[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pocket Pets General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 331
Thread images: 91

File: pocket-pal-21221366.jpg (24KB, 300x400px) Image search: [Google]
pocket-pal-21221366.jpg
24KB, 300x400px
Last one mysteriously died. Ask questions, post your pets, share your stories. All pets small are welcome.
>Cavies
>Hamsters
>Mice
>Rats
>Gerbils
>Chinchillas
>Sugar Gliders
>Hedgehogs
>Ferrets
>Rabbits
>etc

Don't buy pre-made cages (with adjustments can be used for other pets like rabbits and rats)
https://www.guineapigcages.com/howto.htm

Try not to buy your pets from pet stores
>http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/petco-supplier-accused-torturing-freezing-live-animals-article-1.2504475

Please learn about the pet you want before you get it
http://animal-world.com/encyclo/critters/information/smallanimal.htm

Discord link goes to #general
>https://discord.gg/PkHpg8U
>>
File: c&c.jpg (8KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
c&c.jpg
8KB, 275x183px
>tfw had a huge 3 story c&c cage but I never took a picture of it
Pic related, looked a bit like this but a bit bigger and a third story. My favorite part about having guinea pigs was making the cages i think
>>
File: IMG_6360.jpg (3MB, 3021x3816px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6360.jpg
3MB, 3021x3816px
Hi, I've been gone awhile. Hope turtlebun pops in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cj4xQY1ZphY
>>
File: image.jpg (79KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
79KB, 1280x720px
Mouze
>>
I've just discovered my oldest rat has an early case of bumblefoot. Never dealt with it before. I've started antibiotic treatment (amoxicillin) and soaking his foot daily in a warm saline solution. Are there any creams or antibacterial sprays I can use in case it gets worse? I've heard good things about Savlon.

If it doesn't clear up with the antibiotics or he starts limping I'll take him to the vet.
>>
>>2424895
I'd say keep with the soaking, this is how I've dealt with wild birds with bumble foot and it seems to work well. Good luck.
>>
File: received_1788730057811350.jpg (121KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
received_1788730057811350.jpg
121KB, 720x1280px
Picked up a pregnant guinea pig from petco. No they don't keep them together, they just take in small animals and put them up for adoption. The poor girl was on Wal-Mart food and was extremely emaciated, as you can tell in the pics her nails are super long, getting those clipped on Tuesday.
She's at least very people friendly and downed the food and hay i put in there for her yesterday.
>>
>>2424895
Use towels and shirts in the cage. If they are being chewed on, remove them and try to give your animal other shit to chew on that won't tangle in their feet.
I really don't understand bedding and wood chip suggestions, everyone has old clothes and towels that are fuck tons more enjoyable to walk on or hide in.
>>
>>2425638
Thanks! Today, after a soak, the 'cap' of the initial wound came off, a little black crust of skin with a bit of puss underneath. Now the foot is much less swollen and red and the area looks clean, so I hope that means the treatment is working.

>>2425710
I use newspaper, toilet paper and towels/dish-washing clothes. I've read some older rats (he's almost 2) are more likely to get it despite what bedding is used. Dunno, my cleaning might have been a bit sloppy or something, but I've never encountered it before and I've had rats for 6+ years.
>>
>>2423686
>Try not to buy your pets from pet stores
>>http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/petco-supplier-accused-torturing-freezing-live-animals-article-1.2504475

So because of one place doing something bad we should ban ALL pet stores? That's retarded. There are plenty of good pet stores out there with animals that need homes. How about this, research the place you buy from first.
>>
>>2425838
Just try not to buy pet store pets, it's not that hard man. The shipping companies are also generally awful too. Not all pet stores need to sell pets. Some adopt out rescued ones instead.
>>
>>2425877
I knew a woman who had a pet store, no animals just food and accessories. She has a friend who is a vet (who also acted as the towns SPCA). They partnered up & she built a large enclosure at the front of her store & sold abandoned kittens and cats which included a free checkup and a severe discount on spay/neutering costs.

She ran a brisk business doing this selling them and finding them homes while the SPCA where she was getting them from free, couldn't even GIVE them away. The public is funny that way.
>>
>>2426038
I remember reading some poll done in my area that found that one of the main reasons people don't go to animal shelters is because it's sad. That was like the 3rd reason, under 'they don't have the breed I want' and 'they don't have puppies/kittens'. Maybe that's part of why pet stores do so good with mutt kittens, it takes care of 2 of the biggest reasons people don't go to shelters. I know pet stores near me that sell second hand guinea pigs, hamsters, rats, even mice while the shelter can't get rid of them.
>>
>>2425782
You have too much experience to ignore the newspaper situation.

It's soy based ink. GMO soy based ink. It can get wet from piss and enter the skin. Rats and mice have bad reactions to this. Not only does the phrase "gmo" include freak fucking science experiments, plants with square pollen and severe health implications, but it also includes live glyphosate resistant bacteria and possible lung afflictions.
You gotta remove it. It's been implicated as dangerous to rodents for 10-20 years now and it's time to stop.

But seriously how can you not spend $1 on 4 rolls of toilet paper or $1 on two rolls of paper towels at the dollar store? That's really cheap. It might have caused his foot to get fucked up, but I have no confirmation that the newspaper did it, only suspicion, it's usually from walking on stiff cage bars.
>>
>>2423686
>Last one mysteriously died
did you hug it too hard again?
>>
>>2426599
>muuuuhh geee emmm ooo

Disregarded

>I have no confirmation the newspaper did it (anything), only suspicion
>>
>>2426594
>people don't go to animal shelters is because it's sad.
I believe it, I find it depressing to visit them because I can't imagine an animal not being part of a family.

However the one in my area is modern and much like a clinic environment, not some dingy concrete block jailhouse-like building. Not including staff, they have enthusiastic volunteers who socialize, feed, clean the animals and give some exercise.
>>
Do you make puzzles for your bun??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DpoPeyuLdw
>>
>>2427122
That's actually a hell of a good idea. Probably would not work well for a guinea pig though, they are lazy fucks.
>>
Thinking about buying a pet hammy, pet rat, or breeding mice (Would keep few as pets and use others are feeders for my ferrets & toad.)

I've owned all before.. Not sure which I'd like now. Any suggestions/input?
>>
>>2427677
Guinea pig would probably just begin eating the boxes.
>>
A family friend gave me this hamster. What do i need to know to take care of this lil guy
>>
>>2427919
Idk what kind of hamster it is
>>
>>2427919
You'll want to look into giving it a bigger cage and more bedding (though you may want to switch bedding, I've heard bad things about care fresh though it's better than pine and cedar). Also just googling hamsters. Hell OP post did half the work already
>>
I had 3 chilean squirrels, they were cool as fuck
>>
>>2427921
Looks like a Syrian Hamster
>>
File: 320245-bunnies-baby-bunny.jpg (16KB, 500x342px) Image search: [Google]
320245-bunnies-baby-bunny.jpg
16KB, 500x342px
Do bunnies make great pets, are they cuddly?
>>
File: fightingrats.jpg (10KB, 260x175px) Image search: [Google]
fightingrats.jpg
10KB, 260x175px
>My rats get mites out of fucking nowhere
>Deep clean the cage, replace all wooden stuff, freeze wooden stuff I keep, boil wash all fabrics, treat with medicine
>They're still fucking there

How can I get rid of these fuckers? They're not tropical rat mites, just the run of the mill ones.
>>
>>2428260
are you refering to degus? how are them? I kinda want to have one, they look like a mix between gerbils and chinchillas. I had gerbils in the past and I like them
>>
File: 20170712_173558.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20170712_173558.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
I have two rats, about 2 years old. They've been together their whole lives. One of them has always been dominant over the other, but now, the less dominant one has developed wounds on her back and face. I believe the other one is acting aggressive towards her, presumably when I leave human food in there for them to share. I've never actually witnessed her biting or attacking her. I took her to work with me (I am a vet tech) and they appeared to be bite wounds. We clipped and cleaned the wounds and applied some antibiotic ointment. I know I should probably keep them separated from now on, but I only have one cage and they're getting older anyway. I haven't been leaving human food in there anymore, I take them out to give them treats and monitor them. Just wondering if anyone has ever had this problem with their rats, and any possible suggestions on how to keep them friendly with each other.
>>
>>2429313
I've experienced this once. After the 'alpha' rat in the cage died, the youngest of the two left suddenly started attacking his older cage-mate. Completely unprovoked, he would just launch at him and bite out of nowhere, when they had been sleeping together fine a few minutes ago. It got to a point where I was forced to separate them (I came home to find a big gash on the oldest forehead)

After that, no matter what I tried, the youngest wouldn't interact with other rats again. He loved being pet and human attention, really affectionate, but or some reason, he just fucking hated other rats now. When I got new babies, he would hiss and puff up his fur at them, try to bite and immediately go for the neck, once they grew up and tried to groom or interact with him, he'd scream, shit himself, and hide on me, as if traumatized or some shit.

I kept him in his own cage and had him out most of the time instead and he seemed pleased with that.

Sorry anon, I don't have any solutions. With males, neutering can help aggression/dominance problems, but that's not much help to you and they're too old for that kind of surgery anyways..

You may have to keep them separated when you're not monitoring them.
>>
File: 1928357832.jpg (26KB, 446x336px) Image search: [Google]
1928357832.jpg
26KB, 446x336px
>>2429313
>(I am a vet tech)
Fellow tech here.

Mine get along fine 99% of the time, but I always feed them separately because they'll fight over it if they're caged together. Not to the extent that yours appear to be, thankfully. It's a pain in the ass but has worked out fine for me.
>>
>>2429255
you clearly forgot to boil wash your rats too
>>
File: 20170521_141815.jpg (3MB, 4128x3096px) Image search: [Google]
20170521_141815.jpg
3MB, 4128x3096px
>>2423686
This is kaiju. She turns three in two weeks. Do any other anons have advice for senior rat care? My poor girls starting to have hind leg degeneration :[
>>
>>2429570
Look at changing her food, senior rats have different nutritional needs than younger rats (things like their kidneys can't work as well as they used to). Do some research and create a food mix to suit her, there's lots of advice online.

If she's struggling to move, rearrange her cage so she doesn't need to climb or jump much. Rats never realise they can't move as they used to, and she might injure herself if she tries too hard (I once had an elderly rat who still insisted on climbing the cage walls, despite falling off each time). You may need to move her into a more horizontal cage, so she has space to move but not a big distance to fall.
>>
>>2429489
Strange... They really do have strange behaviors. I just feel bad keeping them separate when (most of the time) they're such social animals. They were definitely depressed for the week I separated them.
>>
>>2429511
Thanks for the advice! I haven't been leaving food in there since, except their little food pellets. No new wounds. Hopefully she continues to heal, I feel horrible every time I look at her
>>
>>2429291
Theyre cool, they dont stink or anything but they can be loud as hell sometimes
>>
>>2429255
Are you positive you or someone else aren't bringing them in on shoes or something? Mites really suck, I feel for ya
>>
>>2429011
Buns are often not too cuddly. They are pretty animals, so being picked up and held makes them very spooked. They can be raised to tolerate and like being held but it takes time, usually has to be done while the bunny is still a baby. But buns definitely like company while on the ground, you might have to earn their trust with food first. I heard getting them fixed also makes them friendlier
>>
I just brought home a pair of 10 week old sister gerbils (housed in the same tank at the store). Lights go off at the store at about 8, and I'm trying to give these gals a smooth transition. It's now 8:30, and I'm wondering whether or not to cover their tank for the night, or to move the tank to the walk-in closet. I get up and walk around the apartment in the middle of the night, and do not want to disturb them while they are getting adjusted.

Also, do people call them "cages" even when they are in a 20 gallon tank?
>>
We just adopted a cuy and one of my other guinea pigs was bullying her a lot yesterday when they first settled down together, but everything is fine now. I love my guinea pigs.
>>
>>2431867
If it's a tank, it's a tank. A cage has more aeration. I wouldn't be worried about the lights so much, moving the tank would probably be more dramatic.
>>
>>2432038
It's good they settled, but keep a way to separate them just in case. They'll probably be fine though
>>
>>2427683
Depends on what you'd want. If you get rats you should get 2, they are very smart and social. Rats will be hands down the most affectionate and the highest maintenance of all of them. Whatever you chose, make sure they are not in the same room as the ferrets and make sure the ferrets can never get to them. And vice versa for the rats if you let them out to play. I think if you have the space and the cages available you should try breeding mice but breed for a certain kind of mice. Maybe try for something longer living. However I imagine you can only feed pinkies, and this plan would not really be feasible if your pets can only feed pinkies, as most of the culling would be done as adults. I just really like genetics
>>
File: skinnypigcolor.png (143KB, 532x344px) Image search: [Google]
skinnypigcolor.png
143KB, 532x344px
What is the appeal of hairless guinea pigs?
>>
>>2433860
queerness
>>
>>2433860
maybe if you're allergic to animal fur
>>
File: Snapchat-1190624547.jpg (274KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-1190624547.jpg
274KB, 720x1280px
Meet Sky! She'll be 1 soon.
>>
File: Snapchat-1952373037.jpg (276KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-1952373037.jpg
276KB, 720x1280px
>>2434144
>>
File: IMG_7951__2__op_616x533.jpg (42KB, 616x533px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7951__2__op_616x533.jpg
42KB, 616x533px
>>2434144
>>2434146
Adorable! You should think about getting her a cage mate, they can get very lonely.
>>
>>2434826
We have been considering but, being college students, we cant afford the local breeders.
Our cat tends to visit her often and sits with her for a while.
>>
>>2430748
Actually they will cuddle if you're on the floor. They push their bodies up to you and nap, very cute. Just don't force them to be held or they can break their own backs struggling.
>>
>>2434859
look for chinchillas at rescues and on craigslist, and next time please research before you buy a pet.
>>
File: jackpot25days.jpg (312KB, 800x578px) Image search: [Google]
jackpot25days.jpg
312KB, 800x578px
>tfw just found out there's a legitimate association of rat and mouse breeders like the AKC
Holy shit, I never would have thought there were reputable rat/mice breeders and BYB
>>
>>2435093
Research before i buy a pet?
Ive done the research necessary. She doesnt "need" a cage mate, as we spend alot of time with her already. Theres hardly a second she's alone.
What part am I missing in your eyes?
>>
>>2430748
What small animals are cuddly?
>>
File: p5102466-z.jpg (619KB, 1536x1152px) Image search: [Google]
p5102466-z.jpg
619KB, 1536x1152px
Are degus going to be the next guinea pig?
>>
>>2435719
The part you are missing is how smug some pet owners can be about any animal.

I had a single chin and he was fine. He was super friendly towards me and always enjoyed attention.
>>
>>2432204
Is the aeration a big factor? Multiple care sites recommended tanks based on the tendency to chew bars and get balding around the nose.

I recently introduced a box with a cardboard tunnel/ladder, and buried it to give them a shitton of bedding (7 inches) in the 3/4 of their tank that does not have the wheel, food, and water. They've been spending quite a bit of time in this tissue box. Should I add more tunnels for air, remove the box...?

Also, there are balding areas on both of their tails. I assume it's due to overgrooming and stress. There are many opportunities for stimulation in tank (tubes of varying thickness, different types of wood chews, a holeless wheel, platforms, more smaller boxes, forage toys). What else should I watch out for?

These girls are very sweet already, eating millet while sitting in my palm, and no hard bites, but they seem to freak out whenever I make any sudden movement or sound (moving my arm from across the room, hiccuping, snickering because they are doing something cute).
>>
>>2436204
I should add that the tank has a mesh lid, and I've been sticking my hand in the tank for just two five minute sessions per day.
>>
>>2433860
They're cute in their own way.
>>
File: 0721170110a-1.jpg (496KB, 2204x2269px) Image search: [Google]
0721170110a-1.jpg
496KB, 2204x2269px
>>
File: nubbert.jpg (46KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
nubbert.jpg
46KB, 640x480px
>>2433860
That one is kinda ugly. not all are cute. I think mine is adorable though.
>>
>>2436204
How long have you had them? Did they have hairloss when you got them? If not, the move itself may have just been stressful and they may need time to adjust. Tanks are fine with gerbils; they are desert creatures and don't piss as much so aeration is't as important like it is for guinea pigs. Just make sure the bedding is safe for animals, it's insane the toxic bedding that gets sold in pet stores. For toys, you just have to get creative if you think they are bored. What I did with my mouse was I would switch up his toys every week to keep him interested, and put them in different spots. However he wasn't skittish in the slightest and I didn't have to worry about stressing him out. For toys, you just have to get creative and see what they like and what they don't like.

I suggest putting a cat in there to spice things up
>>
>>2436511
>hairless guinea pig
>has hair
>>
>>2436593
most of them have a little bit of hair. a patch on top of their nose and usually a bit on the arms. hes got a little bit of peach fuzz on his shoulders too.
>>
>>2435848
Guinea pigs and rats if socialized. Pigs act like living plush toys. They'll sit on you for hours to be pet. Rats are more spastic, they like to run around and explore, but some love to be cuddled and will groom your fingers in return/sleep in your shirts.
>>
>>2436480 is the cuy and the bully pig. Meant to reply to >>2432533 but I was phoneposting and a bit drunk
>>
File: index.jpg (12KB, 271x186px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
12KB, 271x186px
>>2435719
>Anon thinks human company is a replacement for own species company!
>laughingpocketpets.jpg
>>
>>2437630
It doesn't seem mean when you post a chinchilla with it
>>
File: photo_1498257392800.jpg (1MB, 4096x2304px) Image search: [Google]
photo_1498257392800.jpg
1MB, 4096x2304px
My salami is gonna turn 1, what should I get him?
>>
File: the pathetic bunny.gif (709KB, 250x141px) Image search: [Google]
the pathetic bunny.gif
709KB, 250x141px
>>2430748
Just hang out on the floor with them, they love it.
>>
File: bune.jpg (24KB, 467x470px) Image search: [Google]
bune.jpg
24KB, 467x470px
>>2438277

Flops just seem inherently designed to be adorable.
>>
>>2436587
kek. Your picture raises a few questions, anon.
>>
File: freyja.jpg (76KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
freyja.jpg
76KB, 1000x750px
!!
>>
>>2436587
>>2438335
When I had Guinea Pigs and an open C & C cage, my cat would often hop in and lay in their hay and bedding. Although cavies are much larger and much more relaxed. Not sure how that cat isn't murdering the gerbils
>>
>>2433860
one less step during dinner prep
>>
>>2423686
f'r'r
>>
>>2423686
y'y'y
>>
>>2438282
Is it true only females have that flop of fat on their chest? I heard it was for pulling the hair out to make a nest
>>
File: DFM-CH23-3.27.12.jpg (620KB, 1849x1217px) Image search: [Google]
DFM-CH23-3.27.12.jpg
620KB, 1849x1217px
Anyone got any of the more exotic small pets?
>>
File: 1496044098014.webm (983KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1496044098014.webm
983KB, 1280x720px
>>2423686
>>
File: 1494246002778.png (365KB, 800x1138px) Image search: [Google]
1494246002778.png
365KB, 800x1138px
One of my guinea pigs died of pneumonia the day after my dad died.
>>
>>2440584
jesus i find hogs all the time on the roads near me , commonly flattened by cars as well
>>
File: IMG_4541.jpg (229KB, 1616x652px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4541.jpg
229KB, 1616x652px
Got this little boy today. He's just perfect. Loves to be cuddled and play chase with my hand already.
>>
>Rats
People buy traps for these to get them the fuck out of their house
>Mice
Same shitto, m8
>Sugar Gliders
Shit gliders
>Gerbils
Shit
>Hamsters
Super shit

>mfw I don't make the news as I rent a car and fill it with Cavies, Hamsters, Mice, Rats, Gerbils, Chinchillas, Sugar Gliders, Hedgehogs, Ferrets, Rabbits, and etc and just leave it right in the middle of the highway running away crying
>>
File: 132376652014.jpg (81KB, 398x326px) Image search: [Google]
132376652014.jpg
81KB, 398x326px
>>2440891
That greenpost made no sense whatsoever anon.

>mfw
>posts no face
>>
So I was thinking of getting a rat or a mouse. Do they show affection towards you? Do they like to play with you? What about other rodents?
>>
File: clean me too feline friend.gif (2MB, 378x340px) Image search: [Google]
clean me too feline friend.gif
2MB, 378x340px
>>2441049
Rats need to be kept in pairs or they will become depressed (not harder or more expensive than one really, and they're more fun to watch). They're def the most intelligent and curious, some people describe them as mini dogs. They can learn tricks and like to sit on shoulders and use you as a climbing tree. Mine come running to the cage-door when I come home and respond to their individual names.

It differs from rat to rat whether or not they like to be pet, but most of them show a lot of affection towards you and groom your finger and face + make happy clicking sounds when you hold them and like to fall asleep in your shirt and so on. Just make sure you buy from a good breeder or place where they socialize them.

Mice are also fun, but not as smart. They're social like rats, but you can't keep two males together because they'll kill each other. It's a lot harder to get a mouse to be comfortable with sitting on you and being pet, they scare very easily compared to rats. Some are chill and social, but they're usually more for looking at than playing with.
>>
>>2441062
Oh okay thanks. That's a cool gif btw.
>>
>>2440731
Man that really sucks, im sorry for your loss anon. Have something cute to cheer you up
>>
File: cVBWN9y.jpg (165KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
cVBWN9y.jpg
165KB, 480x640px
>>2441049
I had a mouse and he was chill as fuck. He let me handle him just fine, although I do have to admit they are not the most cuddly pets mostly due to the fact they are so small and can get lost easily. I had him in a cage that I didn't realize he could get out of, but he was in the cage almost every time I looked for him until I finally got a better cage. If you don't think you'd have the space or time for rats, I highly suggest a lone male mouse or a female or two (although I've also seen females fight to the death too, unsure if it's because of a cage that isn't big enough). They are smart and it's fun watching them play with DIY toys. I had a ball that at first I didn't use for him because I heard it just scares them, but he would climb in it himself and roll around so after a while I shoved him in there while I cleaned his cage.

I like mice but they don't interact with people as much as rats do. If you don't have the time or space for rats though, mice are a good alternative.
>>
>>2426599
>GMO soy
Stopped reading here. Stay retarded and fuck off back to >>>/x/.
>>
>>2433860
Easier to eat
>>
>>2435985
Degus are so hot right now
>>
>>2436593
Kek
>>
File: image.jpg (27KB, 409x273px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27KB, 409x273px
>>2435985
Degus are the in thing right now
>>
Ever seen a rat with no tail?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYDtKaJOE_M
>>
I got my two year old ratto on my shoulder, and she's going to pass away before the morning comes, I know it.

Gods, I am going to miss her after she goes. This is my first rat that is passing on and I just don't feel ready. Gods, why did she develop these cancerous lumps on her arms aaaaa.
>>
>>2443135
;_;7
>>
File: 1273434256552.jpg (15KB, 219x93px) Image search: [Google]
1273434256552.jpg
15KB, 219x93px
>>2442233
No? I imagine it must be super hard for them to keep their balance without it, they use it all the time when climbing.

>>2443135
Being rat owner is suffering.
>>
>>2443135
All of my hugs anon. It fucking hurts, but give her an evening full of cuddles and love. She'll appreciate it.
>>
File: 2465921_orig.jpg (117KB, 1059x490px) Image search: [Google]
2465921_orig.jpg
117KB, 1059x490px
>>2443174
I have no idea, all I know is breeding for them is very difficult. Why are we breeding rats without tails when we could be breeding healthier rats that don't get tumors at age 2
>>
>>2443226
Man, that makes me buttmad. Why would anyone breed for that? i mean I know some normies don't like the tails, but they need them to climb and jump.
>>
>>2438263
Get your salami a bunch of diy toys to hide.
>inb4 cheap ass.
I love making diy toys for my ferrets and play boxes.
Or better yet do they have a dig box?
>>
>>
File: rat-content2-nu.jpg (69KB, 616x411px) Image search: [Google]
rat-content2-nu.jpg
69KB, 616x411px
What is the dumbest rat breed? And why is it always the hairless?
>>
File: operat3.jpg (31KB, 805x484px) Image search: [Google]
operat3.jpg
31KB, 805x484px
they make a hairless version of everything
>>
>>2436801
Wait, so it's okay that my pet mouse was biting my nails? Okay. I always flinched and thought she was gunna bite the tips of my fingers
>>
>>
>>2445036
Yeah nibbling on nails is normal, they're just grooming.

How come rats always bite people's toes though? It's like they don't know it's a part of your body.
>>
>>2445164
Maybe they genuinely don't know it's a part of the body?
>>
File: 4-2.gif (791KB, 500x257px) Image search: [Google]
4-2.gif
791KB, 500x257px
Why are all bunnies either brown or black and white with a line down the back? Literally all bunnies are one of these two bunnies.
>>
Can someone redpill me on Harley rats? I really want to adopt one but have heard they have aggression issues tied to their lines, especially later in age. I don't want any of my other rats getting hurt. Does anyone have experience with owning one?
>>
>>2423686

GF just bought a rat today and it's adorable, and honestly I'm a bit jealous. I had no idea rats were such curious and cute things. The one she got had been at the humane society for a while and they were all sad to see her leave, and she's a real sweetheart.
>>
>>2445991
Be careful guy. Once you start getting them it's hard to stop, they call it the fever. Make sure she gets a mate for it too.

I'm already on my 6th one. They have so much personality for such tiny pets. Very underrated and low maintenance.
>>
>>2429313
>not getting those big ass gross balls neutered in the first place

My boy was similar, he'd bear his fangs at the submissive boys and hiss even though they were doing nothing wrong. Got him snipped and he's way more chill. Got rid of his marking and musk too.
>>
>>2445991
Congrats on the sweet rat! Does your GF know they need to be kept in pairs? Her rat will be much better off with a friend, and they're so much more cute and fun to watch when they bundle up together or play-fight.

One of my fav things about having many rats is when you see them all snuggled up together in a hammock.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (54KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
54KB, 1280x720px
>>2446003
Isn't putting an animal that small under the knife a very big risk?
>>
File: 20170802_104713.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170802_104713.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>2446203

She's owned rats before, and she's actively searching for a suitable partner for this one. They don't sell rats in pet stores in her area; they all have to be adopted via the Humane Society or similar. This one was the only one for adoption in the area.

She doesn't have a name yet. Well, she does, but "Fancy" doesn't seem to suit her personality well and she's not trained to respond to it.
>>
>>2446318
Yeah. It shouldn't be done unless absolutely necessary.
>>
>>2446324
Good luck with finding her a buddy. Maybe there's some reptile owners around who breed them? I've gotten a few rats from feeder litters myself.
>>
File: 0726172333a-1.jpg (897KB, 2068x2418px) Image search: [Google]
0726172333a-1.jpg
897KB, 2068x2418px
They pissed all over our bed. Changed sheets and flipped the mattress but it was fun.
>>
I think I want a chinchilla. I've researched them on and off, and at one post I contacted a chinchilla breeder and said that I wasn't looking for any particular color, age, gender, size. and I was in no rush, I was just hoping for a more outgoing critter with a good temperament. I'm fine with retired breeders, etc.
She told me I was just a lazy fuck who didn't want to spend the time to tame one and I shouldn't have a chin.
Bounced over to petfinder a while later, found there's chin rescue in the area. Contacted them. They're requiring proof of income, proof of exotic vet, as well as proof that I own my own home, no renters allowed. I said I could get a statement from my landlord that said I'm allowed to have a chin? They rejected me. tf /an/.
>>
hey, an. I'm not sure if I should post this here or make a separate thread, but...
My boyfriend has always wanted a chinchilla, but couldn't afford everything it would need until recently, so a few days ago we finally got one. She's absolutely adorable and she has a dust bath, a edible slipper woven out of timothy hay and a hide made out of some sort of solid timothy hay kind of shit, a litter pan, a saucer wheel, a marble slab and a tiny plastic cube filled with water and covered in cloth to keep her from chewing. her cage is a bit on the small side, but for the past few days we've had her We've just let her out at night. My boyfriend works nights so we both have a pretty similar sleep schedule to the chinchilla(Hageshii)

So, since her cage is small-ish and we've been letting her out in a chinchilla safe room I've been trying to train her as well. Today was the first day, and I understand chinchillas have very strict dietary needs, so I broke up these small pretzel shaped treats designed for chinchillas and other rodents so I she could practice more. She's so fucking smart, an. She learned "come" after two tries and will jump up on my hand when I point at my wrist. she'll also stand up on her hind legs and twirl.
The problem is, she's too good. She's been doing tricks after I've fed her her daily maximum. she's been doing twirls in her cage and jumping in my hand and following me around and sitting on my feet all for treats, but we got her already chubby and I'm terrified of hurting her by feeding her too much.

wat do?
Does anyone else have similar issues with their chinchillas?
>>
>>2446429
I think it's stupid how strict some rescue groups get, but they just don't want that chinchilla coming back to them because you moved and couldn't find a pet friendly apartment.
>>
>>2446318
>>2446328
I had to do it because of my male's aggression. The risk of complications is only like 1-2% and as long as you keep them clean and on antibiotics they'll heal fine.
>>
>>2446449
Possibly replace those treats with fresh, green vegetables. Or a very small amount of fruit. Don't really know what chinchillas can eat in terms of that, only over owned cavies, but I'm sure a quick Google search would give you the info you'd need.
>>
File: 2017-08-02 23.50.48.png (448KB, 710x409px) Image search: [Google]
2017-08-02 23.50.48.png
448KB, 710x409px
>>2423686
>>
File: 20170728_182633.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170728_182633.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>2446515
Es fea pero grande
>>
File: IMG-20170728-WA0014.jpg (725KB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20170728-WA0014.jpg
725KB, 3264x1836px
>>2423686
Tengo un palomo viviendo en mi patio
>>
>>2446508
Just so no one accidentally kills their chinchilla, I think you should know that chinchillas can't really eat fruits or vegtables. Or nuts or seeds. They can die from more than one tiny apple slice. They get really bad diarrhea, too.

(this was terrible advice anon)
>>
I'm going to get two rats, anyone recommend some good cages?
>>
>>2446694
What do they eat then? They're not meat eaters.
>>
>>2438359
hi qt
>>
>>2446519

me gusta tu palomo.
>>
>>2446429
Why didn't he breeder say you were lazy? Have you looked for other breeders or rescues in the area? Be prepared to travel and wait a while to get what you want. Also check CL but they usually rip people right off.
>>
>>2446449
Offer something else like chews, a favorite toy, or a scratch behind the ears. Chins are very prone to obesity.
>>
File: Gerbil weed.jpg (82KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Gerbil weed.jpg
82KB, 720x1280px
lil gril
>>
File: gizmo5.png (2MB, 1397x927px) Image search: [Google]
gizmo5.png
2MB, 1397x927px
Aww shit, /an/.

After my last lil' dude failed to sire and eventually passed away I got out of the rat game, but I've been offered two Silverfawn silk boys so looks I've been roped back in. Super keen because I've known this breeder's rats to grow to forearm-sized and generally have some of the best temperaments in my state.

>Pic is one of my all-time favourites who unfortunately never made the cut to breed.

I doubt anyone remembers me, but feel free to ask whatever about rats.
>>
File: bubs.png (2MB, 1164x876px) Image search: [Google]
bubs.png
2MB, 1164x876px
>>2447627
Actually I'm gonna do a mini-dump because I'm excited.
>>
File: silkrex2.png (1MB, 1389x925px) Image search: [Google]
silkrex2.png
1MB, 1389x925px
>>2447630
>>
File: silkrex1.png (2MB, 1186x828px) Image search: [Google]
silkrex1.png
2MB, 1186x828px
>>2447632
Not looking forward to all of those tiny cuts on my hands, though.
>>
>>2447339
The breeder said I was lazy because I said I preferred temperament over color/age/gender. They told me that all chins have 'good temperament' and it's up to me to socialize with them enough to understand their personality and work around it or some shit.
I just wanted a people friendly lil dude or dudette, so I figured one that was outgoing or adventurous as opposed to preferring other chins/solitude would be good. I haven't looked for another breeder since because they were really shitty and hostile about all of my questions and made me feel stupid. It would be like "What are you currently feeding them?" and they'd be like "Chinchillas have a highly complex diet if you're not prepared to look into what is best for them blah blah...." yeah but what are they currently eating though? What is your preferred brand of treats? I can google as much as I want but it doesn't tell me what your experience has been and what they are used to eating.
I probably will end up just taking one of these CL deals like $100 with cage my kid is bored deal.
>>
>>2447692
I can sorta see them getting leery over the outgoing thing because all chins can be outgoing or aloof depending on their interactions or lack thereof. But they were rude. I wouldn't give up on all breeders and rescues just yet. Keep in mind you may also have a bad experience on Craigslist, if that happens then what? Do you just give up?

Chins are not like dogs in the fact that their diet needs a slow switch. All the food is more or less the same. They eat commercial chinchilla food, although I heard people also feeding rabbit and guinea pig food
>>
>>2447193
Savic Zeno 2 is a real good cage for 2-3 rats.
>>
Had to put one of my 3 rats to sleep last week. He was only 1 1/2 and wasn't the most social but he was a bud and I miss him. Wish I knew of some breeders in the area. PetSmart in my town stopped carrying rats after PetCo got sued, and the only other place I know that carries rats is a crap pet store 90 miles away that always has a couple, but I think they are bred more for snake food than pets.
>>
>>2448057
Try Craigslist, or Facebook. Or reptile conventions if theres one Happening nearby
>>
>>2447627
>Didn't make the cut to breed
What happened? Was he the one shooting blanks or was it something else keeping him from breeding?
>>
>>2448069
How is checking reptile conventions any better than buying the snake food rats from the store?
>>
>>2446519
Muy bonita anon.
>>
>>2446515
¿Que es esto, un degu? ¡Y este jaula es bien jaja!
>>
File: gerbs.jpg (23KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
gerbs.jpg
23KB, 512x512px
>>2436204
Update: Girls' tails are growing back in. The top one is pretty affectionate, completely no longer skittish and climbs into my hand without a treat. The other is still kind of skittish when outside the tank. I wonder who held her the wrong way when she was a little squirrel?

They have a DIY playpen that is a little over 5x the area of their tank, with many cardboard forage items/obstacles. After eating all the treats I've hidden, the affectionate one only tries to escape the pen and crawl on me. She figured out how to climb the couch today (I keep the tank on the floor with some makeshift stairs so they can get back in if they want). I think I'll gerbil-proof the living room with towels under the couch, stairs from the couch, and vertical cardboard covering any wires once the timid one is tame enough to be grabbed without trauma.

Anyone know the color morphs to these two? Shitty phone = shitty photos, but the top one seems to be beige with white belly and cheek marks, while the bottom appears to be an oddly pointed agouti (not burmese, as the hairs are ticked on the body). They are sisters.
>>
>>2448291
He just always had respiratory issues. Admittedly it was never terrible (or he'd have been PTS,) but it started at such a young age that I didn't want to risk it. Was a real shame, because he's the only mink that line ever threw.

I just dug out my smaller cage and got it set up for 'em. I didn't realize how neglected my cages were from being outside for so long - I'm gonna have to completely strip and repaint the big aviary one when the time comes.

>Pic are the bubs I'm going to see tomorrow when they were 2 weeks.
>>
I had a guinea pig once.

Every time I held him, he would pee on my chest. How would I prevent this in the future?
>>
>>2448408
Unrelated to your question, but make sure it's always "I have/had guinea pigs" rather than "I have/had a guinea pig"

As for your question, I have no idea. They hate being picked up so maybe it was afraid and pissed as a result. So a possible solution would be to get it more comfortable with you before picking it up. Maybe you were just unlucky,
>>
>>2448413
What are you goin on about with the spell check? Lol

I had one guinea pig.
>>
>>2448421
They're either saying that you should never have a single guineapig, or that you should lie about it because /an/ is anal as fuck about single guineapigs.
To be desu male guineapigs, like mice, don't always take well to company - Particularly if you're got two un-neutered males in the same vicinity as females. It's only a strict rule for rodents with complex family dynamics.
>>
>>2448424
Ooh that makes sense now.

Yea, I. was a kid when I had it, so if I got another one I would probably go with three females and a two story cage or something similar.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (20KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
20KB, 480x360px
Are bin cages the go to for DIY mouse cages?
>>
>>2448938
Yup. They're pretty great for their versatility, too. Commercial rodent/bird cages are disgustingly overpriced, and that's how you end up with people buying their kids five rats in a tiny nesting cage.
>>
>>2447200
Hay, grass, and wild flowers.
In captivity they also eat pellets.
>>
Eeee! BEW and Silverfawn varieberk. They don't have names yet, but they're lovely.
>>
>>2446519
KFC casero? kek, yo tambien tengo un palomo, se llama Malone, pero el puto casi nunca esta en casa debe de estar dando por culo ahorita mismo
>>
>>2447627
Hey there, I'm the anon curious about Harleys. I know they're similar to nude rats that you have to breed Harley male x female, but does the female matter? Do I need to have a female that "encourages" the gene, or will it be like a half half ratio. I have a topaz and was wondering about getting a black harley boy to breed with her but can't find any info about it.
>>
>have pair of unneutered 1 year old male rats raised together since babbyhood
>tussle a lot but never drawn blood, bros
>get third rat from friend who couldn't keep him anymore
>male, unneutered, 2 years
>allowed him to settle in for several days before putting cages next to each other
>swapped handfuls of dirty bedding
>swapped cages a couple times
>just put them all together in neutral territory to see how they'd do
>old rat eventually starts picking fights with new rat
>not dominance tussling, full-on hissing and poofing
>new rat poofs and chatters as I remove old rat

Should I even bother with putting them through the stress and possible injury of the introduction process? Introducing males seems so hopeless. I've tried twice before (adult x adult, adult x baby) and failed both times despite following every intro guide to the letter. I'm starting to think the "rats are social animals" thing is just a meme considering how instinctively they seem to hate each other.
>>
>>2427919
This guy's a syrian hamster. You'll want to get him a waaay bigger enclosure, the minimum i believe is 360 sq ft. You can make a cheap one with a plastic bin. You'll also want to get a quality wheel (i'd reccommend a silent spinner). Minimum size wheel is 8 inches, but i'd reccommend a 10-11 inch. You also need chews since their teeth are constantly growing (you can just use toilet paper tubes desu) and a quality diet. A cheap but good brand is Vitakraft Vitasmart Ferret Food, and you can also supplement its diet with some leafy greens. Bond with it and let it out of the cage at least for a half hour a day. Also, make sure to provide a hide for him, they can be timid and like to sleep in enclosed spaces.
>>
>>2449881
*hamster food not ferret food sorry i am retarded
>>
>>2441440
tru dat
>>
>>2449869
Nah, it's an issue of either poor breeding (which honestly makes up 90% of rat issues) and/or your new male has spent his entire life alone and is fucked in the head as a result.
Most of the breeders I know don't even bother with an introduction process - You just throw them in a cage together and it should be fine.

I'd say to leave them together and see if they work it out. If they're still fighting after a week or two they probably always will, but 'no blood no foul' as a general rule.

>>2449846
Aw geez anon, I'm afraid this is one thing I can't help you with. We don't have Harley rats in Australia so I haven't really looked into them. If you take a Google crash-course on Mendelian inheritance and find out what genes you're working with, you should be able to figure out what you need.
>>
>>2449924
New male got along fine with two rats previously, though one of them did pick on him - he didn't fight back.

He did, however, draw blood on my old rat's when they fought briefly earlier.
>>
>>2449869
Sounds like you have the pit bulls of rats there. I never owned rats, just worked with them at a shelter and I can assure you they most definitely are social.
>>
File: ApricotPudding (12 of 18).jpg (2MB, 1920x1280px) Image search: [Google]
ApricotPudding (12 of 18).jpg
2MB, 1920x1280px
>>2449965
Mm. Normally I'd suggest PTS for a rat that draws blood - but honestly, if he's already two he probably won't last much longer anyway. If you have access to a second cage, you can just keep them side-by-side and see how they go that way.

>This is Rice Pudding.
He's very small for 8 weeks, but I'm hoping he grows well because I'd love to breed BEW Rexes at some point. Unfortunately he can't be shown because he has a single black spot on his stomach.
>>
File: ApricotPudding (3 of 18).jpg (2MB, 1920x1280px) Image search: [Google]
ApricotPudding (3 of 18).jpg
2MB, 1920x1280px
>>2450134
And this is Apricot Chicken. Also small for his age at 10 weeks, but nonetheless healthy.

These guys have, without a doubt, the best temperaments I've ever had in such young bucks. I can just roll them around in my hands like putty.
>>
File: ApricotPudding (8 of 18).jpg (2MB, 1920x1280px) Image search: [Google]
ApricotPudding (8 of 18).jpg
2MB, 1920x1280px
>>2450137
Aw geez, didn't realize how huge these were. Sorry.
>>
What's a good pocket friend to go /out/ with me?
>>
Has anybody ever had experience with a hedgehog having a hernia?
>>
File: 20170808_011914.jpg (3MB, 2359x2468px) Image search: [Google]
20170808_011914.jpg
3MB, 2359x2468px
My dwarf hamster, as of yesterday evening, seems to have developed a watery left eye that squirts a lot. It also takes him a bit to open it after co.ing out of a nap. To that effect, he seems more eager to rest, mind of lethargic, and seems uninterested in his favorite treat, pumpkin seeds.

Today he did eagerly eat an entire metalwork and went to work on a bottle cap full of Oxbow Critical Care that I put in there after cleaning his cage. He also seemed very excited to drink out of his waterer.

Past that, he suddenly seems just a tad bit scruffier looking than usual, and may or may not look to have lost weight. Regardless, he still walks right up onto my hand and was climbing the bars of the cage to see me last night.

I checked his teeth, which seem fines, and felt no abscesses in either of his cheek pouches. The eye just seems watery and squinty, no gunk or discoloration of the eye that I can tell, although that's hard to say, given he has red eyes. I though maybe it could be irritation from his bedding or something, because I recently picked up a second job and went a little longer than I should have without cleaning his cage. Also, the weather the last few days has been pretty bad, so the temps in my room have dropped by about 5-10 degrees F.

I can't make a vet appointment until later in the week, so I just wanted to get a second opinion in the mean time to make sure I'm not overreacting like I'm known to do with these things.

Pic related is him while eating the mealworm about an hour ago, and the affected eye.
>>
>>2449869
> I'm starting to think the "rats are social animals" thing is just a meme
Dismissing rat knowledge 101 because you've had some fuckups is stupid anon. Its almost impossible to introduce adult males to each other without some serious fights.

Like people, not all rats get along even though they're social creatures. In the wild they would just fuck off from each other, but since they're "forced" together as cagemates, they'll be fighting for dominance instead.

I've had an adult attack babies once, but he was a neurotic spazz who only liked humans. If the new male has been kept as a lone rat for 2 years, he's probably fucked in the head and will never function in a group.
>>
>>2449869
>let me put these mature territorial intact males together
They're going to fight, and need to establish their pecking order. Avoid blood though.

Are they from legit breeders or randos? Because their breed and handling effects their temperament on top of their hormones changing at that age.
>>
>>2450950
>>2450952
>Its almost impossible to introduce adult males to each other without some serious fights.

Man, I'd hate to meet an American rat. In Australia, legit breeders PTS at first blood - It's considered normal to drop adult, intact male rats in each others cage at any point with zero issues.
>>
>>2451010
I don't know about how it is in the US, but here (Denmark) the legit breeders I know generally don't recommend putting adult males together.

If they're all from good breeders with trusted blood lines there shouldn't be any problems, but most people don't buy contracted pedigree rats, they get them from shitty pet stores and end up with inbred/sick/aggressive rats.
>>
>>2451010
There's just so many backyard breeders in the states.
>>
>>2451010
What the fuck is PTS?
>>
>>2451392
Put To Sleep. Google next time friend.
>>
>>2450885
What kind of bedding do you use? Try to change to something with low dust and no dye if possible. I had such a rough time with allergies for my mouse, there's not a lot of info out there for small animals. Switch the bedding and see if it helps at all
>>
>>2451428
Next time just say euthanize or actually type out "put to sleep", which are terms everyone is going to understand instead of an abbreviation that only seems to get used on niche rat enthusiast forums.
>>
My 2 year old female rat developed a head tilt out of no where last week. She's been to the vet and is getting medicated but I'm looking for enrichment ideas for a floor bound rat.
I've moved her and my other old lady into a one level cage separate from the rest of the colony and I just want to make sure they dont get bored
>>
>>2439344
The only time a male would have one is if it's overweight. It's a secondary sex characteristic similar to breasts on human women.
That being said I have seen plenty of males with dewlaps (because people dont take proper care of their rabbits and let them get fat) so dont sex a rabbit based on that alone.
>>
File: download.jpg (12KB, 361x140px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
12KB, 361x140px
>>2429255
I use small amounts of horse dewormer to help kill mites! A small amount about the size of a grain of rice once a day for a week or two seems to work out for me. And my girls go crazy for it!
>>
>>2425838
I've worked at multiple pet stores including both chain and mom and pop. They ALL do this shit.
The only time i recommend getting an animal from a store is if it's through an adoption group because then the store itself isnt responsible for their care and does not get money for the sale.
>>
I have four C russian dwarfs. One of them started attacking the other three, so I separated him.

All was calm for like two weeks.

Now, one of the three hammies together has been bitten pretty badly.

Do I need to separate again? Should I separate the victim or the attacker, if I can work out which one it was?
>>
>>2451918
Honestly i dont recommend keeping them in groups. No more then two hams to a cage.
Figure out which of the 4 get along the best and pair them up accordingly.
>>
>>2451924
I'm really cut up about it. I've wanted a group for ages and thought I'd done the right research and got them a cage far bigger than they need to keep them happy. I was gutted when I had to remove one, but just thought he might be a 'bad egg' and knew it was always a possibility. To have to take out two is worse...

I'll try to see which pair works best, then. Thanks for your help.
>>
>>2451913
Well, I'm glad your rattos like it because my parents used to give this exact dewormer to ME as a kid for pinworms and it's fucking gross. Apple flavored my ass.
>>
File: speigelgallery-e1332174466456.jpg (45KB, 600x308px) Image search: [Google]
speigelgallery-e1332174466456.jpg
45KB, 600x308px
>>2451602
to be fair PTS or TBD is something you'd imagine people would understand on a board about animals, like UTD and GSD.
>>
>>2449881
>360 square feet
>>
File: 5345343.jpg (41KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
5345343.jpg
41KB, 600x600px
>>2452237
>tfw some hamsters have bigger cages than my flat
>>
Do we have no love for buns here?
>>
>>2452350
there's a designated bune thread
>>
File: 712487ccfdcdc3fd0c52e83c6aefc7bc.jpg (167KB, 1280x1106px) Image search: [Google]
712487ccfdcdc3fd0c52e83c6aefc7bc.jpg
167KB, 1280x1106px
>>
>>2452477
>dat coat
excellent craftmanship
>>
File: toast.jpg (31KB, 500x300px) Image search: [Google]
toast.jpg
31KB, 500x300px
My Syrian hamster is so scared of everything. Every little sound I make, or any sudden movement and he jumps or runs. He's super chill in my hands and never bites, but as soon as I take him out of his bin he barely moves and just lays flat. I've had him for about a month now.

Does he just need more time?
>>
I have 4 rats right now, and am considering breeding. None are fit to breed so I'm trying to take in a new girl, and pair it with a friend's buck. Is it fine to have a rat be single for the first few weeks to go through quarantine? I know I can't just add her to their cage without her feeling stressed or them getting territorial, and she will be a baby. I'd also want her to get a bit bigger/trust me and the others in the meantime. It shouldn't be a problem right?
>>
>>2452617
>Syrian
desu their people have been through a lot, his fear is reasonable
>>
File: IMG_20170810_164807.jpg (3MB, 3480x4640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170810_164807.jpg
3MB, 3480x4640px
Guys olease help me. My pet mouse doesn't want to eat any other food then baby oatmeal with soymilk. I give him dried fruits and vegetables, pieces of pasta, coconut flakes, yoghurt drops, dried seeds, nuts, grains, lentils, pellets, cat food.. I try everything. He just does not eat it. He's been eating the soft food eversince I saved him as a baby but he needs to start eating solid food for his teeth and balance in nutrition. But he only eats the soft meal. What do I do to get him to eat the other stuff?
>>
>>2436511
show boobies
>>
>>2452617
Does he have adequate space in his cage? Sometimes they will be more jumpy if they think they can't properly get away.

>>2452899
How old is he? Have you taken a look at his teeth? does he chew other stuff? Please tell me that's just a temporary cage for a picture or something.
>>
>>2453011

I think his cage is large enough. Got him one of these. Modified the lid with hardware cloth for ventilation. Got him a shitton of toys and hideaways too.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90102971/
>>
>>2423686
Where the fuck to people get cute pets from
I spent 2 hours today trying to hunt down a dwarf hotot breeder and no avail. There's no rabbits that are as cute as I want near me and I live in NY
WHERE ARE THESE TOP TIER ANIMALS COMING FROM?
>>
>>2452899
Get him some different textured stuff to chew if you're worried about the teeth issue. Bones, popsicle sticks (dipped in some fruit juice), cardboard, etc. to get a feel about what he likes to chew.

How often do you feed him this mix? Besides fruit/veges you shouldn't be giving him what could be considered a "treat" that often, or they'll expect it daily. Soft foods like peas, baby food, etc. will also make them lazy and not want to eat anything difficult. Rodents love grains and carbs, so he's probably on the fix with that too. One of my rats got really picky and wouldn't eat things, and she got kind of manipulative, but I'm not sure if mice are as smart. Still, assert control, and don't give in.

Also get a new cage. That's basically a prison and I don't see any toys in there. He's probably stressed too. You need about 2 cubic ft for a rat at least, probably same goes for mice.
>>
>>2452899
>>2453057
Unless there's some serious perspective fuckery going on in your picture, that cage isn't fit for anything but transport, .
>>
File: ApricotPudding (13 of 18).jpg (2MB, 1920x1280px) Image search: [Google]
ApricotPudding (13 of 18).jpg
2MB, 1920x1280px
>>2453275
>>2453302
Check the link, guys. It's obviously different.. The one in that pic is a carrier.

>>2452899
Just stop giving him the soft food entirely. Eventually he'll get hungry and eat what he has. He's not going to starve himself.

>>2452653
Hey anon! Can I ask what your goals are for breeding? A specific coat; colour; type; just health/temperament in general?
Not trying to be a dick or anything, just want to help however I can. I hate seeing people put off new breeders because they don't automatically know everything.

I know quarantine for health reasons is necessary in America - but you shouldn't have much of an issue with introducing a baby to other females. If you're super worried about putting her with the adults, I'd suggest getting another female from her litter just to keep her company. If she's alone for too long at that stage, she could develop social issues (leading to trouble when she's put in a group later, and potentially teaching those issues to her pups.)
>>
>>2423686
>Last one mysteriously died
Just like pocket pets do AH AH AH.
>>
>>2453322
I'm not trying to breed right now exactly, but in a few months if things go according to plan and I move in with other rat handling room mates. I'm hoping to work with coat colors, and temperament/health, then move on to crossing for more specific traits.

I'm trying to find a rat around 3 months old. Big enough to defend herself, with time to connect with me and the others. If she's been well handled, she'll adjust to me pretty soon. But if I can't, I'd have to get a young girl and it'll take a bit longer to size her up and get her to trust me, and do the introduction phases with the group over a few days/weeks. Do you think she'll be okay on her own for those first few weeks, in her own cage, as long as I'm at least socializing with her? I don't want to get a pair since we'll have a bigger group with my friend's rats, plus the litter.
>>
>>2452682
I don't mean to sound sappy, but I'm legitimately concerned for the wild hamster populations in Syria.
Will they be okay?
>>
>>2453399
They're native to Syria, but nowadays you can also find them in the wild in other countries, like China and Greece.

They're considered a vulnerable species though.
>>
My 2 year old rat's eyes are bulging out. It started with one, now it's both of them. He can close his eyelids and doesn't seem affected by it, but I wonder if it's because of a tumor. There's often clear liquid around his left eye, which I clean away daily. I also give him eye-drops, but his eyes have never been dry.

Any of you ever tried something similar? He's old, so surgery of any kind is out of the question.
>>
>>2453011
Thank youuu I put him in that thing when I clean his cage, so don't worry. He always tries to escape and chews the plastic when he is in there, so I figured there shouldn't be too much wrong with his teeth. Eventually I just stopped giving him the soft baby meal and left him with yoghurt drops, coco flakes, mixed dried greens and dry oats. He ended up eating the dry oats only.... I think he might just be really picky although I have never heard of mice being picky eaters. He needs to eat more than oats though, so I think I'm gonna have to leave him with no food other than a kind that he doesn't want to eat or something... Idk honestly.
>>
File: bully.jpg (314KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
bully.jpg
314KB, 1000x1000px
My guinea pig lost 80 grams since the 6th. Is this cause for concern? She's 1218g total now. She eats when I give her food, but I'm worried she's being bullied by the other ones and not eating as much hay since she's been getting skittish around the others after one of my other guinea pigs died of pneumonia. She and the one that died were part of the same duo then I brought in 3 new ones.
>>
File: shelf.jpg (440KB, 1220x686px) Image search: [Google]
shelf.jpg
440KB, 1220x686px
I've been lurking for a few a while now and you fucks have convinced me to get some kind of furball. I wanted to make my own enclosure and I found a small bookshelf that I think I might be able to turn into one. It has three compartments, each measuring 22.5" x 8.75" x 9.75". 8.75 inches isn't a lot of turning room, which is my biggest concern. What are my options?

I'd prefer something with fur as opposed to scales, but I'll listen to any suggestion. Worst case scenario is I just find something bigger and get a rat, which isn't a bad scenario.

Pic is one of the shelves with a numberbot for comparison.
>>
Today I strangled to death a hamset with my hand, because my mom asked me to, since kids got bored and nobody wanted to take care of it.
Am I a bad person?
>>
>>2455596
Yes.
>>
>>2455575
If you've been lurking you should know by now you need at least two rats. Sorry, people who keep them alone triggers me.

Your shelf setup could work nicely with mice, and if you only want one you can get a male (they'll kill each other in captivity)
>>
>>2455596
No your mom is a cunt for buying the kid a hamster and not taking care of it herself when the little shit got bored. Any pet is ultimately the adult's responsibility, and she didn't even have the guts to kill it herself.

Strangling is a retarded way to kill a hamster though. Break its neck or squash it with something heavy so it dies instantly instead.
>>
>>2455640
>Sorry, people who keep them alone triggers me.
You're right, I probably should have elaborated more. In the case I do get a new enclosure I would absolutely get 2 or more rats, I just didn't think it was worth mentioning since I don't plan on putting rats in the bookshelf.

Would a few hamsters be content with the it?
>>
>>2455596
Naw. I have a buddy who prekilled feeder mice by pinching their necks with his thumb & forefinger until they died. Takes about 30 secs... much quicker (& cheaper) than the co2 gassing method. Did you use a ligature like this guy?

https://youtu.be/sT_dGvLEhIc
>>
>>2455596
Your mom is a bad person
>>
>>2455596
>not just euthanizing it with baking soda/vinegar
>not just taking it to a rescue/putting it on craigslist
Did it look you in the eyes as you crushed the breath out of it? I get killing pests and vermin, but you guys literally got this pet to give it a loving home. I don't even feel mad, just sorry that you have to ask to feel empathy.
>>
>>2455669
You can't just mix rodents together. They have completely different social cues. Hamsters (at least males) are solitary and will possibly attack. Rats are also more aggressive with play, and may even kill and eat it. Do your research before you get a pet holy shit.
>>
>>2429011
Not really. Mine will sit still on my bed as long as i give him long pets. As soon as I stop, he gets up and nudges me.
>>
File: IMG-20160830-WA0001.jpg (190KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20160830-WA0001.jpg
190KB, 1200x1600px
My pet guinea pig just died. It lived with another male in a same two story cage, where both had their own floor and didn't get to see each other because they would fight on sight. Should I consider getting another pet for the surviving one's companion or just leave it as a hermit, as I don't know how it would cope to another animal. The dead one was it's father and they got along well when the other was younger and hierarchy was clear so there is no way to know if they would fight, and if so, the new one could be more social and require a friend. So I guess it is fine for a 2 year old guinea pig to live alone for the rest of it's life, right?
>>
are mice good animals to sneak into dorms? I heard they smell a lot
>>
>>2457435
since your guinea pig didn't actually bond with the other one i don't think that it being gone would affect the life of the other one
>>
>>2457135
That's not the question I was asking.

I'm asking if I could fit a few hamsters into the space or are the compartments too confined?
>>
>>2457135
Oh fuck I just noticed, I made a typo and said content with "the it" and not "the fit", sorry. Didn't know one letter would throw off a genius like yourself.
>>
>>2438263
large box, edible packing peanuts
>>
Neeeeheheheh.
>>
>>2430748
>Buns are often not too cuddly
BUT I WANT TO CUDDLE WIT BUNNY!!
>>
>>2455575
All together, if you removed the dividers, you could keep a few mice, a few gerbils, and dwarf hamsters. The dimensions aren't quite right but as far as square footage I think it would be sufficient.
>>2457435
If you want to continue getting guinea pigs, then why not? if you don't want to continue keeping guinea pigs too much longer I'd suggest trying to get an older male. If you want to kind of end it, then don't get another (especially since it sounds like he didn't care for other cavies). If you see yourself doing this for much longer, then you can get a baby if you want. Either way you will need to do a slow introduction and there is no telling if they will get along, you would have a better idea of that. I had an issue where I got 2 cavies, then one died young (like 3 or 4 years) so I got a companion, but then it was off-kilter. For fucking years I had one guinea pig that would die when the other was middle aged so i felt like i needed to get a companion until finally they both died one after another. Moral of the story is, if you don't want to keep guinea pigs, stop getting guinea pigs.
>>2457439
Not really, they do smell and they make a lot of noise in the middle of the night and very early morning. They also need a bigger space than most people think. Will this be your first time in a dorm?
>>2457554
I'm not much of a rat person, is that the normal state of their balls?
>>
>>2457644
not my first time in a dorm, i'm actually in my 3rd year of uni, i just really am longing a connection with an animal. all my roomates are partying vapers and im just sat there cringing
>>
File: 312432532.jpg (19KB, 180x317px) Image search: [Google]
312432532.jpg
19KB, 180x317px
>>2457554
>is that the normal state of their balls
Yes. They have huge balls, sometimes weirdly shaped. But the guy in the pic can't be very old, the testicles are normally completely covered by fuzz on adults.
>>
>>2457773
Meant as reply to >>2457644
>>
What is the most ethical way to get a rat? I'm guessing animal shelters don't keep them for adoption. Find someone on craigslist who's trying to get rid of one?
>>
>>2457856
A good breeder. Look around on FB rodent/rat groups, I found a good source of well-bred healthy rats in my area that way.
>>
>>2430748
>had a piebald lop-eared rabbit when i was a wee lad (not a bun, a RABBIT, the thing was the size of a small dog)
>had a pen but would run about some times too, only occasionally scattering pellets everywhere
>whenever my siblings and I went to bed my parents would let him out of his pen and he would run up stairs and check on us while we slept
>ate marigolds like they were popcorn
>fucked rubber balls like a stallion.

Rip, little buddy.
>>
>>2457856
Why just one? You need to keep them in pairs or more to be ethical.
>>
How sensitive are cavies to alliums? Can I use a knife that just chopped onion to cut their veggies? Can I use a cutting board that had garlic minced on it?
>>
Today I found a big scabbed over wound on one of my male rats, just above the base of his tail hidden by fur. I have no idea what caused it. He doesn't seem bothered, but the skin around it is red and I don't like the thickness of the scab, it's almost like a lump,

I've put some antibacterial salve on and around the area. What do you think it could be from?
>>
>>2457468
Good way to get advice, be rude to an anon who was concerned about the health of animals because of your mistake

Get over yourself
>>
>>2457963
go to the fucking vet
>>
File: margaret.png (436KB, 526x706px) Image search: [Google]
margaret.png
436KB, 526x706px
I have been taking care of my rabbit for 2.5 years now. I'm going on vacation for 10 days and my only option is to move her to my mother's place temporarily. Will she be ok and will she remember me when I'm back?
>>
>>2458081
yep she'll remember you, they are smarter than you think don't fret
>>
>>2457986
praise
>>
http://www.dreammtnfarm.com/rattery/Adoption%20Information.htm

>~ If for ANY reason you ever need to place or rehome a Dream Mtn baby you are required to contact me! Any new home must be approved by me if you wish to place a rat adopted from me to insure the safety, and well being of our rat kids, and to keep track of their where abouts. Do not EVER rehome an Dmtn baby without our knowledge or consent!

Is this normal?
>>
>>2458280
Yes. It's standard for most serious breeders. One of my guys is on contract, I have to get back to the breeder twice a year with a health/behavioral update and I can't breed or give him to someone else without permission.
>>
>>2458280
Or what?
>>
>>2458532
Blacklisted/shunned by breeder community. No one wants to sell to a blacklisted buyer.
>>
Rats are amazing. I've had some rough introductions and respiratory health issues but they're easily the best small pet.
>>
>>2458787
Yeah, some are more intense than that. Even though it's their business, these are still their babies man. I wouldn't want my hard work going to some idiot who can't even take care of a rat when someone who can actually take care of it have the right over them. Some will even lawyer up on that shit apparently.
>>
>>2458798
Why would you keep animals that give you health issues?
>>
>>2458858
I'm not >>2458798 but it's called compassion, one of the few good human traits.
>>
>>2458858
I think you misunderstood anon. It's the rats who have respiratory health issues.
>>
>>2458280
It is for serious breeders, they don't want their breed or line to be muddled by byb and they want to ensure their animals go to good homes and not be abused/neglected or homeless.
>>2458532
If you sign a contract there could be some legal issues, which will cost more in time than most anything else. Word gets around and you may be put on a do not adopt list. Although I'd be more polite about it if I were the breeder, being a dick gets you nowhere.
>>
How much do rats smell? Are they like ferrets?
>>
>>2459546
Meaning do they fill up your home with a pungent odor similar to how ferrets will.
>>
>>2459548
>>2459546
no, they piss everywhere pretty much constantly but they don't have a smell like ferrets do, just piss
>>
looking to get myself a cute lil bunny. any advice on breed, gender and how to house them? should i get a pair or just one? I don't want to do breeding
>>
>>2441427
my boy interacts with me a lot because i give him treats n shit
hes actually looking at me now

i had mice for 8 years
but always together
this is the first time i just have one guy by himself
so far hes outlived everyone

i feel like companionship is good but it can also be stressful
>>
>bought a hamster from petsmart

Oh no the poor baby
>>
Rats or ferrets?
>>
>>2453322
>cat & rat
this cannot end well anon
>>
>>2459546
Boys smell worse because they like to mark, and will drag their balls/tails through it, but no musk. Girls are about as smelly as a hamster. They clean themselves, so if you keep their cage clean, and it's big, they're genuinely fine. I also use odor-absorbant bedding though, some people use fleece to save money but that I don't like doing laundry. It only ever smells near the cage and that's if I don't clean it for several days.
>>
>>2459830
Rats. You'll notice the type of people to own ferrets are genuinely degenerates who act like them (aggressive, dirty, lazy). Go on your local petfinder and you'll see a fuck ton of ferrets have been let go of by their owners because they suck.

All they do is fucking fight, shit, eat, and sleep.
>>
"Mysteriously died"
>>
>>2458076
I did and turns out it was ringworm, gotten some cream to put on it and it's already looking a lot better after 2 days.
>>
>>2459666
My mouse was friendly and never bit, but I can't really say that all mice are like that. Most people I know with mice can't handle theirs too much
>>
>>2460099
Be extremely careful, ringworm is highly contagious to people and other mammals. Scrub your hands and wash everything.
>>
File: NoIi9ol.jpg (108KB, 700x786px) Image search: [Google]
NoIi9ol.jpg
108KB, 700x786px
>>
>>2461441
hahah look at this doopy baby
>>
>>2461152
Yeah, I've washed everything down and he shouldn't be contagious anymore (the scabs are gone and he's been under treatment for 48+ hours) so I just hope I've been lucky and it didn't get to spread.
>>
One of my rats likes to tear things apart. Nothing I try to give her as a toy lasts a single day.

Is there anything you suggest that would satiate her insane lust for destruction without spending unreasonable amount of money per day?
>>
>>2462001
The flesh of the innocent?
>>
>>2462026
Nobody is innocent.
>>
>>2462001
You can make diy "puzzle" toys. Put a treat inside paper towel tubes or glued together popsicle sticks that she has to chew to get into. She's either bored or a construction rat. My girl is the same way but has to chew cardboard that's outside the cage for some reason.
>>
>>2462031
I've been raised in a vat for the last seventy years. This post is the first interaction I've had with the world other than my charitable work.
>>
>>2457856
Get them from a breeder for your own sake, rats die very quickly and easily. Good genetics, a previous diet of healthy food etc. all contribute to getting a tiny bit of longevity out of them.
>>
Looking for some advice here, my dwarf hamster has recently started moving his wood shavings around frantically, like he'll emerge from his nest/bed and spend five minutes furiously digging down to plastic and moving the shavings by digging with his front paws and shoving it back through his hind legs.

Recently I've:
a) come back off a few days holiday where I left him with some new food (not by choice), on my return it looked like he'd been eating but had left on type of pellet more than the rest - went out and bought his old food and mixed, as well as giving him some fresh veggies.

b) cleaned the top part of his cage as I thought his behaviour could be caused by his nest getting dirtier than normal

He's still doing it, but less.

Also, the sort of squeak/click hamsters do, is this a good or bad thing? I've read it to be bruxing which is a sign of happiness, normally when he sees me and I'm feeding him fresh stuff he makes the noise, but sometimes he'll just be running around on my hands or in his cage making the same noise too...
>>
>>2462241
Bruxing is tied to activity, having fun/happiness usually. With diet, you want to mix new staple food in a little at a time to avoid any stomach upsets, over a couple weeks.

Plus keep in mind most rodents are fossorial, meaning they like to burrow and build nests. It might just be yours personality. I had a pet mouse who did this, and would dig under the bedding, while all the others didn't.
>>
>>2462001
try this >>2462062 just look up paper towel/toilet paper roll toys for cats and use that for your rat. Also old socks are fun
>>2457856
Shelters do carry rats, but I imagine you'd have to jump on them because of how many people are specifically looking for older rats and how few people actually bother surrendering their rats to a shelter. You can also find reputable breeders.
>>
How bad do ferrets smell? What about their cages? Assuming i clean their shit anf stuff daily
>>
>>2462588
It's not so much their waste, but the glands they have that produce their musky odor.
>>
File: IMG-20160520-WA0003.jpg (684KB, 2688x1520px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20160520-WA0003.jpg
684KB, 2688x1520px
Newfag here. Can I show off one of my pigs?
>>
>>2433860
Sometimes you just want to own a weird gremlin pet
>>
Lemmings as pets????!?!??!
>>
>>2463024
is it legal in your state?
>>
File: 1501217061791.jpg (758KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
1501217061791.jpg
758KB, 1536x2048px
>>2462903
So how bad does it radiate from them? Can you usually smell it throughout the whole room theyre in or just when youre next to them?

Im just wondering cause im thinking about getting one but my friend says you can smell them throughout the house.

Also do they usually get along with cats?
>>
File: 1503251537589.jpg (2MB, 1988x3056px) Image search: [Google]
1503251537589.jpg
2MB, 1988x3056px
About to purchase a hamster for the first time (last pet was a beta like 15 years ago). Currently plan on setting his cage like 6 feet away from my computer setup but behind it so the light is not directly on him.

Is this a good idea? Or will the ambient noises (I wear headphones 24/7) stress him out too much for his first few days?

Pic entirely unrelated.
>>
>>2463184
sounds like hes just going to be an ornament for your desk maybe get another fish
>>
>>2463134
>So how bad does it radiate from them?
Different anon, but it's bad. Few people like that musky odor.
>Can you usually smell it throughout the whole room
Yes. And it lingers. And sticks to your clothing.
That said, guests couldn't tell I had ferrets. And it was a hell of a lot of maintenance to keep it that way.
High quality food, a ventilation fan in the ceiling, washing bedding every week or sooner and wiping down cage, keeping them confined to a single room, scooping shit several times a day and using highly absorbent litter.

>Also do they usually get along with cats?
Depends on the cat. Ferrets are like high energy kittens their entire lives and some cats don't want to put up with that bullshit.
>>
>>2463099
Probably not
>>
>>2463546
I'm just talking about the first few days, I have no intention of just leaving him in the corner.
>>
>>2462588
Same question but with rats. Also do they lose hair?
>>
>>2463716
Rats don't really shed noticeably, they groom themselves consistently throughout the day (their scent is very important to them.) Their cage can smell, especially if you aren't using odor absorbing bedding, but they themselves usually just smell like flour. Intact males will smell more because they pee to mark and get it all up on their balls.
>>
>>2463716
Rats don't loose much hair, they don't shed like Guinea pigs or dogs.

They smell like other rodents, barely noticeable if you clean at least once a week. Males tend to have a more musky scent. You can help mask any smell with good bedding like hemp.
>>
>>2463726
>>2463731
Thank you both very much! I think I will get my first pair soon. Are there noticable differences between males' and females' behavior? I guess males are more agressive, but other anons said that if they are raised well they shouldn't attack each other.
>>
File: IMG_0072.jpg (220KB, 1080x1440px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0072.jpg
220KB, 1080x1440px
Bll of floof
>>
That chinchilla is aesthetic as fuck
>>
>>2463761
what an awful cage
>>
>>2463763
What is wrong with the cage?
>>
>>2440628
man weasels are cute as h*ck
>>
>>2463731
>>2463726
Any real world experience with adding a couple of drops of vanilla in their water bottle to help negate the male smell in their urine?
>>
>>2463759
Males tend to be lazier and will hang around you more, and females are more curious and will roam more. At least that's in general, they all have their own personalities.
>>
File: ratball.jpg (10KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
ratball.jpg
10KB, 259x194px
I have a few rats and have been wanting to add more sleeping options to their cage. I saw hamster balls on eBay for like .99 cents but shipping will take a long time, they should be able to fit in them right?
>>
>>2463759
Young males play-fight a lot, it can sound pretty serious, but it usually isn't. As long as there's no blood, no foul.

They're still fairly quiet and calm compared to other rodents. Never been bit by any of my rats, while my guinea pigs and hamster often accidentally bit my fingers when I gave them food or if they got spooked.
>>
File: 110547.jpg (49KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
110547.jpg
49KB, 480x480px
>>2464817
Maybe? A rat is a lot bigger than a hamster though, so maybe not.

You can just hang up some old towels and make hammocks. Or some one dollar plastic baskets with shredded paper in them. Mine love to sleep in those. .
>>
File: boys.jpg (136KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
boys.jpg
136KB, 960x540px
My father rat and his two sons are absolutely inseparable.
>>
I was told to post this here:

My SO surprised me for my birthday by getting me two pet rats!

I was and still am over visiting my parents and he came and showed me a photo.

I'm really torn guys. The cage looks very big but we live in a very small two bedroom flat with 3 people. It's got a shared kitchen and living room (where the rattos would stay) which is very often full of cooking smells, and can get very hot and smokey when we cook in it.

Also our flat is cramped as it is and can be busy and loud. I don't think this is a good environment for rats.

I love animals - but doubt the rats' quality of life if we kept them. I burst into tears when I found out.

The place he got them from would take them back and he also has a friend that could take them (but he lives hours away).

I've never had rats before I'm totally torn as to what to do. I love the idea of pet rats but hate to think there's any chance I couldn't give them the quality of life I deserve.

Thoughts? I want what's best for the rats!
>>
>>2465063
Can the rattos be moved into your bedroom? They're SOMEWHAT noisy at night (depends what you give them to play with desu) but I never have trouble sleeping through it, and if anything I find it kind of soothing. I also have 7, not 2, so I doubt yours would be as loud. They don't stink if you clean their cage regularly and remove any poops they leave (which are non-gross, they quickly dry up into hard pellets).

Rats have very sensitive lungs and are susceptible to (usually lethal) lung problems, so ventilation is a very real concern.
>>
>>2423686
Just found 2 small mice in my garden. My grandma told me she saw one about two days ago while watering the plants and she wanted to buy poison to get rid of them. Instead I opted to find and save them.

Right now they are inside a big enough box for two mice. It's full of dirt and some grass. They have water and also gave them some crackers and bits of cheese. They won't eat yet, I assume they're scared shitless for now.

What should I do about them? Should I just let them free in the nearest park? Should I keep them? They're cute as fuck.
>>
>>2465162
My room is too small. I thought about my hall but it has no natural light so that seems un fair. The ventilation thing is my main Concern!
>>
>>2465177
Rats are mostly nocturnal, I wouldn't call an absence of natural light that much of an issue. Conversely, strong artificial light can cause them a lot of stress--their eyes are attuned to nighttime and strong light causes them a lot of stress. If your hallway is not too bright and is dark at night, it should be fine. Make sure they have places to hide in total darkness during the day. But, fresh air is important, they need access to fresh air.
>>
>>2465190
This is very useful. My hallway is basically always dark unless the light is on - during the day there's maybe a wee bit of light from the doors. No airflow really but I could just prop the door into the kitchen living room open when we're not cooking and open all the windows
>>
>>2465202
I think they'd be fine.

Make sure they are NOT a breeding pair. I bought my original pair very young, the pet store mis-sexed them, and soon I had 13 rats instead of 2. If they're adults, the males have massive visible nutsacks, but as kittens the males and females can be hard to differentiate.

Rats also have very strong personalities. Some of mine resist leaving the cage, some of them basically run out as soon as I open the door. You're gonna learn over time what kind of activities they enjoy, and it might involve taking them out of the cage and playing with them or letting them run around a rat-proof area (bathrooms are good for this, just cover all vents/block under the door).

Rats are also escape artists, they will exploit any fault in your environment to go explore where you don't want them to. If they can fit their head into a gap, they can fit their entire body into that gap, so be careful with what they're allowed to get into. My big male rat ran away once, but all he did is run to the female cage and try to get some pussy and I lured him back with a handful of cheerios.

Google ANYTHING you're going to feed them, some "rat food" is literally unsafe and will kill them. Kaytee food is infamous for this although their non-food products are typically okay. I feed all of mine Oxbow, but whatever you feed them as a staple should be a uniform kibble ("lab block" is what rat people typically call it) and not a mixture of different things like seeds/nuts/grains, because that gives them the ability to pick and choose their favourite bits and not get a rounded diet. Rats are obsessed with junk food and will kill themselves on salt/sugar/fat if they can, they taste it about 10x as intensely as humans. Young rats need supplemental protein (eggs, plain yogurt, cheese, plain chicken cooked without spices or oil) if you feed them adult rat food.
>>
>>2465214
I've been reading about rattos all day but this information is very useful! Ive not bee n home yet as I'm staying at my folks tonight but I'll check their food when I'm home and maybe hardboil them some eggs (but will Google first to see if that's safe for them!)
>>
>>2465225
Sounds good! One protein dish per week (one boiled egg, a comparable volume of chicken, etc) is enough to give that extra protein to young rats. Too much can be hard on their stomach.

Also don't be alarmed if yours like to fight--if you see them biting at each other's necks and pinning each other down, it's a form of play. If they're biting each other's ass/tail area and causing real wounds they need to be separated, but it's unlikely to happen if they lived together wherever they were purchased from.

Good luck! These guys are awesome and simple once you vibe with them, and they can be very affectionate.
>>
File: angry arnold.png (141KB, 355x324px) Image search: [Google]
angry arnold.png
141KB, 355x324px
>>2465175
pls respond
>>
>>2465329
>happily romping around in a free world, eating insects, fucking, watching out for owls and cats, etc
>ground starts vibrating, freeze.. don't move!
>suddenly abducted by 6 ft tall, hairless, tailless, apelike thing
>thrown into artificial environment less than 2 sq ft.
>the food ain't bad, but still...

Yeah let 'em go.
>>
>>2465416
>6 ft tall
Man, I wish.

And like I've said before, it was that or getting poisoned. Also, I have a dog and my neighbour has a cat so there's that.
Thread posts: 331
Thread images: 91

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.