[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Advise - Street Pupper

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 13

File: Solis.jpg (688KB, 1396x1688px) Image search: [Google]
Solis.jpg
688KB, 1396x1688px
Hey /an/

I found this Pupper near a trash bin yesterday, she has no collar or chip. I own a bit of land and do not mind taking care of her. The thing is, I am not very experienced with dogs.

I am hoping you guys could help me figure out some things like

>Age
>Breed
>Exercise requirements
>How big can I expect this doggy to get? Labrador size?
>Best diet to ensure she grows big and strong

And in general, any tips for a new dog dude.
>>
Take it to the vet and have it checked for diseases/parasites etc. Make sure you didn't bring a zoonotic disease vector into your home.
>>
>>2394355

Alright, that's pretty sensible. I am planning to take her to the vet this week, to add a chip too and see if she needs any vaccines. I checked her and I wasn't able to find any bugs.
>>
Bump

I am willing to take more pics if the ones provided are too shitty.
>>
>>2394360
We can't tell from pictures especially for street mutts.
Your vet will be able to tell you an approximate age by looking at the teeth and stuff.
Looks old enough to already have a chip, maybe, though.
Also check poop for worms.
>>
4-7 year old Australian Shepherd
>>
File: Dog teeth.jpg (911KB, 2592x1456px) Image search: [Google]
Dog teeth.jpg
911KB, 2592x1456px
>>2394378

I'll check for worms in poop and take her to the vet asap. Kinda looks a bit like an Australian Shepherd, no?

>>2394380

I've read online 1 to 1.5 year old dogs have tar tar in their teeth, hers are pretty white. She is also just 0'.6'' tall.
>>
What's her temperament like, op?
>>
>>2394353
how exactly did you know there was no chip?
>>
>>2394406
Thanks for the teefies. Good call, totally a pupper. Permanent teeth so probably barely a year
>>
File: WP_20170531_006.jpg (1MB, 2592x1456px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20170531_006.jpg
1MB, 2592x1456px
>>2394452

Super friendly, obidient, loves to cuddle and very polite/not impulsive. I took her out to jog with me this evening, I have no idea how to teach her the basics yet but besides that, she never gets away from me.

>>2394461

I was told yesterday that one could check for the chip by looking at the belly for any blue spots. But I just learned that's not necessarily true, so I'll just try to get her to a vet asap

>>2394462

How much can I expect her to grow giving her the best nutrition possible and decent exercise? Any chance she might large enough to be a dog guard without looking laughable?
>>
>>2394462
>>2394493

Also, thanks for the info. I appreciate it.
>>
>>2394493
Have you attempted to find an owner? A dog this obedient definitely belonged to someone who loves it
>>
>>2394644

Nope, she didn't have a collar and I really don't know how I might find the owner unless the dog has a chip. I pretty much live in the mountains.
>>
You probably want to consider whether you're going to get it spade or neutered, especially if it's going to be a guard dog (which means an outdoor dog, I'm assuming).

Start giving it simple commands, make sure it learns to go to the bathroom outside, can sit, and isn't aggressive, then move onto broader stuff. Cute pup. Def looks like its got a bit of aus shepherd in her or some other type of shepherding dog. I wouldn't expect it to get that much bigger if that's true, but tough to tell from pics.
>>
Assuming vet will confirm no chip/no owner, here's my assessment:

From those pictures, she looks a little skinny for her size. Can you see her hip bones sticking out of her butt? Can you feel all her ribs without much pressure? If so, get her on a high quality food asap and supplement it with raw (or cooked, your choice) eggs, a little bit of nonfat cottage cheese, or nonfat plain yogurt. It'll encourage her to eat more if she's picky. The dogfoodadvisor website is good to find a quality food in your budget.

Get her on a heartworm medication at the very least. It's up to your vet/climate if you can get away with not giving a flea medication, but you said mountains and I assume you at least have some ticks up there so it's not a bad idea.

She looks pretty young with that coat texture (puppy fur is very downy) and those white teeth. Maybe even less than a year, but a vet would give a better estimate.

Check her stool every day for at least a week. Can't remember about other worms, but tapeworms take 7 days to be come out and visible in the stool so she could have them and you wouldn't know just yet.

Find out how old she is and then start taking her out every x hours for every x months of age. 7 mos - 7 hrs, 8 mos - 8 hrs. Once she's an adult 8 hours is the longest she should have to hold it--she could probably go a little longer but it's sucks to do so.

This is all assuming you don't find an owner, OP. A pretty, well-mannered girl like that is likely missed.
>>
>>2394659
>get it spade
why not get it shoveled?
>>
File: 1.jpg (87KB, 408x408px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
87KB, 408x408px
>>2394659
>>2394665

I'll take her to the vet and see what she/he has to say. I get the nagging feeling I've seen this dog before.

5 months ago while jogging down the road I approach the house of one of my neighbors, he's got a lot of sheep and this little mischief one escaped, so I grabbed the little furball and made her go inside. I remember a little dog playing around with the sheep, maybe that's the same dog but I really can't remember.
Thing is, I almost shot this neighbor once, after he betrayed our trust by planting Marijuana in my land while we were living abroad for a couple years (he told me he just wanted to plant tomatoes and other vegs because he's land wasn't fertile). After I found out and asked him to remove the plants immediately, he threaten to cut our heads, so I waited for him to come by my with an old hunting rifle. As soon as he saw me, he got spooped, calmed down and we agreed he'd take his shit and fuck off. That was 3 years ago, and considering this guy got jailed for throwing explosives to little kids, I doubt he's gotten any tamer.
This is going to be fun....
>>
>>2394659
>>2394681

In case she's got no chip, and she's not neutered already. I will not do it for now. Seems to be overly cruel, and considering I am buying and installing fences all around my property just so I don't have to keep her on a leash, definitely unnecessary.
>>
>>2394709
If that's the case this guy may not be fit to own the dog. Like another anon pointed out it looks a bit skinny, could be malnourished, and have the vet take a look for parasites, fleas, etc. If this animal isn't getting the treatment it deserves maybe you can get custody of it or just avoid your neighbor (steal the dog).
>>
>>2394353
Definitely puppy. I'd say no older than 8 months of age. Definitely an Aussie.
(for future advice take pictures of her teeth from the side not the inside of her mouth)

She will need DAP, Rabies, and dewormer (pyrantel).

Future: test her for heartworm disease (4dx test) after she is 8 months of age but in the meanwhile get flea/tick/HW prevention (revolution, sentinel, etc).
And no >>2394665, faggot, you don't have to supplement raw/cooked eggs/cottage cheese/yogurt. Plain puppy chow is fine.

For her breed, she can be spayed anytime after 6 months and before 1 year (reduces chances of mammary carcinomas and uterine carcinomas/infections (pyometras) however mammary carcinomas are typically cureable it's just pyos that are worrisome (and overpopulation).
>>
>>2394722
>>2394665

I apologize, I forgot to answer to some of your statements.

Yes, I can easily feel her ribs. I haven't noticed if her hipbones are pronounced due to all the butt hair she's got. Today I went out to buy her premium quality food (Royal Canin) and I've also been feeding her brown rice with boiled carrots and chicken. She seems to be eating well. Also got her an anti parasite collar, dog shampoo and a leash. I'll definitely keep an eye out for worms in her stool, and hopefully visit the vet at max, 3 days from now.

If my crazy neighbor is indeed the owner, I'll be surprised that he bothered putting a chip in the dog. That guy lives with rats, but who knows, he might have a soft heart for doggos despite his psychopathy for humans. I'll see if I can talk with his son, he seemed more reasonable, and as far as I remember he had some health issues so he might need the dog more than I do.
-
Now, there's just one thing I noticed about the dogger and is that she never really leaves her spot and go explore on her own. She seems to have a very good sense of where the boundaries of our territory are. Like I said, I have no fences and she stays outside, no problems whatsoever. I doubt she escaped my neighbor, but I'll find out.
>>
>>2394723

Noting it down, much appreciated.

I would like to ask you, If she's an Aussie, or a mutt of it. I take it she's a Medium sized dog and won't reach her full frame until she's around 12 to 15 month old?
>>
Get on facebook and look for a local lost pets group and local rescue/shelter pages and post on her on there.
>>
>>2394736

She looks full bred Aussie. I wouldn't say she has any other prominent dog breed in her.
She will be a bit high energy.
She will probably be up to 40-60 pounds depending on frame. She is going to be a medium dog-- probably 2 feet. And I would say she would probably be full sized around then, yes. Maybe even a little prior.
>>
File: pup.jpg (44KB, 476x450px) Image search: [Google]
pup.jpg
44KB, 476x450px
>>2394774

>She will be a bit high energy.

Excellent, if she stays around I'll have a good companion for jogging and hiking.

>She is going to be a medium dog-- probably 2 feet

That's great news, but it is normal that she's only 0.6 feet tall at withers? (might have measured it wrong, so I'll definitely try again). Perhaps her grow has been stunted?

I am probably asking questions too difficult to figure out with just a bunch of crappy pictures, so thank you for bearing with me, I am a complete dogger noobie.

>>2394763

I checked Facebook, a forum for lost dogs in my area and a search website. I haven't found anything. I'll ask my crazy neighbor and check for chip. If I cannot find the owner then, I'll just keep her.
>>
>>2394763

>post her on there

Hey guys? Anyone lose this 100$ bill?
>>
>>2394804

Yep, that's what I was thinking too. If she is indeed a full bred Aussie then I am sure she's gotta have a chip. If not, then I don't see why I should risk losing her to someone trying to snatch a free cool doggie.
>>
>>2394797

Well it's possible that she's younger than we are aging, it's possible she has had poor nutrition which could stunt growth.
Are you sure she's not taller than that? A chihuahua can be that size.

There are mini aussies- but she doesnt LOOK like one but she could be.
>>
>>2394806
1. Ask for proof of ownership like pics and vet records in your post

2. Look through the post and look for a lost dog post about the dog

This shit ain't that complicated.

Most people don't get their dogs microchiped pure or not and she doesn't look pure to me anyway.
>>
>>2394824

If they don't have her chipped and they aren't the ones actively posting/looking for her than they don't deserve her back.
>>
>>2394808

Yep, you're absolutely right. I got it wrong. She's actually 34cm tall (1'1'') at from the front left paw to the shoulder blade.

>>2394824

I have enough work of my own to go around looking for the owner. My priorities now are making sure the dogger is fine, and finding out if she's got a chip.
>>
>>2394734
>premium quality food
>Royal Canin
Ah.
>>
>>2394856

Is it not? I am open to suggestions
>>
>>2394857
It's really shit, typically anything you find in a supermarket is shit.
If you want quality kibble or wet food, look there:
www.dogfoodadvisor.com
If you really want quality food, you're going to have to find good raw or cook for your dog yourself.
>>
>>2394863

>cook for your dog yourself.

I doing mind doing that, sounds like it'll likely be cheaper too. Thanks for the source.
>>
>>2394869
Ask the vet for recipes or tips before you start doing that, or ask if he knows a dog nutritionist in the area.
>>
>>2394870

Alright, I will.

I am off to sleep now, thanks all for the help.
>>
File: 1455764944722.png (246KB, 500x555px) Image search: [Google]
1455764944722.png
246KB, 500x555px
Hey, OP here.

I've found Wanted noticed of the dogger near the garbage bin I found her. My parents are very reluctant to give her back, claiming that she probably escaped due to abuse, but I find that unlikely judging by how well behaved and social the dog is.

I'll probably be giving her back to the owner tomorrow.
>>
>>2396123
Fuck ;-;
If you end up giving her back,
You should go adopt a furry friend from the local shelter. It sounds like you were excited to have a dogger and your family didnt want to give her up.
>>
>>2396123
Nah, if she escaped due to abuse,she'd likely have been more fearful. Not well-mannered and clean like she appeared.

You're a good guy OP. If you were seriously considering her, why not consider another dog from the shelter/a rescue? You can sometimes find one just as polite.
>>
>>2396130
>>2396141

Yeah, I might do that. I am going to miss this trash dogger a lot though. Hopefully the owner will treat her well.
>>
File: 1495070327250.jpg (25KB, 650x440px) Image search: [Google]
1495070327250.jpg
25KB, 650x440px
What breed would you guys recommend to someone who needs a guard dog, but also a companion to jog. Medium to large size. If possible, neither a dog that barks too much or drools.
>>
>>2396153
Cane corsos have long legs that are good for jogging/running, but they do drool in the summer months. its nothing crazy though
>>
>>2396150
a lot of local shelters have facebook pages, search around a little, look at some photos, read some bios, and see if anybody stands out to you. Garbagepup sounds like she came from a good home, and im sure she'll be just fine, and I'm sure she'll always appreciate you letting her into your home for a couple days.
>>
>>2396324
>>2396326

Alright, thank you for the recommendations. I suppose most dogs can be trained to have a good temperament, even if I don't adult a puppy or a junior?
>>
>>2396331

>even if I don't adopt a puppy or a junior?

FTFM
>>
>>2396331
honestly adult puppers can sometimes be easier because their personalities have already been formed. and sometimes they come pre-house broken and already knowing a command or two. thats what happened with the Rottweiler we adopted from the shelter and she was only 2 when we got her
>>
File: 1456695457266.jpg (23KB, 482x453px) Image search: [Google]
1456695457266.jpg
23KB, 482x453px
So I called, and it turns out I was right. The TrashPup belongs to the crazy neighbor I almost shot once.
>>
File: 1453421558720.png (333KB, 357x346px) Image search: [Google]
1453421558720.png
333KB, 357x346px
>>2396974

So, I know this guy is crazy and lives off stealing food and equipment from farmers around the area, grows and sells weed but the dog doesn't show signs of having been abused, and the guy has a herd of sheep (probably for the government agricultural handouts) this type of dog was meant to take care off, which likely means she'll be more entertain.
What would you do?
>>
>>2396974
Don't give it back. Tell them it escaped your grasp and jumped out the car.
>>
>>2396974
Take more pics of how bony she is
>>
File: dog days of despair.jpg (138KB, 716x768px) Image search: [Google]
dog days of despair.jpg
138KB, 716x768px
>>2396974
Did you tell him you have the dog, confirm it was his in any way? If not, or if there's any wiggle room to get out of it (i.e. someone else came over with pics, it was actually their dog, sorry!), don't return her. From what you've said, he's unstable scum and liable to hurt the dog, neglect any medical treatment she may come to require or abandon her next time he gets locked up. Her best chance is with you.
I fucking despise nigging doggos from good homes, but this is the sort of fucker who can never be entrusted with anything.
>>
File: 1456576748604.jpg (135KB, 500x521px) Image search: [Google]
1456576748604.jpg
135KB, 500x521px
>>2397029
>>2397066
>>2397334

I have not yet returned the dog, and I am not sure I plan to anymore, mostly because I remembered that one time he came to my house, and tried to push one of the stray cats we feed into the pool. Although, I am starting to question if I should keep her too.
-

You see, I am busy most of the time. I can afford to give the dog one hour of intense exercise everyday but then I need to get back into my projects, and it worries me a lot that the dog just sits outside sleeping and doing nothing, waiting for me. I know these types of dogs are meant to have a job to do herding sheep around, not just waiting all day long for a bit of exercise....
-

I might consider talking to some of the friendly Shepards around the area, to see if they might like to take her in. What are your thoughts? Is it normal that the doggie just stays outside waiting, instead of playing or sniffing around the land? Could a toy keep her entertained?
>>
>>2397066

I'll take some more pictures come the morning (4h from now) and post them, sorry for the delay.
>>
File: 1495526465091.gif (2MB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1495526465091.gif
2MB, 200x200px
>>2394648
>Some random hacker known as 4chan successfully kidnap some poor kid's puppy
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (175KB, 1920x1079px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
175KB, 1920x1079px
>>2399015

>You wouldn't download a dog
But that's where you are wrong, kiddo.
>>
>>2394353
Have you tried calling her by random names? Maybe she might respond to one already.
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.