[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Too Small to Own a Large Dog?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

File: bowie.jpg (48KB, 639x626px) Image search: [Google]
bowie.jpg
48KB, 639x626px
I'm 5'0" and 100 lbs. I want to own an Akita like I grew up with. Can a person be too small to safely own a dog? How much is too much for someone my size?

One of my biggest fears is my dog becomes too sick or injured to walk, and I'm the only one around to carry it, which I may not be able to do.
>>
>>2393917
It'll be nearly half your height. I wouldn't do it. Especially if it gets jumpy.
>>
>>2393917
If it's something you want go hit the gym until you can handle it.
If little adolescent farm girls can carry over 100lbs on their shoulders I'm pretty sure almost anyone is capable of learning.
>>
The bigger problem is you not being able to hold it back if it decided it wanted to fuck something up. If you want it to work out you need to be METICULOUS with your training
>>
>>2393917
akitas are one of those dogs that always get pegged as dangerous in bsl (so is the gsd but it's popularity means including it would insta kill the bill)

so you have a dog with aggressive tendencies that would basically the same size as you, in a moment where instinct overtakes training and socialization would you be able to restrain it?
>>
>>2394050
This would be my worry, too. They say that dogs have an advantage of factor 2 when it comes to putting their weight to use, as a rough estimation. Im 170 lbs and can hold my old, 75 lbs shepherd just fine, but a 90 lbs rottweiler was more than I could handle.

The only way I could see this working out is with a breed that is known to be really cool and well-mannered. Thinking of Bernese Mountain Dogs.
>>
>>2394341
it's about leverage man, you weren't positioning yourself right, I used to walk a 180lb bull mastiff and was able to maintain and pull it back even though I only weighed about 185lbs at the time.

you also have to pay attention to what's going on with a dog that big though, if it catches you off guard you're going for a ride.
>>
I average around 106lbs, 130lbs at most. Have handled larger dogs, mostly great danes but they aren't known to be as aggressive or hard to handle like akitas and despite my lack of height and weight I've subdued hell-bent german shepherds and just barely and poorly an english mastiff(wasn't aggressive but had to corral it). Helps that I am extremely physically active.

For any large breed you need to get a handle of them as early as you can. I would highly suggest puppy and training classes. Akitas are well known to be dog aggressive and a pain in the ass to train(as most Jap breeds are). I wouldn't recommend them to a strength trainer, let alone someone small and tiny. They need a firm hand always, and it's going to give you problems if you can't devote enough time socializing it often. Even with training, an akita may be aloof and extremely cautious of strangers. You would have to map your life around what it's ok and not ok with because even with training its tolerance may vary.
>>
>>2393917
R u a girl?
I guess a golden retriever would be best for you if you want a dog that isnt chiuaha
But then again I'm just a nopets larping faggot on 4chan
One day I will have a golden retriever and a German Shepherd
>>
>>2393917

Are you a man?
>>
>>2394413
>>2394458
I'm Danny DeVito posting on 4chan about dogs.

Of course I'm a woman.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
>>2394413
patrician taste anon (though only the golden in this pic is mine)
>>
>>2393917
>One of my biggest fears is my dog becomes too sick or injured to walk, and I'm the only one around to carry it, which I may not be able to do.

I've seen parents pull their sleepy small children behind them in a wagon during summer fairs a lot, get one of those pull-along-wagons.

If you are going to get a big dog, it's best to get one as a puppy and raise it proper, enroll it in a training class and all that. Shelter dogs need love but they are also ticking time bombs that needs special homes without children or small people who can't handle them.
>>
File: puggy-devito.jpg (133KB, 971x755px) Image search: [Google]
puggy-devito.jpg
133KB, 971x755px
>>2394490
>danny devito
>100 lbs
nigga
>>
>>2394655
Was referring to height, since between it and weight, it's the one that can't fluctuate.
>>
>>2393917

Lift with your legs, dumbass.
>>
>>2393917
Honestly? I think an Akita is an unwise choice for a 100 lbs. owner. It's not just their size, but their temperament, too. Like you said, if this dog is injured badly, are you going to be able to pick it up? If it attacks a smaller dog or child, are you going to be able to restrain it? Not saying you'd be foolish to consider one, but think about what's fair for the animal. It's like when a workaholic chooses a very active breed.
>>
>>2393917
>One of my biggest fears is my dog becomes too sick or injured to walk, and I'm the only one around to carry it, which I may not be able to do.

This could fall under two things:
1. Your dog is unable to carry itself due to temporary injury or sickness.

See:
http://www.dog-first-aid-101.com/lift-and-move-your-dog.html

2. Your dog isn't capable of walking itself to a reasonable degree anymore. Euthanasia would be the most humane answer for their quality of life at this point.
>>
>>2396536
Physical ability should limit domestic pets.

Do you think every horse owner restrains their animal by brute force? Of course not, it's training.

Train your dog and understand his/her limits so you never have to deal with having to physically overpower the animal.
>>
Get stronk u weak fuck and carrying it won't be an issue
Also if you train them right jumping and pulling won't be an issue
>>
>>2393917
Wat? You could own a fucking mammoth of a dog if you wanted. It's all about training it. You being the pack leader. It's not a meme. Dogs don't care how tall you are. The fuck? Have you never seen a chihuahua bully a pit bull before? Just properly train your pup. The first 1-2 years matter the most. If it's older, there's still hope. What are you worried about? That the dog is going to pin you down and rape you? Your big dog will be fine. If you're worried about it getting sick and having to carry it, then buy something to help you. Like a dolly. xD
>>
>>2394490
NICE TRY, DANNY.
>>
>>2396555

I didn't say it would be a mismatch, but it very well could be. OP needs to consider it carefully.
>>
>>2394364
This
Remember to pull up, not back, dont let him drop his head down or he will drag you around
If he loses traction on his front legs it will be alright
Granted it will look terrifying having a huge dog losing its shit on its hind legs, but its far more manageable than having it literally dragging you like a plow
>>
>womanlet
>owning a dominant breed which can be territorial with strangers, aggressive with other dogs and significantly outweigh you
Jumping on the 'needs serious training' wagon here. If you aren't all over it with obedience and exposure to strangers, public places, other dogs and small animals, and ensure that it will obey you no matter the situation, there will 100% come a time when you lose control of it on a walk and it hurts someone or gets itself hurt. If you can't commit to rigorous and extended training, don't get it.
I'd recc a smaller dog, or at the very least a female akita so you have a hope of outweighing it.
>>2394341
>reccing a breed that averages 7 years
and >>2394364 is right, I'm 200lbs (30lbs of that being fat) with no muscle and I have no issue holding back my 120lbs malamute - barrel-chested muscly dogs bred to haul - once I correct my stance for it.
He's dragged my 5'1" 110lbs mother around with ease after catching sight of something to chase, however, which is likely how OP would get along with an untrained akita.
>>
>>2393917
They call him the diamond dog
>>
Akita are too big and aggression prone to own if you have any doubts about your ability to control them. Retrievers, setters, and other sporting dogs can be a problem as they can pull and weigh enough to yank you around.

Greyhounds are large, long lived, and can be pretty chill. Not good with cats and small dogs sometimes. Or you could go much smaller with a english bulldog or a corgi.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.