[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thoughts on falconry?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

File: falcon1.jpg (221KB, 595x397px) Image search: [Google]
falcon1.jpg
221KB, 595x397px
Thoughts on falconry?
>>
Expensive and impractical. Otherwise really fucking cool.
>>
How much is a baby falcon? And yes I will chew worms up for him/her
>>
My kinoplex experience just isn't complete without it
>>
>>2415062
Hey what animal is perching on the girl's warm?
>>
>>2415062
>be falconry
>redtail hates everything
>especially other redtails and it's own reflection
>also people
>deals with me and is "nice" since she's too lazy to do otherwise and don't care enough
>also I never give her a reason to care about me maybe hurting her
It's like a cat that sits there and does fucking nothing until a rat / meat-based life form shows up. Then they stab shit, then they go back to picking their ass and generally disliking everything.
>>
Eagle
>>
>>2415078
Depends on what you want and probably which cuntry you are in. In US last I heard peregrine's are going for like 2.5k since the Saudis are slurping up all the supply of late. Aplos are like 4-5k I think. Redtails are however much gas money costs to find it, otherwise free.
>>
I tried to into falconry, but the only people around me who are in a possition to take apprentices dont seem to care about doing that. Seems they are more interested in keeping a sooper sekret club than spreading the love of the hobby. Feels bad man.

I almost picked up and moved to Texas just because I heard its more lively a scene there, but I've pretty much become jaded and given up on the dream.
>>
>>2415112
You in Vermont or some shit?

t. Texasfag
>>
>>2415112
I knew a guy in college who falconned(?) on a school team. They hunted cat toys or some shit like that and competed with other unis.

He told me there are some weird laws regarding their raptors. One law makes it illegal to possess a bird of prey so captive breeding was not permitted. Taking a chick from a wild nest was permitted because there's a state determined taking number, like harvesting black bears. Once a chick is taken it is 'killed' because its deemed non-returnable to the wild, like a bird hit by a car or shot, and can be kept if you are a licensed falconer.

Being on the team did not get him the apprenticeship credits he needed to sit for the license exam! He said the coaches were a bunch of stuck up snobby women who were just there so they could write off their falconry for tax purposes. They kind of ignored the students and talked about shopping and social events at country clubs with each other. But he had fun killing teddy bears with a hawk.
>>
>>2415090
thats hir mons pubis
>>
File: cc_baby.jpg (70KB, 1060x1200px) Image search: [Google]
cc_baby.jpg
70KB, 1060x1200px
>>2415062
I think it's cool. It's a bit archaic sport, but so is hunting in general.

I'm writing a novel about it... well, replace the falcons with dragons.
>>
File: 1491900457385.jpg (278KB, 967x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1491900457385.jpg
278KB, 967x1280px
>>2415225
... I have never heard of anything like this. What country was that supposed to be in? The only "college school team" in the US that I know of is the USAF mascot, the only competitions are "sky trials" where pigeons get thrown not cat toys, and captive breeding is a billion percent a thing.
>>
>>2415104
eagle
>>
My next door neighbour as a kid used to climb trees and telephone poles and get baby peregrine falcons and eagles and train them
Was pretty epic
He still does it to this day and is hired for his birds
>>
>>2415622
What a cool lad.
>>
I'd like to do it. Having a sky cat poach rats sounds like the manliest shit
>>
i have a friend who grew up in egypt and bought one as a child at what he describes as a flew market thing. he said it got too expensive to feed for him back then.
>>
Expensive and riddled with permits and regulations, but very, very cool.
>>
>>2415078
In my part of burgerland, licensed entry level falconers must trap young birds (RedTails, Kestrels) from the wild. Advanced licensees may purchase Perrigrines, Harris, Goshawks etc. No idea on price, tho.
>>
>>2415685
>Expensive
Less than $10k expensive.

Mews cost me about $1200 with the tools I had to buy. I had to rent a place with a back yard for it: +$200/month. I bought a decentish truck for $6500, but that is far from required unless you are waaay out in the sticks. Miscellaneous gear and shit for a few hundred, depending on how much you make yourself.

So if you don't buy a truck and already have a back yard you're talking like $2000ish. Food is under $50/month. The bird is free if it's a red-tail (US only). Then gas money.

So like you can't be like dirt poor, but it not like ridiculous or anything.
>>
>>2415112
>Seems they are more interested in keeping a sooper sekret club than spreading the love of the hobby

This. Englishfag here. Super hard to find someone taking on apprentices nearby. I guess they're sensibly skeptical of all enquiries but by not helping others it doesn't further or continue the rapidly dying sport they are all so "concerned" with.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.