[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/aq/-AQUARIUM GENERAL

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 334
Thread images: 48

File: LOceanografic.jpg (3MB, 4032x2687px) Image search: [Google]
LOceanografic.jpg
3MB, 4032x2687px
Chill Edition
Old Thread: >>2409034

Discuss anything aquarium related here, including inhabitants, decor and issues.

Google is your friend.
Feel free to ask questions but know that there are a lot of resources out there that could answer your question a lot faster and accurately than /an/.

Make sure to include these things in your post before asking because we can't help you if we don't have the full picture:
-tank size (include dimensions, not just volume)
-parameters (ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, pH, GH, KH)
-any and all inhabitants + how long you've had them

Links:
Tank Cycling:
https://www.petcha.com/freshwater-aquarium-cycling/
https://www.petcha.com/fishless-aquarium-cycling-method/
Care Guides:
>http://seriouslyfish.com/
Plants and Animals for sale:
>http://www.petsolutions.com/
>http://www.aquabid.com/
>http://www.liveaquaria.com/
Database for aquatic plants and their parameters
>http://www.flowgrow.de/db/aquaticplants
>>
File: CAM00070.jpg (326KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
CAM00070.jpg
326KB, 1536x2048px
So this little shit decided he was just gonna move his way on into my tank.

I went to pour some water in and he was just clinging to the side of the filter.
>>
File: CAM00071.jpg (394KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
CAM00071.jpg
394KB, 2048x1536px
>>2412963
But, since it was 98F on my porch yesterday, I can't really blame him.

I guess I'll let him chill till summer is over.

Oh, also, I added three neon tetras in there.

I know, I know-schooling fish, they need six or more, but it's only a five gallon, and so far they haven't really stuck together. I mean, they did the first day, but now they just flit about and play in the moss sometimes.
>>
File: IMAG0257.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0257.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>2412967
>>
File: 1494508805547.jpg (71KB, 625x625px) Image search: [Google]
1494508805547.jpg
71KB, 625x625px
>>2412967
>>2412974
i dont blame from for trying to escape that shit tank
>>
>>2412963
Pacific tree frog. Possibly a male. Nice!
>>
>>2412967
That's normal for neon tetras to do that.
>>
>>2413009
They are all over around here.
>>2413013
Ah, ok.
>>
>>2412974
I like the croc skull.
I have a real one on my shelf.
>>
>>2412967
>I guess I'll let him chill till summer is over.

you're going to wake up tomorrow to a fat frog and no fish. Any way it goes, it doesnt strike me as a smart idea to let a potentially disease-ridden wild animal chill with sterile pets
>>
>>2413051
He was already swimming around in the water, so meh.

And unless he can swallow a whole betta, I'm not too concerned.
>>2413038
My fiance has a little one too. Got it from some family over in Alabama I think.

We both have mixed feelings about it-having grown up watching Crocodile Hunter, but it was a gift, so..
>>
I have never really had fish before (other than when I was kid and killed them all because I was irresponsible and retarded) and I've been interested in getting a Betta for awhile now. What are some things I should know before getting one? Like any essential tips?
>>
>>2412956
How difficult are seagrasses and macroalgae? I always wanted to try something like this. Long seagrasses probably aren't legal in my state, but still.
>>
>>2413067
Don't over feed. Their stomachs are about the size of their eye.

They can tolerate around 75 F, but they like it warmer. Putting it below 78 is going to start taxing on their immune system.

LOTS of other fishes will shred or eat their fins. Lot of fake plastic plants will too. Infact, there really aren't many fish that is a for sure fire bet to get along with them, or they will get along with.

Aren't strong swimmers, so either slow the flow on the filter, or get a couple of filters with very low flow. Tetra whisper 3i is pretty good for like a five gallon, or you can just youtube how to use a plastic water bottle to slow filter flow.

They get bored. Switch their environment up a bit once in a while.

They eat a very high protein diet, and pieces of COOKED and cooled peas once a week can help with constipation issues.
>>
>>2413079
seagrasses are considerably easier than most macros.

a lot of macro algae doesn't tolerate nitrates at all, and most of the need calcium dosing and a high pH. Similar requirements to corals. There's a couple macros that will tolerate relatively high nitrates though, and those are about as easy as grass to grow. Chaeto and caulerpa are two examples.
>>
>>2413083
Thanks. Chaeto and caulerpa were definitely two options.
From what I understand there is a die off when the algae goes sexual and it can hurt systems. There was also something about PH swings. I don't think I had the right mindset when reading the articles. It went way over my head. Are these usually problems?
>>
>>2413091
If something's dying you pull it out of the tank and toss it.

Macros can cause pH swings by removing buffering and oxidizing chemicals from the water. This is true of corals and coralline and inverts and fish too. It's not really a problem if you dose trace elements and do regular water changes. Also of course skimming to strip CO2 from the water.
>>
>>2413093
Thanks for clearing up my questions.
>>
File: SANY0003_01.jpg (3MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
SANY0003_01.jpg
3MB, 4000x3000px
>>2413095
You're welcome. I've always liked farming macros. Weird thing is now with the popularity of fragging, they're usually more expensive and harder to collect than corals.
>>
>>2413099
That's some nice chaeto. I'll probably be able to collect from the beach and avoid prices though. What are the brown ones?
>>
File: SANY0027.jpg (526KB, 1597x1711px) Image search: [Google]
SANY0027.jpg
526KB, 1597x1711px
>>2413105
Wild c.f. Polyneura I got on some rock from Fiji.
>>
>>2413054
Don't listen to that guy I kept two Pacific tree frogs in the same habitat with about 10 minnows no problems.
>>
I got a Betta fish for my sister a few weeks ago and we've been following the Petco guy's advice on feeding and changing his water, three/five times a week and once a week, respectively.
Yesterday, I noticed a tiny pinhole in his dorsal fin. I tried to take a pic to ask you guys but my camera wouldn't focus and he kept moving too much.
I wanna know why this is caused and what can be done to fix and prevent this in the future. I would hate for my sister to lose her first animal companion.
>>
>>2413196
Bettas fins are very delicate, make sure there's nothing sharp in the tank, like plastic plants. If you have plastic plants, try to get silk ones.

Is there any other fish in the tank? And you should google a caresheet too.

Never hurts to have a little extra knowledge and second opinion.
>>
>>2413224
>Bettas fins are very delicate, make sure there's nothing sharp in the tank, like plastic plants. If you have plastic plants, try to get silk ones.
Alright, noted. I do have a soft plastic plant, he doesn't really go near it all too much. There's a little decorative plastic building that has some rough edges and he likes to rest inside it, should I get rid of that too?
>Is there any other fish in the tank? And you should google a caresheet too.
No, no other fish in the tank. Does the quality of water matter? We're using tap water, unfiltered, for what it's worth.
>>
File: IMG_0258.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0258.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
My parents nicknamed my gold gourami Trump.

I kinda see the resemblance.
>>
>>2413255
>We have the best fish tanks, the very best tanks
>>
>>2413255
My kids bought a three spot gourami, and he's an ass so we had to separate him. They dubbed him Gouramald Trump.
>>
>>2413251
Are you at least conditioning your tap water?
>>
>>2413341
Yes.
>>
How can I make my siphon succ better? It's not enough suction to pull up the larger pieces of gourami shit.
>>
>>2413348
Attach it to a prostitute.
>>
>>2413348
How wide is your hose?
>>
>>2413348
you gotta suck on it harder faggot

but seriously, the bigger the height difference between inlet and outlet, the higher the pressure.
>>
Anyone tried cumming inside their tanks? Does fish benefit from that?
>>
File: b80a5608f8b0c48a31691ba989c2c7b8.png (994KB, 1000x1016px) Image search: [Google]
b80a5608f8b0c48a31691ba989c2c7b8.png
994KB, 1000x1016px
>be southernhemispherefag
>winter, below 10C in the house, no central heating
>have to leave town for 2 days
>tell housesitter not to touch my tropical fishtank
>just came home to find tank freezing cold, dark and unfiltered
>she switched off the power to my bedroom to "preserve electricity"

I'm so scared my fish and shrimp are going to die. They're acting really sluggish and aren't interested in food. Is there anything I can do to make them more comfortable while the tank heats up? Comfort me /aq/.
>>
File: wat.gif (154KB, 500x381px) Image search: [Google]
wat.gif
154KB, 500x381px
>>2413357
>>
>>2413358
Oh for the love of fish keeping.

Fucking normieeeees

I feel for you anon. Just cross your fingers and keep an eye on them.
>>
>>2413358
you didn't turn on filter right away did you?
bacteria colony was probably dead, you need to clean your filter or your tank is FUCKED by all that shit that left after them
>>
>>2413364
Fuck, I did. What do I do?
>>
>>2413365
Honestly, don't sweat that shit. Vacuum, 25% water change, and clean your filter media.

Then hope for the best.
>>
>>2413366
Thanks anon! Will do now.
>>
File: white cloud.jpg (72KB, 797x501px) Image search: [Google]
white cloud.jpg
72KB, 797x501px
What is the stupidest thing you have done to your tank?

>thought my minnows had fin rot because of white tips on fins
>added half of a capsule of Amoxicillin (250mg total) to tank
>>
>>2413372
jej

My mother has a 100gal goldfish tank and she washes all the filter media with every water change, i.e. once a week. Charcoal, sponge, she takes everything out and washes it under the tap. I've given up on trying to reason with her, she's becoming senile and doesn't understand.

Somehow not all of them are dead yet.
>>
>>2413401
I rinsed lightly under tap for years and years before I started using tank water.
Only ever lost fish to unrelated issues.
>>
File: AquStockImage.png (34KB, 550x210px) Image search: [Google]
AquStockImage.png
34KB, 550x210px
Are there ANY cool looking or bigger non-aggressive fish I can add to my tank? I'm having a hard time stocking my tank.
>>
I wanna redo my Bettas tank to look like a dragons cave since he looks like a dragon when he flares up

Any ideas what to do besides black gravel and a background?
>>
File: IMG_20170621_170208.jpg (3MB, 4640x3480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170621_170208.jpg
3MB, 4640x3480px
>>2413462
>>
>>2413462
>a background

Pls no more tacky tank backgrounds. Get a fantasy art poster or something and make it work. That standard reef background probably disturbs the shit out of fish because they can see it but can't go there. I can't stand the way it looks though.
>>
>>2413479
I actually meant just like painting the back of the tank black or gray or something, I agree those backgrounds suck
>>
File: maybe.png (828KB, 706x628px) Image search: [Google]
maybe.png
828KB, 706x628px
>>2413462
You could get some quartz crystal clusters and put those in the tank. Usually they are cheapish if you have a good local rock shop. Or even some of those fake glass jewels. Not sure if they would be too sharp for his fins though.
>>
>>2413486
Yeah do the actual paintjob yourself, it'll be reversed but you can do it. Abstract sounds good. Don't get it on the tank seal, use painter's tape, not sure but bad stuff could happen.
>>
Welp, remember a while back when I was joking about Sinbad eating the shrimps little pellets, and it was pissing me off? Well...he's been having constipation issues since then, and I've been trying to fast him and only been feeding a small piece of pea every 4 days.

Well I think he kicked the bucket...he's down underneath a rock and hasn't come out in 24 hours, and I haven't been able to get him to move at all.

Sigh
>>
>>2413518
careful, my lil bro tried to flush his betta and he came back to life as he was going down the drain.
>>
File: r2 fish school.webm (2MB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
r2 fish school.webm
2MB, 720x540px
Has anyone actually tried this?
>>
We have a informal discord for /aqherp/ people.
https://discord.gg/CZYXnsJ

>>2413518
That sucks, dude.
>>
>>2413521
Oh shit...don't give me false hope anon ;_;

But I will leave it be for a few more days, if somehow he comes back to life. The shrimp are still in there I think, and all those plants. I'm not in a hurry to tear the tank down. Just kinda sad.
>>
>>2413525
you can easily tell if he is still breathing by observing his gills.
if they aren't moving, give him a proper sailor's burial.
>>
>>2413526
I can't see because he's inside his cave. I can only see his tail.

I'll just leave it be. There's not much I can di besides what I've been doing.
>>
>>2413530
well, if the shrimp start feasting on him, then he has definitely passed. hopefully he pulls through this.
>>
>>2413522
This is so dumb that I want to do it
>>
>>2413542
I saw some other people doing it on YT and I guess they use some kind of food dispensing stick to train the fish.
>>
File: algae.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
algae.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>2412966
Yeah it's an aquaclear. Came home today to find some greenish matter on my nice white sand, am I over-fertilizing or do I have too much light for the amount of plants I have right now? what's the best solution? Nitrites appear to be down to 0.25ppm or so today, cycle almost complete!
>>
>>2413653
At this point it can be either, or both. Are you running CO2?
>>
>>2413675
I am dosing CO2, and probably way overdoing it being greedy to start plant growth on newly planted stuff. I will lay off for a bit and see?
>>
>>2413653
>>2413675
Also I should add, ditch the carbon. Then you'll have shit tons of room. Unless you have driftwood in there and want to soak up the tannins or something.

Generally regular water changes and water conditioner are better/faster than carbon, and cheaper. However if you are really intent on using carbon, generally you can just use it to make your water clear, then take it out the rest of the time until it's not as clear as you'd like again.
>>
>>2413676
It's really hard to say. In general I would lean towards CO2 not being the culprit. It's rare that it's the CO2.
>>
>>2413677
I should do more research on what does what exactly, I wasn't sure what the carbon media actually did for the aquarium.
>>
>>2413680
carbon specifically removes heavy metals (almost never a problem), organic acids (tannin being the most common), and a lot of organic chemicals (most medicines for example). It also removes chlorine which shouldn't be a problem if you treat your water.

as the other anon says, none of these are common situations in the newb's tank, so carbon is not as effective as water changes.
>>
>>2413686
Which metals specifically are heavy? I am worried about copper from the plumbing for when I introduce amano shrimp. My water company uses chloramines instead of chlorine, unless you meant both, but I have Prime, seachem's PH Neutral (which also conditions???), and a small bottle of leftover API Tapwater conditioner so that's literally a nonissue. I haven't done a single water change yet, honestly.

Probably overdoing the lighting (I was only running the cheap aqueon light with the stock bulb, added my T5 archaea light) and liquid fertilizer too, unsure on what if anything the rocks I added yesterday are adding to the water. No driftwood, just sand, substrate, plants, slate, and two mystery (tested with vinegar and boiled for like 20+ minutes) redish rocks that I think are of the same kind as each other. They might actually be red brick chunks that have been weathered down. I got them from the streambed.
>>
>>2413653
>>2413676
Neither CO2 nor liquid carbon supplements should cause algae blooms. They usually function as algaecides.
In general it's really difficult to keep white sand looking perfect. Maybe get some trumpet snails so they can dig through it and keep it sifted.

>>2413686
>organic chemicals
It never occured to me to consider it before, but would activated carbon absorb glutaraldehyde and render liquid carbon supplements ineffective?
>>
>>2413694
Prime detoxes heavy metals already, including copper, nickel, and lead.
>>
>>2413694
>Which metals specifically are heavy?
lead, cadmium, arsenic, mercury. Probably others I can't think of atm.

carbon does remove copper. Plumbing doesn't really leach much copper though. Carbon isn't effective at removing chloramine.
>>
What's /aq/'s opinion on Tanked?
Earlier today I saw an episode of them making a vertical 5 gallon shaped like a baby bottle and put a shitton of goldfish in it, no filter. Why?
>>
>>2413703
you don't need a filter if you change water regularly.
>>
>>2413696
>>2413686
>>2413677

Ditched the carbon, although somehow removing it dumped a TON of junk into my water. I think it's all particulates that were stuck in the filter media and were released when I pulled the whole carriage up, yanked out the carbon bag, and put the carriage back down. Keeping the carbon sealed in a plastic bag will be fine? should I rinse it in tapwater or anything?
>>
>>2413714
Watching the new cloud of junk floating around the tank, that algae patch on the sand appears to be RIGHT in the dead spot of flow. Maybe it's not algae, but just a lot of tiny particles of dead plant matter and such? I could install my topfin powerhead 30 to increase circulation and hopefully remove the deadspot or at least make the new deadspot NOT on my pretty white sand.
>>
>>2413255

All it needs is the toupee.
>>
>>2413372
Top kek I did the same.
>betta stays at the bottom of the tank
>fins clamped
>add amoxicillin
>next day see a giant turd betta looks better
>he just had constipation
I'm not sure it killed the bacteria in the filter. Was checking nitrites and ammonia and everything was is ok.
>>
>>2413709
5 Gallons for a "shitton of goldfish" is still retarded
>>
File: image.jpg (17KB, 480x336px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
17KB, 480x336px
>>2413418
>housing mountain minnows and neon tetras together
>housing angelfish and small fish like endlers together
>housing shrimp with angelfish
Be prepared for a bloodbath mate
>>
>>2413883
I've never watched it but an online search indicates about 8 goldfish. Which is perhaps a bit much for 5g but there's no particular reason to think they kept that many in there after the cameras turned off.

even if they did, this was a tank for a celebrity's kid, they can easily afford to replace the goldfish that expire. And that's mostly the sort of clientele those guys sell to. These are wealthy people that would rather buy new fish every month than spend five minutes caring about fishkeeping. Which is inherently offensive to poor fishkeepers, but aint shit you can do about it.
>>
>>2413888
>checked
I already am but I want more.
>>
>>2413703
T A N K E D .COM
>>
>>2413403
She doesn't just rinse lightly, she washes the shit out of them. She'll dunk every piece of filter media in near boiling water and scrub it with a sponge.
>>
Don't know if this thread is the best place to ask but does anyone know how to identify a fish I found washed up in a creek? It's shaped like a perch or other normal, fat-ish fish but is 2-3 feet at least. The creek is connected to a bay so it might be something that swam up here but died.
>>
>>2413987
Can't identify shit without a photo.
>>
>>2414016
this
>>
>>2413954
http://www.fishbase.org/identification/ClassList.php
>>
Has anyone ever went to their local creek or stream and caught some fish? I was looking up what type of fish inhabited a nearby stream and there are various types of minnows, suckers, and mosquito fish. How would their temperaments compare to their captive-bred counterparts?
>>
>>2414022
A friend of mine has. They tend to be a bit more aggressive/temperamental than captive-bred fish and will likely kill or harass some captive-bred species. Some are very hardy, some die extremely easily. You can never tell for sure. Getting them to eat fish food is also sometimes difficult.
>>
>>2414030
I'll probably have to call the local department of fish and wildlife to see what the law is regarding catching these types of fish. I only have my shellfishing license right now and I don't want to end up with a big fine. I'd probably have to use a net or something.
>>
>>2414043
You should, better be safe than sorry. In my country you just need a fishing license, but if you want to catch shrimp and other inverts you need a bait collector license too.
>>
File: EVERY FUCKING DAY.jpg (118KB, 595x1121px) Image search: [Google]
EVERY FUCKING DAY.jpg
118KB, 595x1121px
WOW NOW THE OTHER PLECO IS GOING IN THE TUBE
>>
>>2413954
Oh jesus. lol
Yeah, that's a problem.
>>
>>2413703
Gimmicky bullshit.

The only thing novelty tanks are good for is killing fish.

Also, their fake corals look atrocious.
>>
>>2413418
wot
>single individuals of tiny schooling/shoaling fish
>random angel out of nowhere
>>
>>2414056
They like to rest in current, can you blame em?
>>
Been out of the game for a while, havent had an aquarium since like 2007/8, used to have a 100l main and a ~30l for quarentene/breeding.
Been thinking of activating one of them, what do people do nowadays in terms of filtering, I used to have one of those biological filters and it worked fine but it required some monitoring of the ammonia/nitrites levels, i've also had it in tandem with some additional water filtering.
Thinking of activating the smaller one and putting some small schooling fish like some kind of tetra or something.
>>
>>2414102
Get a Nano Tankâ„¢
>>
>>2414101
No, not really then. I wish I had something else for them to hide in though.
>>
File: AquStockImage.png (43KB, 550x328px) Image search: [Google]
AquStockImage.png
43KB, 550x328px
>>2414096
I didn't know that guppies were schooling fish... I guess I'll have to pick up a few more tomorrow! Also, I messed up and actually have 2 angels and I forgot to add the 2 loaches.
>>
File: apollo.jpg (345KB, 1920x1440px) Image search: [Google]
apollo.jpg
345KB, 1920x1440px
Look at this lazy fucker.
>>
>>2414126
Might want to actually get something predatory to feed on all the fry of them livebearers you're putting in there friend.
>>
>>2414129
Cause of death: Not giving a fuck.
>>
>>2414133
I will probably have baby ghost shrimp soon. I saw one that had eggs but now she doesn't. I have two female minnows that look ready to pop. Only one of the Endler's is a female and she isn't swollen yet, but after she starts I might separate her into a breeder box or something so I can have even more fish. I don't even know what I'm doing.
>>
>>2414109
Should I install gentoo as well?
>>
Most dwarf shrimp are okay in room temp/cold water, right?

I have a 5 gallon unheated tank with nothing in it but snails, used to have a crayfish. Want to put something else in it.
>>
>>2414141
Good luck if you're using anything more powerful than a sponge filter, they're probably in your HOB right now.
>>
I just bought a 40 gallon of craigslist that some mexican attempted to make "rimless" (they chipped away at the black rim, and now one side of the top rim is missing. How dangerous is this? I have it on the floor in my garage, it holds water but looks shifty as fuck.
>>
>>2414203
The LFS in my hometown sold their amano shrimp out of their giant DIY filter tubs. Just opened up the filter and started netting them out.
>>
>>2414208
I was thinking of doing a diy sump with one section being used for ghost shrimp breeding, that I could then use to feed my tinfoil barbs.
>>
>>2414203
I have two sponge filters and a HOB. Maybe tomorrow I will put a coarse sponge over the intake. I had a white Fluval sponge on there before but it turned brown and I wasn't sure if it was supposed to do that or not so I tossed it.
>>
>>2414203
Not that guy but I'm keeping amano shrimp in a nano tank with only a sponge filter. Will the babies get sucked in?
>>
>>2414201
Yes
>>
>>2414236
No
>>2412956
I can't net my fucking neon tetra REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
AQ pls help
>>
>>2414251
>put net behind fish
>boop fish with other hand
>????
>>
>>2414260
i cant get the net close enough to do ifsh to net boops
>>
>>2413051
these guys dont get big at all, and dont eat fish so thats not a problem
and that one doestn look riddled with disease
>>
>>2414262
You just gotta outsmart the fish anon. I believe in you.
>>
File: 13686407.png (26KB, 500x254px) Image search: [Google]
13686407.png
26KB, 500x254px
>>2414264
>and that one doestn look riddled with disease
>>
>>2414264
Meh, problem fixed itself and he got out of the tank.

Don't know where he went, but he's not there anymore. I'll just keep the little rock cave in my strawberry patch for him with a water dish.
>>
File: 1495775623151.jpg (3MB, 2848x4272px) Image search: [Google]
1495775623151.jpg
3MB, 2848x4272px
Any of you guys have experience with liquid co2? Do you use it in addition to gaseous co2 or do you use it on its own? How do you manage DIY co2 systems (since, as far as I know, they just release co2 24/7)? I want to make a 30lts (10g) planted tank for a betta, so maybe a professional co2 kit would be a bit too much
>>
>>2414406
yeah just pour the liquid co2 into your tank
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>2414016
>>
>>2414205
40 breeder or 40 long? If it's a 40 breeder it might be okay. Use a straight edge against the corners of the long edge to see how much the glass is bowing out in the center.
>>
>>2414412
It's a breeder, it's bowing by 1/2 inch, I measured with a tape. I discovered a leak in the top corner on the side thats bowing. I just made a makeshift brace with packing tape and taped over the leak for now. I have some guppies and fry in it so I don't want to empty it yey, but I'm going to eventually take the whole thing apart and redo the seals and make a euro brace for it. I still payed too much ($20)
>>
>>2414251
Put the net underneath the fish and lift up.
>>
>>2414406
>How do you manage DIY co2 systems (since, as far as I know, they just release co2 24/7)
Either just let it run or vent it into the room.

Liquid carbon works pretty well and is easy. A 10 gallon would only take 1mL, so you should get a small syringe or a dedicated eyedropper (1mL is 20 drops).
>>
>>2414422
Would I have to dose the co2 daily? Also, I've heard some brands of liquid co2 can come with algicides (like Seachem) which can kill some kinds of moss and other plants, is this common amongst all liquid co2 dosings or can it be avoided?
>>
>>2414422
Ista sells a very basic Canned CO2 and Diffuser set for like $10. You pump the diffuser full of CO2 and it seeps into the water over time. You just have to buy additional cans from time to time which run about $5.
>>
>>2414205
>Mexican sees that dumb gringos buying rimless tanks for $400.
>Thinks he can get a 40g Breeder from the dumb gringos at the pet store for cheap.
>Thinks he can take the rim off it and sell it for $400 and make a load of money.
>Discovers its harder then it seems.
>Sells it from his truck to another dumb gringo.
>>
>>2413717
Just put a rock on that spot. I have a pot to disperse the water that comes out of my aquaclear.

>>2413714
While you are at it, rinse out the mechanical filter (the sponge). If your carbon release a bunch of junk, your sponge is in waaaay worse shape. This is normal though. That's the entire function of the mechanical filter: to get rid of debris and detrius before it hits the all-important ceramic media (biofilter). The reason being is that you don't want the ceramic clogged up. It inhibits growth.

>>2414430
It can be avoided, however it is pretty common that dosing CO2 works against algae. I wouldn't worry too much about moss though.

Also you can dose every other day, for instance excel flourish has instructions that state either once a day or once every other day.

>>2414205
The rim is there for structural purposes. The cheapo tanks commonly found in chain stores or even LFS are already bottom-barrel quality. Taking off the black rim is a great way to have something leak on you in a year or two and flood your room.

You can brace it but the more work you put into it, the less of a deal it is. I mean, Petco's $1/gal sale comes pretty often. At some point it's better just to chuck the thing and buy a real tank.
>>
>>2414449
A tube of silicon will set me back $5, razor blades arent expensive, all I need to do to keep it under the price of a new tank if find a 16" long piece of glass to use as a brace under $10. I have the time, please don't demotivate me :(.
>>
>>2414455
Just call a glass shop. It's pretty cheap, they can get you the exact size and thickness you want. They will even grind down the edges so you don't get cut on it.
>>
>>2414455
If you can do it cheap, go for it. That brace will be key, but it could end up being pretty cool.

I guess you can think of it another way: how much would a rimless 40G tank cost? As long as you don't exceed that, you're good. And those fuckers are expensive.
>>
Have had some guppies for a few weeks now. I know they will eat their own fry but do they do it because the fuckers will eat 24/7 given the chance or do they generally only do it when hungry?

I have some really bushy water sprite growth in that tank. Even then I'm not sure if it's enough cover for the fry.
>>
>>2414465
A bit of both.

It's not a great idea to try to overfeed them so much that they're just too full to eat fry. You'll end up polluting the tank way faster.

Either provide more dense foliage for fry to hide or simply separate the fry (usually by separating the pregnant fish just before they give birth).

But after a few spawns you'll likely have so many fucking fry around you're not going to give two shits if they all get eaten. You'll probably hope they do really, because your tank will start to get overstocked.
>>
>>2414430
It's recommended to dose daily, but there are people online who have done larger doses 1 or 2 times a week and it still benefits the plants.

Liquid carbon supplements use glutaraldehyde as the carbon source, which is itself an algaecide. I've never heard of it killing moss (Seachem Excel doesn't hurt mine) but Vallisneria and Elodea are sensitive to it and will probably melt.

>>2414431
Are they the 15g cans? Those usually only last 2-3 weeks. Passive CO2 diffusion (like the bell system you're describing) is less effective than active diffusion, but will still do a lot of good for plant growth. The main downside is the cost of the canisters, but you might be able to find some at a bike shop, paintball shop, or somewhere that sells beer brewing supplies, that will fit into the Ista regulator.
>>
guys im new can someone post doggies plz thx!!!
>>
>>2414481
He should make kilju and feed the CO2 from that into his tank. Worked for some plants I was growing in a box rather well.
>>
>>2414474
Thanks. I'm thinking of picking up some more java moss or something. Yeah, I heard that it will get to a point that there could be too many.

I was mostly curious because I was looking earlier and I could only see a single fry. Either they were hiding well, there were few to start with, or a bunch had been eaten already.
>>
Greetings /an/, Im a frequent viewer of /pol/ but I thought i'd give other boards a try.

Any aquarium bros could help me decide how to make a vivarium (aquavivarium?) for a potential axolotol pet. I like those big dumb water dragon dumbies and they are pretty cool salamander things.

I've had experience with other types of reptiles. Im good at taking care of exotic pets.
>>
>>2413401
everyone that kept aquariums from like 1975 to 1997 did this it didn't kill their fish. i have a koi pond full of matalla matting that i still blast out with a hose. everybody always asking me questions about my filter and maintenance.
>>
Sorry if I sound dumb as shit; do goldfish need to be kept together or can they be solitary? If they should be kept in groups, is there an ideal minimum?
>>
File: Finler.jpg (56KB, 500x448px) Image search: [Google]
Finler.jpg
56KB, 500x448px
>>2414491
>I'm a frequent viewer of /pol/
Welcome brother.
>>
>>2414488
Guarantee they're hiding like fucking pros. You may not think you have a lot of hiding spaces, but they'll find it. In a few days they'll probably come out a little more. Also, if you have HOB or canister or sump, check there often. Buy a prefilter. Those guys get sucked up all the time. This is technically not that bad for them as they can feed off of microorganisms that grow there.

>>2414491
Plenty of other resources out there that will be less toxic than us. However you should know some basics so you know what you're getting into.

Generally it's accepted that a 20 gallon long (NOT high) aquarium is fine to house two axlotls.

They do not do very well with practically any other tank mates.

Their primary diet tends to consist of live earthworms, although when they are small they will need these to be chopped up.

They are rather soft and delicate, so you can't put any random shit in there or they can hurt themselves. Often people have bare bottom (no gravel or other substrate) because of this.

They like low flow aquariums, so sponge filter over Hang-On-Back. Read up on the nitrogen cycle. This is probably the most important aspect of the freshwater hobby.

>>2414497
They are actually social creatures, but as far as I know they don't particularly need a huge number. Two would probably be fine.
>>
>>2414493
>>2413401
Yeah, a truly established, stable tank will have some pretty hardy bacteria in the media. I'm not condoning crazy hot water washing, but it's not that surprising that your mom's media isn't totally wrecked each time.

Yes, the bacteria colony is definitely taking a hit each time, but it's not going to be nearly as bad as you think.
>>
>>2414409
wtf kind of fish is that
>>
>>2412967
they do that because you don't have a proper school. also delet neon tetras I fuckjgn hate them they die if you look at them the wrong way, cardinals are 1000x better
>>
>>2412967
>>2414526
Schooling fish won't automatically school in a tank. Especially if they are in a tank with zero stress (no predators). You may see them school at first, but after a while they could stop. Feel free to try it on your next tank. Get ONLY neon or cardinal tetras for a month or two. They'll stop schooling.
>>2414526
The problem with neons is that they are also right behind shit like goldfish and guppies as the most commonly sold chain pet store fish, which means they're bred like a mofo and treated like shit, so the ones you get tend to be sickly due to a shit life. However healthy ones are pretty fucking robust, and they have a significantly longer lifespan.
I do like cardinals better though. Better coloration.
>>
>>2413653

The greenish spot remains almost unchanged, I am pretty much 100% sure it's the dead spot for water flow in my tank, stuff swirls around and comes to rest there, like sinking plant matter and a few pieces of the gel that the plants came in that ended up in the tank.

Ammonia: 0 Nitrite: 0 Nitrate: somwhere between 5 and 20ppm the shade of orange is different but it's not DANGER RED like the chart has for 40+, I guess it's time to go buy some pure ammonia and test it out and maybe start stocking on my day off (Saturday). Aside from some variety of zebra danio, what can/should I stock in a 20H? I want amanos but the pH is still hanging out at 7.8 which I think is bad for them, need to look up their preferences again (water changes will probably drop this, along with nitrates). I would get some small gouramis but it seems small for the requisite 2-3. Maybe I will find a pretty betta at wal-mart and save it from whatever hell it would have found itself in.
>>
The wife talked me into getting a pair of Farlowella vittata because "hurr durr they're jew plecos"
how do I make jew pleco babies?
>>
>>2414416
>it's bowing by 1/2 inch
you're right on the edge of breaking.
>>
>>2414556
Leagues better than what happened to my 20G. GF made me put glowfish in it.
>>
File: lol.jpg (19KB, 310x310px) Image search: [Google]
lol.jpg
19KB, 310x310px
>>2414566
>glowfish
>>
>>2414564
Yeah, my makeshift packing tape brace seems to be doing a good job, was able to pull the bow in. Im going to take the whole thing apart and redo all the seals and add a glass brace to the top.
>>
>>2414591
I've built a few tanks from scratch before, I have a suggestion if you'll hear it:

It's possible this isn't an aquarium, it might be a terrarium which uses much thinner glass. If it were mine I'd get some calipers and check the glass thickness against a thickness calculator online. You want a safety factor of at least 5. If it's not up to par even a eurobrace isn't going to be a safe solution. Keep in mind that braces don't really have a lot of surface to bite onto. The glass needs to hold most of the weight of the water without bowing.
>>
>>2414591
post a pic so we can see the damage that the beaner did to the tank before you bought it
>>
>>2414605
I measured with a tape measure, looks to be 1/4", I'm pretty sure its an aquarium. . .
Does that sound right?
>>
>>2414609
Yeah, 3/16" is industry standard for 40g tanks. Should be good to go. I'm just surprised you're getting that much deflection. That's really a lot for a relatively short run of glass.
>>
File: unnamed.jpg (149KB, 1259x944px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.jpg
149KB, 1259x944px
>>2414607
pls no bully
>>
>>2414619
jfc it sounded like he only took a small piece of the black rim off, but he did a fucking number to it. well, at least most of the work is done for your eurobrace! you will have to post pics of that too when you do it.
>>
>>2414619
looks workable. Just don't chip that rim taking the frame off.
>>
>>2414485
How long did it take to run out of carbon? How much did you make?
>>
Is it considered acceptable practise to keep fish fry in smaller tanks until they are older. I am looking into keeping fancy goldfish and it's suggested that for a tank size it should be 20 gallons for the first fish and then 10 more for every other fish, but I'm looking into getting fish that are only an inch or less long and I don't really want a 50+ gallon tank that they'll be utterly lost in and is not to mention expensive as hell.

I guess I'd essentially like to use it like a grow out tank and then move them to an outdoor pond.
>>
>>2414776
Yes, this is a regular practice when breeding fish: make the parents breed in a separate tank, after the deed is done get them back to their regular one, and let the fry grow in the breeding tank (until they need an upgrade). Just make sure to have the breeding tank/pond stablished beforehand and with hiding places for fry
>>
>>2414776
>goldfish outdoors
what? where do you live?
>>
>>2414789
northern scotland, but it'd be a heated pond.
>>
>>2414800
unless even that is a bad idea? i'd heard it was possible to keep certain varieties of goldfish outdoors even in the uk. I wouldn't want to hurt them though, so I'd rather know before I got them if it would be harmful.
>>
>>2414789
Hell I live in 5a and I have had goldfish in my pond for years.

Can't let it freeze over for super long so I run a bubbler sometimes to keep a hole. open.
>>
>>2414800
You're golden so long as the surface doesn't freeze over completely.
>>
File: Tank.jpg (2MB, 3511x2151px) Image search: [Google]
Tank.jpg
2MB, 3511x2151px
Adding mine, 70 Litre with Neolamprologus multifasciatus, had 10 originally but now up at 13 since a pair had their first successful spawn.
>>
>>2414776
Fancys in a pond are harder than regular goldfish. Birds etc. If u already have the pond they will grow out much faster in the pond. If you are trying to shelter fry from being eatten by preexisting pond fish i can provide a better solution than an aquarium using your pond.
>>
>>2414867
the reason i'd be keeping them in the aquarium first is because i don't have a pond yet, and i'd prefer to keep them in a pond but if i want more than three adult goldfish it's going to be extremely expensive to get big aquariums, even secondhand. maybe i'll put off getting fish until i can afford a larger indoor aquarium.
>>
my betta fish died yesterday
rip seymour aka fish friend, he used to like playing peekaboo
>>
>>2414406
What I do is that I set my bps quite low than when night comes, it doesn't affect the fish much. I add liquid carbon every other day
>>
>>2412956
I wish I had an aquarium that large. I probably wouldn't be able to decide on want to stock it with though.
>>
>>2414096
>>single individuals of tiny schooling/shoaling fish
I did some research and guppies do not school. Still gonna get some more today though.
>>
>>2414905
RIP Seymour
>>
>>2414763
Well, I made a few 2L bottles of the stuff and it stopped producing bubbles after two weeks or so. Then me and my brother drank all of the kilju.It's really easy to make. Sugar, water, and breadmaking yeast.
>>
>>2414952
shoaling and social/community behavior aren't schooling

There are many species which do not school but still should be kept in a group of similar individuals
>>
>>2414990
He should have clarified that in his comment then because he said "schooling/shoaling". I always see at least 40 male guppies in a tank at the LFS. I had two to start, but one of them died. So, maybe I will get like 4 more today. I can't spend too much money though...gotta save for fireworks!
>>
File: tank.jpg (3MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
tank.jpg
3MB, 4160x3120px
>>2414491
A 24 x 12 inch tank is okay for one, but you need a 30 x 12 inch tank for two. Shorter tanks are better because they like to come to the surface to gulp air sometimes.
An aerator is a good idea since they need good oxygen levels.
Get a big filter with low flow. Canister filters work very well for this.
If it gets hot where you live be prepared to freeze water bottles, rig up fans, or buy a chiller.
Fine sand or barebottom tanks. All décor should be very smooth. River stones at least twice as large as their head are good.
Avoid bright lighting and give them a cave or two to hide in. Low light plants are good, but don't use any kind of fertilizers with them. Crypts, anubias, java fern, anacharis and vals are all good. They can end up bulldozing plants, so floating anacharis and anubias glued to a big rock would be the easiest, but feel free to try stuff out.
Earthworms are a good staple food. You can put some ghost shrimp and small, round snails (ramshorn or bladder are okay) in the tank for them to hunt, too. I also feed mine crickets that are freshly molted so they're good and squishy. For a baby you can give them bloodworms or chopped up earthworms.
If you want to use dry food Hikari carnivore pellets are okay, just make sure they actually notice and east it instead of letting it root on the ground.
>>
>>2414497
They're social, but just two is fine.

>>2414554
If that's the case you can just put a rock or something in that spot.

>>2414617
When I derimmed my 10 gallon aquarium it bowed by about 1/4". Those plastic braces stuffed with silicone do make a big difference, still, mine ran like that for years with no issues.

>>2414776
>>2414800
Fancy goldfish are more sensitive than comets and it's usually recommended to keep them between 60-78°F. They're also more vulnerable to predators since they can't swim away as well.
>>
so I have 13 kuhlis and 3 platy in my 40 gallon. For the most part I only see the platy. The kuhli come out when I feed them and go nuts but otherwise the tank looks fairly barren

I want to add something bright (white) that actually looks good in the tank that wont eat my kuhlis or my plants. Any suggestions? No weak swimmers, my filter pump is too strong for them
>>
>>2414776
dont fucking get goldfish, they are disgusting, 3000 year genetic abominations that eat their own shit.
>>
>>2415054
White platies are a thing. Also silver mollies and white swordtails.
>>
>>2415064
yeah in going to replace the mutt platies I have with pandas but Swordtails and Mollies would destroy my pearlweed and dwarf sag
>>
>>2414974
This is a great idea, thank you anon

>>2415054
Maybe albino cories?
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>2414016
Other photo of >>2413987
>>
my betta died of bloat not too long ago. Yesterday my frog died of bloat. I've been doing water changes frequently since my betta died. Do I need to get an antifungal/antiparasitic before the rest of my fish die? Or do I just keep salting, vacuuming and changing the water?
>>
>>2415109
what kind of frog?
>>
>>2415109
Bloat can be caused by a lot of different things, and the causes are different from fish to fish, and radically different when looking at frogs. It is unlikely that this is a pathogen issue, and much more likely that your water conditions are terrible, resulting in separate, but related, death of your tank denizens.
>>
>>2414899
if you can afford a linear and some cinder blocks its pretty easy and not that expensive to build a pond. if you are dedicated to fancys I would say get an aquarium and two filters.
>>
>>2414942
That's a $8,000 tank with $100,000 worth of fish in it. Getting the tank is the cheap part, stocking it costs a fortune.
>>
>>2415208
>That's a $8,000 tank with $100,000 worth of fish in it.
you have no idea what you're talking about. If that's an $8,000 tank I'll take two
>>
>>2415055
I can honestly say that i have had every kind of aquarium fresh, salt, brackish, cichlids. I've had rare fish, endangered fish, game fish, arowanas, and even stonefish/Synanceia. The only thing I have kept for the last 10 years is goldfish and some koi. Its very enjoyable. They don't fight, they rarely get sick, they tolerate a wide variety of water conditions, you can always find them. The only thing I can really say bad about them is they shit a lot.
>>
>>2415208
I count like 25 fish that are all very common actually every single person i know with a salt tank has more money in it than that and they don't have 100k in it.
>>2415211
How much do you think that tank is. I'm serious because I have a super large kiln and I've seen those idiots on the fish show make them enough to know they just slump some plastic in a kiln.
>>
Guys is there a way to know if an ornament is dangerous for ma fishes?

I just wanted a cool buda too chill in the depths with my fresh water dragons.

Any sing to know this piece of plastic or whatever is damaging my fishes?
>>
>>2415269
Just pH strips. Ceramic "I don't believe in god" ornaments are safe for your fishes.

During this life.
>>
>>2415269
Buddha always trying to reincarnate fish souls to the next life asap
>>
File: IMG_20170623_224611.jpg (540KB, 1120x1680px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170623_224611.jpg
540KB, 1120x1680px
>>2415282
*blocks your path to the next life*
>>
>>2415271
>>2415282
ty mates, these little niggas better start to belive in hinduism and shit
>>
>>2415208
Just throw a couple of livebearers in it and wait.
>>
> lfs has a special tomorrow

Planning on getting a 30g filter to prep a tank. Recently grown towards the thought of having a female betta tank. Five, probably. What other tank mates are viable? Guessing I'd have to put them in before the bettas.
>>
>>2415297
They already shit everywhere.
The transition will be pretty easy for them.
>>
>>2415300
Anything that works with a single male betta, usually. So ye old neon tetras for instance. Sometimes guppies. Etc.
>>
>>2415211
>If that's an $8,000 tank I'll take two
I'm assuming you'd do a poured concrete base and order the acrylic from an industrial supplier. I'm not counting labor, which I suppose would up the price since a poured tank that big would need some expertise to avoid cracking. But even that won't cost you more than a couple grand most places.
>>2415241
>I count like 25 fish that are all very common actually
That looks to be at least 4000 gallons, you're going to want more than 25 fish. Check prices, even those common wrasse supermales go for over $100 after shipping. You could save by buying in bulk except you'd have a hell of a time finding a supplier that could fill that order.
>>
>>2415079
looks to be a Black Drum
>>
>>2415319
>I'm assuming you'd do a poured concrete base and order the acrylic from an industrial supplier. I'm not counting labor, which I suppose would up the price since a poured tank that big would need some expertise to avoid cracking. But even that won't cost you more than a couple grand most places.
The acrylic alone would probably exceed $8000 actually due to fabrication. Very thick, very large panels cost a shit ton, then a shit ton more to ship. Anything curved makes them waaaay more expensive.

For reference, Joey Mullen spent over $1500 on EACH of his totally flat, not nearly as large acrylic panels for his mere 2100G concrete aquarium.

When he publishes his detailed video series on making his new aquarium gallery, we'll know the exact costs of everything, however with the little bits of info he's given over livestreams and other videos, the cost of his concrete tank is actually probably pretty close to $8000, and it's not nearly as large or as complex, and keep in mind that he did a shit ton of work by himself (thus saving labor).

And when you're doing a commercial facility like this, shit isn't cheap. There's a lot of markup going on with contractors on this scale.
>>
>>2415319
>>2415337
BTW
>source: I'm a consultant. I review and write proposals for all kinds of tenant fit-outs and system builds. You would be horrified to know how much it costs to install some of the dumbest shit.

Also I'm not the guy you're replying to. Just thought I'd interject.

Think of it this way: Petco often sells tanks at $1/gal up to I think 40G?

But try to buy a brand new 200G tank for a mere $200. Not going to happen. Things get crazy when you scale them up.
>>
>>2415337
>The acrylic alone would probably exceed $8000 actually due to fabrication.
looks to be two pieces though you could probably do it in 4. Shipping would be the killer.
>>2415341
>Things get crazy when you scale them up.
they get considerably cheaper. I can build a 200g tank for far less than what they cost at the store. Glass is cheap.

I have a 1000g glass tank I built. The glass cost me $956. I think I paid another $300 for lumber for the stand.
>>
>>2415348
I have some tempered glass plates I salvaged from a glass shelving unit a store was getting rid of a while back, considering turning them into aquariums with plywood on the bottom and three sides, and a single glass panel for the front. Not sure on cost efficiency at such a small size though.
>>
>>2415329
Thanks.
I was thinking that was unlikely until I double-checked the possible size for black drums. They can get fucking massive. The specimen in the photo is probably 2-3 feet long at most.
>>
>>2415353
you don't usually want tempered for vertical panes. I've never tried a mixed wood and glass tank, I was always afraid I couldn't seal the wood well enough. I'd be skeered it would break.
>>
>>2415359
I have two sizes of glass plate; 23.75 and 35.75 inches long, the 3-footers are 14 inches tall even, the 2-footers are 13.875 for some reason. since they are so small I didn't really think I was going to be looking at forces that'd shatter the quarter-inch-thick plates.
>>
>>2415364
yeah, where tempered fails is in flex rather than weight. They can handle huge amounts of weight but tend to explode with even slight flexing. Probably not a problem in a tank that size, but it's a possibility. If nothing else you've got a lot of flex in the plywood which could separate or shatter the glass.

regular glass will break with too much flex as well, but it cracks rather than exploding. Gives you more time to move stuff. Either way I think what you're planning would work. I think marine grade plywood + fiberglass and resin costs more than glass though.
>>
>>2415348
>they get considerably cheaper. I can build a 200g tank for far less than what they cost at the store. Glass is cheap.
>I have a 1000g glass tank I built. The glass cost me $956. I think I paid another $300 for lumber for the stand.
Dude. You just proved my point. Sure, you could build it for less than the store, but you still can't build it proportionally cheaper than smaller aquariums.

I'll reiterate. Things get more costly in this hobby as they scale up, as it is the case with many things.

My example was a Petco $1/gal tank. E.g. a $40, 40G tank. No frills.

By your own admission, just the glass cost nearly $1000 for 1000 gallon. Anything else on top of that would already prove that you are breaking the Petco benchmark, thus disproving the "things get cheap as they scale up" myth. Things that would easily put you over:
1) Labor. You think commercial aquarium owners build their own shit? lol Also, your labor is only free if your time is worth nothing.
2) Just the shit that's keeping your tank together would put you over $1k.
3) Just the tools you used to build your tank put you over $1k. Feel free to not include that if you want.

There's always smaller costs that people ignore. That's what makes margins shrink. They just look at a couple of the big rocks and think, "Oh, this is all it takes for this project to work."
>>
>>2415370
>>2415364
Mathing this out, I am going to lose the 0.75 inch of length to the glass being set into routed grooves in the side panels (and a bit of height, but I am calculating for 12 inch deep water regardless) if I made tanks that were 16 inches in depth, then I am looking at about 24 gallons for the 3ft and 16 gallons for the 2ft pieces. I'd have to look up or find something to calculate the pressure but it does exceed what I am seeing listed as the carrying capacity for a shelf of those dimensions, but I am not counting the bottom inset as a support. If I have a strong frame around the panels then even the larger ones can carry the full weight of that much water. I just can't leave the top lip as bare glass I guess. I do think the plywood + a suitable waterproofing membrane/mastic/paint/sealer is going to be significantly more expensive than just buying tanks of these sizes, but part of the attractiveness is being able to install fittings for equipment, and making the exterior of the tank unqiue.
>>
>>2415375
>Dude. You just proved my point.
that I paid less than a dollar a gallon for a monster tank? That's way cheaper per gallon than what I could build a 40g for.

>2) Just the shit that's keeping your tank together would put you over $1k.
$8 worth of GE Silocone II
>3) Just the tools you used to build your tank put you over $1k. Feel free to not include that if you want
I had all the tools long before I built the thing.
>>
>>2415379
>part of the attractiveness is being able to install fittings for equipment
Yeah, good point. You can get glass drilled for whatever, but once it's in place you can't do much with it. Wood is way easier to work with.

Not sure about the bare lip, you might get away with it. If your panes are actually 1/4 inch that's way thicker than needed for that height.
>>
>>2415379
>I'd have to look up or find something to calculate the pressure
just google "aquarium glass thickness calculator."
there's a bunch of them online. They can tell you what each pane will hold.
>>
>>2415380
>>Dude. You just proved my point.
>that I paid less than a dollar a gallon for a monster tank? That's way cheaper per gallon than what I could build a 40g for.
>>2) Just the shit that's keeping your tank together would put you over $1k.
>$8 worth of GE Silocone II
>>3) Just the tools you used to build your tank put you over $1k. Feel free to not include that if you want
>I had all the tools long before I built the thing.
Again, only if your time is worth nothing. THose that paid for the OP aquarium certainly didn't build it themselves. And again, it's clearly a much more complex build than your average DIY tank, and certainly your build.

So here's what we got.

We have some dude on /aq/ stating he built a 1000G aquarium for supposedly less than $1000 with no documentation whatsoever, and it is also probably a very cut and dry aquarium.

Then we have the most popular DIY fishkeeper youtuber in the world doing a smaller, less complex build than OP's pic, with quite a bit of documentation in his videos, with tons more to come, which already approaches the supposed $8k ballpark figure.

Then we have OP's picture, which is a commercial setup, meaning no DIY "discounts."

k
>>
>>2415182
African Dwarf

>>2415197
my water has been fine. My tank is fully cycled and I did periodic water changes (20% once a week) The only change happened was adding the ADF, im 90% sure it carried SOMETHING into my water despite quarantining it and im just wondering at this point if I should medicate or just keep doing water changes
>>
>>2415387
>Again, only if your time is worth nothing
by that measure, how many thousands of dollars have you spent keeping fish tanks running? I don't count my time when I'm doing what I enjoy. I'm retired, I can build fish tanks all day if I want.

> it is also probably a very cut and dry aquarium.
yes, the only tricky part was I ordered the bottom sheet with a 3" hole drilled in the center. Other than that it's just a glass box.
>it's clearly a much more complex build than your average DIY tank, and certainly your build.
It's way simpler, mostly because you DO have to shop out most of the work.
>>
Wow I got my ammonia down to .02/ppm and now I got a bunch of algae. Guess if my fish ain't dying then I should at least have an infect aquarium. Already got a few random snails, whats some rust and hair algae? It's like a microcosm of bullshit.
>>
>>2415415
Start ODing Flourish Excel
>>
>>2415418
What is it?
>>
>>2415420
it's a CO2 supplement that contains an algaecide

Will help your plants grow as well. Look it up
>>
Guys my wccm have started nipping one of their own, his fins are a bit fucked up an ld he floats very close to the surface. I don't the the tetras are doing it cause I've only seen the one vibrant wccm attack other fish. What do?
>>
>>2415415
>>2415420
Using a syringe to squirt hydrogen peroxide directly on the algae can also help. 1mL per gallin. Turn the lights off when you do it and turn them back on a couple hours later.
>>
>>2415380
>GE Silicone II
Why? That's the one with mold inhibitors dumb dumb.
>>
File: tank glue.jpg (251KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
tank glue.jpg
251KB, 800x600px
>>2415458
>caught the error AND corrected my spelling
I got sloppy but left it to see if anyone would catch it.

good eye. This is what I use to build tanks. GE Silicone I.
>>
>>2415457
Well it's kinda in the entirety of my tank, otherwise I might consider hydrogen peroxide.

>>2415422
Ill look into it thanks. Might pick it up in the morning.
>>
>>2415448
>wccm
>wcmm
pick one
what is your male to female ratio?
>>
>>2415462
I only caught it because I've been doing my homework for my shitty craigslist 40 gal breeder im going to rebuild. How many tubes of that shit you think ill need on that?
>>
>>2415422
The bottle literally says do not OD and there isn't shit about controlling algae on it.
>>
>>2415469
less than one.

wipe your seams with rubbing alcohol.
tape both sides of the seal off with painters tape.
remember that the width of the seal doesn't matter, don't go over about 1/4" on each pane.
run your bead steady and not too heavy.
wet your finger
smear the bead with your finger, pushing it into the corner without bubbles.
wash your hands.
wait 15 minutes and pull your tape off.
DONE!
>>
>>2415469
1 tube is plenty, make sure you get the gun for it.
>>
File: P4100009.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
P4100009.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>2415469
The hardest part is building a jig to hold the panes square while you glue them.

Here's one I built for my 1000g tank.
>>
>>2415474
fake and gay
>>
File: SANY0001.jpg (1MB, 2664x2463px) Image search: [Google]
SANY0001.jpg
1MB, 2664x2463px
>>2415477
I'd give you a timestamp except it's in the basement where my son and his gf are currently sleeping.

/aq/ knows this is my tank though.
>>
>>2415479
>id give my timestamp but <insert excuse>
you ain't gotta lie to kick it homie
>>
>>2415474
Won't I be able to get away with just duct tape for the 40 gal? Or do I need a bar clamp?
>>
File: the tank.jpg (164KB, 1024x562px) Image search: [Google]
the tank.jpg
164KB, 1024x562px
>>2415481
why the fuck would I lie about that?

like I said, the thing cost me less than most 100g setups to build.
>>
>>2415483
duct tape can work, but you'll need 2 people to make it work if you don't have a jig.

make sure you put all the bottom tape on before you start gluing up. You have about 20 minutes to finish the project, which is 5 minutes per side.

it's way easier with someone helping, but it's still a rush either way. Have your tape in place before you start gluing. When I glued up my big tank I had 3 other people helping me on top of the jig.
>>
>>2415485
I'll employ my wifes help, thanks for the tips.
>>
>>2415486
no problem.

what I do is put all the tape on the underside of the bottom pane. Glue the first side onto the bottom panel. Flip the tape up in place and have someone hold it up while I glue side 2. Once the second side is glued you just tape the corner between sides one and two. Then you don't need any help from there, the first 2 sides keep it square if you taped it right.
>>
>>2415468
Sorry white cloud mountain minnow, I'm not sure on the ratio, but I think I can assume more males than females because one minnow is stronk and controls the center area of the tank and the bitch minnow hides in the corner
>>
How should I treat my gold dojo loach who looks to have body fluke (theres a red spot on top of its head) and a ripped off pectoral fin?
>>
File: 1498293105342~01.jpg (40KB, 306x749px) Image search: [Google]
1498293105342~01.jpg
40KB, 306x749px
>>2415474
A man of many hobbies, I see.

Did you ever repair the tank?
>>
File: wcmm.jpg (86KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
wcmm.jpg
86KB, 1280x720px
>>2415602
Dunno, my minnows seem pretty chill and don't nip at all. I have a mix of gold and silver white clouds in my tank. This pic should help you sex them.
>>
>>2415484
I think you overstocked your tank!
>>
>>2415422
Ok, I did some more research this morning and it seems that the type of algae I have grows in low CO2 environments, so the Flourish Excel should help with that, although Seachem says it is not an algaecide.
>>
>>2413463
Me and my wife are pretty experienced in this bullshi but we approve of your tank atleast it has decent false plants and gravel
>>
>>2415673
I will sex them when I get home. I have this one male minnow that is beautiful bright colors and flares out at the other fish the only problem is if anyone gets in his central water area, he chases them off
>>
>>2415692
Sounds like my one asshole minnow, Speedy. I added 6 more minnows the other day and he knocked that shit off, so maybe you need a few more. How many do you have?
>>
>>2415474
So you built your tank in place then? I mean like you built it in it's permanent spot?
>>
>>2415690
It's not intended for use as an algaecide, and it's not CO2.
It should still help, though.
>>
>>2413462
Use lace rock or pumice to build up the cave. If you're craftsy you can follow tutorials on DIY 3D backgrounds to make stalagmite/tite formations. Use single LEDs with a narrow range to create spotlights (bonus points if you angle them). Small gems, colored glass, prop gold coins, and/or gold painted gravel could make up the treasure pile. If you fashion an overhang above the treasure, you can put a small, waterproof LED on the underside of the overhang so that it shines directly on the treasure and gives a sparkle effect.
>>
>>2415769
Hmm ok well I just got some. I usually do the water change on the weekend, so should I remove the water, dose, and then add the fresh stuff in or add the wait until after the change and then add the Flourish Excel?
>>
i've not noticed it ?s much on ?ch?n, but why ?re goldfish ?nd the people who keep them looked down upon, especi?lly when they keep only goldfish?
>>
>>2415797
Because they are seen as pleb-tier fish at best, or inbred monsters like pugs and certain other breeds of dogs at worst, is my guess. Goldfish *are* messy, requiring better filtration and more maintenance and more frequent water changes. Fancier goldfish can be delicate and prone to all sorts of health problems. The only way I'd ever keep them is in a pond, myself, and then only if I couldn't keep anything else.
>>
>>2415778
plz respond
>>
>>2415778
>>2415819
If it's any sort of liquid fert I have had zero issues literally dumping that stuff straight into the tank. I'd say add it to the new water or after the water change so you're not removing a bunch of it?
>>
>>2415822
Good point. I figured as much but its nice to get other opinions.
>>
>>2415667
the dolls are my wife's. The tank is patched and leak tested but not filled or stocked yet.

>>2415719
yeah, I'd have to knock down a wall to move it. Also the tank alone weighs over 600lbs. I'd guess the tank and stand together are about 1/2 ton empty. If I wanted to move it it would be easier to just build a new one.
>>
>>2415826
Holy shit that's heavy! Looks cool though, nice job.
>>
File: 20170624_175722.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170624_175722.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>2415696
Dog he's dying what do I do??? He acts like he can't swim down and keeps floating to the top?
>>
File: 20170624_175950.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170624_175950.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>2415831
PLEASE /AN/ IDK HOW MUCH TIME HE HAS LEFT
>>
>>2415831
is that a space background? send more aquarium pics
>>
>>2415832
Isolate him into a jar of tank water. I hope he pulls through!
>>
File: 20170624_180537.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170624_180537.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>2415835
What will that do????

>>2415834
If you save my minnow I'll post as many photos as you want
>>
>>2415839
It'd like he can't right himself and he keeps floating on his side
>>
>>2415839
It will stop him from getting his fins kicked in. So he is swimming, just poorly?
>>
>>2415844
He has trouble staying upright he will swim a bit but then just floats back up, the little guy is struggling
>>
>>2415845
BTW all the other fish seem fine
>>
>>2415845
Is it possible that you overfeeding him? I'm no fish doctor btw, but it sounds like his swim bladder is tucked up.
>>
>>2415850
Fucked not tucked...
>>
>>2415850
>>2415849
>>2415845
>>2415843
>>2415831

It sounds to me like a swim bladder problem, stop feeding, maybe try a shelled pea or spinach as a laxative? Not a doctor.
>>
>>2415852
Just checked ammonia, not higher than the usual 2.0 ppm I have some frozen peas, but he doesn't seem like he will eat
>>
Sup /aq/ this is new tank idiot again. I tried adding like a teaspoon and a half of my seachem neutral regulator because I figured most pet store fish would not appreciate going from presumably neutral to 7.8, it did nothing, got the KH test kit (no GH because they only had the KH standalone? going to find the combo later) and I am testing at "rift lake or brackish" levels. I am not sure what my tap water tests at right now, and the only stuff I think I have been adding that would increase KH is my fertilizer. I actually thought I was under-fertilizing since several of my plants started fading and melting. I'm confused :(
>>
>>2415859
Doing some googling around to educate myself, maybe I've just got a shitload of KH from there not being enough stuff producing ammonia to produce nitrites to produce nitrates to even absorb it? My guess is between my water, the conditioners and PH regulator, my rocks, the NatGeo sand I got, maybe the substrate I used, my fertilizer, and the lack of fish my pH and KH and GH steadily rose to this equilibrium.
>>
File: 20170624_184543.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170624_184543.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
I think it may be too late :( he's still breathing but not moving much
>>
File: 20170624_185519.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170624_185519.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>2415864
I have him in this net not sure what to do, he won't eat peas
>>
Wheres the best place to get a cheap aquarium? Even the ones at Walmart are like $50+ o just want a small 5-10 gallon tank for my apartment
>>
File: 20170624_190231.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170624_190231.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>2415868
Time of death 7:02 pm central

This is your fault /aq/ you could have prevented this.

Fuck this gay hobby
>>
>>2415873
sorry for your 25 cent loss.
>>
>>2415874
HE WAS WORTH ALOT MORE THAN .25 TO ME

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>2415873
>This is your fault /aq/ you could have prevented this.
>>2415853
>the usual 2.0 ppm
no dear, we can't prevent you from killing fish in an uncycled tank.
>>
>>2415876
2.0 was a joke i know that way to high

its a little under .25 ppm

its your fault he's dead, but its ok i swallowed him like a pill so he wont go to waste
>>
>>2415871
Pet Supplies Plus started their dollar a gallon sale today, for tanks from 10 to 55? gallons
>>
>>2415875
sorry homie give him a proper sailor's burial
>>
>>2415903
he said he ate him...

brb starting a 40g breeder of guppies to put on pizza
>>
>>2415905
i really doubt he actually swallowed the fish. i did swallow a live goldfish once though.
>>
>>2415908
Aside from fearing the fish was sick (although afaik almost nothing is communicable from minnows to humans) I think eating a minnow is safer than most goldfish.

I think I am going to do a water change and start stocking my 20H tomorrow. probably a male betta rescued from damnation from a wal-mart or petsmart, zebra danios, some small catfish, and amanos. Not all at once.
>>
>>2415828
thanks, I had fun building it.
>>
>>2415859 only a few people who post here are able to answer weird kh and gh questions and yet
im not sure if there is a question here?
>>
>>2415947
Basically I was wondering if super high KH is a problem for fish, I don't want to be locked out of softer water fish and I know some fish won't breed successfully or at all in water with a higher pH.

I was more wondering if anyone had experience with a tank ending up like this, highish pH, high KH (making it hard to change pH at all)
>>
>>2415933
How long did it take?
>>
>>2415947
>>2415958
Also was sort of wondering what was killing my plants and if the pH was going to be a problem for acclimating new fish.
>>
File: P6080010.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
P6080010.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>2415959
I spent 2 months planning, researching, and drawing up plans.

It took me 2 months start to finish to build it. Most of that time was on the stand. Actually gluing up the tank took 20-30 minutes, you have exactly the same working time with the silicone no matter the tank size.
>>
>>2415958
>I was wondering if super high KH is a problem for fish,
only if you're trying to breed them
>I don't want to be locked out of softer water fish and I know some fish won't breed successfully or at all in water with a higher pH.
if you're breeding amazonians or something you need to get an RO/DI unit. Seriously, it's way cheaper than buffers in the long run.

>I was more wondering if anyone had experience with a tank ending up like this, highish pH, high KH (making it hard to change pH at all)
yes, most people have hard water but don't worry about it because they're not breeding fish.

again, the only time it matters is if you're breeding, and then you need an RO/DI unit.
>>
>>2415970
I guess I was just listening too much to the parameters spouted by companies trying to sell me hardness and pH treatments. I guess I will skip out on picking up the GH kit and just enjoy myself for a while. Thanks for clarifying.

Looking it up I found Bulk Reef Supply RO/DI systems are relatively inexpensive all things considered, but I'll do my research and ask those questions if I ever do decide to go down that path.
>>
>>2415973
yeah, messing with pH and hardness is usually more dangerous than leaving it alone since you can easily cause big pH swings using various buffers, and swings are worse than a wrong pH.

I paid $119 for my RO/DI unit on ebay. Totally worth it.
>>
>>2415978
4 stage? seems they almost double in price from 4-6 stages. Bulk Reef's little overviews said 4 stage is fine for clean chlorinated water, 5 stage for light chloramines, and 6 for basically anything. Not sure if accurate or if you can swap out the media that dechlorinates for one that removes chloramines instead.
>>
>>2415984
yes, 4 stage. My water has chlorine and is really hard. Nitrates are relatively high and phosphate is readable.

the 4 stage does a great job but doesn't deal with silica. I get a bloom of diatoms every time I do a water change. But other than that the 4 stage works fine for me.
>>
>>2415988
Honestly this whole confusion about my parameters would have happened on my first tank except I had access to a LFS that time, so rather than using Arizona tapwater (which I know is hard) I was buying RO/DI water 5 gallons at a time from the store about once or twice a month to use for topping off (understocked, planted, overfiltered tank; very few water changes really happened). As a result I am familiar using treatments to get water ready for the tank but never realised what tap water was really like to work with.

I know the water where I am now uses chloramines, but it's not a bridge to cross right now.
>>
>>2415994
I'm in Colorado, I have really hard water and it just gets worse as it heads your way. I bought the RO/DI for reef tanks, I don't use it for freshwater at all. I've kept discus and rams and such in extremely hard water before. They don't care about hardness or pH at all so long as you acclimate slowly. They just won't have any eggs that hatch in hard water.
>>
>>2414619
it looks like it's gonna burst at any minute dude, a fucking time bomb on that carpet
>>
>>2415970
I've lived in like 3 states and always low ph to the point of adding coral and oyster shells to buffer.
>>2415973
not the guy answering your questions but defiantly skip the gh kit. get some fish and get cycled.
>>
>>2416001
I am in PA now, similar situation different? reasons.
>>
>>2412956
Aq, I just made my first tank with both sand and gravel and i fucked up and got lots of gravel mixed in the sand. Whats a fast way to strain my substrates? Theres nothing in the tank yet so theres no bacteria on the gravel, so nothing to worry about there. I think i might toss this gravel substrate because it sucks.
>>
>>2415871
If you need the filter and light as well PetSmart and Walmart both have basic 5 and 10 gallon kits for $30. The PetSmart 5 gallon is better than the Walmart 5 gallon, but the 10 gallon kits are about the same.
>>
>>2416022
You have many options.
>a pooper scooper
>a crap collector
>a turd tumbler
>a shit sifter
>a log... picker-upper

Get the metal ones they make for reptiles.
>>
>>2416029
Log ladle
Dowel trowel
Dump pump
>>
>>2416042
don't forget the herp derp
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjjJ1_6XCpo
>>
/aq/ I just found one of my kuhlis stuck in my giant hairgrass. A blade of the grass was stuck through its gill, coming out of its mouth. I'd seen the kuhli a few days earlier in the back but thought he was just chilling there so it was stuck for awhile

Was it a freak occurrence or should I remove the grass completely? It probably got itself stuck there by weatherdancing and while the kuhli was still alive, I don't know if the next one to get stuck would make it
>>
File: imageproxy.jpg (173KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
imageproxy.jpg
173KB, 1024x768px
What does /aq/ think of rimless tanks? I'm looking for 50lts (~12gal) tanks in my area and mostly see rimless ones. Are they safe? Should I put any extra support on them?
>>
>>2412999
he is a wild frog that tried moving INTO the tank you retard
>>
File: 20170502_162821.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170502_162821.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>2416156
My weather loaches blow sand and whole pellets through their gills. Loaches are quirky dudes, he was probably fine. My tank is a 24/7 tard party.
>>
>>2416254
had a couple kuhli loaches like 15 yaers ago when I was a kid and I remember them picking up while gravel in their mouths and dropping them elsewhere in the tank. The goldfish did too.
>>
>>2416282
Years* whole* goddamn.
>>
>>2416169
>buy rimless tank
>add rim to it
Makes perfect sense.
>>
>>2412967
Frog will die without food
>>
File: shopping.jpg (28KB, 400x488px) Image search: [Google]
shopping.jpg
28KB, 400x488px
So right now I'm just cramming a ton of HOB filters on my turtles' tanks in order to get my double filtration, but they're kind of ungainly, and I want to set up a 2-55g tank rack for my two turtles. I feel like canister filters are my best bet, but I obviously need to get something cheap but effective, because I'll either need two big ones, or 4 smaller ones. I've been looking at SunSun brand canisters, but I almost don't trust the quality at these low prices, and I'm having a hard time finding ding the tank size ratings for the different models.

Which brings me to my next point: should I get two 55g canisters for each tank, or one 100+g canister for each. I feel like two 55g ones would be better overall filtration.

Or should I just make my own? That'd be my first idea if I didn't work 2 jobs and feel like I'd get busy and leave the task unfinished and waste money/time.
>>
>>2416169
Rimless tanks are specifically made strong enough to withstand the weight of the water the tank is holding. They use thicker glass and special silicone. The reason derimmed tanks are dangerous is simply because they weren't designed to be used that way.
>>
>>2416445

You could make one big canister filter for both! Double filtration on a 55 gallon would be about 440 gallons per hour, per tank, though. Have you considered a refugium?
>>
>>2416484
That makes sense, thank you anon
>>
>>2416445
Running two filters is also insurance against a failure of the other.
>>
New thread

>>2416954

>>2416954

>>2416954
>>
File: g.jpg (2MB, 2268x4032px) Image search: [Google]
g.jpg
2MB, 2268x4032px
Frog help! African dwarf frogs like all frogs lay eggs, so why is mine bloated so much, regardless of mating it appears like dropsy? Maybe not and its something to do with mating??
Thread posts: 334
Thread images: 48

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.