[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Surgery on a 2+ year old hamster

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: Funny-Mouse-chilling-on-swing.jpg (95KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Funny-Mouse-chilling-on-swing.jpg
95KB, 1600x1200px
Any experienced vets here?

I need advice on my hamster, she is about 2,4~ years old and she's grew a tumor sadly. I've brought her to the vet and they told me they could put her under surgery and remove the tumor. But that it would come at great risk since 2+years is quite old for an hamster. I've talked about it with my mom, she'd rather let her live her last few months/weeks/days in peace instead of letting her die during surgery. I've had calls back and forth with the vet numerous times, she told me that the one doing the operation is experienced but that she won't be able to do anything if the doesn't wake up after or if he loses too much blood. My little hamster is quite the fighter, still hopping around and climbing everything even with a tumor in her small chest thats growing up to her throat and leg. Its also getting bigger day by day, the tumor that is. I've been standing at this fork in the road for a long time now. Do I let her die by surgery or have her live the rest of her days with a growing tumor and on meds. Either way I'll have to make up my mind by thursday.
Looking for serious advice on what to do here.
>>
First off, people can lie about whether or not they are a vet lmao, so why would you take anonymous advice from anyone.

Second; vets cannot give advice over the phone or internet - https://www.avma.org/public/PetCare/Pages/VCPR-FAQs.aspx
>A VCPR is established only when your veterinarian examines your animal in person, and is maintained by regular veterinary visits as needed to monitor your animal’s health.

--

Everything from this point is my own opinion desu, so feel free to ignore it if you want. I personally would go through with the surgery because the positives outweigh the negatives in my opinion. There's a high risk to the surgery, but if it works out you have a tumor-free hamster who has a lot more time that she likely would have with the tumor, not to mention a better quality of life.
>>
While I'm in no position to tell how much your hamster is worth to you, I can tell you that the cost of the surgery could be 4-5 times the cost of another hamster. It's something to keep in mind.
>>
>>2415812
>4-5 times as much

Unless hamsters are now 100$, its much more than that. My vet is extremely cheap and charges $400 for tumor removals on rats. A hamster is smaller and some vet's won't bother. It all depends on how much op loves the ham, which is at the average death age for hamsters anyways. As most vet's charge 600 or more for tumor removal.
>>
In my opinion and someone who has shelled out or surgery on rodents - I wouldn't and would have your hamster put down when her quality of life is no longer worth it(but not let 'nature take it's course' and let her suffer in misery until she dies).

I'm much more iffy and wary about putting an animal smaller than a rat under the knife. Keep in mind, even humans are at a risk of never waking up and it does happen. Being huge or smaller makes it an even bigger risk.

It's possible they won't be able to remove the entire tumor and it's very likely the tumor will come back, possibly else where very quickly. $500ish later when I had a male rat put under for one, the tumor was either in his ribcage or too attached to his ribcage that they vet called me mid surgery and said that while she could continue, he would probably die so I called it off and just kept him happy until the tumor weakened him too much to where I did not think his suffering outweighed his life.

Do you know if it's a mammary tumors or not? If a female rat gets one or two removed AND gets spayed during it, then that sways me more since it's very unlikely mammary tumors will come back after being spayed. I have done it with female rats that were of known lines to live over 3+.
If your hamster is from unknown lines/genetics, I'd suggest letting her go. If it can be solved by the removal AND spaying(if it's a mammary tumors) then I wouldn't fault you for trying.

Overall I suggest you let her live until you get her euthanized. Don't let her die because of a tumor. It zaps them of energy, limits movement, puts pressure on their muscles, bones and organs and starves them to death. I've seen it with rats and it's not pretty, and it would be cruel to them die like that. Tumors can also get infected which is even less pretty.

Keep in mind that also after surgery care can be painful and a bitch, especially if they aren't given pain meds. You can't let your feelings decide these.
>>
>>2415963
>ending misery via death

That's the worst possible thing you can do for a living being.
>>
It's a fucking hamster. How is this even a question? They are not meant to live forever. Just make sure it is comfortable and free of pain until it passes and move the fuck on
>>
>>2415985
Sure and when your mother dies it'll be just another human.
No matter how small or big, all life is precious
>>
>>2415981
Wut
Not ending -permanent- misery via death is selfish as fuck, mate.
>>
>>2416371
Not that anon but I'm well aware everything dies. I'd never keep a loved person in a coma or suffering in pain just because my shitty family can't accept death.
>>
>>2416378
Don't play the role of god mate. You don't decide when something dies or not. God takes and gives life and everything has a reason. Don't worry nothing is forever so the pain and suffering will eventually end and after a while you'll see eachother again. But don't intentionally kill your family.
>>
>>2416406
You've obviously never been in so much pain that death seems like a salvation. As someone who has a genetic disorder that causes EXTREME pain and has the possibility of killing me each flare up, there have been many times where I have wished for that to be the time it kills me despite living a good, happy life otherwise. If for some reason that pain was going to by my forever, I'd hope my husband is able to peacefully euthanize me since I'm in too much pain to speak, move, or even keep consciousness at times when it happens
>>
>>2418040
First of all.
>You've obviously never been in so much pain that death seems like a salvation.
Thats a weird thing to assume. Why would you think you're the only one going through pain right now? Imagine being born and not fitting the mold that was made for you. Being beaten so much that you end up looking like a deformed shell of what used to be once or somewhat resemble a human person. I'm not talking a few cuts and broken bear bottles here. Try to guess how it feels to have the last person on earth you thought you could trust have you rip your eye out of its socket. Imagine being tied up and having one of your legs and hand sawed off by someone you once called ''Father''. Having your skin burned off and being toyed around with for the sake of amusement. But then still having to endure that every single day. Not knowing when it would end or get worse. Hoping that one day you could try to get over this only to realize that day would never come. Everyday I live in doubt wondering if I'll make it to the next.
Its become such a common thing to ''Want to die'' in this society but those who came close know that once the bell rings there's no going back. Most if not all start pleading for their life when they catch a glimps of the bell-boy. If you truly wanted to die you would not be here to write about it. Don't say silly things like ''I want to die'' and then proceeding to live on.
>>
>>2418297
Not him but, first of all post empty eye socket with time stamp or didn't happen. Secondly it seems like you don't understand what terminal illness is. There's a point of no hope of recovery where only pain and slow death are the future. Many terminally ill people get DNR orders and if it was legal many would choose euthanasia. Bleeding to death in under anaesthesia is better than getting strangled to death by a cancerous mass for weeks.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.