[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Animals and time

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_1081.jpg (14KB, 340x270px)
IMG_1081.jpg
14KB, 340x270px
Do you think it's possible to teach an animal to have a sense of time as we understand it? Or at least give them a general sense?
>>
>>2396058
Many animals (even fish) can be taught to recognize when something happens at a certain time of day. Anything less frequent than that but more frequent than seasonally (eg a week, month) is going to be very artificial, so there's less of a chance they'll understand it.
>>
> as we understand it
how?
>>
>>2396127
I'd assume
>seconds, minutes, hours, days, weeks, months, years

instead of
>morning, day, evening, night, moon cycles, seasons
>>
File: 45.jpg (35KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
45.jpg
35KB, 500x500px
Time is only important to us and a concept to us because we are aware that we will die.

Think about that. Only if an animal recognizes its mortality will it understand time. It might "understand" day and night and certain times of the day corresponding to food being given, but it does not understand time as a concept.
>>
>>2396058
No only sapient animals have a concept of time.
>>
My dog knows what time I get up every day. The few times I've forgotten to set my alarm he's usually trying to stick his nose in my armpit within five minutes of my usual wake up time.

He knows I don't let him out in the yard until the neighborhood kids are done walking to school (otherwise he'll bark like crazy).

He seems to know that I'm going to call him in again around 3 PM when school gets out, because he's usually knocking on the back door before I go out to call him in.

I say things like "Wait an hour" or "Wait ten minutes" often enough to him that he'll go off and lay down. Sometimes he guesses right on that amount of time.
>>
I always wondered if animals understand that things existed before they did. They can see other animals be born and die, do they realize that they will die too and before they lived other animals lived and died?
>>
>>2396058
I wa shrinking more like, if I told my dog to wait a little bit for a walk, would he understand that means roughly 10 minutes?
>>
>>2396835
That would require he understands English first.
>>
>>2396835
If you do it consistently enough, with time, yes.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.