[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

HOLY FUCK IT'S A POSSUM BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: hqdefault.jpg (23KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
23KB, 480x360px
So, dogoo keeps thinking he sees possums running across the back fence after seeing one do it once. Now he keeps wanting to go out back every fucking night and go in the back corner and will not fucking come out.

He's four and fucking knows when I want him to come in. I could not fucking get him to come. Shook the treat jar, nothing. Went out there and called him, nothing. Went out there with a fucking flashlight and yelled, nothing. I had to get in the fucking bushes with a stick and get between him and the fence and CHASE him back into the fucking house. He kept trying to get back to the fucking fence. He could've sat out there all night barking at the fence if I'd left him. And in an hour he'll want to go out again, ostensibly to pee.

I know, he's a dog, he's territorial, he's doing his job, and I'm proud of him for keeping me safe from those nasty possum fuckers. But how the FUCK do I teach him to get in the house right the fuck now?
>>
I have a similar problem with a Shepherd mix. She'll disappear sometimes looking for wildlife and barks furiously when there's one on the fence. Though she only acts this way if there's actually a opossum (or a rat). My other dog joins in, but recalls. But for the other it's like I'm not even there. The other night I had to hose her so she'd acknowledge me. I don't even want her to fuck with opossums. They kill rats and roaches.
>>
>>2387385
>But how the FUCK do I teach him to get in the house right the fuck now?

The relationship should go tell, make. Not ask....then ask again....then ask again.

Use an e-collar, or a long line, and do daily recall drills from outside where you issue your recall command, give him a half a second to comply, then start dragging his ass inside, or hit him with the E-collar, then reward with affection when he shows up.

With enough repetition, he'll get the message.
>>
>>2387397
Are possums disease carriers?
>>
>>2387417
They're definitely not very clean. They have these awful stink glands they use when they get panicked. Smells like the most rotten shit ever.
>>
>>2387400
You shouldn't force a dog to do what you want. The issue is that they may just wait until they make you. Also that is not how you use an electronic collar. The shock collars should be used to get their attention only, not as a punishment. That's why shock collars get such a bad rap in the first place, people are using them to shock their dogs whenever they do something bad. When you use an e collar for first starting recall, you should be able to see your dog. Never use it if you can't see where your dog is. It should really only be used to get him to refocus, like if he's chasing a squirrel and quickly getting away from you. But if you start with no long lead in a big open area, you're pretty much setting yourself up for failure. You also want to make sure you have a good treat that is better than whatever stimulation the dog gets from roaming. It can be food or a toy or even attention. The idea is that you want to be a better source of reinforcement than the environment, so when you call the dog will want to come to you rather than chase some dumb fucking animal.
>>
>>2387417
Rabies and other shit.
>>
>>2387503
Possums actually dont carry rabies and eat actually dangerous things like ticks. Possums arent evil, they're just kinda ugly.
>>
File: possum.jpg (116KB, 500x560px) Image search: [Google]
possum.jpg
116KB, 500x560px
>>2387704
>possums
>ugly
back off?!?!
>>
>>2387417
Not any more than any other animal. Their body temp is very low so rabies has an almost impossible to carry rabies or any incubating disease.

Opossums are your friends.
>>
>>2387727
They're really ugly when you have to pitchfork them.
>>
>>2387501
>The idea is that you want to be a better source of reinforcement than the environment

There are times when the environment is far more rewarding than anything you can offer, including food. And that's why aversives exist, and that's why you use them.

You shouldn't be giving advice, or ever own a dog.
>>
>>2387773
I'm very hung over.
*Low body to so rabies and other incubating diseases has great difficulty surviving even when directly exposed.

I also have a similar issue with my dog I'm working on. What has helped is making them wait by the door for me, and holding them until they calm down. They want to bolt out and run and bark at the fence but I make them wait. As I have their attention, I don't let them walk too far away from me. It hasn't solved when someone else let's them out and they will still check the fence or bolt to it if they do see something but we are getting somewhere.

My neighbor got a puppy and they go nuts wanting to greet it too so I stand by the fence with them. They are allowed to sniff through the chain link but any jumping or barking, I make them go away or back inside. Sucks for me because my dogs rather be outside, and ever since the neighbors got a dog they are also always outside. I don't want my dogs to bother them but they have shitty backyard manners. Very good with dogs outside the yard otherwise.
>>
>>2387385
Choke him gently while he is on his back. Make him mind.
>>
>>2387385
Mike is that you? Is that Sammi in your picture?
>>
>>2387868
No, and pic is random from Google. My dog is a Bichon.
>>
>>2388006
Oh, yeah, of course. ;)

Sorry guys, I was wrong, this isn't Mike *wink wink*, it's someone who got the picture from "google".
>>
>>2387794
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOSbbJf1Nxo&list=PLMssKIjsDxXmP8F3r9Bu8R6d_l4RZp7HD

There's 8 videos in that playlist.

8 videos proving you wrong.
>>
>>2388069

Go troll somewhere else with that bullshit.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.