[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ideal Macronutrient Ratio for Dogs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

What % of their calories should come from carbs?
What % of their calories should come from protein?
What % of their calories should come from fat?

Specifically: I have a puppy that will grow to be a large, active dog and am trying to figure out what her adult needs will be.

I've read they can have up to 50% carbs, that ideal protein is around 25%, and fat makes up the rest.

I find this very suspicious, as if there are lobbyists or some shit trying to make high-carb diets for dogs seem appropriate so they can churn out cheap shit and then hike the price up. You can't do that on high-protein food because it's already expensive to make and the general public is only willing/able to spend so much on dog food.

I don't exactly trust vets either, because they have a vested financial interested in unhealthy dogs. Even if they, as individuals, mean well, how can I trust their education wasn't devised to teach them what's best for keeping the industry afloat?
>>
>>2408813
How big are they going to get?
I've forgot the ratio for giant breed pups, but there are some things you want to limit so they don't grow faster than their body can keep up with.

Also is it a breed that commonly has problems with high protein?
>>
Too much protein causes kidney problems OP, especially if you start them on a high protein-carb-fat ration early.

Look into diets made specifically for large breed puppies. They don't stop growing as late as two years old. It takes a long time! Let it happen naturally. Don't be too worried about her adult macros yet.

Also
>hurr durr vets want your animals to be sick because it keeps the industry afloat

Hope you also make your puppy a tiny tinfoil hat so you can match, it'll be cute.
>>
>>2408880
I have a German Shepherd. Both her parents are pretty big, so I'm expecting her to grow to 70 lbs. or so.

Right now, I feed her Blue Buffalo Wilderness puppy food for large breeds. I think it's 35% protein, 15% fat, 50% carbohydrates. Honestly, I'd even accept recommendations for puppy food. She does well on it, but I know there's got to be something better for her.

To my knowledge, GSDs have no issues with high protein. When she's older, we'll spend a lot of time hiking, tracking, and jogging. Maybe running alongside my bike, if I can get her to do it without endangering us both. She also has a nice, large fenced yard to run in while I'm away.
>>
>>2408899
There is something better. Blue buffalo looks good on the outside but it's just plain not very good. Look at acana, wellness, merrick, etc. can't believe you haven't seen anyone recommend dogfoodadvisor. Go there and peruse their 5-star foods, see who has either a "large breed puppy" or "low calcium" version.
>>
>>2408813
Why not just grab a 50lb bag of ol' dog food, and give them a food bowl full of it.

That what I feed my dogs and their going on 14 years now. No fancy frou frou food.

Leave calorie counting to /fit/

It's a dog. If it gets fat take it for a walk and slightly cut back food.
>>
>>2409271
And im not talking their special blend of calcium or just for puppy...im talking ol' Roy 50lb cheapo red bag. With brown and tan chunks.
>>
>>2408813
>Ideal Macronutrient Ratio for Dogs
10% mice
25% deer/cat shit
50% rabbit
5% blades of grass (ejected later)
10% love
>>
>>2409289
And don't forget

5% random dead thing which he rolled on, then ate.
10% vomit which he then ate again
>>
>>2408892
Laughed so hard a tiny bit of snot came out my nose head chef thought it was hilarious and laughed along.
>>
THERE'S STILL A CHANCE YOUR DOG WILL GET CANCER

YOU CAN'T STOP THAT ROLL OF THE DICE
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.