[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help with Neutered male, blocked.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (340KB, 1276x2048px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
340KB, 1276x2048px
Please help. Urinary Blockage problem.
Around the beginning of May, my cat Merlin (Neutered male, 1.5 yrs) got sick with what we thought was a UTI. We took him into the vet and were given a shot of Convenia, and Buprenorphene. His symptoms were straining in litter box and hissing/growling at us. He was okay for a while. On May 18th, he took a turn for the worse and the same symptoms came back, only worse. I could tell he was in extreme pain so we rushed him to the emergency vet. The vet drew some urine (straight from bladder with syringe) found bacteria and struvites but only a VERY small amount of struvites. He received another shot of Buprenorphene, a 14 day dose of Orbax, and Acepromazine 5mgs every 12 hours. We took him home and he was fine for 14 days. About two days after finishing the Orbax, everything hit him again. I could tell he was in extreme pain. At this point I was able to feel his bladder and it was very firm. We took him in, fearing he was blocked, and he was blocked badly. Our vet had to use a stainless steel tip to unblock him and "never had to use it before this". He got the catheter placed and flushed and he was immediately able to go. He stayed overnight. That was on Wednesday the 31st. He stayed, doing well (no blood, clear urine, only on fluids) Thursday night his CATHETER got blocked overnight. He was in pain all night with his bladder filling until the vet was able to flush it as soon as he came in that morning. I saw him a few hours later and I could tell he was in terrible pain. I held him for two hours, he peed all over me. He continued to do well on the catheter. Saturday morning (around 11am) his catheter was removed, in hopes he would be able to go. He couldn't. He strained all day, was given multiple meds to relax muscles and dissolve stones, nothing helped. Catheter was reinserted sometime later in the day, and he was able to go (it was inserted MUCH easier than the first cath attempt) and that was tonight.
>>
I asked about electrolytes because I was worried about his levels and the possibility of hyperkalemia. They ran the panel and his kidneys are functioning perfectly. I am worried sick about him. I have read every article out there, I am waiting for him to come home but he is not getting better.

Merlins normal diet is 1/4 cup Pure Balance Wild and Free dry food mixed with wet fancy feast medleys. (The half can) twice daily. (With added tablespoon of water.)

He drinks out of our cat water fountain daily.

Please, PLEASE comment with any opinions or advice. I have worked in this veterinary hospital before and I have seen cats come and go when they're blocked, but nothing like this.
>>
Bumping this thread with /can/
>>
This thread is slow as shit. You might not get replies for hours if not a day or two. Calm down

I don't really know what you want from us though. It sounds like you're doing all you can having brought him to the vet and getting him treatment
>>
>>2398236
It's fine. I'm just looking for any advice at all, if anybody else has been through something like this.
>>
I have known a cat or two with this issue. I think they discussed the option of having the cat's penis removed to help it pee? They were given a rx diet for the cat and he didn't have any more problems.
>>
>>2398468
The P/U surgery will most likely be discussed tomorrow but on Friday they told me they didn't feel like it's came to that point yet.
>>
>>2398468
forgot to say he will definitely be on a urinary diet most likely for the rest of his life. We are going through a few to try and find one he likes but he's not eating because he's so stressed.
>>
My cat Nicola went through a similar episode about five years ago. He ended up having to get surgery to completely clear out his bladder of all the stones that were causing blockages and was put on prescribed diet of Royal Canin SO Feline.

Not a single problem since then aside from when he gets bored with his food and tries to steal our other cats' food.
>>
>>2398968
How long was he cathed? When did they decide to do the surgery? Was a radiograph or ultrasound done?
>>
File: lqoHQ.jpg (99KB, 352x278px) Image search: [Google]
lqoHQ.jpg
99KB, 352x278px
OP i'm so sorry,...

but I've been waiting for ever to use this

>>2398468
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.