/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how many of you are actually going to school for a degree in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5

File: 1495399632265.png (44KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
1495399632265.png
44KB, 657x527px
how many of you are actually going to school for a degree in biology or a related field?
Im going for a degree in an american university for wildlife biology.
>>
File: 1484023105443.jpg (76KB, 750x738px) Image search: [Google]
1484023105443.jpg
76KB, 750x738px
I have a BS in Animal Science w/ a minor in Biology.
>>
Most just end up as teachers. are there really even any other job positions?
>>
File: 4xLbOak.jpg (29KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
4xLbOak.jpg
29KB, 300x300px
>>2388979
Most I have been looking at (as far as animal science goes) require a bit of experience, which leads me to was to return for an MS.
>>
>>2388979
the remainder wind up working in industry and medicine at jobs that require basic lab experience but don't pay shit.

go to school 4 years to become a lab tech making $17/hour.
>>
>>2388989
You're getting finna fucking worked
>>
>>2388975
>Animal science
I was thinking of doing that but I was unsure if it would actually help with a career or just be a waste of money.
>>
Im a CS PhD student, I just hang out here for cute pics to send to girls I like.
>>
>>2388935
Biologists barely spend any time with animals, they do the opposite of that picture
>>
i am going to go to MSc Ecology and Evolution programme
>>
>>2389106
College is a waste of money. Learn a skilled trade.
>>
I have a few years, I think I want to graduate in biology education. It's an often looked down upon job (those who can't do teach, etc) but salaries in my state and states I'm interested in are more than good enough for me, plus summer vacation.

There's also a little bit of wiggle room in the curriculum to do cool things like run a class greenhouse or grow your own cultures for lab projects. An aquarium would be a good measurable and engaging accompaniment for the nitrogen cycle unit. We always had iguanas, fish, tarantulas, etc and the school had a pond for environmental science labs. Every senior took that class to dick around outside when the weather was good.

It's more animals & nature than your average urinalysis lab tech gets anyway
>>
>>2389139
>skilled trade
People always say this, but like what?
>>
>>2389179
Where is this utopia?
>>
>>2389139
What if my college is free?
>>
>>2389182
Welding, machining, plumbing, pipe fitting, steam fitting, electrician, pilot, etc.
>>
>>2389186
Then it's simply a waste of time.
>>
>>2389184
did your high school not have a pond and greenhouse

I went to two high schools in Indiana and Tennessee, both were paid for by the school for the use of environmental science and AP bio classes
>>
What about non-US jobs but graduating from a US college? Anything worth looking into in another country?

I imagine it'd be easier to be able to work with animals in say, South America.
>>
>>2389187
So basically blue collar jobs. I'm taking up nursing actually. What a realization.
>>
>>2389191
Basically, yes. The funny thing is that so many people put down blue collar workers and their jobs for so long, but the realization is now setting in for a lot of young people that not everyone can work in an office.
>>
>>2389194
young people are also getting thrown on their ass out of school and realizing that they might have to go back and wage in their home town until they get a moderately better opportunity to wage somewhere else

and these are marketable degrees from big schools too, not devry gender studies. it's catching up to everyone
>>
Currently studying animal science and management at UC Davis, but I realized in my sophomore year that I don't really give a fuck about animals or agriculture anymore

tfw valuable degree in a field you don't care about
>>
I was majoring in art but I recently changed to animal science cause I figured it would be a better career.
>>
>>2388935
Masters in chemistry from a very prominent university, albeit a SUNY school. Currently employed as truck driver.

No debt though.

Good luck you millenial cuckholds.
>>
>>2389219
What did he mean by this
>>
File: KILL_ME.jpg (9KB, 280x285px) Image search: [Google]
KILL_ME.jpg
9KB, 280x285px
>>2389107
Same. About to graduate with a BS in Bio and going into a masters in entomology
>>
I have a BS in Biology. Now I'm an medial lab technologist.
>>
>>2389179
As long as you don't put down your students that whole "those who can't do teach," thing won't apply to you. Usually demeaning teachers act like that because they're jaded that kids want to go into a field they couldn't handle/pay for/do. (Obviously I mean good students not asses who are wasting their own money and time.)

Teachers are necessary, and while they're retiring later they're still in demand. Just watch out for timing, we're seeing an influx of students going to tech schools instead of college - causing cuts in budget and a decrease in student body.
>>
>>2389211
Depends on which school you're at. Most of the seniors from the past four to five graduating art depts landed pretty great jobs. It's more based on reputation of the school than you're actual portfolio or the degree itself. Even kids who didn't graduate seem to land better positions than those who did in other schools here, just because they were trained in this college. I'm talking 60k starting, not 20k shit jobs at museums.
>>
>>2388935

I wanted to go into science, but I'm god awful at math. So I'm studying illustration, I'd like to do wildlife and scientific illustration. I get weird looks from the teachers as I'm not into the contemporary "conceptual" stuff.
>>
>>2388975
Currently studying Animal Science. What do you do now? I was hoping vet school or research.
>>
>>2389313
I get you, on another level anon. I'm very much into anatomy and how the human body changes as we move and shift our weight - I am predominantly a figure artist and have had many teachers say I shouldn't be in the art department because I'm "not creative." I would be if they required it, but they don't - assignments have outlines and I follow them. Though our school is much more into the reawakening of classical, old master techniques art we do have a spattering of professors who are into hanging potatoes off of ceilings and painting dog heads on horses in neon.

Good luck with your illustration aspirations, it's a hard market right now! Have you started selling yourself as a freelancer while in school?
>>
>>2389314
I still work as small time retail management, only graduated a couple of weeks ago. I looking to return for grad school.
>vet school
I was looking to do this, but I had a hard time with organic chemistry, which is required by vet schools in Texas along with Biochemistry. I kept a Biology minor so I could keep learning advanced biology, which I assume would be useful in research, which is one of my career prospects.
>>
>>2389323
Do you have any plans or hopes for after grad school?
>>
>>2389321

Thank you! I'm planning on looking into freelance stuff this summer actually. I had a great teacher last semester that gave some good advice. Thankfully my school is pretty well known for illustration and has a high employment rate for the arts, though its still hard.

I was lucky enough to have an anatomy class in which we actually got to visit an anatomy lab and examine real human specimens, incredibly helpful for figure drawing/painting.

I also took a biology class as well as an elective and every other week they had biologists come in who work in the field and tell us of their adventures. I found it very inspiring.

Good luck with your studies too!
>>
>>2389323
>had a hard time with organic chemistry
You and every other pre-vet med. I don't understand, it's basically just puzzles and mechanisms, once you memorize a process it becomes another tool for you to use. Synthesis problems are fun.
>>
>>2389219
>>2389242
SUNY means a state university in NY. Our schools are p. good but unknown to a lot of the country. I went to Binghamton and ended up doing math.
>>
File: 2017-05-23 20.57.25.png (280KB, 509x605px) Image search: [Google]
2017-05-23 20.57.25.png
280KB, 509x605px
Im a law student
>>
I have an AAS in veterinary technology.

Work at a shelter now. No regrets.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.