[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tadpole

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: index.jpg (142KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
142KB, 960x1280px
i've found this little guy in a pool near my home, i've been keeping it for 4 days and i'm feeding it with lettucce and salad.
I'm planning of buying a larger "acquarium" or a bowl and some sand tomorrow, i want to see the complete metamorphosis but i read that tadpoles are really delicates during transition? any tip for me?
>>
>>2416401
>salad

Try putting skeeter larvae in there for him, which can be found in disgusting people's rain barrels. That frog isn't meant to eat leaves at any point, you better go find tiny insects of any sort.
>>
>>2416424
Arent most tadpoles herbivorous until maturity?
>>
>>2416426
Oh, I don't know. I always figured they ate larvae and little bugs. You have to Google that, I don't really know, and it might vary by species. I guess if he's eating it, he must want it.
>>
>>2416436
Tapdoles are herbivorous until the back legs come in, at which point the mouth widens and they start eating small invertebrates (while also still consuming plant matter).

Tadpoles are hardy as fuck, this should be easy. Put it in a larger volume of water (to stabilize water chemistry), take out most of the leaves, you only want to add a tiny bit of leaf each day, and if you notice it has eaten all of it then up the amount.
Boiled organic spinach or lettuce will work as the main feedstock, with supplements of small boiled egg yolk chunks once a week. Keep an eye on water quality, and do water changes with dechlorinated water every few days, or it will die. The no chlorine thing is also really important, it fries the crap out of amphibians.

source; I raise amphibians as a hobby.
>>
>>2416437
the water from my acqueduct is not chlorinated luckily also as i said i'm going to buy a larger container and some proper food, what should i do with it when it will become a frog? any other tip? I know that when they develop front legs they don't need more food because they metabolize the tail
>>
>>2416475
I would release it near a pond where you found it. Raising baby frogs is a hassle mainly because of the food requirements. Fruit flies are the go-to but it is hard to actually get enough in the container where the frog will go after them. It is really easy to lose them to starvation.
>>
>>2416437
This guy is right. Shit, grade-schoolers raise tadpoles for science class successfully. You're a grown ass dude. You can handle it, OP.
>>
File: reptile eye.jpg (829KB, 2560x1600px) Image search: [Google]
reptile eye.jpg
829KB, 2560x1600px
>>2416401
They have specialized teeth for scraping algae off of rocks. He'll do that until the back legs form, then give him little mealworms or things like that.
>>2416437
Listen to this
good luck friend
>>
>>2417273
its never the big claws or teeth etc on apex predators that scare me
its their fucking eyes I can be totally fine close to a bear tiger croc hueg constrictor or shark but the instant one of those beast looks at me my spine turns to jellow and I lose any conviction i previously held
>>
File: rectangular-eye.jpg (85KB, 700x595px) Image search: [Google]
rectangular-eye.jpg
85KB, 700x595px
>>2416426
Tadpoles eat algae from ponds. You could easily buy some algae wafers for your buddy at the pet store, but I suggest following what >>2416437 said.

Tadpoles transition from gills to lungs when they morph. This may be the delicate stage you are thinking of. https://www.reddit.com/r/Awwducational/comments/6ht9iy/when_tadpoles_metamorphose_into_frogs_they_cease/

>>2417346
Goat eyes are hella scary too.
>>
>>2416401
I took a tadpole to school as a class pet once. It went really well until we left for a three day weekend. I think he developed lungs and drowned because he was a pretty advanced pollywog by that point.

Once a week I replaced his aquarium water with a two liter fresh dirty pond water from where I caught him, full of tiny floating shit for him to eat. It seemed to work well enough.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.