[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Nitrogen asphyxiation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 1434581752529.png (194KB, 816x395px) Image search: [Google]
1434581752529.png
194KB, 816x395px
I'm looking to start keeping chickens with the aim of developing own breed of dual purpose fowl. In the interest of keeping things as humane as possible I want to kill them using nitrogen asphyxiation. Does anyone here have experience with using it?
>>
File: 1472399325935.jpg (7KB, 232x263px) Image search: [Google]
1472399325935.jpg
7KB, 232x263px
>>2392062
>Does anyone here have experience with using it?
Probably won't get a lot of responses.
>>
Ive only researched it for use on myself.
>>
>>2392062

Just snap their necks. It's far cheaper, easier and more humane.

Just in terms of legislation... The laws in regards to killing chickens with gas mix 90% argon/nitrogen/any other inert gas, maximum of 30% CO2, 2% O2. Even then I've read numerous studies suggesting adversion to the gas, and aphyixiation bradycardia (associated with pain in humans prior to having a heart attack).

You won't be able to get the gas mix correct with a homebrew method. Just crack their necks- faster for you and them.
>>
>>2392062

Also, creating a duel breed is well.... Whilst it is an interesting prospect, it doesn't work very well in reality in terms of feed-conversion ratio. Sorry, I looked into this as part of my early veterinary degree on the welfare front - happy to link you what I found.

Basically the issue is that the moment you create a hyrbid the feed-conversion-ratio for eggs/meat at least for anything commercial becomes non-viable. I guess for home consumption you'd be ok, but then I'd argue you'd be better off with a sussex/dorking- two good duel purpose breeds already available.

Just to be nosy, what exactly are you trying to achieve?
>>
>>2392193
I think that pain comes from lots of co2 in the blood
>>
>>2392193
You can buy bottles of nitrogen at the welding supply store, you are making this sound a lot more complicated than it is. There is no aversion to nitrogen gas, it's only once you start involving CO2 that there's is aversion.

>>2392194
And I have no interest in developing a commercially viable breed, not sure where you got that from. I plan to develop a breed that fits my own personal requirements and preferences as a hobby.
>>
>>2392249
Explain
>>
>>2392996
Not him but since I undertook a shittonne of safety engineering courses last year, here it goes

Body "counts" the amount of CO2 in your blood, to determine when you need to breathe and regulate your breath

Example given, when you are holding your breath, the oxygen-CO2 exchange in your lungs keeps going on normally, until you consume a large part of the oxygen
At a certain rate, despite of still having a sufficient supply of oxygen for possibly one more minute or so, your red cells have a hard time finding O2 molecules to exchange for CO2. This leads the blood CO2 levels to rise since they need to form a O2 bond in order to "ditch" the CO2, and this is where the feeling of suffocation comes from
The more CO2 in your blood the worse it gets, since your body screams at you to breathe.

That being said, body not only doesnt realise the lack of oxygen, but even more so, in a low oxygen enviroment you will drop in mere seconds if you try to breathe, since what you effectively doing is emptying your lungs from oxygen and take up nitrogen or argon or whatever there is in the room.

This is the reason for miners or people working in confined spaces needing devices alerting them to O2 levels, since your body doesnt realise its suffocating unless there is high amounts of CO2, you will drop dead before even realising something is wrong.

Which also makes the process completely non-painful
>>
>>2393009
Interesting read
>>
Go to /pol/ or /int/ and ask about gassing animals.
>>
>>2396755
>gassing animals
/pol/ loves nature, they only want to gas other people
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.