[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dogs: Male vs Female

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 6

File: 450px-Belgian_Groenendael_-_MEN.jpg (43KB, 450x600px) Image search: [Google]
450px-Belgian_Groenendael_-_MEN.jpg
43KB, 450x600px
Are there any general temperament differences between male and female dogs?

Is one generally more trainable than another? More affectionate? More protective? Anything like that?
>>
I've always heard females(assuming unspayed ones) are typically less tolerant of other females and some breeds like akitas don't do well with same sex dogs but I've only ever had females with none of those problems. May depend more on the breed.

The shitty male dogs I've been around are neurotic aggressive humping faggots but the good ones didn't act any different from a good female in my experience. I'd say a lot of behavior between them depends on training and whether or not they are altered.
>>
For the most part it boils down to whether or not you want to look at doggy dick all the time

Some people are comfortable with it, some aren't
>>
>>2421933
doggy dicks arent out all the time. they have a sheath
>>
>>2421914

Unneutered male dogs always cause problems at my local dog park.
>>
>>2421914
Plenty of males local shelters because they tend to run out and away more than females.
>>
Trainability, affection, guarding, all these traits have more to do with the dog breed and what the breed's purpose is rather than sex.

The difference in my experience is that males piss fucking EVERYWHERE, which makes the smell of their urine more offensive because it's spread out all over your yard instead of puddles in the grass.
Had a deck at an old house and my boy would piss on one specific wood post. Stripped the paint off it after years of pissing on the same post.

Breed is a big factor in the overall health of the animal, but sex also plays a part. IIRC, unaltered males are the "healthiest." (overall, because they don't get mammary cancer)
Then spayed females. (greatly reduces chance of mammary cancer)
>>
>>2422094
I generally prefer females because I don't like the constant sight of penis. This is just a personal preference of course and I'm fine with males; even have one myself.
>>
>>2421914
Female dogs tend to get jealous more often, and may lash out at any new company. Male dogs also have more of a tendency to be aggressive to other dogs in general.
All in all, it's really just a matter of training and the dog's own individual temperament.
>>
>>2422094
>the smell of their urine more offensive because it's spread out all over your yard
that's why you walk your dog to other yards for them to do their business

>my experience is that males piss fucking EVERYWHERE
my last female marked territory just as much as any male dog i've seen.
>>
>>2422094
Females can mark as well. You have no control over this either.
>>
Females
>generally more clingy
>more likely to develop separation anxiety
>heat cycles, if unspayed, ruin the doggy experience
>Tend to dislike other female dogs in the household

Males
>More independent
>More interested in exploration
>more likely to be aloof toward strangers in the home
>Intact males that are exposed to females in heat completely ruins the doggy experience

The differences between genders are very minor. Breed is a better indicator of train ability, affection, and protectiveness. I personally prefer male dogs. I have four males and one female right now, and in the past I've had two other females. I think male dogs are generally less problematic and more willing to accept authority. I probably won't adopt, rescue, foster, or purchase another female dog in my lifetime unless she is spayed before I bring her into my home. Worst experience of my life. I live on a back country road in the sticks. All of my neighbors have anywhere from 3-12 (not kidding) dogs. When my bitch went into her first heat I had so many dogs outside on my property it wasn't funny. My male dogs also were losing their mind. One of them chewed through a door to get at her.
>>
>>2422132
>>2422138
Yeah this.
My aunt's dog also does this thing where she scrapes at the soil behind her with her rear paws when she's done pissing.
>>
>>2422140
My intact male doggo is super clingy, always wants to be right next to me and he also always greets strangers very warmly and goes to play with them. He's some kinda hound
>>
>>2421914
In terms of livestock dogs, I've found females to be better at the job than males.
For pets, I've never noticed a difference. It all boils down to the individual dog.
>>
File: Simpsons_angry.jpg (50KB, 576x416px) Image search: [Google]
Simpsons_angry.jpg
50KB, 576x416px
>>2422220
>>
>>2422242
>who's

Autism
>>
Females can get bitchy.....go figure.

Males can get adventurous.

No big surprises, really.
>>
If I want a dog from a breed known to be somewhat difficult to train/stubborn, dominant, and more prone to aggression than average (particularly toward other animals, mostly dogs, I think), I should get a female, right?

I want a dog that I can teach a lot, that can pull a cart (to help us carry groceries home), that can pull a scooter (good exercise for the dog), and can be protective if ever necessary (obviously far from the level of a trained dog, but at least vocal and intimidating in appearance). The breed can do all of these things, and the pups' recent ancestors are athletes, herders, and service dogs.

I will fix my dog, but not until it's fully grown (to prevent hip dysplasia), if that makes any difference. I'm also going to take the time to extensively train and socialize it when it's young.

The breeder temperament tests to give the puppies to the families they're most suited too, though, so does that pretty much override possible sex differences?
>>
>>2422368
What breed? You can't just not name that.
By the way, spaying or neutering will not prevent hip problems but yes, altering too early can effect growth. I'm only telling you this because if the breed you want is prone to hip problems then you need to be aware and prepared for that and not just think it won't happen if you alter them. It's just engrained in many breeds.

You should also look into cart pulling training so you don't accidentally ruin your dog's body. If you are getting a puppy then you need to hold off for whatever amount of time depending on the breed. You wouldn't want to overstrain it, especially a still growing puppy.
>>
>>2422405
I'm looking at a Beauceron.

The parents' hips and elbows are good, as are the grandparents'. Altering too young indeed affects bone and muscle development, including hips. I did quite a bit of reading on it. I know the risk is always present even with good genes, so I want to do everything I can to minimize the possibility.

I also know only adults can pull. Puppies can be introduced to having the harness on them and dragging a light load (like a rope), but nothing remotely strenuous.
>>
>>2421937
My uncles dog had an issue where there was no sheathed or something and it was just out all the time
>>
>>2422368
I saw that you're looking into a beauceron but as someone who has a dog whose breed is prone to dog aggression, I will say I've heard that same sex aggression is typically worse among females of these breeds and it's much more common. My dog isn't fully mature yet, so I've no idea if a switch will flip when she hits 18mo or if she'll continue to love every other dog she meets.

A lot of it seems to be tied to socialization and their initial temperament but I do think the breed plays a huge role in whether or not a dog shows aggression toward other dogs, even if it's just growling and snarling vs full on attacking.
>>
>>2422414
Never had or met one but I have experience with collies, heelers and some other 'herding' dogs. If they are anything like them they are good dogs but that is if you have the time to keep them busy busy busy. Beaucerons seem to have more aggression in that they're also guard dogs and I would imagine they may be more of a handle. You already mentioned training and socialization but find some forums and read up on personal experiences with them and their individual dogs.
>>
>>2422368
Malinois used to be trained to pull carts, IIRC.
>>
>>2422838
I'm looking at Beaucerons, but thank you. I don't think Mals are right for me.
>>
>>2422762
I've heard the same. Female vs female dog fights result in more deaths and severe injuries than any other match-up.

>>2422769
Beaucerons are more like livestock guardian dogs than herders, although they were bred to do both.

I scavenge everyday for information on them. I've discussed with the breeder I'm considering buying from, as well. The problem is there's not that much to read (I even look at French and German language resources), and what there is, is often conflicting. "They're easy to train. No, they're stubborn." "They have a high prey drive. No, they don't." And so on.

I like that they're active, loyal, affectionate, healthy for a large purebred, intelligent, protective, suited to my climate, can pull light loads, and are not affected by breed specific legislation or housing insurance policies. But there doesn't seem to be consensus on trainability or innate aggression. Knowing that, and knowing any general differences between males and females, I could make a more informed decision on what sex to get. Or there's so little difference between male and female that I shouldn't request a sex alongside temperament. And I'm curious about affection and energy level, independence, bravery, watchfulness, and so on, too.
>>
>>2421914
don't fuck your dog, anon
>>
>>2423133
I also want to note I've had dogs in the past (two beagles, a Greyhound, an Akita-mix, and an APBT/Lab mix), but I don't think I can make fair comparisons given the massive range in breed and background. I was also really young when my family had the latter two. Both were sweet dogs, by the way.

Comparisons with my friends' and family's dogs are hard for the same reasons.
>>
>>2423135
Literally no reason not to if it wants it and you don't hurt them
>>
>>2423212
>Raping a pet
They can't consent anon, no matter what you tell the judge.
>>
>>2423218
>Mute people can't consent because they can't talk
Huh
>>
>>2423220
PLease stop trying to move the goalposts anon, dog's however smart the breed do not have the ability to consent, deaf people can write blind people can say consent dog's are another species and do not have any knowledge, nor could they ever have or will, of consent.
>>
>>2423228
They make it pretty fucking obvious if they're interested or not and will even seek you out when they're in the mood.
>>
males wont bleed all over your carpet
>>
>>2423544
This, I'm surprised you're the only one to mention it.
Period blood is fucking disgusting.
>>
>>2423611
Dogs' menstrual blood is thankfully very different from humans.
Also there are dog panties made just for this too.
Still, better have her spayed.
>>
>>2422094
>IIRC, unaltered males are the "healthiest." (overall, because they don't get mammary cancer)

Actually, some neutered males are less likely to get cancer after the op.
>>
>>2423228
If, as you say, they have no understanding of consent, and are completely incapable of ever understanding it, then it's pretty moronic to hold them to a standard that requires them to do something they cannot do.

You're wrong in any case; animals display their ability to consent (and refuse) all the time. For example if your dog allows you to take their toy, that's clearly consent is it not? And if they instead growl and bite at you, that's a clear refusal.
Animals are not the mindless husks incapable of self-preservation and decision-making that you think they are.

If you REALLY want to crusade against zoophilia, maybe try opening with an actual point, such as the fact that humans always strive to train their pets to consent to every action, and how that falls under dubious consent in terms of sexual interaction.
>>
>>2421933
I don't know anyone that feels uncomfortable with doggo dick
>>
File: image.jpg (43KB, 331x487px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
43KB, 331x487px
Last call.
>>
>>2423932
It is fairly uncomfortable when it is in your ass
>>
File: Capture.png (59KB, 812x240px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
59KB, 812x240px
>>2423792
http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongTermHealthEffectsOfSpayNeuterInDogs.pdf
>>
Good evening, sorry for english, I'm doggo.
I want to know what is better as a pet.

Are there any general temperament differences between male and female humans?

Is one generally more trainable than another? More affectionate? More protective? Anything like that?
>>
>>2421914
>>2425304
Just get two male pitbulls, OP.
You can't go wrong with that.
>>
>>2425335
When if your parents walk in on you
>>
>>2425994
I'd suggest avoiding female humans. They need consistent and firm training-otherwise they do all kimds of crazy things, like take your wedding gift cards to bed bath and beyond and spend them on useless knick knacks like cherry pitters and pineapple slicers.
>>
>>2421914
It is no coincidence that the expletive "bitch" has been accepted into common use for an uncooperative and ill-tempered woman.
>>
>>2421939
Fucking this the neutering is purely for the temperament in my opinion a good way too
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.