[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Land snails as pets

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 11

File: 1484509590980.jpg (9KB, 241x247px) Image search: [Google]
1484509590980.jpg
9KB, 241x247px
I'm wondering how long terrestrial snails are supposed to sleep, and when I should be worried.

I recently caught a couple of snails - two grove snails and one Roman snail - and I keep them in a smallish plastic pet carrier. Before that I kept them in a jar for a couple of days. As substrate I use garden soil and I feed them mostly cucumber and salad.

Most of the time they sit under the cover of their carrier and they aren't very lively recently. Just today they seem to have slept all day, and yesterday they only came out to eat and move around a bit when I woke them myself. Is this normal? The room I keep them in is reasonably well lit, so they shouldn't think it's night time all the time. It's also wet enough, since I used to spray them with water, and yesterday put in a water saucer into their carrier.
>>
>>2402047
This is normal, their sleep cycle isn't a 24hr one like ours. Instead of 8-16, it's closer to 15-30 and that doesn't include seasonal hibernation or aestivation.
>>
>>2402915
That's reassuring I guess, but still it looks like I sometimes have to "remind" them to eat. Like they'll sleep but if I wake and put them near food, they'll eat anyway.
>>
What's also a bit troubling is that the vast majority of time my snails just sit around on their asses doing nothing. I don't think they're sleeping all the time either since they're neither inside their shells nor burrowing in dirt.

Whenever I observed snails in the wild they were either holed up in their shells or moving or eating if they were outside. Or is it normal that they also sleep outside their shells or otherwise goof off?
>>
>>2402047
>why aren't my snails sleeping enough

I've seen everything here now. You guys are weird to me.
>>
>>2403484
I actually asked the opposite: why are they sleeping so much.

There was a guy here once who kept a leech as a pet and fed him his own blood. Keeping garden snails is mainstream by comparison.
>>
>>2403512
There's some weird shit that goes down here my friend.
>>
>plastic pet carrier

do you have some way of making sure air is circulating? like keep a ceiling fan or desk fan running and add perforations to the sides of the container so air flows through and not over

their environment might be a little stagnant and they may not be used to new foods yet. provide cuttings from where you collected them
>>
>>2403536
I don't have a fan, but as far as circulation goes, the carrier I keep them in seems well ventilated. It's designed similarly to pic related, but smaller so the perforated lid takes up a larger portion of the surface area.

I'll see about getting them some weeds from our garden, where I found them. As far as getting used to the new food goes, they actually ate a lot for a couple of days, up until like the day before yesterday since when they only ate very little.
>>
>>2403542
>pet gets full
>stops eating

???
>>
>>2403549
So they've been full for a couple of days? I always thought these things ate all the fucking time.
>>
>>2403550
I don't know what animal you're even talking about man.
>>
File: IMG_20170610_104853.jpg (614KB, 1120x1680px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170610_104853.jpg
614KB, 1120x1680px
>>2403555
Snails? Just come to my house and put them on my broccoli and they'll stop their hunger strike.
>>
>>2402047
You can catch them fo free in florida, but they have chlamydia.

Importing them is illegal because people keep releasing them. Which is why you can get them in florida.
>>
>>2403616
talkin' 'bout giant african land snails
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
did someone say snail thread?

just fed my grove snails some more fish food, parsley, and green beans.
(the orange shit is the wet fish food)
>>
>>2403694
Can you share some of your experience with your snails? It's the first time I'm keeping any since I was a kid, and I have almost no idea what I'm doing.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>2403759
sure! been keeping and breeding them for about five years now, one of my original 2 died last week (RIP aziraphale). i keep them in a large fish tank next to my window. i use coconut substrate and a lot of sterilized bark/branches/moss and wooden bowls for them to climb on.

i also have small millipedes and isopods in there as a cleanup crew.
>>
File: image.jpg (138KB, 874x760px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
138KB, 874x760px
>>2403832
god damn it, sorry for upside down image, mobile sucks.

heres some devouring an apple core.
>>
>>2403832
>>2403837
That setup looks awesome! I don't have the room for that plus I'm not fully committed to keeping snails yet. With my cheap-ass pet carrier I can just let them out in my garden again and get rid of the thing if it's not going to work out.
>>
File: common smooth woodlouse2.jpg (134KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
common smooth woodlouse2.jpg
134KB, 1280x960px
throw a couple of these in the tank, they help eat dead matter and such. basically tank cleaners.
>>
>>2404187
Will they eat the snails' shit as well?
>>
Bump for more advice before this expires.
>>
File: XeSEOuw.jpg (33KB, 398x500px) Image search: [Google]
XeSEOuw.jpg
33KB, 398x500px
>>2404187
this.

isopods are a lifesaver when it comes to tank maintenance. (plus theyre adorable.)
>>
One of my Roman snails has a "bald spot" on its shell, meaning it lost most of its color there. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Should I be worried?
>>
>>2405473
>eats through plant stalk
>plant falls over
>finds new plant
>eats through stalk

Fuck these things. Louse and pill bugs are both shit.
>>
File: cute.jpg (47KB, 661x496px) Image search: [Google]
cute.jpg
47KB, 661x496px
>>2406228
it means they need more protein. try wet fish food, make sure it doesnt have salt.

>>2406233
get stronger plants then, nerd. how can you say no to this face? pic related.

unrelated, but does anyone have that screencap with "explain to me why the fuck you dont like beetles" because thats how i feel right now
>>
>>2406255
I've been getting them beefed up in pots before putting them into the garden. But slugs and potato bugs are out in numbers I have never seen in my life.

Do chemtrail planes spray insect larva now? Fuck.
>>
>>2406255
>it means they need more protein. try wet fish food, make sure it doesnt have salt.

Thanks, I'll look into it. I'm feeding them turtle food already, I assume the contents are pretty similar.
>>
Jesus you guys are awesome.
I used to spend hours as a kid in my backyard playing with snails, never considered them as a pet or even breeding.
Real interesting stuff here.

Also fuck yeah pill bugs (we call them slaters or rolly pollys here)
>>
File: ACKSHULLY.png (21KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
ACKSHULLY.png
21KB, 700x700px
>>2406914

TECHNICALLY, only ispods in the family armadillidae can roll into balls. rolly pollys and woodlice/pill bugs are two different crustaceans (both of which are adorable.)
>>
File: beetles.png (52KB, 500x111px) Image search: [Google]
beetles.png
52KB, 500x111px
>>2406255

UPDATE: found it. (sage for doublepost/off-topic)
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.