[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pigeons

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

File: 140709pigeonloft.jpg (3MB, 3030x2317px) Image search: [Google]
140709pigeonloft.jpg
3MB, 3030x2317px
Why are pigeons so successful in urban areas?
What gives them the upper hand over say, magpies, which are smarter and quicker?
>>
Their willingness to eat garbage.
>>
>>2411978
So do magpies.
>>
File: 1319066361658.jpg (364KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
1319066361658.jpg
364KB, 960x720px
>>2411977
they breed like niggers
>>
>magpies are smarter

Citation needed. Pigeons are highly intelligent and clearly they've got the upper hand for street smarts that magpies don't. Intelligence is subjective as hell.
>>
>>2411977

Have you ever seen a magpie tuck into some semi dried spew, fag ends or half eaten chips? Or a colony of magpies roosting in some never cleaned attic or on I-beams on the underside of a rail bridge?

Pigeons are ubiquitous because they'll hoover up any old shit and aren't picky about roosting sites beyond inaccessibility to predators. All magpies I've seen live in or around parks, which suggests that they stick to nesting in trees.

Only gulls are as common and as dirty as pigeons where I live (Plymouth), but they're aggressive cunts on top of it.
>>
>>2411977
They're domesticated and so are used to being around humans.
The buildings resemble the rocky cliffs that are their natural habitat.
They breed like crazy.
>>
>>2412334
I think domestication means a 0 flight radius from humans, most pigeons won't let a person go up and touch them. Socially co-evolved, maybe.
>>
>>2412340
>most pigeons won't let a person go up and touch them.
Are you fucking serious?
>>
>>2412340
Pretty much all city pigeons are feral mixes descended just a few generations from domestic pigeons. It's why you can see so much variation in the colors of city flocks, rather than completely uniform birds.
>>
>>2412031
some pigeons are roosting in my garden even though there are multiple cats that can reach them... including mine. I'm going to be so happy when I'm brought a little present by my mog of a dead squab.
>>
Anyone have birb catching tips? There are some in my front lawn that might get hurt by traffic
>>
>>2411977
They literally eat shit and have abysmal cleanliness standards.
They are content to have their feet infected and rotted away from all the filth they live in.
Other birds will look for better food and better places to nest and rest.
>>
>>2411977
Niggers of the sky
>>
>>2412340
Think about domesticated feral cats. Do they let people near them?
>>
>>2412340
>domestication means a 0 flight radius from humans

Not necessarily. Farm ducks and geese could still fly from their farms, it's just that farmers clip their wings, but if they didn't, the birds would still escape from farms and/or humans. I have a duck and before we clipped her wings she would fly from my backyard to the street.
>>
>>2412025
>Drive down a country road every day to and from work
>Often birds will also be on the road
>Magpies and other corvids see my car and move out of the way with ample time
>Pigeons just sit there staring gormlessly at my approaching car
>Only move to get out of the way when I'm right close to them
>'Get out of the way' to them is 'fly directly into the path of my oncoming car'

Pigeons are dumb as fuck anon.
>>
>>2412363
a well fed cat generally speaking is not likely to hunt a pigeon
especially not a healthy one
>>
>>2412491
Their feet actualy rots because human hair(!!) gets tangled on their toes, cuts off the blood flow and mangles their toes. They are unable to remove it.
>>
>>2414292
guess they didn't peck so good
>>
>>2414292
False
>>
>>2411977
Wat the fukkk
>>
>>2411977

Numbers aside, they aren't really surviving. The pigeons you see in cities are feral descendants of birds that have been domesticated for years; we bred them to mate constantly.

Pigeons need a seed diet to thrive, and obviously thry can't find that often in cities, so they eat shit that their bodies can't procces and that's why their poop is usually white and corrosive (it's just uric acid). The typical feral pigeon is starving and sick.
>>
>>2411977
Idk
>>
>>2411977
magpies ARE smarter, so of course they're not going to live in the fucking ghetto if they can help it. Pigeons are there in the smog farms because they don't know any better than to live like homeless humans. Magpies on the other hand will try to figure out how to have a good life.
https://youtu.be/qoaEBb4IN4Q
>>
>>2412010
wtf is the story on this pic?
>>
>>2414734
They can survive well enough on garbage though. If they couldn't, you wouldn't have pigeons breeding in cities.
>>
>>2411977
Magpies worship Khorne, and only care about bloodbath
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.