[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hamster thread?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_1575.jpg (956KB, 4032x3024px)
IMG_1575.jpg
956KB, 4032x3024px
Hamster thread
>>
File: IMG-20170523-WA0021.jpg (871KB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20170523-WA0021.jpg
871KB, 1836x3264px
>>2399176
How did you get your robo to be so trusty? I still have to handle mine like pic related
>>
File: fatty.jpg (28KB, 710x947px)
fatty.jpg
28KB, 710x947px
yes hello I got a hamster
>>
I just got a hamster.

>tfw want to pet him but know I need to wait

Some websites say 1-2 days and other say to wait a week. I'm just gonna let him chill for one more day and I'll try scooping him up. He's a big grey fluffy syrian, never had a boy one before so this should be interesting. His "skirt" is cute.
>>
>>2399472
Syrians are pretty chill, you should start letting him smell your hand about 3-4 days before buying it. He won't be as friendly as he can until he's fully confortable in his new home.
>>
File: IMG-20170605-WA0009.jpg (847KB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20170605-WA0009.jpg
847KB, 1836x3264px
>>2399261
Okay, I tried today and turned out pretty well. Say hi to Tim.
>>
>>2399261
let him bite you and don't react at all and he'll stop doing it
If you put him down when he bites you then he knows that gets the reaction he wants
>>
>>2399711
Yeah but when he realices biting me softly won't make me make a movement, he bites harder. I'm tired of small wounds on my fingertips.
>>
File: latest[2].png (123KB, 960x560px)
latest[2].png
123KB, 960x560px
>>2399712
Wear your hamster bites like battle scars!
Declare yourself the superior hamster!
>>
>>2399717
Do I have to bite his fingertips too to declare myself the alpha male?
>>
>>2399719
No you tickle his belly because that's a hamsters weak point
>>
>>2399720
Calm down Satan
>>
File: IMG_20160929_213300.jpg (2MB, 1728x3072px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160929_213300.jpg
2MB, 1728x3072px
>mfw have a 44" x 25" cage with a shitton of bedding and hides but my syrian is still bored and tries to chew the cage all night
does anybody have any suggestions for things to add to a syrian's cage to keep him busy? i.e good toys? it's annoying as fuck to listen to at night but I'm mostly bothered about how bored he probably is. at least with my gerbils I can just throw them a paper towel roll or something chewable and they're good to go but nothing seems to hold my hamster's attention
pic related
>>
>>2400078
Just buy a shit ton of hides and toys/chews/bridges and whatnot and switch everything out and change the set up every two days or so.

Does he have a wheel big enough for him to fun in? A plastic one twice the size of what he is is fairly quiet and will help him get rid of some energy and keep him busy if he's bored.

Also try and make a playpen with a cardboard box with a bunch of fun toys that you can put him in for about an hour a day, maybe dec it out with some plastic tubing from a pet store (not for permanent housing but just for the playpen where he can be supervised and if he starts to chew it take it away immediately).
>>
>>2400078
Toilet paper rolls. Always. Build shit with 'em, be sure to cut them alongside to make sure your hamster doesn't get stuck. He can also chew on them, they're harmless.
>>
>>2400162
I made a playground in a cardboard tray like this with slides, hides, tubes and shit. Had a beer case castle at one point too. Was quite successful in entertaining the mice but cardboard cutting is extremely tedious and I don't recommend anyone do it.
>>
>>2400263
If anon is willing to be tedious I'd recommend it.
I made hides and burrows for my hamster with cardboard before and thought it was fun (though I'm more of a crafts person so that's probably why).
>>
>>2399176
how do I get my dwarf to stop biting?
>>
>>2400509
Stop shoving your hand in his face
>>
>>2400162
i definitely need to change things up in the cage more often- a playpen sounds like a good idea, i don't mind tedious cardboard rodent shit so i'll try that out. i also want to look into maybe hamster proofing my bedroom to give him a bit of time to run around sometimes. i did quickly make a chamber house for him today so hopefully that helps

>>2400509
don't force him to interact if he doesn't want to. when you do try to interact and offer your hand try to avoid smelling like food or anything heavily scented. rub your hand in his bedding a little bit so you smell familiar. a good taming method is offering treats by hand so you could try that to start- wear a glove if you gotta. patience is key, but some hamsters, especially dwarfs, just aren't pets you can cuddle and you should be prepared for that if it's just how his personality is. my syrian is chill and doesn't mind being held but i've also known a lot of hamsters that never really warmed up to it,
if he's a new hamster you might just be jumping into handling a bit early. leave him be for a week or two to give him time to settle down/ get used to your voice and presence, then try to begin taming.
>>
>>2400509
>>2400543
also forgot to mention- if you have him in a cage like a crittertrail that's too small he could just be developing cage aggression. if this is the case just buy a bigger enclosure (those ikea bins people use are cheap,like 15 bucks) and he'll calm down and be more open to handling
>>
My sister's dwarf hamster died the other day, fucking sucks seeing her feel like shit.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.