[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Slugs and Snails

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 8

File: giant aquatic slug.jpg (241KB, 1688x950px) Image search: [Google]
giant aquatic slug.jpg
241KB, 1688x950px
Is this really the largest slug of all time?
I can't help but imagine ancient aquatic slugs would've gotten huge at some point, like those giant dragonflies in the carboniferous era.
>>
>>2417814
I agree, especially if they were aquatic. It's hard to preserve a soft-bodied mollusk like that. I wouldn't be surprised if there were slugs ten times that size
>>
File: plate-movements-ppt-9-728.jpg (114KB, 728x546px) Image search: [Google]
plate-movements-ppt-9-728.jpg
114KB, 728x546px
Imagine all the cool shit that lived and died on Earth that humanity will never even know existed at all.
>>
>>2417836
This unironically pisses me off

Imagine how many Cambrian fossils have sunk into magma
>>
>>2417826
Seriously. I mean just imagine the worms- a world virtually without predators (I mean really what was advanced enough to tunnel through three feet of silt after them?) and all the entire ocean floor to colonize. The worms must've had total free reign. To say nothing of the sponges.
>>
File: doll.jpg (281KB, 802x1080px) Image search: [Google]
doll.jpg
281KB, 802x1080px
>>2417814
Are you cold?
>>
File: 1487004797367.jpg (55KB, 500x473px) Image search: [Google]
1487004797367.jpg
55KB, 500x473px
>>2417814
Anyone else have a slug/snail phobia? I used to work in the pethouse in school and those disgusting things would always give me the creeps when they would get conjugated to the glass walls of their muddy aquariums as if trying to break out, with their creepy little fillers. God damn I fucking hate these things.
>>
>>2418006
they're just as gross as leeches
>>
>>2417826
They have a hard part, the radula, and it preserves very well. It's dentition actually very important for species identification.

If there were giant slugs we'd know about them.
>>
File: legendary.jpg (77KB, 580x776px) Image search: [Google]
legendary.jpg
77KB, 580x776px
>>2417814
The definition of "slug" is a bit confusing without looking at mollusk classification; it is probably the biggest sea hare yeah, but as for land slugs I think the award goes to Limax cinereoniger.

As for biggest snail, it probably goes to Syrinx aruanus, but I can imagine the giant horse conch (pic related) comes at a second place.
>>
>>2418007
Blasphemy
>>
>>2418014
lol niger and anus
>>
File: l_cinereoniger_taylor.jpg (290KB, 650x1078px) Image search: [Google]
l_cinereoniger_taylor.jpg
290KB, 650x1078px
>>2418014
>Limax cinereoniger
It comes in a bunch of pretty colors too. Where do I get one?
>>
>>2417836
We went from monkeys to moon walkers in less than a few million years. Are there gaps in the dinosaur fossil record large enough to hide the emergence and extinction of an advanced tool maker? Unfortunately anything dinosaurs might have left on the Moon will have been obliterated by micro and macro meteoroids.
>>
>>2418232
1000 years after humans disappear many signs of our existence will be gone. by 10,000 years their would be virtually nothing left except a few fossilized humans. A geologic blink of an eye.

To answer your question, it's possible. If it did happen I'd imagine they popped up near the end of the cretaceous and didn't get as good a chance to proliferate as we did. Other wise we would probably notice in fossil records.

It's probably not likely though, and I imagine their isn't really some gap\in the record that would be made complete with a dinosauroid. However maybe some yet-undiscovered troodontid or something managed to approach hominid levels of sapience.
>>
>>2418325
>10,000 years their would be virtually nothing left except a few fossilized humans

There'd be loads of traces of civilization below the surface. Plastic doesn't disintegrate very quickly, nuclear waste is gonna be around for ages, and cities will fall, but artifacts will still be found under the mounds that form over top fallen shit.

At the least, Hoover Dam and the pyramids aren't going anywhere for a fucking while.
>>
>>2418348
How's 275 million years?
That's the fuckload of time we're dealing with.
Shit's ridiculous.
At that point your best best is making some moon tomb to last that long but even then a single stray asteroid right up there- gone. Moon's covered in craters miles across.
>>
File: 800px-Limax_maximus_5.jpg (131KB, 800x882px) Image search: [Google]
800px-Limax_maximus_5.jpg
131KB, 800x882px
>>2418027
Europe, but its close relative Limax maximus is found on other continents as well
>>
>>2418232
>Are there gaps in the dinosaur fossil record large enough to hide the emergence and extinction of an advanced tool maker?

Certainly.

>>2418325
>>2418353
The best part is that we've left evidence on the moon. That shit will remain for a long long time. I wonder if there's anything else up there we've not found. Nearly all the craters on the moon are extremely old, from around when everything was formed. So, there's not much chance of anything happening of real note on the moon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_nuclear_fission_reactor

We should leave etched diamonds all over the earth with our technological/environmental care records on them. We could also etch messages into the lunar surface, specifically stuff pertaining to rocketry. Like have a how-to picture guide to making a telescope, you can see with the naked eye then have the rest written a bit smaller.

There's no reason whatever comes after us shouldn't reach high tech as fast as possible.
>>
>>2418027
These were everywhere when I was growing up

I would have like them if they were scaly or at least dry but the slime deal doesn't stop being gross
>>
File: kms pepe.png (477KB, 972x864px) Image search: [Google]
kms pepe.png
477KB, 972x864px
>>2417985
>ywn escape mortal toil and begin a higher existence as a carefree, all-powerful godling slug, lovingly mothered by a qt artificial woman who does not fart or do the poopoo
>>
>>2418006
>pethouse at school

What?
>>
>>2418474
also the satellites in geosynchronous orbit (or the graveyard orbit for that matter) will experience so little decay at the very least their debris will be around for millions of years

if a future civilization reaches the space age, that little garbage patch will be a clear sign that
A someone came before them
B they did not give a fuck about cleaning up their mess
>>
>>2417814
There could be slugs bigger than that in some far reaching corner of the ocean but that's probably just the biggest that's been discovered so far.
>>
>>2418027
are they all called NIGER ?
Are they banned in the US ?
>>
>>2419254
No, but Giant African Land Snails are ',:^)
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.