[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Birdwatching technology

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

File: bird phone.jpg (92KB, 604x457px) Image search: [Google]
bird phone.jpg
92KB, 604x457px
I don't have a cell phone because I don't want to appear like one of those millennial hipster fucks that treats it like a life support mechanism and wears it glued to their face at every opportunity, but not having one really bit me in the ass yesterday.

I took a decently long trip yesterday and missed out on seeing a very rare bird because I simply didn't know to check a certain spot that I ended up driving right by three times. If I'd had internet access in any form I could have checked the local forums and seen all the reports of it. It really shits me that I drove all that way and missed it. Between being able to look up all IDs with photos, pulling up their songs on command, and just checking eBird and other forums it seems like in this day and age having a cell phone is as essential to birdwatching as having a pair of binoculars. I have a Sibley guide that I barely even take out with me anymore because I have no way to carry it and don't feel like wearing an entire backpack just for one book, whereas a phone would fit in my pocket (though the size they make these things these days it's questionable).

So what I'm getting at is I have zero knowledge of these devices and I hear people occasionally mention all the good programs (not "apps" you hipster fuckwits) that are useful but I never paid any attention so I need to know what are the best ones to get so I can make sure a phone (if I get one) will support them. I do know of Merlin and eBird but other than that I'm clueless.
>>
inaturalist
>>
Just get a cell phone, faggot. I was like you when I was like 16 then once someone bought me a phone I was super fucking glad. I use it mostly for google maps, gps programs that help me when hiking and stuff. Just try not to get obsessed with checking shit on it all the time.
>>
>>2400207
You : "Fuck you guys with your iphones and your gadgets you hipster Shits!"

Also you: "Pweese help me I don't know how to work all these buttons :'("
>>
>>2400207
But cell phones have been mainstream since the 90's?
>>
>people who use the Sibley Guide as a field guide

This makes me laugh every time. The only thing sillier is when people pick up my Pyle Guide thinking it's a normal book. The book is too fucking big! Get a field guide, my dude! I'm pretty sure Sibley makes field guides too if you want to stick with the brand. I'm kind of partial to National Geographic's field guides myself. But using a book that large in the field is asking for a bad time, that's for leaving on a table or in a car. If you're going on foot you want something you can comfortably fit into your binocular case or in the waistband of your pants
>>
>not using a phone bc OP doesn't want to be seen as faggy
ok nerd
>>
>>2400261
I'm not a bird watcher but even I've heard of Sibley. wtf is a Pyle Guide?
>>
>>2400261
What do you define a field guide as, like how many pages? The thing is each area I go to can have an assortment of song birds, waterfowl, raptors, etc so I kind of need access to the whole lot.

>>2400257
>>2400265
Yes. But it's only been in recent years since the iPhone craze that large internet able phones have been the symbol of the dregs of society. I DO have a small pre-paid flip phone similar to my OP pic for emergencies. I just don't see the need for people to be on Facebook 24/7 and be staring at it as they walk down the sidewalk and blindly out into traffic.
>>
>>2400207
>I don't want to be like today's stupid hipsters, I am cool and old fashioned these kids don't know shit
Just get a proper mobile phone. It's not like you have to hold it in your hand all the time just because you own it.
>>
For bird watching in local areas, I like to use a small GIS app like Qfield so I can map the bird species that I find.
>>
>>2400207
Do you really expect people to read all that?
>>
>>2400207
>I'm so obsessed by my appearance and not being like other people, that I let it affect my life
Guess what faggot, you ARE a millennial hipster fuck
>treats it like a life support mechanism and wears it glued to their face at every opportunity
you don't have to, retard
>>
Well that's dumb. Stop it
>>
File: Page-3-SNBO-Pyle-Guide.jpg (36KB, 250x378px) Image search: [Google]
Page-3-SNBO-Pyle-Guide.jpg
36KB, 250x378px
>>2400290
When people talk about the Pyle Guide they are usually talking about this book.

It's a lot of very dry and abbreviated highly technical figures and reading and scribbles on birds measurements and molt characteristics. It was written by Peter Pyle, who has done a lot of work on trying to understand bird molts in North America. It's pretty much the bird bander's bible. There's also a Part II that covers shorebirds and hawks, etc., but when people say the Pyle Guide they generally mean Part I, which covers all your passerines and near-passerines..

It is not a book for birdwatchers.
>>
>>2400295

meant to respond to this too.

The book I use in the field is 504 pages, I'm not sure how many pages the Sibley Guide is in the second edition, but my first edition is 546.

But it's not really about page count, although that factors into the books general t'ickness, the dimension are the important part. Pulling measurements of my first edition Sibley with a measuring tape, it's 6 3/8'' x 9 3/4''. My field guide is 5'' x 8'', which is noticeably more compact. So I would say 5 x 8 is a pretty good size for a field guide.

Also, as a public service announcement, the second edition of the Sibley Guide had a really shitty first run. The printer did a huge disservice. The colors were off, especially the reds were really dark and poor and the font was thinner and shittier to read. This was alleviated in the second printing, but if you have a Sibley Guide second edition printed prior to July 2014 then you bought a bum copy.
>>
>>2400384
What I understood was the second edition only got released last year. I got mine in July and the first page says March 2016. Maybe it's just because it's Sibley Birds West and not the full thing.
>>
>>2400207
you sound like a judgemental old faggot OP. you got what you deserve missing out on the birb
>>
File: 1492877869391.webm (2MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1492877869391.webm
2MB, 640x360px
>>2400207
Just get a netbook if you want something smallish, but want a computer experience. I use mine with a small wifi dish all the time while /out/.
>>
>>2400207
>I don't have a cellphone because imaginary people that are as bitter as I am might make fun of me
>>
>>2400295
>I just don't see the need for people to be on Facebook 24/7 and be staring at it as they walk down the sidewalk and blindly out into traffic
You do realise that behaving like that isn't a requirement, right? It's YOUR phone, you can use it however much or little you like
>>
>>2400207
>i'm too special to be like others who are inferior compared to me
>others will like me because i shun things that normal people do to be different
>i will use terms that are archaic to display my superiority while lesser people use new popular words that more people understand

You seriously need to rethink your "style" anon.
>>
>>2400631
It doesn't matter what I do with it, just owning one automatically puts you into that group. Like if you wear a rainbow shirt, even if you're not gay you'll still be associated with them.
>>
>>2401481
Nigga you're on 4chan, you're a faggot automatically. Plus you sound like some incel faggot whining about imaginary, judgemental strangers. Do whatever the fuck you want. Nobody cares about you.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.