[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hermit Crabs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

Anyone else got these little buggers?
>>
I had 2 for a few years until I found them both out of their shells, dead. I still don't know what happened, really cool guys to observe tho.
>>
>>2420962
Don't you need to give them new shells as they grow?
>>
>>2420992
Yup

Preferably, keep six different shells of varying sizes per crab. It helps cut down on fighting over shells.
>>
These are undoubtedly the greatest first pet for kids
>>
>>2421026
>could live 20+ years
>get killed in a few weeks/months by every uninformed retard that buys them
sure make great pets huh
>>
>>2421029
>>>2421026
Shit, they could get to 50 in the wild. You can also expect an empty tank for weeks at a time while everyone decides its time to molt

I'd say a betta is a good first pet for a kid. You can pick up a 5-10 gallon tank easy, it's possible, though not ideal, to cycle with them in the tank, a heater and a sponge filter aren't super expensive, and they're pretty hardy.
>>
>>2421026
They're hard as shit to take care of. I got sick of mine dying in shit setups within months back in highschool and researched the hell out of how to set up a proper enclosure. Got a 60 gallon tank, set up a quarter with briney water with a filter, had deep sand, calcium sources, prepared gourmet meals in frozen portions, all the shit hermit crab forums recommended, and they still decided to drop their legs and die. Granted, I got years rather than months out of them, but it's pathetic for animals that should live decades.

I would give it another shot if I had saltwater tank money or if there were captive bred hermit crabs available.
>>
File: 1490908599371.jpg (68KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1490908599371.jpg
68KB, 480x480px
>>2420828
I had one named speedy for a year or two. I liked him but he enjoyed zooming around his tank at like 2am making shuffling noises and sometimes it was hard to sleep

He was an alright little guy. I felt bad when he died because he definitely did not reach his full potential. I just had no idea how to really take care of hermit crabs
>>
>>2421029
>>2421059
>>2421098
You guys must be retarded because I had a bunch as a kid and ended up giving them to my local pet store after 10 or so years because they wouldn't die.
>>
I want some because I feel so bad when they're just sitting miserable in pet stores with tacky painted shells and you just know some chad/stacy is going to buy them and kill them, and I want to give them a good life, but I know they're pretty much all wild caught.
>>
File: P1080038 (2).jpg (994KB, 1571x1160px) Image search: [Google]
P1080038 (2).jpg
994KB, 1571x1160px
>>2420828
I got 30 or 40 of 'em running around my tank.
>>
>>2420828
can you give them unusual houses?
>>
I have had crabs yes
>>
>>2421286
Outside of newbies that were just too messed up, mine never died. I want them again but just don't have the tank space

I gave em up because I stopped giving a shit about as a teen and wasn't giving them proper care.
>>2421098
Sounds like humidity.
>>
>>2420828
I want one of these so badly, but I'm afraid that the vaccum cleaner or even my music might stress them out since they're apparently sensitive to loud sounds. I feel so bad for the ones I see on the board walk.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.