[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do dogs actually love humans?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 10

File: 1495489642805.jpg (3MB, 3000x4000px) Image search: [Google]
1495489642805.jpg
3MB, 3000x4000px
My family bought a golden retriever. She follows me around and "plays" with me and I often pet her back and mess with her, but it all seems so shallow. Whenever she interacts with me I just see a cute hungry animal trying to get food out of me.

I guess I'm out of the norm. Is my thinking incorrect? Does the dog actually love me, or does she just want food? Am I just not a dog person?
>>
>>2387835
Probably just food. Dogs and cats always fuck off immediately after fed. Haven't touched my cat of 2 years in 3 weeks, it's mating season but the fucker doesn't appreciate being spoiled. I'm the only person that has ever touched the thing or had it in my lap too.
>>
>>2387835
>>2387839
Are you both autistic? Just asking for a friend.
>>
>>2387835
Dogs "cute" appearance and friendly behavior are attributed to neoteny aka pedomorphosis. Neoteny is the retention of a juvenile trait or stage from the life cycle of an ancestral species for an organism. The reason certain dogs have floppy ears, wrinkly faces, and curved tails that appear identical to wolf pups, is due to dogs being neotenic of wolves. Neoteny is not only superficial, it can also describe behaviors and hormone levels, in the case of many domestic dogs; their stress and hormone levels while interacting with humans are identical to that of wolf pups interacting with den mothers/pack members. Obviously this doesn't apply to all breeds, especially ones bred over thousands of years for intraspecific combat(dog fighting breeds) and primitive breeds(dingos, new zealand singing dogs, etc)

TL:DR Your dog loves you the same way a wolf pup loves its mother/fellow pack members

Citation: Degree of Behavioral Neoteny Differentiates Canid Polymorphs. R. Coppinger et. al. 1987
>>
>>2387856
Neat!
>>
This is why I think dogs are boring and overrated. You can't build a bond with a dog. A puppy or even mildly socialized dog will just love everyone no matter what. There's no effort put into building the relationship, so it all feels pointless and shallow.
>>
>>2387869
this is why dog people are so insufferable

they desire an animal that they have to put little to no work into for its undying affection and loyalty even if they beat the shit out of it. it translates to their interpersonal relationships too. as someone who works in animal services, i find dog people are routinely more narcissistic, self-absorbed, needy, and attention-seeking.
>>
>>2387873
I find working with herbivores more rewarding than any dog could ever be. I've been working with a flock of sheep lately. When I first started, they all were afraid of me. Over months, I slowly began to gain their trust, and finally, one day, one of them came up to me on her own. Dog owners will never know the joy I felt that day. She'll still come up to me whenever I arrive to this day, along with some others. But that one will forever be my favorite.
>>
>>2387873
Truth was spoken
>>
You guys done jerking each other off with your personal blogs yet?

We can all wait until you guys are done if not.
>>
I think they do, same way we love our own family a dog loves its family, which is you
>>
>>2387873

Please don't make me feel like a normie piece of shit for wanting a dog, anon. I'm so lonely. I've always had cats but most of them are depressingly independent.
>>
>>2387952
Why? Did we forget to jerk you off?
>>
I honestly think it depends on the breed of dog.

Like, for example, I have seen JRT's, Rat Terriers, and German shepherds be friendly with people they meet, but be very focused and loyal and only show certain types of affection towards their specific owner and a few of their family members. Where as labs and most pitbulls remind me of bubbly people and just love everyone.

I don't know if it equates to love in the same way that you are trying to measure, but I would say that some dogs definitely show stronger bonds and show more affection in ways that a dog shows affection.
>>
>>2387976

>caring about what people on a carribean shell shucking board think

Terminal normieness. Get whatever the fuck you want as long as you take good care of it.
>>
>>2387873
>even if they beat the shit out of it
The needy brittany spaniel/beagle mix that I had to take away from my sister-in-law who physically beat the shit out of it who STILL winces when you raise your hand even after three years away from said abuse would beg to fucking disagree.
>>
>>2387985
Pit bulls loving everyone.
Nigger Pitbulls were bred to fight and account for the majority of dog attacks in the USA.
The instinct to fuck things up is literally bred into them.
Don't spread your hippy Pitbulls are cuddly dogs bullshit here. It's only going to result in more children getting their faces maimed off by parents thinking a pitbull was a good choice of dog to have around a toddler.
>>
>>2388016
>The instinct to fuck things up is literally bred into them
And it is the responsibility of the owner to train that shit out of them.

It's fucking dogs 101, god damn.
>>
Animals don't feel love, get used to it.
>>
>>2388048
This, and only normie faggots expend any meaningful effort into taking care of animals that literally cannot love them back.

If you own animals that don't physically give something back (milk, eggs, etc.) then you're a fucking idiot
>>
>>2388017
not everyone is good at training dogs. it's the case for most people, thus why some people ask for dog trainers to do it for them
>>
>>2388053

By that logic noone should own anything other than a bed and food you retard.
>>
>>2387873
wow what a retarded, you don't need to generalize

kys faggot
>>
>>2387976
what the hell sort of cats have you had? all of mine i've had usually bother the heck out of me for attention or love at least once a day
>>
do humans actually love humans? we try to only spend time around other humans that we get something from in return, be it money, power, or simple enjoyment. if we didn't get any benefits from being with others we would avoid them. when you say you like or love another human, do you actually love the human itself or do you love the relatively complex entanglement of projection, emotion, and ideology? while "love" has a distinctly human connotation that has no non-human analogue, can you really say that relationships between humans are that much different than relationships between members of different species?

animals just see it more basally than we do, and don't layer on a bunch of bullshit on top of it.
>>
File: this is you.jpg (666KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
this is you.jpg
666KB, 1280x1024px
>>2387869
>>2387873
>>2388048
>>2388053
>cat fags

Subhuman scum like this just need to be put down for their own good.
>>
>>2388017
>It's fucking dogs 101, god damn

Unless you're an expert. The way Ceaser Memelan and libtards promote pitbull like any other dog astonishes me. They're a hard breed to keep and you seriously need the time and skill to properly train and take care of them, if not you're just waiting for another statistic to be covered up.
>>
>>2388048
Humans are animals.
>>
>>2387835
I actually did a small scale study on this myself for the shits and giggles a few years ago.
My uncle breeds dogs and the ones he doesn't sell he usually keeps. He has like 6 dogs and can't look after them all so I offered to take the 3 he had left. They were all male and were all spaniels.

The dogs were called Zeus, Ralph and Bud.

For the first year I had them only I fed Zeus but only my gf played/interacted with him, gf fed Ralph and I played/interacted with him and Bud was fed and interacted with my gf only as a control.

I found that

I found that Ralph would answer my calls and was really affectionate to me whilst the other two would mostly ignore me (specifically Bud).

I came to the conclusion that interaction is by far the most important when dogs form attachments to people but food also plays a small factor.

All three of the dogs now love me after my study so it seems like there isn't a critical period in which dogs make attachments to people.
>>
>>2387835
My dog cuddles up with me, licks my wounds, and is really happy too see me after any period of time. While it might not be true for all dogs, they are definitely loving animals. You just have one of the dumbest dopey types of dogs.
>>
>>2387835
Rape it so you can give it 100% more attention
>>
>>2387873
>I like a pet who doesnt need me because le bond is real that way

No, you want a pet that doesnt need you because you are irresponsible and undependable like literally every cat person I have ever knew
>>
>>2388343
>literally the most affectionate breed
>among the smartest by any metric

OP is an autist and you might be a retard

>>2388389
catfags are a plague on humanity
>>
>>2387873
dog people suck because like 10% actually know how to train a dog. Plus i can't stand people who bring their dogs fucking everywhere
>>
>>2387867
Seconding neatness
>>
>>2388425
Beats catfag. Less than 1% know how to train cats. Less than 5% even know you can train cats at all.
>>
>>2387959
That's basically the reason why you "love" your family. They feed you, give you home... the same reasons why a dog or any pet likes you.
>>
>>2388454
all you have to train it to do is shit in a box, it doesn't really need to know to do anything else

but you have to train a dog to do all sorts of shit if you ever want to have it around other people
>>
>>2388243
>MUH DOGGO LOVES ME YOU TOXOPLASMOSISFAG :((((((
Understand that animals don't feel emotions like humans
>>
>>2388530
Ah yes, as opposed to cats who don't need to learn anything because whenever you have someone home, you just kick the cat out.
>>
>>2388565
you don't have to kick the cat out. most cats i've had are skittish of people, some will greet them, but they won't fucking tackle people like an untrained or excited dog will, and they don't meow at strangers. dogs i've seen bark their ass off (unless their trained otherwise) its disgusting

its ok to be cucked by your dog, anon.
>>
File: Coil_ApeOfNaples_cover.jpg (22KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
Coil_ApeOfNaples_cover.jpg
22KB, 400x400px
>>2388280
>>
>>2388721
this is 90% of the reason i hate dogs. dogs are amazing animals when they're polite and quiet, when they're friendly but not over-bearing. most people are too fucking stupid or lazy to train their dog out of jumping at people or barking endlessly and it's so irritating. if i approach a dog to pet it and it starts jumping or barking i instantly nope the fuck away and hope the person feels embarrassed about their shitty training.
>>
>>2388530
>it doesn't really need to know to do anything else
>cat is an asshole to guests, scratching shoes, climbing on them, biting hands for attention
>haha le cats are that way, le strong character, why dont you like cats?

Get your misbehaving little shit to another room or I will explain him who is on top of the food chain

Dog people are just aware to other people inconveniences because they are not autists and can relate with other beings(which is why they got a dog in the first place) and have COMMUNICATED with their pet that such behavior is unacceptable

>le oppression
Its called a relationship, there are always compromises even among humans, something you wouldnt know about you disgusting unsocialized catfag
>>
>>2388839
thought i was in /mu/ for a sec
>>
>>2389076
The problem is, this behavior is "endearing" or "playful" to dogfags
>>
File: fnhum-06-00031-g002.jpg (84KB, 564x249px) Image search: [Google]
fnhum-06-00031-g002.jpg
84KB, 564x249px
We need more replies like this >>2387856 which actually discusses research instead of personal anecdotes and edgy fedoras like >>2388048

For instance, a study was done on measuring levels of oxytocin between dog owners and their dogs. Oxytocin in mammals such as humans and dogs is involved with stimulating paternal behavior ie what we would call loving behavior. So higher levels of oxytocin produce more likelyhood of loving behavior while being around someone you are in a relationship with like a mother or lover produces more oxytocin creating this positive feedback loop.

So what they found was when the dog owners looked into their dog's eyes both they and their dogs produced higher levels of oxytocin.

Here's where it gets interesting, they did the same thing with owners of wolfs but found that neither had a change in oxytocin. What does this mean? Humans and dogs have specifically coevolved together to produce the oxytocin positive feedback loop.

tldr your dog not only loves you but humankind has coevolved with dogs so that they both produce love for each other.
>>
>>2389260
>oxytocin is love meme

dropped, also try citing the actual study next time instead of just hotlinking an image from it.
>>
>>2389348
http://science.sciencemag.org/content/348/6232/333

Now why don't you cite something before you contradict a highly studied phenomena that is taught in all neurobehavioral institutes.
>>
>>2388339
I don't think food means all that much to a dog if they getting fed recently.
Growing up my mother always fed the pets but I played, walked and trained them.

She would always get pissed because they would ignore her commands and pull on the lead when she walked them but instantly responded to my commands/calls and walked by my side when I walked them.
>>
>>2387835
Almost everyone ITT is wrong. The answer is most definitely YES. Dogs do share a bond with humans. It is down to how the species evolved along side each other over such a long period of time.

Extensive scientific studies and neurological studies show that the brains of puppies light up a considerable amount when they are shown a human baby who they do not already know, whereas they do not when shown newborns of other species. The feelings are reciprocated as human babies' brains also light up when they a puppy is placed before them, again considerably more than if for example a kitten is. Puppies and human babies also hold eye contact for much longer than other pairings. There seems to be an instinctive bond between the two species.

Also, once they are settled and in a home, dogs view their human family as their pack. The behaviour they display is incredibly similar to the behaviour displayed by dogs in the wild when interacting with other dogs. Further proof that dogs love humans is that they quite clearly show affection towards their owners when they detect that their owners are upset, and studies have shown that they do this even when already well fed. Other animals are unable to even detect human emotions in the first place but dogs seem to have a natural ability to, again most likely because of their evolution alongside man.

Man's best friend.
>>
>>2387835

>tfw my dog likes to hang out when we're both finished eating
>he'll rest his head on my lap and watch some tv.
>watches me play vidya
>he's a good dog
>>
>>2389076
>my cats have never done any of that
well, one used to bite my hands for attention but he left strangers alone

stay mad dog cuck
>>
>>2389076
>Dog people are just aware to other people inconveniences because they are not autists and can relate with other beings(which is why they got a dog in the first place)

>relating to a dog
um, so you shit in the open, and are completely dependent on other people to feed you and take care of you?

what kind of mega autist are you
>>
>>2387835
It's called autism anon.
>>
>>2388535
No, is the oposite of that. They're not smart, so they live by emotions.
>>
Dude, I remember my dog running around the house like crazy for 5 minutes, and then jumping and licking me whenever i came home from somewhere.
They love us alright
>>
>>2387869
you have autism right
surely that's why you're THIS retarded
>>
File: adventures.jpg (138KB, 496x710px) Image search: [Google]
adventures.jpg
138KB, 496x710px
>>2387835
this is the Potomus. We rescued her from an animal-shelter...she's some kind of terrier mix. She loves the shit out of me, would rather have affection from me than treats, and when I leave her with my folks when I'm on vacation she won't eat for a day or two (I need to leave her a dirty shirt to cuddle with).

Yep...dogs feel love.
>>
>>2387869
How would you react if your gf/bf had friends? Or even if you're friends had friends besides you? Would you call it shallow?
>>
>>2388261
Some of them are love bugs that just need to be touched and scratched and loved. They play hard though, so you need to have a solid "calm down" command that you take seriously.
>>
>>2387856
>1987
>>>/trash/
>>
>>2387869
>>2387873
>>2387881
See
>>2387952
>>
File: 2017-05-25 01.04.55.jpg (269KB, 530x945px) Image search: [Google]
2017-05-25 01.04.55.jpg
269KB, 530x945px
This dummy is 11, going on 12 in august. He never learned how to use stairs as a pup and he's terrified to go up and down them now. Always has been

Grandpa died a couple of weeks ago, and he didn't drive and rarely left the house so he was this dogs best friend they spent all their time together and he loved the dog ad much as the dog loved him. He'd be reading the news paper, doing the puzzles, and the dog was always sitting right by his side.

Grandpa's room was upstairs, and after he died and a few days had gone by this dog started to sit at the bottom of the stairs. He would look up them, tap his feet on them, but never climb.

Yesterday he made his move, I guess he got tired of waiting so he finally worked up the nerve, step by step his legs shaking nervously the whole way he slowly climbed to the top.
He sniffed his way to grandpa's room and started flipping out, running in circles, jumping around, rolling on the floor with his tail wagging like crazy like he just found him.
Then he just laid there, for over an hour almost two, and continued waiting.
He wouldn't move, tried to bait him with bacon which he was happy to eat when it was in reach, but he wouldn't even get up for it.
He would still probably be there if I didn't physically pick him up and carry him back down

The whole thing was king of heart breaking
>>
>>2389535
>um, so you shit in the open, and are completely dependent on other people to feed you and take care of you?
>cant understand an analogy or tell it apart from sameness
>calls other people autists

Hehe
>>
>>2387835
Reacent studies have shown that dogs release oxytocin when they interact with owners and family members. Thats the same chemical thats released when mothers hold their babies and when we interact with loved ones. So yes, its pretty scientifically safe to say dogs bond with us in the same way we do to eachother.
Cats do too, but to a lesser extent, suggesting that while they do give a shit about us on some level, compared to dogs they are antisocial bastards.

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2015/04/how-dogs-stole-our-hearts
>>
>>2387851
lold
>>
>>2387873
Generalizing never makes you sound smart or knowledgeable, you know? You're the one missing out anyway.
>>2387869
You need help, friend.
>>
>>2389651
"FUCK, MY FOOD DISPENSER IS GONE. FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK HOW AM I GONNA GET FOOD"
>>
>>2387873
I like this post because the dogfag replies to this thread all proved him right.
>>
>>2388067
And some BITCH to fuck amirite
>>
>>2389947
as far as this dog knows the bowl is a magical bottomless food hole. It is kept full, he's free to eat when ever he wants
>>
catfags are cancer
>>
File: images.jpg (97KB, 709x1080px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
97KB, 709x1080px
>>2387835
Read this.

Book about dog behavior and psychology written by a animal behaviorist. I really love the author. Every single thing is backed by well researched studies. Dedicated two pages in the back to his sources so you know he didn't pull shit out of his ass and even mentions every researcher by name.

Last chapter asks if dogs can be heroes. I'll just tell you the story in the chapter that made me cry.

>German Shepard is sleeping in a dining room in his family's home.
>Fire starts in the home.
>The dog has the chance to get out because they left the sliding glass door open so he could get out and pee at night
>He doesn't go out.
>He starts barking like crazy.
>Family doesn't hear him.
>He still has the chance to leave.
>He claws and bites his way through a wooden door that leads to the other parts of the house.
>He ran upstairs past the fire.
Raced into the parents bedroom and woke them up and then the kids.
>Everyone ran outside.
>Everyone lived because he didn't abandon his pack.
>Fire men found deep slashes and burns on his sides later from when he crawled through the hole in the door.
>>
>>2387835
They want your love and attention. Try talking to a friend and be really into them in front of her while ignoring her completely. She will instantly try to get your attention and be jealous. It has been proven they can feel jealousy.
Female dogs will become jealous of their babies if the owners shower them with more love because they are "cute."

Be happy you have a golden retriever. If you really want to feel like you are nothing but a walking food dispenser, get a fucking terrier. Dominance is very common in them and most terrier breeds were not bred to desire to do what a human wants at all.
>>
>>2390245
...did doggo died
>>
File: IMG_0411.jpg (77KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0411.jpg
77KB, 1024x683px
A lot of generalization is happening in this thread about entire species. Dogs and cats are individuals, some or more physically affectionate than others. Some are more needy than others for physical touch. They all show affection for you in different ways, even when they are not just doing it to get food.

Cats I've owned act different when they want food vs wanting some affection. For many of them, they want food, it's lots of pathetic meows and trying to lead me to their food bowl. They almost always have food, I leave lots of dry food out anc they don't choose to overeat and get fat (which is kind of starnge for indoor cats, they would usually eat until their obese if you let them).

When they just want affection, they do any combination of: quietly come up to you, rub against you, jump on your lap, sit next to you, do the slow blink/squint thing with their eyes, lots of purring. If you really love you, you'll get lots of bunting (head buts) and flopping onto their back for belly rubs and armpit scratches.

Some cats and dog will follow you around all day, others with just check in with you once or twice for some socialization. They're like people, some are loners that like their quiet time, and some are super social and crave social interaction.

On top of different personalities, how they behave around you is hugely influenced by how much they trust you. They can't be relaxed and loving if you haven't built up trust, or if you've broken the trust by harming or scaring them too many times without enough positive interactions.
>>
>someone doesn't like the animal I like
>calls anons autistic

???
>>
>>2387869
>. A puppy or even mildly socialized dog will just love everyone no matter what.

No....absolutely not.

The only reason some dogs are attention whores is because the g'damn owners let every idiot they ever came in contact with "ooh" and "aahhh" them when they were pups, and shower them with affection for no fucking reason. Those dogs grow accustomed to seeking out people to pet them and give them attention.

If you tell people to fuck off when they approach your pup and dog, then your dog isn't going to view every person on the planet as a petting machine, and won't seek their attention.
>>
>>2390406
>If you tell people to fuck off when they approach your pup and dog

then your dog will be a neurotic annoying fuck who growls at strangers or gets protective over you/fearful instead of being calm. Then you're gonna get it shipped off to the kill shelter.
>>
>>2390409

If you don't let people shower your dog with attention, then he will just IGNORE them, you stupid fuck. The dog keys off of YOU for who and what is bad, so if you're not alarmed, then the dog isn't alarmed. That's the way we raise our working dogs that work in close proximity to the public.

Moron.
>>
>>2387835
>Do dogs actually love humans?

No because love is literally a meme.
>>
>>2390245
>inb4 some catfag responds "my cat has done this twice"
>>
File: 1495687709405.jpg (85KB, 1387x702px) Image search: [Google]
1495687709405.jpg
85KB, 1387x702px
>>2390420
who hurt you anon
>>
>>2389651
Poor dog. Sorry about your grandfather.
>>
Yes. If you don't think so you're probably legitimately mentally challenged.
>>
Ehh, one of "my" cats only cares for the snuggles from me even though it's my mother who feeds them. In general cats don't like my mom, I guess because she gives off mixed signals. One second she gives you food, the next shouts and shoots you away
>>
>>2390420
This, love isn't real
>>
>>2390395
>/an/ Animals & Nature
>>
>>2390245
>Jon Katz
heh
>>
>>2387835
Do people actually "love" one another? What do think it means to be loved?
>>
>>2388013
You wince when you have a hand raised in your direction it's called reflexes you sperg.
>>
>>2391373
to enjoy someone's company because you like them as a person. simple as that.
>>
get a cat
>>
>>2391488
That's a pretty low standard for love, man. I wouldn't say I love any of my bartenders(except for one. She's super sweet and cute), but I do enjoy their company.
>>
>>2391616
I guess I described liking someone instead of loving someone.
I've never experienced real love with anyone, I don't think. maybe that's why I don't feel anything from animals.
>>2391606
that's literally my dream right now
>>
>>2388243
I'm not a cat person and i agree with all but the last two, personally i like rats because you actually have to gain their trust and do a shit ton and it's really rewarding when they do finally love you back.
Dogs on the other hand just love everyone, you don't have to do anything which eventually makes them boring.
>>
>>2391632
Most people don't know what real love is. That's why they think animals can give it to them in the first place. They don't understand that real love is not out of dependency or obligation, nor is it deprecating or patronizing.
>>
>>2391373
An intense emotional and instinctual urge to protect and be around another individual.
Thread posts: 99
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.