[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Redpill me on wolves. Is the Alpha/Beta/Omega hierarchy true?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: tumblr_omu86s4pjd1utapkmo1_500.jpg (65KB, 500x400px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_omu86s4pjd1utapkmo1_500.jpg
65KB, 500x400px
Redpill me on wolves. Is the Alpha/Beta/Omega hierarchy true?
>>
>>2420523
No. Wolf packs usually consists of a mated pair and their offspring. After a few years the offspring leave the pack and form their own
>>
>>2420612
Sometimes if they fail, they come back for a while and help their parents raise the another litter a little, before leaving again.
If a parent dies and another wolf replaces him/her, they keep taking care of pups that aren't theirs because they "know" the next litter will be theirs.
>>
>>2420523
When you take unrelated male wolves and throw them in a cage they'll form up the alpha/beta/omega pack. Basically it's how wolf prison gangs work.
>>
>>2420773
Yet the alpha/beta thing changes all the time and depend on what's happening. Some wolf might call dibs on a meal and be "alpha" then and later let another walk over him because he wasn't that interested in water. And then do the opposite the next day, nearly fight for water and let another get first bite on the meal.
>>
wtf
>>
Just over rated doggos.
>>
I feel really bad for the guy who publicized the theory. He realized the mistake very quickly, and has been working desperately since the 70's to discredit and pull the book from publication. But the image took such a hold on the populace, it's doubtful it'll ever go away.

Even more unfortunately it's leached into a lot of other things, and been warped into an excuse to bully and excessively punish because 'hurr durr alpha'. Animal training a whole is worse off because of it.
>>
Wow, I had no idea the alpha / beta etc stuff wasn't true. Is it true in other species?
I specifically remember watching Animal Planet as a kid and they talked about a cackle of hyenas having such structure.
>>
>>2421853

There are some species with tight social hierarchies, hyenas being one of them, but for the most part structures are a lot looser than people like to think they are. Leadership is often based more on who has the most friends, or who knows how to handle this particular situation the best (ex: who knows where water is around here), than on aggression. A big problem with aggression-based systems is that lower ranking members who feel bullied can and do leave and form their own rival groups. Some species make it work but overall it's not really a recipe for tight, cohesive groups that reduce competition.

Far more systems are matriarchal than patriarchal, as well, since females tend to group to help raise young and individual males rotate for protection and breeding until they're forced back into isolation or bachelor groups.
>>
>>2421868

Should add that the idea of the lead stallion is also bullshit. No stallion with half a brain tries to push a boss mare around, and those that are stupid enough to try quickly learn their place.
>>
>>2420523
no, obviously not. you could have just googles this
>>
Wasps, especially small queenless colonies, appear to have dominant roles/hierarchies based on aggression. They're a lot more all-purpose multi-role fighters than bees or large yellowjacket colonies, and you can observe them scuffling inside the nest with one of them clearly "in charge".
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.