[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How responsible are you?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

Hey /an/, I'm a vet student and I have to do a little survey.
Just how often do you take your animals to the vet?
And does it have to be in a noticeable bad shape to take it to emergency or do you take them to a check up on the slightest abnormality?
Pic related, the thot patrol.
>>
I take my pets to the vet regularly (check ups once a year). And obv if it's in bad shape I take it immediately.
Cute bunnies, great patterns :)
>>
>>2394645

I have 3 dogs, 4 cats, 8 rabbits, 11 hamsters, and 2 ball pythons. I never take my animals to the vet and neither should you. It's not natural.
>>
My dog has a habit of getting lick granulomas that always require antibiotics no matter how hard I try to get him to fuck off of them. So I go every few months usually.

If he didn't have such bad luck I'd go just for vaccines, yearly checkups, and teeth cleaning, so it's probably be about 2-3 times a year.
>>
>>2394671
"Natural" does not mean "good" my friend, I have four bunnos all sterilized and because that way they can live a happier and healthier life
>>
>>2394679
Btw normally a vaccine can last 2-3 years, the "yearly vaccination" in a mith made up so we can earn more money
>>
>>2394699
I get a few more vaccines than standard because we live in an area at high risk for lepto/Lyme/a few others and a dog daycare I used required bordetella 2x a year
>>
From my teens to early 20s I brought home a rabbit, a puppy, and a kitten really irresponsibly and impulsively. I loved them at first sight but I know it wasn't smart. My rabbit is gone now but I still have my dog and cat.

I took them to the vet within my first week getting them and stayed on schedule with their shots and checkups ever since. I could barely pull the money together sometimes but I didn't want to be one of those people that brought a shit ton of animals home and then abandoned them.
>>
My cats over 10 years old now and I've brought it to the vet 2 or 3 times. Once to neuter it and maybe once or twice for vaccinations. I wont bring it to the vet again unless it's gravely ill or in a lot of distress. I've considered bringing my cat to the vet a couple times before when it started showing signs of respiratory infection or flu, but it has always cleared up before I do. My cat is kept indoors.
>>
>>2394645
I take my tegu once a month if he acts weird I take him once a week
>>
>>2394679
E-collar your dog & use anti-septics; start trying to figure out why your dog licks itself instead of treating the symptoms (food allergies, atopic dermaitis, etc). Misuse of antibiotics like that will cause trouble for you in the future.

>>2394699
Vaccines can last up to 7 years in some animals. And no, not just money- rabies vaccines are mandatory in a lot of states for public health.
Rabies- Vx at 4 months, revx in a 1 year and every 3 years after that.
DAP- Vx every 3-4 weeks until 16 weeks old--> vaccinate after 1 year--> vaccinate every 3 years.

>>2394731
This is plain stupid. Unless your cat has severe anxiety issues, you should take it to the vet yearly for bloodwork (esp geriatric animals). By the time it has a grave illness or in a lot of distress, it could have an irreversible disease and have to be euthanized. Ignore the upper infection signs unless your cat starts snoring or bleeding or coughing gets worse. It's likely FHV reactivated by stress.

I would take my dogs in for anything I thought was off or worrisome. Puppy had a mass that looked like a histiocytoma or worst case, mast cell tumor. Got an FNA- histiocytoma and then it went away. My dog was hiding and vomited/had diarrhea after chewing his toys-- ER visit that night and he got better before the vet got to us.
>>
The GSD, who is nearly nine, goes to the vet every three months, give or take a week, for a long-term pain management injection which he has been having for the past four years. He will go more often if he gets sick, like when he had gastro last month I took him to the vet even though he'd just been the week before. A couple of years back I was at the vet with him once a month for the first half of the year. This year I've had a lump checked for cancer and his eyes checked for cataracts as well as the usual check-up things.

The Akita mix, five and healthy, goes annually for vaccinations and a general health check up, but will go if an emergency crops up, like the time he broke a canine tooth and had to have it capped.

Both dogs are weighed every one or two months, so I pop in to the vet office and put them on the scales just to make sure everything is as it should be.

The cats go annually for vaccinations and a check up unless they are visibly unwell. The younger cat, seven, has had sore hips for the past few months and we're starting to suspect arthritis. We've already taken him to the vet once and he had a short course of painkillers, but he's still not walking great and has pain when you manipulate his back legs, so we're taking him back. We also take them to the vet ASAP in case of emergency. When the older cat, ten, dislocated his toe last year, he was at the vet getting it fixed under anaesthesia the very same day.

>>2394816
My GSD has topical environmental allergies, so I have him on Apoquel, and I'm no longer bandaging his feet every other week. But he also has ongoing problems with small intestinal dysbiosis, so he's a lifer on tylosin (a poultry and swine antibiotic used offlabel in dogs with gut issues.) I recently got 1kg of tylosin powder because it was more economical than getting it 100g at a time. If he doesn't have it, his SID gets terrible and he runs the risk of getting haemorrhagic gastroenteritis again.
>>
If it's anything more than a day of something being "wrong" in some way that's not making them act very lethargic/effected, I'll consider taking them. If it worsens or lasts more than a couple of days, I will take them in.

Some super sketchy things like growths on the face.

Any deep wound.

I don't do annual checkups or vaccinations besides what is required. They get flea meds when the season/location calls for it, and dewormed periodically.

I regard them similarly to livestock.
>>
>>2394816
Problem with the e collar is his snout is too long and his neck is too slender. I know why it happens; he licks when he's bored in the winter and it's too blizzardy for him to play for a long time + we still have to go to work. We've got antiseptic but it doesn't do much when it's already so deeply infected.
>>
Dog goes in every 6 months for his heartworm shot and gets his vaccines every other trip. Cat goes once a year to get his shots as well.

We've only needed one unexpected vet visit when the cat's tail got caught in a door and skinned. We immediately brought the cat in and got it amputated. No problems with either one since
>>
>>2394645
I'm American. I don't even take myself to the doctor unless I absolutely need to. But I take my doggo to the vet every year for a check up but I think it's a waste. All they ask if my doggo is acting strange, which it isn't, if it was then I would have taken it to the vet. Poor dog can't talk so I never know if it's suffering.
>>
We had a dog once that started to get a rapid growth on her face, and our vet said they couldnt check for anything without it costing 500+ dollars. You cant even get an x-ray without it costing that much. Its ridiculous. However, Id like to take my cats in once yearly, but just a checkup can cost 100 dollars, esp with shots and vaccinations.
>>
I have two dogs. Both of them get a yearly visit to keep up to date on shots and heartworm meds as well as a general check up.

I do exams at home pretty much every day, and if I find something concerning, in to the vet they go asap.

Small wounds I treat at home so long as I know what caused it and it's something I can take care of, so pretty much scratches and the rare hot spot gone bad. I've taken them to the vet for lumps (they both ended up with fatty tumors, but hey, they're 13 and 16 years old. Not bad for a 80 and 50 pound dog respectively), a UTI, a puncture on a paw, and kennel cough right after I adopted one of them.
>>
>>2394671
Dogs and cats should go to the vet. Hope one of them gets parvo or lepto someday and they all die horrible deaths on you ;) hope you get the lepto too maybe oooh that should be good
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.