[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fucking fleas

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: insecthitler.jpg (10KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
insecthitler.jpg
10KB, 259x194px
Hey /an/ all three of my cats have fleas and they're driving me crazy. Obviously they've had fleas before but it's never gotten out of control like it has now. I have one outdoor cat and she's the one that brings them in, but as soon as I notice she has them, I treat all of them (flea pill, then next day spot on treatment and flea bomb the house,washing all fabric...) and an outbreak has never lasted more than a week.

While the outdoor cat is being treated, she's kept inside until she's clean and the repellent is working to ensure she doesn't bring in more straight away.

I don't know if it's the sudden hot weather we're having in the UK is to blame, or the treatments I use just aren't effective any more for whatever reason but it's become a real uphill battle and the little fuckers just aren't dying.

I've used frontline spot on, 4fleas pills and 4fleas flea bombs. I've tried advantage but can't remember if it was any good...also tried beaphar products, flea powder...
What active ingredient is the best in your opinion? What products work for you?

tl;dr
>cats have fleas, do not want
>>
>>2392296
Had this problem with my cat OP, he liked to go outside but would attract many fleas which then spread to our other indoor pets. He was also allergic to the flea bites so we stopped letting him out altogether. But your doing what you should, treat them and also vacuuming helpsas well. Problem is with multiple pets they spread like wildfire and are annoying to deal with. Keep at it OP if it doesn't die down in about a week youll prolly have to wait till the weather changes for them to be completely gone.
>>
>>2392316
Thanks dude, yeah I am vacuuming every day but still...I think my only other option is to ask a vet if they can suggest anything else. I think the outdoor cat could get prescribed a flea collar (not a shop-bought one) when she's allowed back outside, which might help?
>>
>live in desert
>never get fleas or ticks
feels good man
>>
>>2392318
Vet will probably suggest pill or the collar. We were unlucky with the collar because of my cat also having a reaction to that, but I understand your situation all to well. Fleas are absolute bastards especially if the situation is really bad they love to bite the shit out of your legs and makes you uneasy all day.

We've had mixed results with the treatments, but it was so bad one year we didn't see a slow down until early October till it started getting a little colder out. I think i remember they don't like garlic or cedar wood as well, could try putting by doors or areas your pets are around.

Good luck!
>>
>>2392321
Lucky bastard

>>2392324
I'm willing to try pretty much anything at this point so I'll give it a go. Thanks anon, I'll need godly luck at this point
>>
Get a pan of hot, soapy water. Put a light bulb above it (like the ones you use for growing weed or keeping reptiles.) The heat from the bulb will make the fleas jump into the bowl and die in the water. It's freaky how many you can catch this way.
Do you have crumpled blankets or clothes on your floor? Wash that shit, fold it and keep it off the ground. They lay their eggs in it. Vacuum your rugs and take the bags outside afterward (fleas will escape).spread diatomaceous earth on the carpet (just don't let kitties breath in the dust.)
Spray insect repellent on your legs. Most fleas will sit in wait for you so when you get up or first walk into a room, so check your legs in the morning.
There's also this horse stuff that you can apply to yourself to kill bed bugs. Maybe it works for fleas, too.
My best option is to just take a cat, dose it, then keep it in the problem area for a few days. Fleas will all bite it and die.
They also don't like the cold. In fact they require very high temperature and humidity to hatch their eggs. Consider amping up the AC and purchasing a dehumidifier. The eggs can lay dormant for months, though.
>>
OK OP trust me this is how to fix the issue.

Understand they breed and put their invicible little eggs all over the place. Nothing will kill those. They hatch, they feed on scraps, they form a pupae that will mature and sit waiting until it senses warmth and movement, at which point the adult flea explodes out to grab onto you. The eggs and pupae are chemically hard to kill, so you need to target the larvae and adults.

Larvae: Insect Growth Regulator is basically hormone therapy that makes them mutate and not properly mature, preventing them from forming pupae. I get a small vial of Precor IGR and mix it with water, then spray this on every cloth like surface in your house where the eggs will live, so the entire carpet, all furniture, cat beds, some corners for good measure. Vacuum first to reduce the amount of larvae and eggs there are. After 30 minutes the stuff is dry and won't harm your animals or your, and it lasts for a few years I believe.
PRODUCT: methoprene, brand name Precor IGR, find a tiny bottle on Amazon and follow the directions to mix up a gallon of spray, use a spray bottle

Adults: You can kill the adults on the animal by feeding it pills, the stuff gets into their bloodstream, fleas drink it, adults die. Because you are interrupting the brood cycle, you give them one round of pills to kill the adults just after you did the above IGR chemical treatment, then give them another round 3 weeks later to get any of the pupae that were still in home (already formed thus unaffected by the chemical).
PRODUCT: Nitenpyram, brand name Capstar | find it on Amazon and get whatever amount/dose is right to treat all your cats twice.

So basically: Prevent flea eggs from being able to mature -> Kill adult fleas on animal -> The rest have emerged and are on your animal after another 3 weeks so kill them again, no new ones will be formed

You still let your cat outside though so you're just gonna keep having this issue.
>>
>>2392343
I've tried putting a bowl of hot soapy water down but I didn't use a bulb, so I'll also try it with that.
Yeah I wash all the bedding and ban the cats from the bedroom, but somehow they're still getting under the covers and biting me ugh...all our floors are hardwood so at least I dont have carpets. Where would I buy the DE stuff?
>>
>>2392455
Really appreciate the info anon, I'll try my best. And yeah, I know keeping the outdoor cat inside would be my best bet to reduce future outbreaks but I'm hoping once I've got it under control, I can keep on top of it with a repellent.
>>
>>2392491
You could spray your lawn with stuff to kill insects, not the Precor because it will wash off but some general purpose insecticide. I personally like having insects, so I think at least doing the inside of your place with Precor will prevent fleas from breeding *inside* your house, then use whatever mitigation you want for the ones kitty picks up outside.

A flea comb is your friend. If your cat is a bather so much the better. Regular brushing and then random treatment with Capstar when it gets bad. Idk much about the collars other than a lot of people's cats have bad reactions.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.