing them but even then, there are dogs killing people
the point is : even with an animal domesticated to the point of dogs, there are risks
now imagine with a cheetah : it's a predatory WILD animal, its living with humans potential is very far from being close to dogs'

and you're taking this as :

>the violent nature of certain dogs can be dismissed with training
>so the violent nature of cheetahs can be dismissed with training

that's a false equivalence
and in reality, it's like this :

>dogs have the potential to be human's best friend because of their history
>cheetahs are wild animals that kill all day in order to survive
>there are risks of death even with dogs
>just imagine the risks with such a wild animal
>so trying to make cheetahs pets is incredibly dangerous

if you've done a bit of maths in your life, it's a simple arrow => , not <=>
>>
>>2442245
except we were talking about DOMESTICATED cheetahs in a clearly hypothetical situation. no one is arguing for wild cheetahs to be pets.
>>
>>2442247
by "wild" I'm referencing to the evolutive history of the two animals, they are clearly different
or you're talking about a situation that would only happen in hundred of years, when they are effectively domesticated, but we have no idea how their phenotype will change, making this discussion unrelevant
>>
>>2442249
don't see how that is 'irrelevant' Op outright asks 'You ever think cheetahs will be domesticated?'
>situation that would only happen in hundred of years
We have shown true domestication occurs earlier then that. However I will grant you that is under ideal circumstances, plenty of stock animals to select friendliness traits from, and gaurentees in mating. Cheetahs iirc are not easy breeders, I believe artificial insemination on felines in general is tough due to ovulation apparently requiring some painful stimulation of the vaginal walls. So who knows if it would take hundreds of years to get enough proper choices for the domestication, or maybe we are lucky and can breed them fast and sure enough to be done in only fifty years.
>>
>>2442256
I'm not talking about op's question, I'm talking about you referencing dogs in the hypothetical situation of domesticated cheetahs and why it's irrelevant
>>
>>2442259
that's a different anon you're replying to... my point originally was entirely the physical traits of cheetahs vs dogs.

hypothetical situation is cheetahs are domesticated, dogs too. a 90 pound cheetah could slap me and bite me and probably not kill me unless i was a child. a dog could do the same with little more than maybe puncture wounds happening from either animal. either one COULD snap and kill me, but the occurrence of this happening in dogs (any domesticated animal for that matter) is so rare that when one happens it's a news story. stop reading into this more than was intended.
>>
>>2442267
and I'm saying that we can't assume that domestication of cheetahs would be as advanced as dogs' and that killings rates would be similar, there's no evidence for it (exotic pets have a way higher rate of deadly attacks than dogs by the way)
>>
>>2442275
not him, but you keep insisting on using terms like 'exotic pets' and comparing that to dogs. The problem is that in this completely hypothetical situation, the cheetah is domesticated. The rate of attacks being an 'exotic' animal would in theory be reduced rapidly. Again this is all theoretical and we really have nothing to go off of like you said. The closest we got to compare would be the Siberian Silver Fox domestication experiment, and unfortunately foxes are already closely related enough to dogs that it is hard to tell what traits they developed can be attributed to domestication in general or to domestication of Canidae.

I find these scenarios interesting because there is so little we actually know about domestication, and the effects it has on genetics.
>>2442267
Well if you got about 50 yards or so between you and the cheetah it WOULD probably kill you. Their claws aren't that sharp due to being unable to retract so they always grind on the ground, thus all they have is their bite and their killing method requires full speed. But otherwise you aren't too off the fact that a cheetah may be no more dangerous up close then an attack dog. key word is may.
>>
>>2425526

How can he drive backwards?
>>
Has anyone here EVER pet or been close to a cheetah? Do they smell bad?
>>
>>2442581
I can't say they smell any worse then any animal not being kept as a pet. Just a mild kinda musty scent that I associated with pretty much any of the animals I was able to interact with.
>>
>>2442231
same here desu
>>
>>2442567
Psychic ability
>>
>>2442899
It would feel so god damn good to watch yourself change into an anthro cheetah
>>
>>2444742
The fuck is wrong with you
>>
>>2445163
A human cheetah hybrid is way cooler than a regular human desu
>>
File: IMG_3232.jpg (196KB, 635x560px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3232.jpg
196KB, 635x560px
>>2445163
Not him but I want to be a furry cheetah too. It's no surprise that an animal board would be full of furries.
>>
>>2425414
Has anyone here ever pet a cheeto? Was it soft or did it have rough fur?
>>
>>2445871
I haven't but i believe they're soft
>>
File: 1486304380967.png (75KB, 179x230px) Image search: [Google]
1486304380967.png
75KB, 179x230px
>>2442167
>>2442170
>>2442172
>>2442174
>>
>>2446501
>implying it would feel wonderful
>>
>>2446774
>>
The thing about domesticating cheetahs, they might lose a lot of the traits that made us want them in the first place. Namely their very specalized physique. Once they no longer require that insane level of specialization, they will not be as frail and weak of a big cat. They won't be leopards, or jaguars, but they sure as shit will be much more dangerous to handle than they are now once they get stockier. They might also lose their distinctive pattern in the process. Basically they might just turn into a slightly smaller cougar.
>>
File: cheetah-extinction-2.jpg (1MB, 2048x1365px) Image search: [Google]
cheetah-extinction-2.jpg
1MB, 2048x1365px
>>
File: cheetah-extinction-3.jpg (2MB, 2048x1366px) Image search: [Google]
cheetah-extinction-3.jpg
2MB, 2048x1366px
>>
File: cheetah-extinction-1.jpg (2MB, 2048x1363px) Image search: [Google]
cheetah-extinction-1.jpg
2MB, 2048x1363px
>>
>>
>>
File: 8003910_f520.jpg (75KB, 520x391px) Image search: [Google]
8003910_f520.jpg
75KB, 520x391px
>>
>>2446501
wait a minute I recognize that picture.
>>
>>
>>
>>
File: tumblr_o7sjmjmtn01t1cy7no1_500.jpg (133KB, 500x749px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o7sjmjmtn01t1cy7no1_500.jpg
133KB, 500x749px
>>
File: tumblr_o5jnzgVvda1qgwf6po1_500.jpg (132KB, 500x604px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o5jnzgVvda1qgwf6po1_500.jpg
132KB, 500x604px
>>
File: dyiLTAn.jpg (120KB, 858x536px) Image search: [Google]
dyiLTAn.jpg
120KB, 858x536px
>>
File: ryOe2me.jpg (110KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
ryOe2me.jpg
110KB, 500x375px
>>
File: gwe51ea.jpg (133KB, 858x528px) Image search: [Google]
gwe51ea.jpg
133KB, 858x528px
>>
File: WIMoyfu.jpg (123KB, 650x434px) Image search: [Google]
WIMoyfu.jpg
123KB, 650x434px
>>
File: 4GdFXM3.jpg (203KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
4GdFXM3.jpg
203KB, 640x1136px
>>
File: cheetah king kitten.jpg (64KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
cheetah king kitten.jpg
64KB, 640x480px
>>
File: 4zFLsIc.webm (2MB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
4zFLsIc.webm
2MB, 640x640px
>>
File: sleep tight.webm (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
sleep tight.webm
1MB, 1280x720px
>>
File: kitten kiss.webm (987KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
kitten kiss.webm
987KB, 1280x720px
>>
>>
File: cheetah cuddles 3.webm (3MB, 976x550px) Image search: [Google]
cheetah cuddles 3.webm
3MB, 976x550px
>>
File: cheetah slowmo.webm (3MB, 1912x714px) Image search: [Google]
cheetah slowmo.webm
3MB, 1912x714px
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
File: 8003814_f520.jpg (90KB, 520x456px) Image search: [Google]
8003814_f520.jpg
90KB, 520x456px
>>
File: stalking cheetah.jpg (57KB, 514x347px) Image search: [Google]
stalking cheetah.jpg
57KB, 514x347px
>>
File: king of the hill.jpg (64KB, 510x493px) Image search: [Google]
king of the hill.jpg
64KB, 510x493px
>>
File: 571665518_9ec98c305d_o.jpg (109KB, 600x426px) Image search: [Google]
571665518_9ec98c305d_o.jpg
109KB, 600x426px
>>
File: pennyforthoughts.jpg (60KB, 509x379px) Image search: [Google]
pennyforthoughts.jpg
60KB, 509x379px
>>
File: 2534715394_9922d2f566_b.jpg (362KB, 1024x680px) Image search: [Google]
2534715394_9922d2f566_b.jpg
362KB, 1024x680px
>>
File: 2380266276_637c866d5b_o.jpg (64KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
2380266276_637c866d5b_o.jpg
64KB, 800x533px
>>
File: BW profile.jpg (56KB, 510x404px) Image search: [Google]
BW profile.jpg
56KB, 510x404px
>>
File: mum.jpg (74KB, 509x507px) Image search: [Google]
mum.jpg
74KB, 509x507px
>>
File: cheetah 03511.jpg (91KB, 509x477px) Image search: [Google]
cheetah 03511.jpg
91KB, 509x477px
>>
File: teen king cheetah.jpg (201KB, 443x500px) Image search: [Google]
teen king cheetah.jpg
201KB, 443x500px
>>
File: 2353218512_c4be790b8e_o.jpg (265KB, 979x859px) Image search: [Google]
2353218512_c4be790b8e_o.jpg
265KB, 979x859px
>>
File: Sweetbaby cheetah.jpg (79KB, 502x461px) Image search: [Google]
Sweetbaby cheetah.jpg
79KB, 502x461px
>>
File: 20050131-238JCCheetahCub.jpg (65KB, 500x300px) Image search: [Google]
20050131-238JCCheetahCub.jpg
65KB, 500x300px
>>
File: cheetahs-01301173b.jpg (215KB, 1024x685px) Image search: [Google]
cheetahs-01301173b.jpg
215KB, 1024x685px
>>
>>2427917
Tamed != domesticated
>>
>>2426459
http://bio150.chass.utoronto.ca/labs/cool-links/lab5/OBrien_et_al_1985_lab_5.pdf
The study used skin drafts but it is questionable

http://insci14.ucsd.edu/~bi178s/GeneticsReadings/cheetahgenetics.htm
>Some field ecologists doubt parts of O'Brien's analysis. They point to apparent weaknesses in the design of the skin-graft experiment; for instance, the researchers used skin from domestic cats as a control. More profoundly, detractors argue that ecological factors, such as habitat loss and predation, are more vital to cheetahs' survival than genetic diversity. No one has found a direct link, they say, between genetic shortcomings and the decline of cheetahs or, for that matter, any other species.

>>2426666
Interbreeding on itself is fine, the problem is that it increases the odds of having genetic problems, so in the end if you are lucky you are fine.
>>
you think its possible to interbreed king cheetahs enough that they could be an independent subspecies, instead of just a mutation?
>>
>>2449334
So i take those species have developped a remarkable ability to replicate DNA with a minimal number of fuck ups ?
Thread posts: 181
Thread images: 55

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.