[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cat with anxiety, maybe previously abused

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: 20170315_194131.jpg (2MB, 2193x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170315_194131.jpg
2MB, 2193x2988px
Has anyone here ever adopted a cat that had been previously abused? Ive had Yoda for about two years now but he is still very skiddish around me. He hates being picked up and when people are too close to him. Compared to others, he loves me, but even the slightest movememt will have him darting to another room. He even got outside once amd I couldnt get withing 20 yards of him. Does anyone have any tips on how to help him get over his fears? Or will he stay like this for the rest of his life? Hes around 9 y.o. now fyi
>>
Cats take a long time to adjust.

I've had my cat for 6 years since it was a wee little kitten. first two years it wouldn't so much as walk over my leg. He would jump over me to get to the foot of my bed to sleep. The next two years he started to get more comfortable with it. Pressing his paw on my leg or belly making sure the footing was right before quickly walking over me. Now at 6 years in the last 4 or 5 months he will walk on me and once in a blue moon lay down on me.

With cats, trust just takes a really long time to build. Short of playing with the cat everyday, and feeding it next to you there isn't much else you can do. A cat like that can destroy years of built up trust instantly just by you accidentally stepping on it's tail.
>>
People always jump to the conclusion of abuse, but in reality plenty of cats are like this because they were simply undersocialized as kittens. Probably spent a significant portion of their most impressionable years as ferals.
>>
>>2408262
Er, not years - weeks.
>>
>>2408262
More like their 70 IQ previous owners think cats can be trained in the same manner as dogs and stuck it's nose into the carpet where it pee'd then slapped it like a dumb cunt.
>>
>>2408268
doing that to dogs also teaches them nothing whatsoever except to fear you.
>>
>>2408270
fear or not it works with dogs. It doesn't with cats.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.