[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Long story short, lost my job a little over a year ago, had a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 6

File: 1268531009001.jpg (152KB, 652x430px) Image search: [Google]
1268531009001.jpg
152KB, 652x430px
Long story short, lost my job a little over a year ago, had a massive mental breakdown that I've still not completely recovered from. I'm unemployable and on benefits. It's taken five months to even get my rent assistance approved. I've had to file for bankruptcy and all that horseshit.

I keep a pair of 22 months old doe rats, who are often the only things that get me up of a morning. I've an awesome vet who lets me work off my debts for the little attention whoring hypochondriacs by scrubbing hospital cages. But in the last few weeks things have gotten lumpy. Behind the foreleg and just starting under one of the hind legs, to be specific. I've two does. One of them has sprouted lumps. The lumps can be removed fairly easily, assuming that there aren't any complications, but the vet has to charge me cash for this operation. I've enough money to cover it but it will completely clean me out. And lumpy girl is going to keep growing lumps as well, and very quickly at that.

At twenty two months and what will be the first of several surgeries, is it worth it? Not just financially, but also for my girl. Her relationship with her sister is another complication; they've bonded so strongly I don't expect either of them to hang around very long when the other dies, even if I introduce some kittens into the cage right now.

Yeah, I know. Don't keep pets unless you can afford them. But so far I've managed it even if I can't get the smell of guinea pig out of my car. And like I said, they're the ones who get me out of bed.
>>
>>2390433
Idk OP you tell me if its worth it
>>
honestly OP, even if you do the surgery, you will likely find new lumps within a week or two. thats the sad part about rats- they are such love but their little lives are short. enjoy your time together but let them go when they are beginning to suffer. Multiple major surgeries are hell on such small though noble beasts.
>>
2 years is about what you can expect out of most rats. I wouldn't do the surgery, personally. You'll probably have another couple months with her depending on how fast the tumors grow. I had a rat who remained happy, social, and reasonably active until his was about baseball-sized.

Sorry OP. For your own sake, consider choosing a pet with a longer lifespan.
>>
File: 14938475149512.jpg (62KB, 658x613px) Image search: [Google]
14938475149512.jpg
62KB, 658x613px
>>
>>2390470
>>2390591

When I asked the vet's opinion, and the opinion of a friend who keeps vermin as well, both of them were 50:50 each way. But the vet was pretty frank about there being more surgeries after this one. Rats heal quickly, but at her age it's going to get harder for her to recover.

Intellectually I've been leaning towards not giving her the surgery, but when her and her sister are running up and down my legs to get cuddles and scratches when I let them out to play of a night, it's hard to convince myself that letting them both go is the best thing.

>Sorry OP. For your own sake, consider choosing a pet with a longer lifespan.

I've been keeping girls for quite a few years before my BSOD; they're a difficult habit to break. But yeah, given my circumstances right now, I'm giving it some thought. There are some very good reasons why they've been the best pet for me before this, but maybe not right now.

>>2390614

Pretty much sums it up.
>>
File: Image7.jpg (161KB, 1752x1396px) Image search: [Google]
Image7.jpg
161KB, 1752x1396px
>>2391108

You unfortunately have two tumour-making machines. I'm going to be really honest with you, if you remove one lump, you'll likely be removing a few more further down the line. The basic problem is that a rats mammary tissue is huge compared to other animals, see pick related, and it's also really susceptible to neoplasia- often of a malignant nature. Their reproductive cycle doesn't help this either, but I digress.

I would be strongly tempted to wait until it effects her and then put her to sleep. I would be tempted to introduce some kittens into the cage/ a neutered male and go from there.
>>
>>2391669

This is true; I've been very lucky that I've only had one girl who grew tumours as fast as the doe I have now. But they started coming a lot sooner in her life, and slowed down a lot after she was desexed and had most of her mammary tissue removed at the same time. I've had a couple girls after that who were also lumpy, but their lumps were very slow growing and towards the end of their lives.

So, yeah, intellectually, you're right, but again, trying to convince the emotional part of my brain is giving me hell.
>>
>>2391994

Oh, aye, please don't get me wrong- I do know where you're coming from- I used to keep rats myself around ten years ago. After having quite a few of my buddies wind up with tumours I decided I couldn't cope with their short-life and bought a dog instead. Pick related!

*If* you were in a better financial position, and the hundreds for the surgery (just for realistically an extra few months) didn't impact on you then practically I'd say go for it. However, if I was in your situation then knowing their short length of life, I personally wouldn't financially bankrupt myself for a few months. I would spend the money making her as comfortable as possible for as long as she has.
>>
File: Ourlordandsaviour.jpg (48KB, 403x540px) Image search: [Google]
Ourlordandsaviour.jpg
48KB, 403x540px
>>2392190
>>
This isn't realistic for most people, but I got sick of having rodents and such live for a few years, get a million tumors and then shit themselves to death.
I finally got a pair of these goofy ass niggas and I've never been happier.
>>
File: 2015-05-14.jpg (39KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
2015-05-14.jpg
39KB, 512x384px
my rats died recently i'm still not over it, i took them to the vet and had them on antibiotics and it couldnt save them

all the joy you get from having them comes back in a concentrated wave of pain as they die
>>
>>2390433
Fellow ratfag here. It's really not worth it, anon. Not if they're 22 months old already. Not only will they just get more tumors, it's cruel to put the rat through all the pain and stress of surgery if it's not going to improve its life significantly.

They can live a surprising amount of time with lumps too. Just enjoy the time you have with them now and rather use what money you have to buy more rats one day.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.