[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wtf is this bug I've seen 5 of them in my house this week

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1

File: 20170604_154121.jpg (982KB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20170604_154121.jpg
982KB, 2560x1536px
Wtf is this bug I've seen 5 of them in my house this week
>>
>>2399034

That's a house scorpion. If you see one, then that means it was the smallest, and forced out into the light by the larger ones.

Expect there to be hundreds more, all twice that size, and their main source of food is human toes.

Good night.
>>
>>2399038
What makes that scarier is i accidentally stepped on one and that slut bit my toe
>>
>>2399040
its just a centipede anon, don't listen to that idiot. They eat other insects.
>>
>>2399038
you call them house scorpions? We just call them house centipedes here. They're pretty cool guys OP, leave them alone and they'll fuck up all the other bugs in your house. They're smart, but creepy as shit.

I let them live when I see them in the basement. If I see them upstairs they're dead because that is my territory.
>>
>>2399044
I've never seen centipedes like that. Of course I'm probably thinking of millipedes.
>>
>>2399046
He's just trying to pick with OP. They are just called house centipedes
>>
Common house centipede. They like to hang out in wet places like sinks/showers, and dark crevices. Harmless little fags.
>>
>>2399040
>Bit
Actually they sting. They "bite" with their front set of legs which are modified into stingers, not their fangs
>>
>>2399034
Scutigera coleoptrata – one of several species commonly known as the house centipede
>>
>>2399049
>millipedes
>googled that shit

Fuck FUCK now I feel itchy and really uncomfortable. Why are such things allowed to live on our planet? FUCK
>>
>>2399352
which are accessory mouthparts, called maxillipedes, so they do bite

>>2400107
did actually, literally, completely seriously, not know what a fucking millipede is?

holy shit
>>
>>2400107
they're slow dudes who just chill out and eat dead leaves
literally the most inoffensive bros on the planet
>>
>>2400107
Wait did you not know what a millipede was until now? How is that even possible?
>>
>>2399034
House centipede. It can bite, if you look closely at its head, it has fanged mandibles like all centipedes, but it's unlikely to mess with you. They are harmless.
>>
>>2400109
Nah bruh google it
>>
>>2399034
House centipede. Keep them because they eat silverfish, spiders, roaches, and other pests. It's not a fucking scorpion that other anon said who can't even identity properly.
>>
>>2400109
They're not accessory mouthparts, they are modified legs. They don't bite, they sting.
>>
>>2400438
They do absolutley bite you moron.
The "fangs" or whatever you'd want to call them are not modified legs.

I'm deep into tarantula keeping and centipede keeping. They don't sting.
>>
>>2400134
they can't bite their teeth won't break skin
>>
>>2400449
>They administer venom through modified legs (forcipules). These are not part of their mandibles, so strictly speaking they sting rather than bite.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scutigera_coleoptrata

Source:
The Biology of Centipedes
By J. G. E. Lewis
pp. 185–186.

Thanks, I'd rather stay with a myriapodologist who actually studied and authored books about the subject than an amateur keeper.
>>
>>2400438
>>2400460
Of course they are accessory mouthparts. They are modified extremities that function as an integral part of the mouthparts.
>>
>>2400465
That's your opinion on 4chan against an authored biology book.
>>
>>2400476
The maxillipeds of crustaceans are considered accessory mouthparts. I see no reason it should be different for Chilopoda.
>>
>>2400481
>>2400465
>proven wrong by the definitive source
>still arguing

submit a paper then faggot and have it published, until then you're wrong
>>
>>2400488
he's right you're wrong.

your fallacy is false dichotomy.

just because something is a modified leg does not prevent it from being an accessory mouthpart.

both are true, they aren't mutually exclusive.
>>
>>2400481
But it is different for Chilopoda.

>Forcipules are a unique feature found only in centipedes and in no other arthropods. The forcipules are modifications of the first pair of legs, forming a pincer-like appendage always found just behind the head. Forcipules are not true mouthparts, although they are used in the capture of prey items, injecting venom and holding onto captured prey. Venom glands run through a tube almost to the tip of each forcipule.

>Each trunk segment has one pair of legs. The first trunk appendages are modified as fanglike forcipules equipped with poison glands.

>Unlike millipedes (and pauropods) centipedes are trignathous and have three pairs of mouthpart appendages; mandibles, first maxillae, and second maxillae.
>not forcipules

>As modified legs, the forcipules comprise the same articles as the ambulatory legs

Sources:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centipede

https://web.archive.org/web/20100719085317/http://webs.lander.edu/rsfox/invertebrates/scutigera.html

Also, J.G.E. Lewis, page 4:

https://books.google.com.br/books?id=AEp22u6tJgsC&printsec=frontcover&hl=pt-BR#v=onepage&q&f=false
>>
>>2400492
Ok, but the discussion is about whether it stings or bites. If you have a pair of venomous legs attached to your neck and you attack other people with it, you don't bite, you sting. Even if it's so close to your mouth, you're not using your mouth.
>>
>>2400498
>Even if it's so close to your mouth, you're not using your mouth.
the anon's argument is that the legs are used as mouthparts so they're part of the mouth.

it's an issue of semantics, the professor is approaching it from homology while others have approached it from analogy.

Not that I care either way, just stopped in to point out that legs can be mouths just like arms can be wings and hands can be fins.
>>
>>2400113
t. millipede

I know you guys plotting something and I'm not about to be lulled into a false sense of security.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.