[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

HELP WITH NEWBORN BLACKBIRD

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: birdo.jpg (100KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
birdo.jpg
100KB, 720x1280px
This little guy has fallen in my courtyard, and is too young to fly by himself. I live in a city, so the courtyard is closed between other blocks (it's not outdoors). There's no way of finding the nest he fell from, plus it's probably inside someone else's property.

There are a few problems with this situation. First of all I live with two cats, and they hurt him before we had a chance to save him. He also seems hurt from the fall. Where I live it's saturday night and everything is closed, so we can't take it to the vet until monday. It would also be hard to buy bird food.

So far we have put him inside a cat cage so that he doesn't get lost or stuck in our house and the cats can't catch him. What else should I do? We tried feeding him a worm (pic related) and gave him some water in a cup but is not trying anything. What else can I feed him? Should I try to make him fly, or just wait for the vet?

TL,DR: blackbird newborn has fallen in my courtyard, he can't fly and we can't find or get to the nest, all vets are closed until Monday. How should I take care of him?

(deleted previous thread because picture was not flipped)
>>
Put it back.
This is a fledgleing, it is done with being in the nest. This is a period in its life where it hops around on the ground while its parents feed it, until it learns to fly.
Put it back or you will kill it.
>>
>>2420896
Put it back where? My courtyard is enclosed by 10m tall cement walls, I have no idea where he fell from and doesn't seem to be able to fly anywhere. You think he will learn by himself?
>>
>>2420899
Yes, he will learn by himself. It seems weird, but they naturally get kicked out of the nest at this age. You can easily identify a fledgeling by it having feathers. Any true baby bird will have no feathers.

Leave it in your courtyard and pay attention to see if the parents are still coming around or it. If you look outside right now you will probably see two very loud angry birds looking for their baby. But, they do sometimes disappear all day and only do a couple checkups. You can tell they have been maintaining it up until now since it isn't skinny.
The other possibility is that a competitor bird stole the fledgleing and dropped it in your courtyard, in which case the parents won't know where it is. Just see if they show up after a couple days of watching. If it makes a lot of noise outside that is good, it helps the parents locate and feed it.
>>
>>2420901
Ok cool I have put it outside again. It's a bit annoying because the cats have their sand outside but we will manage. There were two birds chirping loudly at the start when the fledgeling fell, but they left before we could do anything, and haven't returned since (about 2 hours ago).

Thanks for the advice.
>>
>>2420904
Awesome! Sounds like the parents know just where it is. Birds are pretty dumb IMO, but thanks for listening. Half of the time these fledgeling posts end up with anon killing the bird.
>>
>>2420896
>baby bird will be much safer on the ground, where there are more predators, than in a tree where nothing can reach it

Why do birds do this
>>
>>2421638
It takes time to make an adult but you can always make more babies
>>
>>2421638
It builds character.
>>
>>2420904
keep your cats inside, you smelly retard
>>
Mods: Please make a sticky so that inbred fucking retards like OP stop killing fledglings.

OP: I hope you get aids and your cats die of cancer, you useless piece of shit.
>>
Small update in case anyone cares: bird is freely roaming in the courtyard and his parents have been feeding him food and shit. He seems fine. Also it's cute because he is not scared of me and opens his mouth when I approach the finger, I fed him a small worm earlier. How long is he going to be like this?

>>2421657
They have the sand outside so that it doesn't smell. Also keep in mind that "outside" means my inner courtyard.

>>2421665
Calm down faggot the fledgling is healthy.
>>
>>2421638
Apparently, there are a lot of predators like snakes, birds, and rodents that will snatch hatchlings out of the nest. They learn the location of the babies by the noises and smells they make when growing. I guess the idea is that the longer they stay in the nest, the higher the chance a predator will locate and eat them. So by kicking them out, they can change the location in the last weeks before maturity. It is basically a gamble against predation.
>>
>>2421741
Yeah, baby birds are basically just poop machines that require food from anything that moves. Feeding it by hand had to be pretty cute though

>>2421665
>>2421657
Stop shitting on OP, he actually listened to advice unlike most.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.