[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

There is a bat with a broken wing on my porch. Can bats even

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: 4632070_orig.jpg (20KB, 403x267px) Image search: [Google]
4632070_orig.jpg
20KB, 403x267px
There is a bat with a broken wing on my porch. Can bats even fully heal from a broken wing? Should I just kill it? What are my options?
>>
>>2422698
they have great healing factor. call a wildlife rehab center if you can. if not...fuck idk put some thick gloves on and put it in a milk crate stuffed with a blanket and toss on some mealworms? if you get rabies i'm not responsible because I'm just here to post smug anime girls and talk about bugs
>>
>>2422725
seems legit
>>
>>2422725
>>
give it some water to drink
>>
I would seriously advise against handling bats. They are vectors for a shitton of diseases they may show no symptoms of, including rabies, which is deadly and has no cure. You don't even need to be bitten, just coming in contact with saliva is enough to spread it.
>>
>>2423298
This. Sorta. Getting licked by a rabid bat won't give you rabies. The saliva has to get in you, but you don't want to risk that either. Fresh salvia dripping or on the bats body you don't want rubbing into any sores or cuts.

On top of that, bats are not easy to take care of. I don't think a wildlife rehab is worth it for one injured, probably very common bat. A baby or a heat wave may be one thing but even if our could get it to someone to help it's chances are pretty slim especially if it's been out for awhile.
Not sure how rehab places work with bats much myself either. I know many refuse rabies risk animals such as raccoons and skunks even if they show now sign - they are out down immediately. I remember that happening with an albino raccoon that pissed every one off because it was just a risk they didn't want to take.
>>
bats general when
>>
>>2422698
Former "volunteer" at a rehab center. I'd suggest that IF you can't bring it to your nearby center you do the following:
>Housing
Like >>2422725 said some crate or even a tupperware with holes and a blanket on it so it can climb up and stay vertically. Also try to make sure it doesn't get too much light.

>Feeding
Give it some AD critical care mixed with a bit of water (enough to have a somewhat fluid sauce) and feed him with a syringe. To do so you piss him off a bit until it opens the mouth and then put some drops in its mouth, wait until he finish for another round. When you see that it isn't sucking more (or the 5ml syringe is empty) stop and come back about 2 hours later.

>Handling
Depends on the species but I'd say that if yours isn't too big (think of Myotis myotis as example of big) using nitrile gloves you're golden.

As they said before bats are very fucking resilient, apparentely they can fly without problems with the membranes relatively torn up, even DNA analysis are made with a fragment of it and they can heal it without problems. So if you see that it is more or less able to fly just place him where you found it.
>>
>>2425277
>>2425277
savage advice they have rabies
>>
>>2425288
A small bat like Pipistrellus isn't able to pierce a nitrile glove, and I doubt that any European/temperate climate bat can chew through stronger gloves like leather gloves. I have taken care of bats and even though they tried to bit me in the fingers they weren't able to do nothing.
>>
>>2422698

KIll it now!
>>
>>2423298
>>2425288
>Bats have rabies!
Less than .05% of the entire bat population in the world have rabies. Consider how rabies is spread: saliva enters the bloodstream of a mammal, which causes the disease to affect the animal. For mammals like dogs and foxes, this takes the form of getting attacked by a rabid animal without getting killed. This rarely happens with bats, as they have the entire sky to avoid a potential threat. Rabid raccoons or weasels can attack a bat nest during the day, true, but for many species of bats it's zero-sum game: either they die, or they escape and they're fine. Very rarely do bats attacked by rabid raccoons/weasels contract the disease.

That's not to say that it's impossible, nor that you shouldn't take precautions when handling bats (they do still carry a lot of gross bacteria that you don't want getting into your blood), but spreading the idea that all bats have rabies is completely and utterly ridiculous and is a contributing factor towards their dwindling numbers (because dumbasses like you advocate the genocide of innocent bat populations simply because "they might have rabies").
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.