[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

dog onion

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: onion-02.jpg (1MB, 3480x2436px) Image search: [Google]
onion-02.jpg
1MB, 3480x2436px
My dog ate small amount of onions is it ok?
info:
sauteed a diced onion in pan
removed almost all onions, left behind a few tiny pieces that i couldn't scrape
added a bunch (2 lbs?) of meat to pan
cooked the meat. I ate half the meat
Took the chunks of leftover meat and gave them to my 13 lb minipin and 70ish lb doberman. they didn't eat out of the pan, i took the chunks and put them into separate bowls

when i realized what i did i took away the food but they'd already eaten a few chunks of the meat each. would there be enough onion in the meat chunks to poison my dogs? i already gave them some vanilla ice cream and hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting successfully (both), but i didn't see meat chunks in the vomit. though the meat could have been chewed and mixed with the ice cream
>>
The Doberman should be fine. A dog that size would probably need to eat an entire onion, if not more, to get sick.

Keep an eye on the minpin. It sounds like they had just a few little bites of onion, which shouldn't hurt him. Onion isn't something where if a 100 pound dog has a tiny piece of diced onion they'll die in an hour.
>>
It's not that deadly on it's own unless in huge amounts. Yes it hurts their thyroid and such, but it's comparable to us humans and alcohol. How much you have and how long you have been having it will give a pretty good indicator of what you can expect to see in the future.

Now, if it were a huge bar of very dark chocolate or raisins, then I would say to watch your dog and possibly call up your vet.
>>
update from op
I've been watching both of the dogs closely ever since the incident.
Both have vomited multiple times. I saw multiple vomit piles from both dogs with all the meat chunks.
I cleaned the vomit piles up as soon as I encountered them so that neither would try to eat it again.
I'm pretty sure they both threw everything up.
They both vomited multiple times in multiple places. I'm waiting for them to stop throwing up before letting them back in.

I read up somewhere, apparently 5g garlic per lb of body weight is toxic to dogs, and onion is less toxic than that. I know that neither of them got close to that amount. I'm pretty relieved right now given that neither of them ate an apparently toxic amount, and both vomited everything they'd ate.

Right so. Just waiting for them to stop vomiting so I can give them baths. Then feed them their dinners in an hour or two. Thanks for the replies guys, helps my anxiety. Thanks
>>
>>2395518
Huh...I was about to ask why they were vomiting, but I just read it in your opening post.

Just for future reference, it's probably not a good idea to induce vomiting yourself. Even when dogs do something like eat anitfreeze, you need to get a hold of your vet first. Home remedies aren't always safe and you can likely cause more damage.

I'm sure your dogs are fine, but you really should just ask your vet about these types of emergency situations and what to do if you think they have eaten something poisonous.
>>
>>2395518
They're vomiting likely due to you giving them too much hydrogen peroxide. For future reference use 3% at 1-2 mL/kg body weight.

Toxic amounts of onion include 11-15 g/kg raw onion.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.