[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hedgehogs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: hedgehog-1.jpg (50KB, 400x378px) Image search: [Google]
hedgehog-1.jpg
50KB, 400x378px
Been researching them for the last few days. Do they make good pets if you know what you're doing? I live about 1:45 away from a reputable breeder.
>>
>>2388140
Bump im considering a hedgehog as a pet too
>>
>>2388140
I've owned one before and they are nice pets that are easy to take care of.
>>
I've had mine for almost a month now. Not exactly what I thought it was gonna be, even after all the research I did.

Just know that they're not playful at all, and they don't enjoy being handled, unless you find a 1/100 hedgie. It's extremely rare. All of the hedgehogs you see on youtube are the exceptions, and none of them really act like that.

They sleep constantly, and will only come out when it's the middle of the night, and the lights are out, and you're not around or sleeping. Every time I take mine out, he puts his head down and tries to hide and doesn't move. Then when I put him down, he stays there, without moving, until I ignore him, then he runs and hides. Any real interaction is almost impossible. Every once in a while, he'll poke his head out while I'm holding him, and he'll look at me, but that's about it. He'll go back to burying his head away, or he'll just shit in my hands.

And they do shit, alot. Even though he is potty trained (most of them naturally are) their shits are enormous for their size. And they shit like crazy when they're awake. And it smells pretty bad. They poop logs about the size of the large, long tootsie rolls, usually in their wheel, and then they run in it, over and over and over again, until they have little poop boots.

You have to clean the shit off their feet pretty often, or else they start to smell, and it's really gross holding them. And you do have to hold them, every day, otherwise they'll just stay in a prickly ball any time you try to pick them up. So you have to keep them used to you, not so that they'll play with you, cause they wont anyway, but so that they don't hurt you when they're in your hands. And they do hurt pretty bad. They're like giant sandspurs.

So yea, there you go. Even though I hate him sometimes, he's still my lil buddy, so I'm gonna take care of him no matter what, even though I somewhat regret it. But if you have any other questions, I'm happy to answer.
>>
>>2390039
This is very similar to my experience. I had a hedgehog for 6 years and he remained an anxious jerk until the day he died
>>
>>2390039
>one month

that seems like typical hedgehog behavior for how long you've had him. may i ask where you got him? they do have to be socialized often in order for them to feel comfortable and unfurl around you.
>>
>>2388140
I really like their faces but if I got one everyone would think its for the gay spikes.
>>
>>2390328
but the spikes are the best parts anon
>>
>>2390039
All of those 1 in 1000000 hedgies on YouTube are just the ones who had good owners its not some elusive personality trait its called a relationship
>>
>>2390039
You've only had your hedgehog for a month, anon. Give it time to get used to you. Mine had to be handled daily for at least 2-3 months before she warmed up to us properly. They have a lot of personality for their size, for sure, but I wouldn't rule yours out as unfriendly or aloof since you haven't had it long enough to know for sure.

It's very easy to get them used to your smell. I would take mine out and put her in my lap on a blanket and cover her with it so that she could burrow and nap in my lap. For us, this was the best way to bond. Don't give up.
>>
>>2390844
this
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.