[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dog training r

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: woofer.jpg (6KB, 150x150px) Image search: [Google]
woofer.jpg
6KB, 150x150px
I posted this on /adv/ wondering why nobody answered lol

Does anyone have experience with aggressive dogs?

I'm taking care of a friend dog while he moves out of country.

For some fucking reason the dog wants to attack every single dog he sees no matter if it's a stillborn or a female puppy.

I've had him for 2 weeks already and I'm losing patience, dog age is around 2 years. I think it's a mutt but I could be wrong(breed matters right?).
>>
>>2415480
Dump the dog in a shelter, say he's aggressive.
Kill your friend.
>>
>>2415482
Wouldn't they put the dog down though?

Only case where doggo hasn't been aggressive is when I took him to the veterinary, there were other dogs there but he didn't even react as usual.

There's also the previous neighbor dog which he seems to be fine around.
>>
>>2415487
No, they'd put it up for adoption with a "hates other dogs" note, or try to train it out of him.
>>
>>2415480
Dog aggression/reactivity isn't uncommon. I have some experience with it myself. What exactly are you asking for here?

If you're just taking care of the dog for a friend temporarily, just try to keep him away from other dogs. You'd want to keep him under threshold (far enough away from other dogs that he's not freaking out or reacting) anyways. Forcing him into situations where he goes over threshold will only make it worse.

If you had a mind to train him out of it, you'd want to start counter-conditioning exercises with him, keeping him under threshold and reinforcing calm behavior, slowly decreasing distance from other dogs as he learns that seeing other dogs isn't a bad thing. He may never LIKE other dogs and that's OK, but he can be trained to be calm and ignore them when he sees them.
>>
>>2415498
I'll still have it around for a month or so, I really wanna exhaust all my options before giving up on him.

In the past few days he hasn't paid as much attention as before to other dogs so I think he has progressed a bit but the issue still persists.

I haven't considered complete avoidance because sometimes other dogs try to approach him.
>>
>>2415506
>sometimes other dogs try to approach him
While he is in your care, you need to be proactive and try to prevent other dogs from approaching him. Stay away from areas with unleashed dogs, and ask other dog owners/walkers to give you and your dog space. Of course, you can't always control how other people/dogs will interact with yours, so shit sometimes happens. But just try to be as proactive as possible so he doesn't run into situations he feels uncomfortable enough in that he has to lash out and react.

And again, it's not just avoiding triggering his reactivity, it's creating positive associations while he's under threshold. Him being over threshold hurts your progress so you want to avoid that as much as you can.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.