[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Dog General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 327
Thread images: 105

How well do rough collies fare in hotter climates? Is it a no go, or can they actually do okay? There's a high chance I'm going to be living in southern California for my work.

Also, dog general. Post dogs.
>>
Collies are hardy my family used to live in 40C 7/12 months per year place (looks like its 104F) and they just tell so much about their childhood rough hair collie dog, how clever but calm it was, no early death or something like that either.
>>
>>2402689
I just found some corgi shiba mixes near my home and might be buying one. What will the temperament be like with her? I've only found like two pics online, anyone know what she'll look like when she gets older?
>>
File: BandanaDogsAreCutestDogs.png (2MB, 1199x738px) Image search: [Google]
BandanaDogsAreCutestDogs.png
2MB, 1199x738px
>How well do collies blah blah hot blah
Don't know
>Post dogs
Okay! Back up. Coyote bandito coming through.
>>
File: NO.jpg (102KB, 600x2219px) Image search: [Google]
NO.jpg
102KB, 600x2219px
>>2403274
sounds like they are ripping off people anon
two ultra popular meme dogs together, no way they have health papers on the parents, not even talking about pedigrees here...
>>
How do I discipline my dog before I go in the deep end with shock collars.

I've tried positive reinforcement with treats and food but he's damn stubborn. The vet says he's a basenji mix.

I want him to play around in the yard but my sister's cat is an outdoor cat and they don't get along very well.
>>
>>2403274
>corgi shiba mix
Pure, unadulterated, concentrated memes.
>>
>>2405033
>shock collar
fuck off. Your dog obviously has a high prey drive, just don't bring the cat around him, he is a dog after all.
>>
>>2405033
>outdoor cat

If your sister wants to be a retard her cat deserves to succumb to the rules of nature
>>
File: 1479659428950394241.gif (2MB, 355x275px) Image search: [Google]
1479659428950394241.gif
2MB, 355x275px
>>
why do dog owners let their dogs lick their faces when dogs eat their own shit and other animals' shit daily?
>>
File: 20170612_184601.jpg (493KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
20170612_184601.jpg
493KB, 1600x1200px
My old dogger enjoying her first BBQ of the year.
>>
>>2405702

Same reason cat owners let their cats walk all over tables, kitchen counters, desks, and beds after walking in their own piss and shit, I suppose.

The answer is that we love our pets enough to ignore the unpleasant parts. Also, I can guarantee that your phone has more feces particles than your dog's mouth/cat's feet.
>>
File: why.jpg (52KB, 638x851px) Image search: [Google]
why.jpg
52KB, 638x851px
>>
>>2405702
mine does neither of these things
why do you associate with subhumans who can't train and care for their animals?
>>
>>2405784
damn thats a qt pup, what breed(s) is she
>>
File: jack.jpg (2MB, 1200x1705px) Image search: [Google]
jack.jpg
2MB, 1200x1705px
Any guesses what this JRT is mixed with?
>>
>>2407019
Also, think she's ~8 weeks old.
>>
Puppy is ~9 weeks old and still biting. Been training with a clicker that "bumping/licking hands and fingers with your nose = good" but when he gets playful he still bites hard-hell, he gets frenzied sometimes and the only solution is to put him in the kennel and walk away for ~15 minutes or so.

Advice?
>>
>>2405963
She's mostly Belgian Malinois as far as we know from the rescue agency
>>
>>2403274
If you're lucky the temperment will be friendly and playful.
If you're unlucky you may find them to be food aggressive, prone to biting / nipping, and an excess of energy / destructive behaviour.

It's a cross that has the potential to go very right but also very very wrong.

also this: >>2403282
Do some research on the "breeders", find out who they are.
>>
>>2407135
Dude, it's 9 weeks old. It's one week older than the minimum age to take it away from mom. You can't expect it to drop all of its baby behavior. It's a baby. Of cours it would "still" nip.

Yelp and turn away and ignore. This is what it's siblings would do.
>>
File: med_blue_pit_bull.jpg (19KB, 425x282px) Image search: [Google]
med_blue_pit_bull.jpg
19KB, 425x282px
I'm a shitty owner,I started going to long walk 6 months ago and my dog is just so jumpy and scared of everything.I could be sitting on a bench in the park and she sees a squirrel, stand really still and if the squirrel gets too close she's charge at it failing backwards from the harness holding her back.One time last week some owner in a small park didn't have his dog on a lease and came towards us in are path as we were going to throw away some dogshit ,she laid down then sprang up to charge forward when he got too close,they smelled each other but she's rough trying to nip him on his neck to piss off or something and the other owner being slow af to get his dog didn't help. Afew days ago we were walking by the same park and she sees another dog as big as her,the other dog sees her and starts barking like mad while she just bonces up and down on her front legs .She also hate small dog breeds( probably from my old neighbor and his annoying yorkies) and the last time see met one she tried to dominate him by niping but didn't hurt him or anything,the small dog just laid on his back afterwards.

I'm calm in these situations but she just doesn't get when it's time to relax and probably doesn't know how talk to other dogs without trying to dominate them.She's pretty calm when nothing is around and were moving till she sees something like a car drive by or another dog across the street(except my neighbor dog she sees all the time playing,he's cool). How do I train her to relax?
>>
File: WP_20170616_11_38_18_Pro.jpg (1MB, 2592x1456px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20170616_11_38_18_Pro.jpg
1MB, 2592x1456px
Due to "events", parents looking after a dog for a month
They previously looked after a different dog which was a loud barking arsehole but this ones lovely

Except in /an/ eyes where it's a vicious monster of course
>>
File: Ra.png (2MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Ra.png
2MB, 1440x2560px
Muh dog
>>
>>2408627

if you look real close you can see the disappointment it has for it's owner in it's eyes
>>
>>2405702
>eat their own shit

This is a neckbeard cat owner myth. My dog won't even pick up a tennis ball he's dropped if it's within three feet of his own shit. He refuses to go near it.
>>
>>2408628
Hooray, summer's here.
>>
>>2408631

Not a denial that you're a terrible owner
>>
>>2408632
You are barely worth the insult, let alone the discussion.
>>
>>2408635

im looking at your posts with the same level of disdain your dog looks at you with
i even pined a bit
>>
>>2408646
>even pined a bit
Oh look a troll with a vocabulary
Must be in summer school, taking your frustrations out on other people like that.
Post your dog faggot.
>>
>>2408647

>>2408625

that gorgeous lil thing
>>
>>2408648
Probably dreaming of the sweet release of death, because of its association with you.
>>
>>2408651

legs twitched a bit
i imagine dreaming of running away from me wielding a hammer

im wielding the hammer by the way, not the dog
>>
>>2402689

Honestly, not wonderfully.

I'm in the UK, and my pair (sheltie and a rough collie) HATE the summer. They pretty much hide inside all day, and we have to go for walks at pretty much dusk/dark.

However, luckily for me I'm in the UK, so high temperatures (around 25-30 degrees) happen once in a blue moon. I wouldn't want them to live somewhere hot however.
>>
File: Ourlordandsaviour.jpg (48KB, 403x540px) Image search: [Google]
Ourlordandsaviour.jpg
48KB, 403x540px
>>2408656

And Pixel, because the thread needs more shelties.
>>
>>2408653
>not wielding the dog as a hammer
>>
>>2405033
>Outdoor cat
Get it spayed or neutered and keep it inside like a reasonable person.
>>
>>2405702
Dogs usually only eat their own shit if they're not getting enough nutrients from their food. If your dog is regularly eating shit, you're probably a bad dog owner and should stop feeding him $10/50lb bags of dog food. That said, my dog is not allowed to lick my face because he easily gets carried away with it and won't stop.
>>
File: granny mutilator.png (1018KB, 719x713px) Image search: [Google]
granny mutilator.png
1018KB, 719x713px
>>2408625
Cute monster, would snuggle/10
>>
>>2405051
>high prey drive
Is this memes or are you just this retarded?
>>
>>2408689

Right back at your pupper
>>
>>
>>2408733
I feel kind of bad for her. Specialized dog breeding was a mistake.
>>
>>2408739
That dog has a medical condition where its born with abnormally large/extra muscles.
It happens in other animals as well.
>>
File: 1497624025729985292913.jpg (2MB, 1944x2592px) Image search: [Google]
1497624025729985292913.jpg
2MB, 1944x2592px
Black doggo
>>
File: 1357099892205.jpg (1MB, 1936x2592px) Image search: [Google]
1357099892205.jpg
1MB, 1936x2592px
Adopted an older, "independent" dog at xmas, all is great but it turns out he's got terrible separation anxiety. I've tried a whole bunch of shit, including crate training, chew toys, interval training etc etc but nothing seems to help. Is adopting another dog a bad idea or could it help him calm down when I'm out?
>>
File: 1347227883484.jpg (115KB, 990x742px) Image search: [Google]
1347227883484.jpg
115KB, 990x742px
>>
>>2408743
Yeah, but some people apparently breed bully whippets intentionally.
>>
File: 1363817216325.jpg (80KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
1363817216325.jpg
80KB, 500x667px
>>
File: 1363817256479.jpg (178KB, 600x488px) Image search: [Google]
1363817256479.jpg
178KB, 600x488px
>>
>tfw sometimes want to just have a lazy day and sit in bed watching tv and playing games
>cant because my dog has more energy than a nuclear reactor

at what age do labradors start to just calm the fuck down
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
Is she a good girl, /an/?
>>
>>2410537
Never, my man. They won't even clear the puppy-tier energy level until they're 3+.

Even then, just get off your ass and walk your dog or play tug-of-war for ten minutes or so, the good thing about Labs is that it's easy as hell as to stimulate them.
>>
>>2410602
>ten minutes or so

mate i wish. took him out for a three hour hike yesterday, when we got home he had a quick drink and something to eat then came running through to me with a rope to play.
hes like fucking krypto the superdog
>>
>>2410579
>that zooming pupper
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
>>2410677
Zooming pupper got worn out from running at incredibly hihg speed
>>
File: textfree_6569464826064371001.png (422KB, 384x512px) Image search: [Google]
textfree_6569464826064371001.png
422KB, 384x512px
Can someone tell me if they can guess what he's mixed with?

He came to us as a Schnauzer mix. He chased after a ball at the dog park but is pretty nervous doing stuff like that at our house / yard.
>>
I've been thinking about getting another dog.
I've got a border collie, had her for almost two years now since she was 8 weeks old.

I want to get her a buddy, but she doesn't really like other dogs from my experience. If a big dog is interested in her, she's completely disinterested, tries to avoid them. She loves their owners though, loves people in general, especially kids.
She tends to be at least a little interested in smaller dogs though, so getting a young pup as planned might help with that.
Her only real dog friend was a midget jack russel mix that was three times smaller than her in a puppy socialization class.
>>
File: Piggy.jpg (573KB, 1548x871px) Image search: [Google]
Piggy.jpg
573KB, 1548x871px
Why does my dog lay in the sun all day?
>>
File: 4983896.jpg (51KB, 400x323px) Image search: [Google]
4983896.jpg
51KB, 400x323px
Today I've bitterly come to the realization that I fucking hate dogs that aren't huskies. I've owned a papillon, husky, and husky/wolf mix all from puppy age and I'm great with dogs; always thought I loved them all. Being an idiot I thought watching somebody elses russell terrier for 2 weeks would be fun. The dog is really quiet, sweet, well mannered, and I fucking hate it.

>Too small to comfortably walk or play with
>Bristly hair that feels like petting a straw mat yet sheds a lot
>Constantly grooming itself on my carpets stinking them up
>Constantly walking in my fucking way
>Looks like a bitch
>Is barely even a dog

Is the husky just the pinnacle of dog? Have I been spoiled?
>>
How to get other dogs to stop humping my neutered male dog? Almost every time we go to the dog park, another dog tries to mount my dog. My dog tries to initiate play instead and runs off when the dog starts to hump, but he often gets chased until he's knocked off his feet and mounted. The same dog will follow him around the whole time and make his time at the park very stressful as he gets knocked off his feet over and over. Is the only solution to kick the fuckers or never return to the park?
>>
>>2412257

Just let your eunuch dog get fucked in the ass like the omega you have medically ordained him to be.
>>
>>2412284

He was neutered by the rescue organization that I got him from, but okay, if that's what gets you there, I suppose.
>>
File: 20170619_194331.jpg (1MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20170619_194331.jpg
1MB, 4128x2322px
How long does it take to potty train a pupper?
What do I do when my pupper just falls asleep when I take him outside for a pee/shit? Wait out there for however long it takes?
If I don't catch my pupper in the act but find mess, do I do anything or just let it go and focus on getting him out next time?
>>
>>2407135
When he bites too hard, stop all play and interaction immediately and ignore him. Turn away, become still and "boring" until he calms down. Doesn't take long, a few seconds each time. Rinse and repeat. If the dog doesn't seem to respond to this you might need to remove your presence entirely i.e. leave the room. Same deal.

Be patient, he is still really young. Puppies are nippy by nature. You just have to be consistent in teaching him that if he bites too hard the fun stops.
>>
>>2407992
Look into counter-conditioning for reactive dogs. There's a lot of information out there on this topic, a search will lead you to lots of helpful advice/training protocols.

Once you've gotten her to be calm when she sees other dogs and such, then you can start socializing her with known dogs with stable temperaments. But work on counter-conditioning first. Set her up for success.
>>
>>2408863
I would continue the training/conditioning you're doing. If you're not already doing this, do exercises where you leave the house/room (dunno how bad he is) for a few seconds, return and treat for calmness, repeat, gradually increasing the time you're gone. Rewarding calm behavior + him learning that you will always return should help over time. Do this, plus leave him with special chews or treats when you're gone to keep him occupied (stuffed frozen kong, bully sticks, etc.) It may take some time but he should improve, at least somewhat. Some dogs are just naturally more anxious/nervous.

That said, adopting another dog to keep him company while you're gone CAN help. In some cases. It's really a crap shoot. The other dog could help keep him company and keep him calm. OR the new dog could feed off his nervous freakouts and also develop separation anxiety because of it. So if you go this route, you need to be really careful to make sure the new dog doesn't develop separation anxiety too.

Good luck!
>>
>>2410579
Yes.
>>
>>2410537
Look into conditioned calmness exercises. Some high-energy, high-drive dogs naturally have a better "off switch" for downtime, but even dogs who lack that can be trained to chill, at least to some extent, when needed.
>>
>>2410709
Oh my, what a cute face! Name?

>>2410832
Maybe she is just disinterested in dogs she doesn't know very well? My dog has no interest in playing with new dogs she meets--she will politely greet them, then ignore and go about her business. But she loves playing with the dogs she lives with/knows well--once she gets to know a dog, she is happy to buddy up and play with them.

>>2412361
>how long does it take
It varies, some pick it up faster than others. Keep in mind that a young puppy just physically can't hold it for very long--a good general rule is 1 hour per month of age (topping out at 10 hours max, but this will be less for smaller dogs.)

If your puppy is falling asleep when you take him out, just bring him back inside, let him sleep, and try again when he wakes up.

If you find a mess but didn't catch him in the act, don't do anything, don't scold him. Just clean it up, accept that accidents happen, and try to do better next time.

Accept that if your puppy has an accident in the house, it's ALWAYS your fault--i.e. you did not take them out in time. Don't ever blame the puppy for that. Figure out his habits/patterns, his tells for when he needs to go, implement crate training for when you can't supervise him, and try to take him out on a schedule--dogs take very well to routine. Be patient and consistent and eventually he'll get it! :)
>>
File: IMG_3693.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3693.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
New puppy (very new--she came home this past Saturday) cries in both her long term confinement and short term confinement area. Is it best to ignore her? She cries and barks fairly loud. Pic related, it's her.
>>
>>2412937
That puppy can't be older than 6 weeks, you retard. Enjoy your neurotic mess that will end up in the pound.
>>
>>2412939
We go to the vet Friday so we can find out then but you know, fuck you too, buddy.
>>
>>2412939
>>2412944

>purchase byb pit/husky mix
>puppy ends up being 5 weeks
>have to give her puppy formula
>fortunately she learned doggy etiquette from my other 3 dogs
>An tells me she is going to be a neurotic mess
>do not believe
>mfw she turns out to be anti-social in spite of extensive socialization
>mfw she gets triggered by twizzlers and tries to snap them out of peoples faces

I own too much land to take her to the pound but she has definitely become a stay-at-home pooch. Although /an/ typically are cunts about everything they're definitely right about puppies being taken too young from their mothers. If you can take her back, do so before you get attached.
>>
For people that have hot summers, do you guys carry water for your puppers?

I'm thinking about dragging something around, at least for his jog. How do you determine if they need a few to cool down?
>>
>>2413000
yes. they make pic related which is nice because it's more difficult to waste water, but my dog has learned to drink from a bottle nicely, so I just bring a regular bottle.

as for signs of overheating: rapid panting, foaming at the mouth, excessive drooling come first. then dizziness, lethargy, vomiting.

cool them off more quickly with lukewarm (not ice cold, as this causes their blood vessels to constrict from the drastic temp change) water on their paw pads first. then soak 'em with the water and fan them a bit.

if you're this concerned about overheating, you gotta take your dog in the very early morning or late evening when it's cooler. even 70F can be too hot for a dog, especially if they're just starting out jogging with you.
>>
File: 1459795583200.gif (2MB, 380x285px) Image search: [Google]
1459795583200.gif
2MB, 380x285px
>>2412946
Shelter said she was 10 weeks. She's the first pup we've adopted from the shelter, as a kid we only had pure breds.
>do so before you get attached.
A little too late. I'll definitely consult with the vet.

For the record, she settled down nice and quietly in her pen today for the first time.
>>
My old dog keeps hurting her leg. Is there a doggy brace or something that would help? I have to escort her in and out of the car as well as up and down the porch so she doesn't launch herself out. She doesn't go on the furniture and hardly goes up the stairs but she still managed to sprain her front or back leg almost once a month that now. Sometimes she just limps, some days she won't get up for three days and I can't keep taking her to the vet every goddamn time. She's never broken or fractured anything and her hips are good. Even just jumping up and doing her little excited dance can put her out of commission and while I can get her to stop that, just doing it for a few seconds and turning the wrong way can make her hurt herself.

Aside from those times she is pretty active and happy. She's not crazy energetic and I've been taking her for shorter but more walks instead of long ones but I'm not sure if that helps. She's only 20lbs or so.
>>
This is my doggo. She was purchased for the memes by some high schooler and lived with a pack of pits. High schooler wanted to move into an apartment and couldn't afford to keep her on that mcdo minimum wage. She had never had a toy before and wouldn't play with em
now she keeps her toys all over our living room. I'll pick them up and she'll take them out of her toybox one by one and set them exactly where she wants them and then play.
>>
>>2413992
How long did it take for her to start playing? How did you get her to do it?

My pup has been kinda sorta going after balls because he likes chasing after his food
>>
File: IMG-20170617-WA0023.jpg (156KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20170617-WA0023.jpg
156KB, 960x1280px
Not mine, actually a friend's.
Name is Mila.
>>
>>2414007

I tried a lot of toys. She hated squeakers (too loud?) and plastic toys. I did get a kong and put things she loved in it like peanut butter. I really just let her show me what she liked and paid attention. The only toy she'd pay attention to was a rope with a plastic nubby bone in the middle. She liked nubby bones so I got her a nubby nylabone, and a nubby looking squeaker. Then she'd go after balls, so I got her balls but also some rounded stuffed toys. Then I realized she likes to throw them, so her favorite toys are things that roll or fly but have a 'handle'. Like this one. She loves picking this up and shaking her head then letting it fly.
>>
>>2405033
Get a choke chain. My sister got one for her batshit crazy viszla mix. It doesn't hurt the dog unless you're trying to be an asshole but it gives you more control over them on a leash.
>>
>>2405702
I've had dogs eat their own vomit but never their own shit. They eat some crazy things though. Growing up I had a sheepdog who would steal apples and bread off the table and would swallow large chunks of snow whole when it snowed. If she got bored while we were away she'd knock over the trash can and track coffee grounds and fruit peels all around the house.
>>
>>2412385
Thank you anon!
>>
should I crate train an adopted adult dog? he's already potty trained so he doesn't have problems in the house when I leave him home alone. The only thing I could think of for training him is so I can transport him in the car more safely
>>
is Boxer a good guard dog breed for a beginner with kids?
>>
I have 2 dogs, one is active and runs around the backyard, the other is a lazy bitch and sleeps all day then only comes out for food

Why is my bitch lazy?
>>
File: 0407171539a_HDR-1.jpg (637KB, 1921x2603px) Image search: [Google]
0407171539a_HDR-1.jpg
637KB, 1921x2603px
>>2405702
>friend brings over Macdolans fries
>while eating fries dog is begging on his hind legs for one
>awfuckitwhynot.jpg
>give my dog decent sized fry while its still in my hand
>rip off the end and eat it while my dog eats his half
>friend looks at me in disgust
My dog licks me face, and i have yet to get sick so I think its okay.

Pic related is Bojangles trying to do a Reptile from Mortal Kombat cosplay with a piece of lettuce
>>
>>2415157
Yes, it can't hurt. Crate training is useful so your dog can be transported/contained without stressing him out, if needed (think car trips, plane trips, vet visits, etc.) Plus, giving your dog a place he can chill out and relax and feel safe is always nice. My dog regularly goes to her crate to nap or chew in peace.
>>
File: 20170621_201047.jpg (1MB, 1836x2850px) Image search: [Google]
20170621_201047.jpg
1MB, 1836x2850px
I taught Maple a new trick
>>
How can you tell the difference between a puppy being playful with other puppies or being aggressive?
>>
>>2415460
I'm going to be crank calling you until the day you die my man
>>
>>2415967
>the difference between a puppy being playful with other puppies or being aggressive?

Not respecting signs of submission from the other dog.

When that happens, you need to step in and do what its bitch should have taught it to do, and make it stop fucking with the other dog.
>>
File: dog.jpg (209KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
dog.jpg
209KB, 1600x1200px
Hey /an/, what kind of dog is this?
>>
>>2415476
Holy shit, did you teach that dog to install solar panels? G'damn!
>>
File: 1490793564975.jpg (200KB, 764x512px) Image search: [Google]
1490793564975.jpg
200KB, 764x512px
>when your pupper is having some bad skin issues

There's a bald patch near his tail and he's been scratching like crazy. He has an appointment for the 1st. He's not as active as he was. It's just depressing to watch. I want him back
>>
>>2415997
Heh, those are my brother's...he has a strange obsession with solar panels. I think it's pretty neat tho
>>
What is the best race?
Hard mode: not deformed by breeding.
>>
File: Sbdgo.jpg (2MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
Sbdgo.jpg
2MB, 2560x1440px
>>2402689
>post dogs
>>
>>2416220
Mutt
>>
>>2415996
Cutie mcpupper
>>
>>2413734
consult vet, not Afghanian dope smuggling forum
>>
>>2414051
Would def boop nose/10
what breed?
>>
File: 20170608_171403.jpg (604KB, 846x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20170608_171403.jpg
604KB, 846x1080px
Hows my 3 month old doggo?
>>
>>2415996
bear
>>
>>2405702
I brush my dog's teeth
>>
>>2417659
>Mfw I'm a dental student and I don't even brush my dogs teeth
Is chewing sufficient? I periodically check for signs and symptoms tho.
>>
>>2418103
It wasn't great for my cat or my dumbass kid self. He ended up losing two fangs, and my teeth are all kinds of crooked and sensitive. I autistically brush my pupper's teeth.

I don't think his previous owners did at all.
>>
Ok guys i need some advice here on how to proceed.
Doggo data:
weight: 25 kg
height to the cross: 60 cm
Still pretty active

Dog apparently got hit by a car which caused a femoral head fracture. dog has no symptoms other than a limp and pain when the zone is palpated hard
According to the vet the way to go is to carry out an osteonomy of the femoral head but since it's already pretty old, im not sure if its worth risking him to suffer from the procedure and recovery which was explained to me could or could not work.

Any of you guys have any experience with something like this?
>>
>>2418121
If you're looking for advice on a Vietnamese knitting forum you're barking up the wrong tree, I suggest you discuss this at length with your family and vet and come to a conclusion, either way that doggo is lucky to be alive after getting hit by a car.
>>
>>2418103
>is chewing sufficient?

No. Is chewing sufficient for you? Either brush your dog's teeth every night or be prepared to pay for dental cleanings every year.
>>
File: 20170124_192927-1.jpg (767KB, 1677x2981px) Image search: [Google]
20170124_192927-1.jpg
767KB, 1677x2981px
>>
>>2418249
She's going to eat that plug one day. Move it, now.
>>
>>2418259
Picture's a little old, don't even have the coffee maker that belongs to anymore.
>>
seriously though, why are dog owners so gross?

i work in animal care and there's so many dog owners who love talking about how gross their dog is like how it eats its own shit, eats cat shit, eats vomit, eats rotting dead animals, and laugh about it. and they let the thing lick them. fucking vomit-worthy
>>
>>2412250
I fucking hate dogs that aren't a select few breeds too. Dog owners of shit breeds make the hatred intensify.
>>
>>2415999
it's called fleas
>>
>>2418308
I comb his fur regularly and haven't found any fleas or flea dirt.

Nothing around the house or in the vacuum and mop rag.
>>
File: smug hyde.jpg (50KB, 815x793px) Image search: [Google]
smug hyde.jpg
50KB, 815x793px
>retarded dog growls at me for being near his food
>cuck him by taking his food away and making him wait for it
Who else here enjoys cucking their dogs?
>>
>>2418339
Maybe if you weren't such a shit owner it wouldn't growl at you for that. I can stick my hand into my dogs mouth and take out food it's currently eating and it won't do anything.
>>
>>2418259
The dog in the picture is not a puppy...a well-adjusted adult dog shouldn't be at risk of chewing plugs.
>>
>>2418301
I will laugh about gross things my dogs do because I can either be irritated about it or just accept that dogs are dogs and sometimes they do gross things. No reason to get angry with them about it.

That said, I definitely don't let them lick me.
>>
File: image.jpg (199KB, 854x1280px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
199KB, 854x1280px
>>2416220
>>2416220
Breeding dogs for work weeds out deformities real fast. Get a pup from parents that are working hunting, police, herding, search and rescue or guide dogs. They'll need a lot of exercise.

German Shorthaired Pointers from hunting lines are great all around dogs. They're generally good with kids and other dogs.
>>
File: IMG_20160822_105807605.jpg (3MB, 3006x5344px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160822_105807605.jpg
3MB, 3006x5344px
Woo dog thread
This is my dog, he is quiet, never whines, scratches to go out and only barks up to 3 times if he sees someone he doesn't know. If you tell him to shop he listens and is the chillest Chihuahua ever

Until I got him I thought Chihuahuas we're anklebiting retard dogs.

This is my favorite dog and I've had some smart dogs before. If i'm reading a book, he'll come lay on my lap and curl up, or if I have a blanket for him he rolls himself up and sleeps next to me.

Hands down the best dog ever.
>>
>>2418339
Wouldn't you say something if a waiter was trying to take your food away before you were done eating?

Get something better than his food like pieces of hotdogs or chicken.
Start tossing them by his dish while he's eating.
Then progress to walking up and dropping them in.
Then stick you hand in and leave the treat in.
Then pick up the bowl, put treat in and give it back.
Then your dog will think you're a fair person and there is a logical benefit to letting you take his food away. Or you could sadistically cuck him.
>>
>>2418424
your dog probably stinks and tries to bite your penis.
>>
>>2405033
>outdoor cat
It'll be roadkill sooner or later. Maybe your untrainable primitive hunting dog fulfills his ancestral duty before the car does, who cares? It's your sister's fault either way for letting her animal run wild.
>>
File: cannibal shibe.jpg (31KB, 552x504px) Image search: [Google]
cannibal shibe.jpg
31KB, 552x504px
>>2408865
VICIOUS
>>
>>2402689
Currently own a border/collie lab mix. She's good with other dogs. Thinking about getting a smaller dog, the shelters here are full of chihuahua mixes. How to make sure they will get along?
>>
>>2410579
yes
all-black dogs are top tier
>>2412250
>hating any good dog
some dogs are better than others but a big guy can appreciate good boys and girls of all specs
>>2412361
I've always taken the pup to their mess and given them a short and mild verbal scolding (unless they're a spiteful breed)
Just enough to convey that pissing and shitting on the floor is undesirable
>>2412937
>>2413644
ignore puppy pining, they get over it with time
caving in risks teaching them that being loud and annoying will get them what they want
>>2415996
a brown one
very good-looking dog
>>2416220
I only have owner bias with malamutes and shelties, and shelties edge out mals for being so ready to please vs strong independent mute who don't need no instruction
shelties are
>smart/extremely trainable
>loyal
>look great, very cute
>reserved
>soft and fluffy
>small dog with big dog personality
>not terribly unhealthy
>not obnoxiously high-energy but enthusiastic workers/with activity
>tfw mine is sitting in an urn and all the respectable breeders have fuckhuge waiting lists
>>
>>2418424
Sounds comfy anon

Does anyone use sunscreen on their doggos? I just bought some for my boy since we live in Texas and his fur is white
>>
What dog breeds are most comfortable in tropical (very hot and humid) climates?
>>
File: Sleepypup.jpg (64KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
Sleepypup.jpg
64KB, 960x720px
>>2418488

It'll be worth the wait anon.

Shelties are the best.
>>
File: IMG_20170616_170831672.jpg (2MB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170616_170831672.jpg
2MB, 1836x3264px
Bumping with picture of my dog.
>>
>>2410579
>updating video card drivers while browsing this thread
>click this image
>screen goes blank and a big black dog face starts flickering in and out

cute dog but S P O O K Y
>>
>>2408743
Wish i had that medical condition
>>
File: 20170629_115106.jpg (4MB, 4656x3492px) Image search: [Google]
20170629_115106.jpg
4MB, 4656x3492px
Dash just turned 14, he's still doing well. Tore his acl a few months ago but it seems to have healed nicely.

He doesn't have accidents or really show his age that much to be honest, he still gets excited and hops around and goes up and down the stairs. Hopefully if he does pass soon he does in his sleep, before he starts to really slow down to the point he can't all or something

[spoiler]there's nothing I wouldn't trade for him to be young again. I grew up with him, I don't want him to die. Accepting his mortality is nearly impossible for me. [/spoiler]
>>
File: rZOaHhx (1).png (56KB, 192x154px) Image search: [Google]
rZOaHhx (1).png
56KB, 192x154px
>>2418564
Hot dogs
>>
File: sleeping giant.webm (452KB, 750x422px) Image search: [Google]
sleeping giant.webm
452KB, 750x422px
>tfw you're typing too loudly and wake up your pitbull
>>
>>2419485
Beware the ides of March
>>
File: P2150709.jpg (3MB, 3072x2304px) Image search: [Google]
P2150709.jpg
3MB, 3072x2304px
Gonna be getting a dog in a couple months and I can't decide whether I want a GSD or a Husky. I will be getting them as a puppy so I can train them; they're also going to double as a casual service animal for myself.

I'll only be able to go for walks on some days, but there will be plenty room to run around since I just got a house with a decent yard. Not sure just how big the yard is but the plot itself is 9300sq/ft. Also because of my disability I'll be home most of the time so I won't be leaving them alone much.

I have experience with both breeds- though more with the GSD. I'm northeast US so it won't be too hot for a husker. Only thing is I heard that huskies aren't great with cats and I have one.

Pic unrelated. It's my friend's dog pretending to be a cat about a month after he took him in after finding him wandering the side of a Jersey highway.

>captcha: alamo conserve
Yes, captcha, I remember the alamo.
>>
>>2420559
As long as you can provide exercise in other ways, not being able to do daily walks should be ok. Fetch or flirt pole are two activities that can give your dog plenty of exercise without you having to exert yourself much, if you have physical limits.

Out of the two choices, I'd recommend going for the GSD. Not just because you have more experience with them, but also because they have a temperament better suited towards service work than huskies do.
>>
>>2420559

A husky is going to go stark raving mental without daily exercise of some form, even with mental stimulation.

I'd argue a GSD is similar. Have you thought about getting an older chill shelter dog? Where you won't have to worry so much if you can't exercise them daily.

A puppy is going to require A LOT of work and socialisation, and you're going to need to get out with them daily to socialise them properly. I really strongly would advise against a puppy. Plus...

> Gonna be getting a dog in a couple months
> Wants a puppy

Have you looked up reptutable breeders in your area that health test? Be prepared for more than likely a few years on a waiting list.

If you're desperate for a puppy, and geninunely can't take them out daily- then I'd strongly advise looking at some of the toy breeds, or perhaps a greyhound- but any dog is going to struggle with that sort of lifestyle.
>>
>>2420559
>I want a GSD or husky, two of the most high energy, high maintenance dogs
>I want it also to be a "casual" "service dog", meaning I want to take it into stores wherever I want without actually training it
>also I have a cat but guys I reeeally want this dog has a high prey drive, please validate my shitty idea

No
>>
File: IMG_1104.jpg (776KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1104.jpg
776KB, 3264x2448px
This is my mom's dog Riley. She's a rescue and is at least a year old now. Now there's three chihuahuas in my mom's house at any given moment. It's a loud visit.

Riley has a nervous bladder and pees pretty aggressively when petted. Probably the softest dog I have ever touched.
>>
>>2415476
Is that a JoJo reference?
>>
>>2420559
Get a Labrador.
>>
The oldest of the family dogs had to be put down yesterday morning. The two that are left are the deceased dog's daughter and an unrelated younger dog who has always had at least two adults around. They're often both hanging around the door and my parents being depressed isn't helping them act normal. Does anybody have experience with how long it takes for dogs to accept someone being gone as the new normal? I've only ever had one at a time before.
>>
>>2418314
He had a bacterial infection. They said it could have been from the stress of allergies or moving between owners

We gotta bath him three times a week with medicated shampoo and give him some pills.

He's also on benadryl now.
>>
>>2420796
I don't know what that is, so...no.

>>2420943
Unfortunately it really depends on the dog. Some will adjust faster than others. But you can help them adjust to their new normal faster by spending extra time with them, and keeping a routine--dogs thrive on routine because they know what to expect. If they know what to expect, they will have an easier time knowing that this is just how things are now. They miss their friend, but they will be ok.
>>
>>2415356
Maybe.

My understanding is that they're pretty protective of kids, but can get over excited and jump and scratch them.

There is a reason they're called boxers.
>>
If I were to schedule an appointment for a dog cropping surgery, how long do you think it'd take for them to do so?

I"m afraid I'll miss my window of being able to crop my Doberman puppy's ears. They say at 12 weeks it's the latest you should crop.
>>
>>2421598
fuck you

If you arent running your dogs against hogs are something you dont need to do it. Its just a gay fucking aesthetic for you. If you dog is going to be guarding your couch then dont bother
>>
>>2421598

Good luck finding a vet that will do it. But to answer your question, it'll take them an hour - with your pup staying at the surgery for the day.

Why on earth do you want to crop your pups ears?
>>
>>2412250
huskies are tiny dogs. I wouldnt consider any dog under 90lb to be a real dog. sorry.
>>
>>2420784
>shitty breed
>pisses all over the place when petted

confirmed for being shit and at one point abused. GG.
>>
I got a question about husky. Is it possible for me to over brush my husky. He's in the middle of blowing his coat and I've been brushing him everyday for a week and it's still coming out just as much.. He's turning white almost. His red color is now almost a light brown pic related, and I'm worried I'm damaging his hair because of how often I'm brushing him.
>>
I just brought home my new puppy today and she isn't doing much. Before when I was picking her up she was excited, running around. But now at my house she's just resting, barely moving. I tried to offer her her dinner since she hasn't eaten since 7AM but she just pushes it away.

Is something wrong? Is she sick?
>>
File: Japanese-spitz-cc.jpg (14KB, 392x355px) Image search: [Google]
Japanese-spitz-cc.jpg
14KB, 392x355px
Started thinking about getting a dog. I want a best friend who will get me off my ass and exercising and keep me company. Favourite breed so far is pic related (Japanese Spitz) but I don't have my heart set on it. Not planning on doing this for at least a couple of years if at all.

My situation:
>living with family
>live in very small town
>big fenced yard
>beach nearby
>bush trails nearby
>no children in household
>no prior dog experience

Am I being stupid or do I stand a chance of being able to give a dog a good home?

Also, I'm allergic to cats, does this mean I'm allergic to dogs as well? Or are they different? I highly doubt there's such a thing as a hypoallergenic animal of any kind so if I'm allergic I'll just have to accept not having a pet.

And breed suggestions welcome. Others I'm considering include poodle/xyz-oodle, cavalier king charles spaniel, maltese, bichon frise, australian terrier, shihtzu, papillon, havanese - pretty much anything small-medium that's fluffy and friendly.
>>
>>2421815
Get an adult dog from a shelter.
>>
>>2421695
No, you can't really "over brush" him--maybe if you were being really aggressive with it to the point of yanking out hair that's attached to him rather than just brushing out loose/trapped undercoat? But I seriously doubt that's what you're doing. Daily brushing is normal for a dog like a husky or shepherd blowing their coat--it's not excessive to brush him everyday.

That said, some dogs just look silly when they blow their coat for summer because they just lose so much hair. It'll go back to normal soon enough, don't worry.

>>2421772
Keep an eye on her, but if you just brought her home it's not weird that she'd be a little overwhelmed and tuckered out. She's just a puppy and her whole world was just turned upsidedown, so she might just be stressed, and needs some time to adjust. Keep in mind that puppies also sleep a lot to begin with--18 hours or so if she's young.

If you're worried, it can't help to call a vet or bring her in for a checkup. But I wouldn't be too concerned unless her lethargy persists.
>>
>>2421819
Been considering this as well, but would have to be careful - I kind of like having an intact face and almost everything up for adoption is a pit mix. I can see the advantages though, would save a lot of trouble not having to deal with a puppy and train it to not shit/piss everywhere.
>>
my dog is good and I want to bring that to everyones attention.

my family roasts her about her chink eyes though :(
>>
File: IMG_0866.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0866.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>2422038
Do not get a puppy as your first dog. Just don't. Shelters have all kinds of dogs. This is April. She is about 20 pounds and I found her at a shelter. There are also breed specific rescues that focus on particular breeds. Trust me, you can easily find a non pit mix at a shelter.
>>
File: Resized952017062395002009.jpg (242KB, 1152x2048px) Image search: [Google]
Resized952017062395002009.jpg
242KB, 1152x2048px
Posting doggo.
>>
How to deal with an anxious doggo?
>>
>>2422385
Cuddle it.
>>
File: tumblr_oels7noWLn1vz177qo1_1280.jpg (113KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_oels7noWLn1vz177qo1_1280.jpg
113KB, 1280x720px
Posting good dog
>>
>>2422111
Why? Is it just because of how much work a puppy is or is there more to it than that?

Might make it a habit to visit my local shelter every week once I'm actually ready and see what they get coming through.
>>
Have a Papillon, trying to teach him to stay chill when hearing the front door open in my apartment.

At the moment he barks like crazy when someone opens the door. What I've been doing is generally shhhing him and make him sit on my bed, giving him a treat if he stays silent. It's been occasionally working, but I'm worried if it fails later.

What do you guys do to teach your dog to chill?
>>
File: IMG_5562.jpg (1MB, 2266x2266px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5562.jpg
1MB, 2266x2266px
>>2422103
Chow or Chow mix? Super cute.

Here is my dog enjoying some dog friendly ice cream from a dog fest in the city. Can't remember what all was in it, though.
>>
>staying at aunt's place
>has a dachshund
>obsess as fuck
>bulging fat deposits in neck area
>lies around 24/7
>feed it big portions of human food
>apparently he's already pretty old
>don't care about making him healthier since he's so old, why put him through the stress

Can I do anything to save this dog? I was so sad to see what they did to him

He was/is so fucking handsome, great model of the breed.
>>
File: 20170702_1621532.png (3MB, 1500x1132px) Image search: [Google]
20170702_1621532.png
3MB, 1500x1132px
>>2422765
Full chow. Thank you for noticing senpai.
>>
>>2422520
Super cute. What breed? Border collie?
>>
File: pinup.jpg (153KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
pinup.jpg
153KB, 900x1200px
>>
File: 1483416542581.gif (3MB, 300x169px) Image search: [Google]
1483416542581.gif
3MB, 300x169px
>>2422805
>>
>>2422774
What's it like owning a chow? Are they as aloof, independent, and aggressive as the memes say?
>>
File: IMG_20170704_091702.jpg (3MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170704_091702.jpg
3MB, 3120x4160px
His name is Duke
>>
>>2422827
Basically yes.

I'd agree with anything that says Chow Chows aren't for first-time dog owners.
Aside from this Chow, I have 3 Jack Russell Terriers, so there's something wrong with me in the first place. I'm used to insubordinate but intelligent dogs.
Made me hypervigilant in not fucking up with this animal. Since they're known for being hard to train, I started training her from the moment I got her. She was eager to please at 2, 3 months old, but no longer responds at 10 months. Frustrating, but not unexpected.

She's not actively affectionate.
Does not seek me out for rubs and pets, but is perhaps the most appreciative when I do scratch her chest and back, because of the sheer amount of mass she has and can't reach by herself lol..

She doesn't display any ~unwarranted~ aggression, but she is aggressive towards any small animal. Really alarming to see her prey-drive be so strong when she was young, but that's another thing I'm used to with JRTs.
She is wary, but give her a moment to catch a smell and she'll tolerate some petting, though she generally does not care about people.
Loves other dogs. Still a puppy who loves to play and wants playmates.

She's very territorial of her own space and it's something I did not have prior experience with with my JRTs. It's not easy to explain since so many dogs display protective behavior and will bark. With the Chow, if she wasn't mine, I wouldn't fuck with her.
I actually brought her over from the Philippines and while we were there she slept on the floor facing the door and would bark at anyone who walked by our room at night. She continues this behavior and mow that we're home in the US and she has more reign over the house, her guarding extends to the whole house. She likes to be present everywhere. But again, doesn't seek affection, so she's... just there.

Where my JRTs act as car alarms, the Chow is more like an entire military tank.

Hands down the most well-behaved dog I've ever had though.
>>
File: layla.png (563KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
layla.png
563KB, 720x960px
New puppo, Belgian Malinois

I have resigned myself to the fact that I will get very little sleep for the next year or two and will have to give her lots and lots of attention and training

kinda hype though, first time I've ever had a dog that I could call all my own, every other dog was part of my immediate family
>>
File: layla2.jpg (82KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
layla2.jpg
82KB, 720x960px
>>2422960
Another picture of her. She's a little under 3 weeks old and comes home in august. Been reading up a lot on these dogs and been preparing myself. I worked with them to an extent in the fire department and military but that's very different from actually owning one. Gonna be a tough but rewarding time ahead. Hope to train her to be a hunting and hiking companion
>>
File: beagle1-600px.jpg (88KB, 600x483px) Image search: [Google]
beagle1-600px.jpg
88KB, 600x483px
How do I train a beagle?
>>
>>2423148

pray
>>
>>2423148
Hundreds of dollars on treats
>>
>>2422960
>>2422964
She's adorable! Be sure to post lots of pictures of her when she comes home. Good to see an owner doing their research and really preparing to raise a dog right.
>>
>>2422964
>She's a little under 3 weeks old
Here comes the puppy police.
>>
>>2414061
You're a good man anon
>>
>>2423487
>and comes home in august.
>>
>>2417402
qt
>>
>>2422384
Nice looking doggo. Coat give you and troubles?
>>
On a scale from 1 to 10 how hard is it to train a Scottish Terrier?
>>
>Have own house with long garden
>Partner and I both like dogs
>Partner says we should get one
>Point out we both work full time
>Not fair on the dog to be left alone for 8+ hours a day
>"Well my friends's dogs are okay with being left alone all day."
>No they're fucking not
>Partner now in a huff because I'm a big meanie who won't let him get a dog

Goddammit /an/. I would love a dog but there's no point if it's going to be stuck at home alone all day. How can I make him see sense about this?
>>
>>2410579
what breed is that?
>>
>>2423809
Could you guys afford a dog walker or doggy daycare?
>>
>>2423809
>>2423883

well, you can see if there's money in your budget for a dog walker, but that doesn't mean your bf is still going to give the dog the attention it needs on the nights and weekends.

I'd ask your friends with the sad dogs to let you borrow one or two of their dogs for 9 days (a saturday to the next sunday). still hire a dog walker during the work week anyway since you seriously don't want a bored dog in your home. dedicate all your downtime to the dog and prove to your bf he's not fucking ready for it.

and who knows, you may be pleasantly surprised.
>>
>>2423809
Is this bait?
>>
>sister gets daddy to buy her a doggo
>doggo is sister's responsibility
>it is a little mini aussie that is full of energy
>first few months family takes doggo out on walks all the time, the thing is like a little fucking lightning bolt, always jumping and literally running circles around us
>fast forward to texas summer
>100 degrees out all the time, even in the night you sweat standing still
>dad works a lot, can't walk doggo
>mom is an old lazy cunt, besides, the doggo isn't hers
>sister is 17, in good shape, has basically no obligations, dog is her responsibility
>she never walks doggo
>doggo is getting fat, I see it
>It wants to play all day but sister doesn't take it outside to run around, she doesn't walk it ever
>doggo that used to be so faste and energetic is getting lazy, sleeping a lot, getting fatter
>brush it off at first because doggo isn't my responsibility, tell sister to walk the fucking dog because it is depressing
>a few weeks go by, sister doesn't walk doggo, I take it outside and play with it a few times a week, and dad finds time to walk it after work once, but it obviously isn't enough for a >1 yr puppy
>walking out of kitchen
>doggo looks sad, almost guilty, as it is eating its food
>feel fucking sad
>know that my sister won't take care of it
>don't know what to do
I am going to start walking the damn thing, even though it isn't even mine. The problem is, I leave for uni in under 2 months, so even if I get doggo back in shape, I won't be able to walk it anymore. What should I do to make sure that the doggo doesn't get fat? It depresses me to see fat doggos, I wanna help it.
>>
>>2423962
Do you think you'd have the time to keep it with your class load? Maybe you can get the dog classified as a support dog and take it to your dorms and classes. Sister might get pissy that you stole "her" dog but she's obviously not fucking caring for it and giving it the attention it deserves
>>
>>2423962
As someone who keeps dogs, it's really hard to figure out good times to walk them in the Texas summer, where like you said, it's still hot as shit at night.

Not gonna say this is a valid excuse for your sister, but man it still sucks ass.
>>
>>2423974
I just walk mine after dark and take it a bit slower. Sucks that it's so muggy outside even at 9pm but fuck it, gotta walk the dogger
>>
>>2423974
Another Texasfag
I give my doggo a 45+ min walk as soon as I wake up and at seven. Bought one of those clip on water bottle / bowls ln Amazon because I'm paranoid about the little guy overheating. I can't wait for winter walks.

>>2423962
I have a sister like that. Her poor Schnauzer pretty much only gets out to pee and straight back in. I hate thinking about that dog. Made me wanna make sure I do right by my pupper.
>>
>>2423962
I have the same exact situation, except my sister is 15, and the aussie (not mini full grown) is only bonded to her so will growl at me when I try to take it for walks. It would sleep all day if I let it. Nobody walks it.
>>
https://discord.gg/QKMHmAH
>>
File: 20170115_220025.jpg (878KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20170115_220025.jpg
878KB, 2048x1536px
New dog sleeping on old dog
>>
>>2407992
Nobody can read your shitty fucking run on sentence anon
>>
Parents bought a foster dog and don't do anything other than walk it twice a day (Don't brush teeth or train him). Rest of the time it just sits on the couch while they feed it leftovers. They hate walking it and force me to do it (I'm allergic to dogs).

Is this a happy life for a dog? It still pulls on the leash and doesn't come when called.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1499322022960.jpg (114KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1499322022960.jpg
114KB, 960x720px
>>2412250
Huskies are high up there. The only dogs I like more than huskies are Huntaways from my experience with them.
>>
>>2411502
Its comfy
>>
>>2423809
>got first apartment with bf
>got shepherd mix puppy because immature 18 year olds
>poor thing home alone for 9 hours a day weekdays
>tragedy strikes, half my family dead in car crash
>agree to take family dog so they don't ship him to the pound
>All behavioral issues with Shepherd mix stop because he plays with family dog

We now have our own home, 3 acres for the dogs to run (we are up to five), and live within 20 mins of numerous parks. I believe three is the ideal number for dogs because that was when they were most stable. They honestly do fine, I've recorded them numerous times back when we were working and they just play with each other until someone comes home. If you're not keen on being a multidog household then yeah you're wise not to commit. Let him know if he wants a dog so bad he better start making more money and working less hours.
>>
File: images (4).jpg (7KB, 278x181px) Image search: [Google]
images (4).jpg
7KB, 278x181px
Southern California sucks ASS man. I live in Santa Rosa just North of "the bay"

if work is paying well or experience will send you onto better prospects by all means carry on.
>>
>>2423809
He's kinda right, though. I don't know about your friend's dogs; they might not be all right. But a well-adjusted adult dog can do just fine in a home where the owner is gone for an 8 hour workday, provided that the dog is given proper exercise and attention otherwise.

Keep in mind that dogs sleep much more than we do. Not only can you keep a dog occupied at home with puzzle toys, Kongs, or chews, but they will also likely just nap while you're away, and be happy to go for a walk and play when you get home.

Don't get a puppy, though.

>>2423962
Do what you can while you're there, and also keep on your sister's ass about is as much as you can. Be obnoxious and point out how she's neglecting her dog.

As for helping the dog lose weight, reduce her daily food intake. Feed her in 2-3 meals a day. Of course, more exercise helps too.

>>2424169
That's adorable. 10/10.
>>
>>2423974
South Florida and I have a black lab/border collie mix. I have to get up at 5 if I want to give her a long walk. Evenings are super humid so morning is better.
It's too fucking hot in this state.
>>
File: 20170701_212146.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20170701_212146.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
>>
>>2424290
Thank you for keeping your dog slim. Too many fat dogs out here.
>>
File: 20170212_122326.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20170212_122326.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
>>2424353
He's only a year old but he gets a lot of exercise. Got him at about the same time my dad retired so he's always with company while the rest of us are at work.

Summer's really hard on him, though. Guy can barely walk for 15-20 minutes before needing to rest, even when we walk him in the mornings and evenings when it's cooler.
>>
Have any of you ever dealt with treating skin bacterial infections before? I've been giving my doggo his meds since Saturday and have bathed him two out of the three times the vet instructed per week. He'll probably get another tomorrow.
He seemed to be getting better but is scratching up a storm today. We're seeing the vet for a follow up on the 14th, but fuck man. What the hell happened?
>>
am allergic, but think dogs are amazing and would love to have a companion. what do?
>>
>>2423284
is it that hard?
>>
File: mycooldog.jpg (130KB, 850x674px) Image search: [Google]
mycooldog.jpg
130KB, 850x674px
I'm worried the cage might be a tad too big for her? What size do you recommend for a collie her size?
>>
>>2424580
Stop being allergic
>>
>>2424580
Poodle

>>2424592
They are just super food motivated. Lots of positive training and treat training and they'll learn.

>>2424594
Big enough for her to turn around. Bigger the better.
>>
>>2424580
My niece is allergic to dogs

Her mom bought a Schnauzer.
I was allergic to my childhood cat but just didn't give a fuck. I did my best to hide my symptoms.
>>
>>2424580

http://www.akc.org/about/faq-allergies/
>>
>>2424580
hairless dog for the lols
>>
I just moved into a 700sqft apartment with my boyfriend. We have a balcony but no yard, we're up on the 5th floor. We'd really like a dog but we're a little wary because of our living situation, so we'll be really selective about size and breeds. Something medium sized (don't particularly enjoy small dogs, especially designer breeds), and not super high energy (I LOVE the way aussies look but they're just too energetic for no yard). Daily walks will definitely be a thing, someone will be home all the time, and visits to my in-laws that have another dog and a big yard as well as trips to the dog park will be once or twice weekly at the very least.

Does anyone have any breed recommendations? I think I'm going to go to the pound and try to get a mutt that fits the profile, but is there a breed that I should look out for?
>>
what kind of person actually makes the food for their dogs instead of buying it by the bag?

Thought I was awesome for buying my dog taste of the wild, and this raw meat prepared ingredient diet thing I just stumbled upon makes me feel total pleb.
>>
>>2424778
I make food for my dogs, but by that I mean I just make more portions of whatever I'm eating sans the bad-for-dog stuff and hold off on the seasoning until I divide it up. I figure what I'm eating must be better for them than generic kibble that's 90% grain and corn.
>>
File: IMG_20170708_133911.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170708_133911.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
>sister drops her Schnauzer off
>take both doggos out for a ten minute walk cause Texas heat at noon
>she's bolting for shade at the end of it, tongue splayed all out
>other doggo is panting but calm
>ten minutes

Jfc she fucked up her pup good.
>>
>>2424580
You can get rid of pet allergies by constantly spending time around what you're allergic to.
I used to be allergic to cats, but I have built up an immunity. Though, if I go around any cats that aren't my own, I get allergy symptoms.

I'm also really fucking allergic to doggos, but I'm willing to suffer for it if I ever end up getting one.
>>
File: 1427220397529.gif (974KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1427220397529.gif
974KB, 500x281px
>want doggo
>don't have much space
>work full time

I just don't it'd work out for the dog
>>
>>2424840
>>2424778

Making food is difficult for dogs because you have to get an accurate gauge of what their macro needs are and supplement wherever nutrients come up short.

Giving your dog just human food "with the bad-for-dogs stuff left out" isn't going to cut it and your dog will be severely malnourished. I've heard horror stories from vets about how dogs' muscles have atrophied and their jawbones have just fallen off because their idiot owners thought a bowl of rice and chicken every day was healthy.

Raw feeding can be really good if done correctly, but your dog will become a walking bacteria factory--more so than usual, and carrying more dangerous bacteria than before. Your dog eats raw meat, and even if he doesn't get sick (and he can, he absolutely can get things like salmonella despite what raw feeding sites will tell you), he can get you or your family sick by licking you or licking things you touch. Raw bones can still splinter, though at a lower rate than cooked ones.

In the end, unless you're a literal dog nutritionist, it's safer and more cost effective to just feed your dog a high-quality kibble. If you think TOTW isn't good enough (I use it, it's in my budget), there are better, richer foods out there like merrick, wellness, or nature's logic (which I buy when I have good extra money lying around).
>>
>>2424769
Definitely fon't try to get retriever or herding breeds. A retired greyhound would probably be good for the current lifestyle you have. Otherwise, any breed bred originally for "companionship" is probably going to be best for you. You don't want a digger or ratter with nothing to dig or ferret out.

Also, I would wait until you're in a better place than a tall apartment with no yard and no dog park close by. I got my dog when I knew I'd have the time to be with him basically 6 full days a week. Even though he was in an apartment with no yard, he had me on top of him all the time for potty training and exercise. We just moved into a smaller apartment with no yard and on a higher floor, but the trade off is we have a small agility park literally right below us and we meet our neighbors almost every day for a play group.
>>
>>2425831
People like you are insufferable. Tell the thousands of street dogs in 3rd world countries that "human food" ("human" food is food btw) isn't going to cut it and that the animals should just starve instead. It's the same as I eat or Beneful, take your pick.
>>
>>2425900
You're fuckin retarded. It's not "human food or starve" it's "starve or be severely malnourished". Your dog is and will continue to be malnourished if you feed it human food without knowing what the fuck you're doing. Don't get pissy because someone reminded you feeding a dog is more than just filling it up until it's full.
>>
>buy a cat tease toy because trying to get pupper interested in toys
>he starts going after jt but I hide it behind the sofa while I get some water
>come back to find he pulled out the stick and was biting the toy mouse

I think I finally found a toy to up his play drive.
>>
>>2425929
When he tears that delicate thing apart, look into building a flirt pole. My dog loves feathery toys but plays way too hard for them to last, then he tears them apart and cries when he realized he can't play anymore. The flirt pole was easy to make and you can make a big knot of rope for the end or attach light toys to them. It's great.
>>
>Tfw you're getting an apartment soon and you want a dog but your gf says she'll never come over because she hates animals

Wat do? I want either a pug or a basset hound.
>>
>>2425940
>wanting a pug, ever
Shit taste
>wanting one of the loudest fucking dogs on the planet, the basset hound, when you live in an apartment
And a shitty neighbor too
>>
>>2425951
Post ur dog faget
>>
File: second.jpg (185KB, 978x735px) Image search: [Google]
second.jpg
185KB, 978x735px
Brutus the pitbull turned 2 today. Please wish her a happy birthday.
>>
>>2425940
The dog will be your new gf
>>
Kill shitbulls.
>>
>>2425968
Beware the ides of March
>>
heya doggo-loving pals
This is, albeit very blurry, a picture of my dog. German Shepard+???
(Found her at a baseball field, took her home and no one's claimed her so she's mine now)

Anyway, are there any training books you fellows would recommend?
Just general ones would be nice. Taught her how to poo poo pee pee outside, I wanna teach her not to tug forward on her leash when I take her for walks as it results in her heavily panting.

Thanks friends.
>>
>>2415476
Good job, Maple!
>>
>>2426007
I've been using Training the Best Dog Ever. I watched plenty of videos but that really made things click. Say what you will about the website but, I like the r/dogtraining a lot too.

>>2425931
Definitely. I am so happy right now. He went after a stuffed bunny and duck he previously ignored like he had never seen them before.
>>
File: IMG_1615.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1615.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>2425960
Quiet, healthy, well-behaved mutt. And he can sneeze without his eyeballs popping out so that's a plus.
>>
>>2425940
>she hates animals
Dump her immediately.
>>
>>2425777
2 Really smol doggos?
>>
File: tumblr_mc9eqdpG0s1r6cv19o1_500.jpg (195KB, 427x640px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mc9eqdpG0s1r6cv19o1_500.jpg
195KB, 427x640px
>>2426441
yeah. and then put them in a coat together! it's basically like one big doggo

>>2424769
>>2425835
I forgot to point out a huge factor: there's a big grassy field in my apartment complex right below my building. I can see it from my balcony. So while he wouldn't be able to just go outside whenever I could take him down a few times a day to run around and play. For some reason that hadn't really occured to me until I was sitting on my balcony earlier today. So I think I'm in the clear for having a doggo ethically as long as it's not a zoomy breed. Greyhound or some kind of mix isn't a bad idea at all.
>>
Fuck fireworks and fuck thunder. My dog is scared to the point of shaking because of it and I don't know what to do about it besides providing a nice little hidey-hole filled with her favorite toys and stuff.

I've looked into buying her one of those anxiety harnesses, but for now, is there anything I can do to make her a little more comfortable during thunderstorms?
>>
File: df.jpg (459KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
df.jpg
459KB, 2048x1536px
His name is Duncan, he's a mutt. Have no idea what he is
>>
>>2427147
Hang with her, keep talking so she hears your voice, and act like everything is fine. If she sees you freaking out about her freaking out, it will only make things worse. Show her that everything's cool by watching TV or something while cuddling and talking to her.

>>2427148
I know what he is. He's fuckin cute
>>
File: butterwouldntmelt.jpg (12KB, 206x274px) Image search: [Google]
butterwouldntmelt.jpg
12KB, 206x274px
> Mum buys a puppy in the middle of my exam season.
> Mum doesn't socialise dog adequately
> Mum does not teach dog how to do anything properly
> Queue after exams...
> "Anon, will you teach him how to heel?"

I now essentially have a four month old puppy dragging me half way down the road. I'm doing the 'you pull, I turn around' tactic which worked well with both of my dogs- but dear lord this is downright frustrating.

I feel like I'm working from complete scratch again.
>>
>>2427147
One of my dogs is scared of fireworks. I found distracting her works really well. She loves loves training, so I get my treat bag and spend time working on her tricks and obidence. Tiring them out before hand helps. Besides that, just comfort her and be with her. Don't freak out and be nervous... just sit with her, pet her, and tell her it's okay.
>>
here we go, a dog general. just made this thread searching for answers >>2427392
>>
>>2425940
Anon, I don't know how much you like animals, but i assume its a lot, considering your on /an/.

Not lying, I'd sit down, have a talk with her, and let her know my feelings on animals. I'd let her know that owning a dog is extremely important to me.

Does she have experience with animals? Does she know what owning one actually entails? Or is she someone who only knows what she has heard on tv?

See if she'd actually have a problem with a Pug. They're one of the least maintenance/threatening dogs around.

Honestly, if is, in fact, completely non-negotiable on her end, I'd dump her. We just wouldn't be compatible. Also, to me straight up saying that you hate animals and don't associate with them is extremely close minded, and either shows that your a prissy uptight bitch or a complete pussy, though obviously I'm biased.

You have to decide whats important to you yourself though, of course.
>>
File: 1499486166113.jpg (50KB, 450x600px) Image search: [Google]
1499486166113.jpg
50KB, 450x600px
Can any anons give me some breed suggestions? I'm considering getting another dog since my unidentifiable terrier mutt mix died about a year back.

For reference, I live in a medium-sized apartment with a roommate with a small (enclosed) yard with a 4ft high fence. The dog would be home alone for 8 hrs 4 days a week (though hiring dog walkers is a possibility, if necessary.)

I can devote 1-2hrs per day training/exercising with said dog, and don't really go out on weeknights/weekends much anymore.

Also I enjoy taking my dog wherever I go (the occasional party, camping trip, and dogfriendly outdoor restaurant patio) so friendlieness and complacency would be preferred.

I only adopt from rescues, so it may have to be a bit common. I was considering either a Greyhound or a Boston Terrier.
>>
>>2427383
Please four months old is hardly too old. He is still maeliable.

Are you focusing on an actual heel or just polite leash walking?
>>
>>2427465
a greyhound would be good if you had access to a much larger enclosed area so he could run, like a dog park. a small yard wouldn't cut it. they're lazy most of the day, but when they need to run, they need to R U N

would your roommate be okay with a dog? would they care for it if you weren't there? what's your job/living accommodations going to be like in the future?
>>
File: tumblr_o8qdhj9WwX1s4yg05o1_500.jpg (90KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o8qdhj9WwX1s4yg05o1_500.jpg
90KB, 500x500px
>>2427473
I've heard that as well, so Greyhound might not be the best idea.I don't think there are large dog parks around here, nor could I trust myself to live in an area with one in the future.

My roommates cool with it, we've been friends since HS and we both grew up with dogs. He actually wants one but goes out a lot more, so he said he'd prefer if I got a dog that he could do 20% of the work for, rather than it be fully his responsibility. He's responsible and we've looked after each other's pups in the past, so I know he's good for it. We have slightly different schedules, so the dog shouldn't be alone for more than 7 hrs per day.

I imagine I'll be living in a medium sized apt./ small sized house for pretty much the rest of my life. At least the next 12 years. As for job, I value life over work balance, so at most I'd be working 40 hrs a week any give time.

I don't imagine I'd ever be living alone, but if I did (or if I ever need to be out for work/commute 50 hrs a week,) I wouldn't mind paying for a midday 30min walk 5 days a week.
>>
Owning a dog and being guaranteed to see his last days and know they are only shortly on the horizon can only be done by a very strong person. I just had to put my Shepherd down, was one of the hardest things I've ever done. You are all special people, dog owners are very strong-willed. Love everyone that gives their dog love.
>>
>>2405033

For the sake of the local bird/reptile population just let him get the cat.
>>
File: Snapchat-2795622.jpg (470KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-2795622.jpg
470KB, 1080x1920px
>>
>>2427463
>Pug
>one of the least maintenance/threatening dogs around
>least maintenance
While they aren't high energy and thus won't need a lot of exercise, pugs often have serious medical problems due to the squished face. Most of them need regular cleaning of their face folds to prevent skin infections, extra care taken not to overheat them, some even need surgery in order to be able to breathe properly. So I feel like calling them "low maintenance" isn't quite accurate. Getting a pug with a more moderate muzzle (well-bred) can help some of these issues, but these are hard to come by.
>>
>>2428112
By least maintenance I meant don't need a ton of attention/exercise, and thus won't be on your dick constantly or get destructive. Also bred to be non-threatening (plus they just aren't threatening even if they try,) which I feel eliminates most of the "bad" parts of having a dog according to non dogfags.

They're certainly abominations who should probably have their face bred to be at least slightly longer (ala french bulldog or boston terrier,) but they're less "risk" than other dogs.
>>
Question...

I have an Old English Sheepdog & Standard Poodle who are just.. nasty. I live on 70+ acres of woods, dirt, burrs, lake.. I'll brush them & they'll immediately come home nasty & matted.

Should I just shave them both?

I also have a sheltie x & pitbull who are gross too but I can keep them pretty clean without issue.
>>
File: 01.png (504KB, 497x360px) Image search: [Google]
01.png
504KB, 497x360px
I'm getting a dog soon. I'm really excited, and this is a slow board, so I'm just going to post some shelter pics of dogs I'm considering. I haven't visited any of these yet, I'm just waiting on a doctor's note which could take a few weeks.

h y p e
>>
File: 02.png (249KB, 302x407px) Image search: [Google]
02.png
249KB, 302x407px
>>2428429
look at this cute fucking face /an/
>>
File: 03.png (205KB, 249x337px) Image search: [Google]
03.png
205KB, 249x337px
>>2428431
m a j e s t i c

all of these are girls by coincidence
>>
>>2428429
>doctor's note
why

surely you're not thinking you can adopt a shelter dog and then train it to be a service dog yourself with no previous experience, right?
>>
>>2403262
My brother's got this German Shepherd who gets so anxious when he leaves for work that she's chewed through the chain link fence or break the window.

He's talked about using a dog crate to help train her, so I thought about getting him one. Obviously it'd take a strong crate, but everything I could find shopping around didn't even look half as strong as the fence she chewed through. Now all that's left is online shopping (which I don't trust) so I thought I'd ask here first.

Is it even possible to find a crate/cage that could withstand a dog like this for under a few hundred bucks?
>>
>>2428456
Nah. Going to get them some training, sure, but not a service dog. Doctor's note is because that's the only way I can get a dog where I live right now (it can be an 'emotional support animal'). I know /an/ hates when people cheat the system so they can get their shitty misbehaved dogs in grocery stores or whatever but I have full intention of making sure they're a well-behaved dog and I won't take it places it doesn't belong.
>>
>watching sister's shitty untrained dog
>we've done it before, but this is the first time with a doggo of our own
>let them both out in the yard for a romp
>my boy starts getting attention from dad
>sister's shitty dog starts growling and humps him
>did this on four or five separate occasions

I never knew a girl could hump like that. It is nice to see I've made some progress in my doggo tho
>>
>>2428459
Were you the schizophrenic in the other thread? If you can afford it, you might be eligible for a psychiatric service dog.

https://www.caninejournal.com/psychiatric-service-dog/
>>
>>2428552
Nope. I don't actually have a disability as I said in the post you replied to. It's just the only way I'll be able to get a dog into the place I live (I rent).
>>
File: a6wbgEL_460sa.gif (2MB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
a6wbgEL_460sa.gif
2MB, 320x180px
Post your dogs' names, or future dog names
>>
>>2428621
My dog is named peanut because he has a giant marking in the shape of a peanut on his side. I am very creative.
>>
File: DEYowRBVwAA5QBj.jpg (161KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
DEYowRBVwAA5QBj.jpg
161KB, 1200x1200px
>>2428621
Pic related, his name is Tater
>>
>>2428687
>>2428679
Food names are the best. My dog's name is going to be spaghetti when i finally get them
>>
File: DSC_1224.jpg (384KB, 975x650px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_1224.jpg
384KB, 975x650px
>>2428621
Turnip
>>
>>2428550
>I never knew a girl could hump like that.
Its a dominance thing
>>
>Try to google good brands of dog food for a dog i'll be adopting soon
>it's all just ads and spots companies have paid for
>one of the 'vet recommended' brands is science diet and i know that's just corporate greed, too

god damnit does anyone know an actual good website for this shit
>>
>>2428790
nevermind i'm retarded, found THE one. Looks like I'll need to set aside 500-600 dollars to make sure I have everything for doggo when I adopt it assuming the adoption fee is like 250. Did anyone have an experience where they needed more/less or does that sound about right?
>>
>>2428809
>adoption fee
is this really a thing? There are loads of doggos that need homes; I've never had to pay to get a dog beyond vaccines and dog food.
>>
>>2428832
Yeah, do you live in the US? Every shelter I've seen has like a $100-$250 adoption fee, but that covers shots, vet fee, and spays/neuters, and helps keep the shelter afloat. So that's all included.
>>
>>2428457
Under a few hundred bucks? No. But they do exist. Look up "impact dog crates." If you want something built that sturdy, you're gonna have to shell out quite a bit of money for it.

>>2428459
Emotional support animals aren't the same as service dogs. They don't get the same rights (service dogs are allowed public access anywhere; ESAs are not, the only special rights they get are access to housing (as in your case) and transportation in the cabin on planes)

>>2428720
>Turnip
That's adorable.

>>2428809
That sounds about right but be prepared to spend a few hundred more soon enough for vet stuff (if it's not included in the adoption fee) and other supplies you might need besides the basics.
>>
>>2405702
I brush my boy's teeth. He is ultra polite and well-mannered and would never lick your face (he is submissive and would hate to offend). He only licks your hand very gently to say sorry or to day hi, but this is occasional, not frequent. He is well fed and happy, so he doesn't eat his or any other poop (not that I would ever let him).

All dogs are different.

My roommates both have dogs as well. One that ate the other's poop before we changed them all to the same good food. The other that eats goose poop. Both will lick your face if encouraged and within reach. It just depends on what you allow. I don't mind doggie kisses all over my face, I just make sure the poop eating never happens in the first place. Goose poop eater is no longer taken places where goose poop is available to him. Other poop eater is no longer eating the other dog's poop because it would taste the same as his own damn shit (I think he was just jealous the other dog got cheaper shit food that might've tasted/smelled better to him being a rescued dumpster dog and all).

I'm conclusion: my doggo is the best doggo.
>>
>>2407019
Shitbull
Sorry for your loss
>>
>>2408863
Older doesn't necessarily ever mean independent... Another dog may make it jealous and worse. You won't know till you try
>>
File: IMG_1123.jpg (2MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1123.jpg
2MB, 2592x1936px
>>2402689
Help, my dog is an yandere and won't let my NEET hands touch my mom, help.
>>
File: IMG_1151.jpg (2MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1151.jpg
2MB, 2592x1936px
>>2429010
Here's my other dog too
>>
File: Snapchat-525123211.jpg (228KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-525123211.jpg
228KB, 720x1280px
>>2419471
Back to /fit/
>>
>>2428922
>>Turnip
>That's adorable.
Too bad she had to be hospitalized for 2 mos as a pup and it ruined her. Shes only a year old so Im slowly working on it, but I have 3 other large dogs.. She was a gift from my friends -- I didnt want another dog.. They paid 3.8k for her from PetLand.. She never grew to full size- supposed to be a standard poodle.. Im thinking of rehoming her honestly. I feel like one of those too many dog ppl.
>>
File: 45413481.jpg (46KB, 220x329px) Image search: [Google]
45413481.jpg
46KB, 220x329px
>>>2428459
>Emotional support animals aren't the same as service dogs. They don't get the same rights (service dogs are allowed public access anywhere; ESAs are not, the only special rights they get are access to housing (as in your case) and transportation in the cabin on planes

That's fine, its all I really want anyway. Thanks for the info anon
>>
>>2429198
>>2428922
Whoops, posting on mobile is hard
>>
Good chews for dogs?

My dog badly broke one of his molars on an antler, after having it extracted I'm trying to find some good chews for him. Right now he gets dried tracheas and tendons. Gonna try gullet sticks too.

He used to get bully sticks but the veterinary dentist mentioned them being too hard for an aggressive chewer, which I don't doubt. The dog chomps down on things with all the force he can muster, even bully sticks are bitten into chunks and swallowed. He'd occasionally puke up some of the chunks so I'll probably just avoid them. Better safe than sorry since he's only a little over a year old and I don't want him to fuck up his other molars.

Thought about pig ears, but I've heard mixed things about their digestibility and he is prone to biting off/swallowing huge chunks and not chewing thoroughly.

Any other things that might be good to try? And is it possible to teach an aggressive chewer/gulper to chew more thoroughly and slowly?
>>
File: 20170712_211015.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170712_211015.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
Can anyone help me identify my dog's breed? The shelter told us she's a beagle/Bassett hound mix but her colors make me think she has some bulldog or something in her.
Pic related: it's her, she got scared of the rain and needed cuddles
>>
>>2428621
Fiddler (on the woof)
>>
>>2429338
basically anything that is made for endurance is also going to be hard as hell, and anything soft enough to not break teeth is going to be destroyed/devoured within minutes. even then it's possible to get chunks off of anything and choke on them or get them stuck in the digestive tract.

no chew is 100% safe 100% of the time with a dog like yours. I have an aggressive chewer, but he hasn't broken any teeth yet, so we're still using antlers and horns. bully sticks practically dissolve in his mouth, not sure why your vet dentist thought they'd be too hard.

if your dog chews to chew and doesn't care about taste (as in, he won't lose interest if it doesn't taste good), look up goughnuts.
>>
>>2429423
looks like a trim-its-fucking-nails to me
>>
>>2429439

Yeah, I don't really mind chews being gone fairly quickly, but he loves edible chews so I'd like to find some he might enjoy that won't risk more tooth fracture. For an aggressive chewer (seriously, he even ground down antlers fairly quickly, and I feel dumb for not listening to my gut that he was chewing too hard), I know that I'll have to be careful with what I choose without depriving him of that outlet completely.

He's not big on chewing non-edibles, though I have been considering trying stuffed kongs.
>>
>>2428621
Roux(by) Dooby Doo.

His coat is red.
>>
>>2429488
what type of antlers was he gnawing on? the only antlers my dog has ground down *very* quickly are the big pieces of moose antler (then he got the protein shits because he'd eaten so much). elk and deer give him a much harder time.

if you don't mind chews being gone quickly, probably what you're giving him now (tendons + tracheas) is best. be careful he doesn't have too much in one sitting because it'll give him the protein shits. I remember my former boss, who had a big boxer who liked to chew, mentioned something a long time ago about ostrich tendons, but I haven't found any in my area and don't know much about them except he said they are good. if I were worried about teeth, I'd just stick with the meaty digestibles and accept he couldn't have any long-lasting chews.
>>
>>2429504

I gave him deer antlers. They still lasted him a while, but if he got in a chewing mood he could grind down half an inch or more in half an hour. He bites with so much force for a medium sized dog.

And yeah, it's really not worth the risk going for harder/sturdier chews with him. I think if I want something more time consuming I'll try out some frozen/stuffed kongs and stick to the softer chews even if those end up more like 5-10 minute treats at best. Thanks for the suggestions!
>>
>>2428832
Yeah, and they need to keep it afloat.

Shelters run pretty much entirely on donations and adoption fees m8.
>>
>>2429198
Yeah, so you can't really hurt anyone by "misrepresenting" a dog as an ESA since they are basically just pets that provide comfort. They don't have to have special training or do tasks for their owners, they just help by being there. And since they don't get public access the same way service dogs do, it isn't going to be a problem if your dog isn't 100% perfect at all times. So I fully encourage you to get a doctor's note for an ESA, and I don't see why anyone would take issue with that, it's hardly "cheating the system" and it doesn't hurt anyone.
>>
File: 20150222_145237.jpg (781KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20150222_145237.jpg
781KB, 2048x1152px
There was a thread not too long ago about someone asking between jack russells and border collies, and I wasn't in the mood to youtube JRTs at the time.
That person probably won't see this but anyway..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84A7-8dN0S4

These dogs are insane. I'd consider them shit tier if I didn't love them.
>>
File: Screenshot_1.png (84KB, 846x889px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_1.png
84KB, 846x889px
>>2429746
Yeah /an/ is usually just pretty righteous about that, I agree completely

therapypet dog org is a scam right? I was mostly curious, took their 'evaluation' to see if I qualify, knowing there was going to be a pretty hefty fee at the end. It seems like a quick and easy way to steal $200 from people, but they get like a 60% approval rating on websites that evaluate scammers. I'm not going to risk it, just going to go see a doctor when my insurance card finally comes in, but still.
>>
>>2429926
How are competition dogs that poorly trained? 0 recall, going fucking bananas in their owners' hands, etc. Is it the breed or is it shitty owners?
>>
File: Screenshot_2.png (423KB, 496x396px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2.png
423KB, 496x396px
>tfw one of the dogs you were in love with and hoped to adopt was already adopted

i'm happy for her but shit nigga i wanted her
>>
>puppy holds in her poop in the crate but still pees in it
Wat do. She doesn't stay in the crate longer than about 3 hours at a time. She is a little over 3 months, so she still is young, and even when I take her out to pee she squats twice.
>>
>just move in with s/o
>they live with family
>they have a maltese shih tzu mix named Leo
>they never bothered to train him except to hover over people's feet so they pet them with their feet
>he constantly has piss coating his underbelly so you're getting piss on you doing this
>for some reason they just let this happen
>barks at everything. People coming home, people leaving and any animal like creature on tv
>barks are the most yappiest shitty barks
>is known to attack and bite strangers
>will bite you if you try to leave the house
>will bite you if you move him at all
>will bite you if you have food he wants
>only person who likes him in the house is the mom
>constantly gets on s/o's ass on how they need to get on him
>goes into wherever he wants because otherwise he'll just bark til he gets what he wants
>once when I was getting it on with s/o he jumps on the bed and humps my arm, which then I fling him off across the room
Anyways...
>tl'dr get a kitten from a friend
>dog likes him a lot actually
>likes to sneak in room and eat the cat food
>fucking s/o is right there playing overwatch to fucking notice the shit head eating the food
>I walk in from the bathroom and smack the dogs ass with a toothbrush to get him off the food
>he immediately snaps back at me

I at least tried to call him first but he wouldn't listen. He never really listens to anyone.

tl'dr what can I do about an aggressive shitty lap dog and is it ok to hit him in general? I only suggest hitting him when I need him off of something since literally nothing else works with him.

>I honestly really want to murder this fucking dog though
>>
>>2430365
No, dogs really don't respond to hitting.

Why don't you move out of your S/O's parents house so you don't have to deal with the dog, are you in a country where it's common? Short of spending months training it yourself, there's really nothing you can do.
>>
File: dog_005_a_master_is_out.jpg (71KB, 800x624px) Image search: [Google]
dog_005_a_master_is_out.jpg
71KB, 800x624px
When dogs seem to mimic behaviours of other dogs present, they usually actually are simply responding to the same stimuli as those dogs. They aren't mimicking them. Dogs are bad at mimicking.
>>
I'm staying at a friend's place and he has two small dogs. They've been mauling each other all day, and each time I leave the house to step outside they lurch violently towards the door and start clawing to try and keep me from leaving. Plus they bark loudly at the slightest thing.

Is there anything I can do to assert myself over them and make them behave, or should I just leave it to my friend and his family?
>>
>>2430045
It's the breed, mostly. JRTs trained like the dogs on Fraser and Wishbone are anomalies.
Frisbee or Agility competitions have JRTs that are better behaved and have more focus, but Run competitions reflect the nature of the breed best.. they're terrorists.
>>
>>2430044
Yeah, I wouldn't risk it...there are a lot of con websites that offer "registration" or "certification" for service dogs and the like. It's just a money grab.

>>2430060
She's beautiful

>>2430473
Do not try to discipline your friend's dogs without his permission. It's extremely rude. If you have an issue with their behavior, talk to your friend about it.
>>
File: bathtime.jpg (175KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
bathtime.jpg
175KB, 1280x720px
Here is Maple at her most recent bath. She looks so small when wet.
>>
File: sadbath.jpg (177KB, 1280x850px) Image search: [Google]
sadbath.jpg
177KB, 1280x850px
>>2431392
Another one
>>
File: floof.jpg (503KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
floof.jpg
503KB, 1280x720px
>>2431393
And post-bath floof
>>
I dont know much about dogs.
My friend however adopted a dog, which came from abusive enviroment.
>He is really experienced with dogs and training them
a mixed breed pointer. black/gray, magnificent hair around the snout, looks really handsome.

He wont let me near the dog, says I could loose a finger or worse.
If the dog is that dangerous, can it be "rehabilitated" and how can my friend pet it, but I cant?
Is there some way I could help my friend?
>>
>>2428621
turkey
Thread posts: 327
Thread images: 105

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.